ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame's Offensive Line In 2020

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
I personally think that Jeff Quinn ought to be replaced and I've been saying that for some time. That said, I also think I'd like to see the following personnel change heading into next year. I genuinely think Josh Lugg needs to be out at tackle. I think it's a lot more natural for him than it it is for Robert Hainsey.

Assuming they all come back in order to improve their draft stock, my starting OL next year would be...

LT: Liam Eichenberg
LG: Aaron Banks
C: Robert Hainsey
RG: Tommy Kraemer
RT: Josh Lugg

I think that Jarrett Paterson should be the 6th man and slot back in as a starter in 2021, when he's bigger and stronger.

Last edited:
I personally think that Jeff Quinn ought to be replaced and I've been saying that for some time. That said, I also think I'd like to see the following personnel change heading into next year. I genuinely think Josh Lugg needs to be out at tackle. I think it's a lot more natural for him than it it is for Rovert Hainsey.

Assuming they all come back in order to improve their draft stock, my starting OL next year would be...

I think that Jarrett Paterson should be the 6th man and slot back in as a starter in 2021, when he's bigger and stronger.

Totally agree on that 5 alignment. Every guy is NFL.

Paterson gets blown back lots. Banks whiffs lots and is a bit inactive if not in contact. Rest I agree with.

Not sure about Quinn. Recruits well, they don’t seem to be lost. Pass protect very well, with our backs that take 6 min to hit a hole could be some of that. Significant grads lose last 2 years. Maybe there is better coaches

Reactions: sawfish1
I personally think that Jeff Quinn ought to be replaced and I've been saying that for some time. That said, I also think I'd like to see the following personnel change heading into next year. I genuinely think Josh Lugg needs to be out at tackle. I think it's a lot more natural for him than it it is for Robert Hainsey.

I think your post is spot on. ND continues to recruit at a very high level at the OL position, yet, other than when Quentin Nelson was still at ND, the OL under performs. Quinn is NOT an elite level OL coach, and in order for ND to get back to top 5 status, they need an elite OL coach. ND gets the upper tier OL recruits - now they need and deserve an elite OL coach. The days of Kelly's buddies getting coaching jobs needs to stop. ND is very close to being an elite football team and already an elite college education.

I think your post is spot on. ND continues to recruit at a very high level at the OL position, yet, other than when Quentin Nelson was still at ND, the OL under performs. Quinn is NOT an elite level OL coach, and in order for ND to get back to top 5 status, they need an elite OL coach. ND gets the upper tier OL recruits - now they need and deserve an elite OL coach. The days of Kelly's buddies getting coaching jobs needs to stop. ND is very close to being an elite football team and already an elite college education.
True

Agree. What are the odds Kelly will actually get rid of Quinn?

What concerned me was what I considered an underperforming left side line with Nelson, an All Pro NFL Cowboy and MacGlinchey a starting tackle for the 49ers.

An All Pro NFL guard and a starting NFL tackle, that’s about as powerful A left side as you can get, add in Smythe or Jones at TE and you have to ask, did that line perform up to its potential

Reactions: Riverside Irish
What concerned me was what I considered an underperforming left side line with Nelson, an All Pro NFL Cowboy and MacGlinchey a starting tackle for the 49ers.

An All Pro NFL guard and a starting NFL tackle, that’s about as powerful A left side as you can get, add in Smythe or Jones at TE and you have to ask, did that line perform up to its potential
The left side was dominant in 2017 when we won the Joe Moore award

Reactions: Pennick4

Either way we have 6 high quality lineman. With an elite coach, we have a dominating o line

Reactions: The Oyster Guy
i'm pretty happy with the development of Patterson. I think he has a chance to be outstanding. I also think that much like Kraemer last year Banks needs to lose at least 15 pounds or more. way too heavy in my opinion. Kraemer in much better shape this year and it showed.

i wouldn't move Patterson. by most reports Hainsey will not be ready for spring practice. I think he would be ideal in that 6th man role. The move of Hainsey to center would have been made last spring in the ideal situation. Too late now in my opinion. I think Patterson has a huge upside. wouldn't mess with him at all.

Last edited:
I maintain the best Oline coach during the BK era was Ed Warriner who went to OSU and is now at Michigan.

Heistand recruited and developed some really nice individual talents but I dont think the unit as a whole ever worked as good under Heistand (and now Jeff Quinn) as it did under Warriner back in 2010 & 2011 and Warriner had less talent to work with at OL.

It could be that ND just had far more talented players at RB on the roster back then so it's hard to say for sure where to place the blame/credit.

Last edited:
Question regarding OL physical prototype

For the spread offense? what type of OL prospect do you look for? vs pro-set
in-the-pocket offense vs run first oriented offense.
Are the linemen you recruit different?

I agree 100% with Echo on this one.

-Patterson is playing pretty well, might be our best pulling Olinemen
-Banks could lose a few pounds
-Lugg might be better than Hainsey
-If hainsey is 100% he probably starts though (lugg can coe back in 21)

To return all 5 starting olinemen for a line that is going to grade out pretty well, they should be primed to have an even better season than 17 line. 17 had 2 studs but had some major weaknesses as well.

Interesting, Cade Mays, who we recruited very heavily but lost to UGA, went into the season as the "floater", the 6th guy in the Oline hierarchy, who has to know the plays from every position . He just became the first player on record at UGA to play all five Oline positions in the same season.

I want patterson to stay at center and not move around for one year because this is his first year at the position. there are so many little nuances he's still learning, i'd hate to see that slow down.

Reactions: IrishMike409

So is 2022 our year to win it all? We will have Buchner and consistently great recruiting classes.

Buchner will be starter. Hamilton a senior captain. Chris Tyree and Jordan Johnson veterans. The 2020 class might hurt us a bit. Only #15. 2021 looks great.

I blame Ian Book......

Quinn is going nowhere. Patterson should stay at center. Hansey was playing great.

Fact is we will not win he title this season. 2020 and 2021 seem unlikely given the qb situation. 2022 season seems the highest possibility.

That will be Kyle Hamilton‘s senior year. He will be sick!

If Kyle Hamilton is here in year 4, he either regressed significantly, or wants to take a significant gamble with his body and his financial future to obtain a piece of paper that will be waiting for him after he makes a few million dollars in the NFL. Just like Julian Love, go get paid my man. Set your family up, invest safely, then finish up your degree once you are established.

If Kyle Hamilton is here in year 4, he either regressed significantly, or wants to take a significant gamble with his body and his financial future to obtain a piece of paper that will be waiting for him after he makes a few million dollars in the NFL. Just like Julian Love, go get paid my man. Set your family up, invest safely, then finish up your degree once you are established.[/

Agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT