ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame should hire Willie Taggart

Catholicfan95

ND Expert
Jun 3, 2013
Before you go all up in arms just hear me out. Over the past 5 or 6 years Nick Saban has been doing some incredible things when it comes to bringing on failed head coaches to join his staff at Alabama. Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian and Butch Jones have all failed as head coaches of elite level programs (within a 5 year period) but seem to be assets when it comes to coaching staff additions. Both Kiffin and Sarkisian were/are OC and under both the Alabama offenses seem to really be potent. Jones is now an offensive analyst dealing with a myriad of analytics that impact the offense, from DD to personnel packages best suited for certain situations. This kind of diversification at different positions among a coaching staff has paid off for Saban.

I think that if Brian Kelly were to hire Willie Taggart it would be a huge asset in recruiting as well as diversifying the football knowledge in the coaches room. Some guys just are not meant to be head coaches, but that does not mean they do not have anything to offer. I think a move like this would be a good addition to the program. Odds of this happening are slim to none but this kind of thinking separates good teams from great teams.

Before you go all up in arms just hear me out. Over the past 5 or 6 years Nick Saban has been doing some incredible things when it comes to bringing on failed head coaches to join his staff at Alabama. Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian and Butch Jones have all failed as head coaches of elite level programs (within a 5 year period) but seem to be assets when it comes to coaching staff additions. Both Kiffin and Sarkisian were/are OC and under both the Alabama offenses seem to really be potent. Jones is now an offensive analyst dealing with a myriad of analytics that impact the offense, from DD to personnel packages best suited for certain situations. This kind of diversification at different positions among a coaching staff has paid off for Saban.

I think that if Brian Kelly were to hire Willie Taggart it would be a huge asset in recruiting as well as diversifying the football knowledge in the coaches room. Some guys just are not meant to be head coaches, but that does not mean they do not have anything to offer. I think a move like this would be a good addition to the program. Odds of this happening are slim to none but this kind of thinking separates good teams from great teams.

Thinking today is USC is going to retain Helton and make Taggert an Asst H.C.
Also the past 2 weeks the offense has scored too many points, so Tyson H. will return as OC and asst H.C. (GH will be demoted).

Last edited:
I like the idea... but I only seeing it working at a place like Alabama with a coach as dominate and solid in his stability as Saban..... BK farts and their are 30% of the fanbase kicking and screaming wanting him fired. If you bring in an assistant of that magnitude he may become as popular as the backup qb....

BK may not be confident enough in his stability.....

Also, if USC keeps Helton and hires Taggert....... that is a wild move. BK has 100x more stability than Helton.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
I like the idea... but I only seeing it working at a place like Alabama with a coach as dominate and solid in his stability as Saban..... BK farts and their are 30% of the fanbase kicking and screaming wanting him fired. If you bring in an assistant of that magnitude he may become as popular as the backup qb....

Also, if USC keeps Helton and hires Taggert....... that is a wild move. BK has 100x more stability than Helton.

The hot rumor is that George Costanza will be hired as Director of Football Operations.

Reactions: BGI User 1596

It really has only been prevalent at Bama, they are on the forefront of this kind of thinking. And to your point, I think you are right when it come to BK and him hiring someone of that caliber. Now, if USC keeps Helton, which would surprise me, I could see them making a move to get Taggart but I think he would be squandered in Hollywood.

Reactions: nemeth#5

"Notre Dame should hire Willie Taggart"

Interesting, just don't see Kelly dong that

I wouldn't hire him simply based on the unknown. BK has shown before to have an NFL interest...moreover how much longer is Brian Kelly wanting to coach. We don't know those answers and bringing Taggart in could only muddy a possible future HC hiring situation.

As much as I dislike BK I'd rather have him than Taggart.

In other words I wouldn't even want Taggart anywhere near the HC candidate process.

I think there are much better assistants out there to obtain if that's the goal...making team better via assistants.

Odds of this happening are slim to none but this kind of thinking separates good teams from great teams.

Does anybody besides Alabama do this? I don't hear anything about Ohio State or Clemson doing it, who would fall into the "great team" category.

I wouldn't hire him simply based on the unknown. BK has shown before to have an NFL interest...moreover how much longer is Brian Kelly wanting to coach. We don't know those answers and bringing Taggart in could only muddy a possible future HC hiring situation.

As much as I dislike BK I'd rather have him than Taggart.

In other words I wouldn't even want Taggart anywhere near the HC candidate process.

I think there are much better assistants out there to obtain if that's the goal...making team better via assistants.

The NFL ship has sailed for Kelly, he will end his coaching career at ND in 2022 after we win the Championship, IMO.

As far as Taggart muddying up the HC situation at that time I get that, and its a good point.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Does anybody besides Alabama do this? I don't hear anything about Ohio State or Clemson doing it, who would fall into the "great team" category.

Be first or be different. Alabama is the first to do it and I think it is a great way to almost re-purpose good college coaches who still have talent to give to a program. Not saying it is the answer, not saying if you do do it you are not a great team, simply put thinking outside of the box can separate you. There is Alabama great then there is everyone else, Clemson is certainly almost there as well. The sustained greatness over a decade that Alabama has exhibited is almost unprecedented, I do not think it would be foolish to take notice of certain nuances and practices of Saban, even as minuscule as coaching staff additions.

Be first or be different. Alabama is the first to do it and I think it is a great way to almost re-purpose good college coaches who still have talent to give to a program. Not saying it is the answer, not saying if you do do it you are not a great team, simply put thinking outside of the box can separate you. There is Alabama great then there is everyone else, Clemson is certainly almost there as well. The sustained greatness over a decade that Alabama has exhibited is almost unprecedented, I do not think it would be foolish to take notice of certain nuances and practices of Saban, even as minuscule as coaching staff additions.
Doesn't he have an overall losing record?

The NFL ship has sailed for Kelly, he will end his coaching career at ND in 2022 after we win the Championship, IMO.

As far as Taggart muddying up the HC situation at that time I get that, and its a good point.
I don't know...

If he had an NFL offer come January 2nd I'd be willing to bet he'd think about it. Probably pretty hard at that.

We can debate if a team even would offer but just think Cleveland Browns and or Washington Redskins and you'd know anything is definitely possible.

As far as staying here...until 2022, I seriously have doubts on that.

That Michigan loss will linger for a while to at least his psyche. See him in the post game after that? He looked completely bewildered of what just happened.

I can't imagine someone with 27 years experience and his age very eager to start second guessing himself again and after that drubbing how can you not.

It was disaster in Miami part 2. That Miami debacle was supposed to be buried in the ground with the "new" Brian Kelly only to have the exact same thing happen.

Who knows what might happen going forward.

Back to your specific point.

I don't think that scenario plays out well with BK.
He hasn't won anything of note in his decade here. Hasn't even been competitive in a major bowl game. Saban has won it all multiple times. No matter who comes to Bama and no matter the title Saban has earned the utmost respect. Even the silent respect.

BK on the other hand hasn't earned any of that respect outside of the default head coach title. Any assistant worth anything of note will not come here and be in awe of BK.

What you suggest can work and even work well but in the perfect situation like I mentioned above with Saban.

I don't know...

If he had an NFL offer come January 2nd I'd be willing to bet he'd think about it. Probably pretty hard at that.

We can debate if a team even would offer but just think Cleveland Browns and or Washington Redskins and you'd know anything is definitely possible.

That Michigan loss will linger for a while to at least his psyche. See him in the post game after that? He looked completely bewildered of what just happened.

I can't imagine someone with 27 years experience and his age very eager to start second guessing himself again and after that drubbing how can you not.

It was disaster in Miami part 2. That Miami debacle was supposed to be buried in the ground with the "new" Brian Kelly only to have the exact same thing happen.

Who knows what might happen going forward.

Back to your specific point.

I don't think that scenario plays out well with BK.
He hasn't won anything of note in his decade here. Hasn't even been competitive in a major bowl game. Saban has won it all multiple times. No matter who comes to Bama and no matter the title Saban has earned the utmost respect. Even the silent respect.

BK on the other hand hasn't earned any of that respect outside of the default head coach title. Any assistant worth anything of note will not come here and be in awe of BK.

What you suggest can work and even work well but in the perfect situation like I mentioned above with Saban.

I am over the Michigan loss. We drubbed them one year they drubbed us one year it happens, should it happen, no, but I am over it. Miami, over it. Arizona State, over it. To engage further would be a regurgitation of my thoughts on Brain Kelly vs yours which, as I have pointed out in the past it is about as useless an exercise as any. It is a clear stalemate. Your perspective is your own I certainly cannot convince you otherwise, and I respect that you stick to what you believe. I like to think creatively, positively and outside of the box, commonly referred to as a divergent thinker. In comparison you would be referred to as a concrete thinker, very literal and to the point and very much only at the surface. Many concrete thinkers often refer to themselves as "realists" which, I think you have labeled yourself before. It is hard engaging with you because you do not see depth in a conversation and you have a hard time seeing different avenues of the thought process which is why your posts are nearly all identical. You have really strong points and I am not in anyway discrediting what you are saying now or in other posts, I am just stopping this specific conversation because I know where it is going to lead to. I do enjoy your posts and like seeing you engage back, I just get tired of having our conversations constantly lead back to the same topic, which is Brian Kelly. To me it is like going down a funnel full of water, we start on the outside but inevitably we somehow reach the center. Again, just respectfully bowing out if this is where the conversation is going to go.

I am over the Michigan loss. We drubbed them one year they drubbed us one year it happens, should it happen, no, but I am over it. Miami, over it. Arizona State, over it. To engage further would be a regurgitation of my thoughts on Brain Kelly vs yours which, as I have pointed out in the past it is about as useless an exercise as any. It is a clear stalemate. Your perspective is your own I certainly cannot convince you otherwise, and I respect that you stick to what you believe. I like to think creatively, positively and outside of the box, commonly referred to as a divergent thinker. In comparison you would be referred to as a concrete thinker, very literal and to the point and very much only at the surface. Many concrete thinkers often refer to themselves as "realists" which, I think you have labeled yourself before. It is hard engaging with you because you do not see depth in a conversation and you have a hard time seeing different avenues of the thought process which is why your posts are nearly all identical. You have really strong points and I am not in anyway discrediting what you are saying now or in other posts, I am just stopping this specific conversation because I know where it is going to lead to. I do enjoy your posts and like seeing you engage back, I just get tired of having our conversations constantly lead back to the same topic, which is Brian Kelly. To me it is like going down a funnel full of water, we start on the outside but inevitably we somehow reach the center. Again, just respectfully bowing out if this is where the conversation is going to go.
Uuuhhh

You being over the Michigan loss has nothing to do with Brian Kelly being over it.

Unless you're secretly Brian Kelly.

Could you be Brian Kelly? Might that be you?:cool:

My point on your suggestion is that what works in Bama isn't going to work here. Certainly not to the same effect.

First of all Bama is in a plug and play groove.
I've been there in that groove before and it's a marvelous thing. Bodies come and go and the machine just keeps rolling along. Some years more efficient than others but make no mistake when you find yourself in that mode coaching becomes much easier. Everything you touch is midas. Clemson is also in that groove right now.

Secondly and most importantly is the respect factor or awe impact of Saban.
Example...outside of Dabo and Urban pretty much any ex head coach who still is in the game or might be again is going to be in awe of Saban. They will extend the utmost respect to him far exceeding just the chain of command respect.

Brian Kelly doesn't have any of that going for him whatsoever so it wouldn't work out like you're suggesting...or hoping.

I think you might find that coaches and players move on from that stuff much faster and more easily than fans do. Possibly out of necessity. The last drive against VA Tech and the subsequent two very well played games would seem to indicate that our team has gotten past any Michigan hangover that might have been in play.

I think you might find that coaches and players move on from that stuff much faster and more easily than fans do. Possibly out of necessity. The last drive against VA Tech and the subsequent two very well played games would seem to indicate that our team has gotten past any Michigan hangover that might have been in play.
As bad as Duke is and as poor of a game Navy had (all their bad luck for the season seem to happen in two quarters) is no indication.

Moreover I didn't suggest the players but BK and only Brian Kelly.

If it doesn't still sting that might explain a lot.

As bad as Duke is and as poor of a game Navy had (all their bad luck for the season seem to happen in two quarters) is no indication.

Moreover I didn't suggest the players but BK and only Brian Kelly.

If it doesn't still sting that might explain a lot.
Forced fumbles are bad luck now? Defenders blowing up blocking schemes and pressuring an offense is bad luck? I'd like to see your take when that happens to an ND offense.

Butch Jones, Sarkisian, Kiffin records are not much better. It is not about head coaching record, thought I made that clear.
Sark and Kif needed maturing. I have admittedly haven't done the research but I think Butch won everywhere except tanking in Tn. Willie has had a losing record at every stop. Not sure what he would bring. If coach K stays, change on staff is needed tho. I would gamble on a young stud OC. We'll have to agree to disagree on Willie

Forced fumbles are bad luck now? Defenders blowing up blocking schemes and pressuring an offense is bad luck? I'd like to see your take when that happens to an ND offense.

depends: ND or opponent?

Sark and Kif needed maturing. I have admittedly haven't done the research but I think Butch won everywhere except tanking in Tn. Willie has had a losing record at every stop. Not sure what he would bring. If coach K stays, change on staff is needed tho. I would gamble on a young stud OC. We'll have to agree to disagree on Willie

I don't think you bring him in as anything other than something like analytics and recruiting. he could be an asset there, don't limit what he could do is my thinking.

I'm not downplaying what ND did but that was not a typical Navy showing.

Navy does two things better than most teams. Possess the ball and play penalty free.

That's not why we won...we would've won regardless but it just came undone all at once for them.

Taggert is far more likely to turn up in California! Nothing is too bizarre out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT