ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame running the spread is pathetic and embarassing

The enjoyment of football is the contrast of styles. So its good that power and spread and other strange things like what the military academies coexist. I find college more interesting because unlike the pros there is not an infinite amount of practice time. You have to choose an identity and be good at it.

My personal take is ND is spread & shred. Not power. In power you will often have two tight ends sets, Hbacks, fullbacks etc and you come down hill. I do not see a lot of Wisconsin like formations. What I do see is Wimbush do the classic read. Does the DE crash, keep and go outside. If he stays home, one less defender in the middle. If the defense is keying on individuals, mess them up with an inverted veer.

There is nothing wrong with a running QB if you have him. I also think that spreads are just as capable at goal line activities as power. In some ways a spread puts even more pressure because he defense just can't make a mass of bodies to build a wall. There is the danger the QB just hits the edge. The most unstoppable offenses in football have been spread. Auburn with Cam Newton and UF with Tim Tebow were prolific. Vince Young at Texas a close second.

The USC defense was absolutely stacked. USC defense stopped Texas exactly zero times in the 2nd half. Texas won because they stuffed one 4th and one play on defense in the second half.

The enjoyment of football is the contrast of styles. So its good that power and spread and other strange things like what the military academies coexist. I find college more interesting because unlike the pros there is not an infinite amount of practice time. You have to choose an identity and be good at it.

My personal take is ND is spread & shred. Not power. In power you will often have two tight ends sets, Hbacks, fullbacks etc and you come down hill. I do not see a lot of Wisconsin like formations. What I do see is Wimbush do the classic read. Does the DE crash, keep and go outside. If he stays home, one less defender in the middle. If the defense is keying on individuals, mess them up with an inverted veer.

There is nothing wrong with a running QB if you have him. I also think that spreads are just as capable at goal line activities as power. In some ways a spread puts even more pressure because he defense just can't make a mass of bodies to build a wall. There is the danger the QB just hits the edge. The most unstoppable offenses in football have been spread. Auburn with Cam Newton and UF with Tim Tebow were prolific. Vince Young at Texas a close second.

The USC defense was absolutely stacked. USC defense stopped Texas exactly zero times in the 2nd half. Texas won because they stuffed one 4th and one play on defense in the second half.

Don't think USC's defense was that great that year. When ND played them, Weis called a brilliant game and kept them off balance. Fresno State exploited them as well with a balanced, under center attack. They had speed and good athletes upfront but were not disciplined. Spread offenses are TERRIBLE near the goalline. It's like a gun with no bullets. You can't spread a defense with safety's playing up close. They are more prone to turnovers, fumbles, sacks, and other penalties.

I do agree that college is better because of contrasting styles. I hate to see so many teams going to the spread attack. I don't know why going under center is something some teams wont even do. Being under center gives the QB and the offense huge advantages. He can better read a defense from under center and it gives the running back momentum and allows for him to hide the ball on play fakes, ect. The defense also can't key in on him as well. Shotgun formations should only be used when you're giving up or expecting a strong pass rush.

Don't think USC's defense was that great that year. When ND played them, Weis called a brilliant game and kept them off balance. Fresno State exploited them as well with a balanced, under center attack. They had speed and good athletes upfront but were not disciplined. Spread offenses are TERRIBLE near the goalline. It's like a gun with no bullets. You can't spread a defense with safety's playing up close. They are more prone to turnovers, fumbles, sacks, and other penalties.

I do agree that college is better because of contrasting styles. I hate to see so many teams going to the spread attack. I don't know why going under center is something some teams wont even do. Being under center gives the QB and the offense huge advantages. He can better read a defense from under center and it gives the running back momentum and allows for him to hide the ball on play fakes, ect. The defense also can't key in on him as well. Shotgun formations should only be used when you're giving up or expecting a strong pass rush.
Did you coach in the 1900's ?

Curious as to why you equate being in the shotgun as a spread offense ? Spread is run out of the shotgun but so is virtually everything else. You really should visit a library.

Pat Shurmur was our starting center when I was a freshman. I also had a 1420 on my SATS and had a scholarship offer from Stanford and took an official visit there. Thanks for playing.
Oh please spare us the BS. Since you are so smart, why are you a history teacher? or are you still the "acting" AD of a high school? If I believe that you actually got a 1420 on your SAT, who cares? There are plenty of people who are book smart and real life stupid......

Oh please spare us the BS. Since you are so smart, why are you a history teacher? or are you still the "acting" AD of a high school? If I believe that you actually got a 1420 on your SAT, who cares? There are plenty of people who are book smart and real life stupid......
Education is my chosen profession. Yours ?

Curious as to why you equate being in the shotgun as a spread offense ? Spread is run out of the shotgun but so is virtually everything else. You really should visit a library.

I don't, but using more than 3 receivers is definitely a spread formation. All I was pointing out were the benefits of a QB being under center.

I don't, but using more than 3 receivers is definitely a spread formation. All I was pointing out were the benefits of a QB being under center.
Well hardly anyone does it even at the high school level. 3 receivers does not constitute a spread offense.

ND runs sets with Mack & Kmet lined up next to the tackle then split out. With Wright in the backfield who then motions out.
So they can have 2-3 TE’s in the game, but place then wherever they want. That’s not a “spread” it’s creating matchups. The key is all 3 can block very well, so they can still run as if they are next to the tackle.

TE, Flanker, Split End old traditional offensive formation had 3 recievers.
The removal of the fullback and for a 4th reciever is the new norm. It takes the QB approx 3 secs to drop back when under center (Namath probably had the best drop back). If the QB has those seconds to look over the defense, that is a big advantage.

The removal of the fullback and for a 4th reciever is the new norm. It takes the QB approx 3 secs to drop back when under center (Namath probably had the best drop back). If the QB has those seconds to look over the defense, that is a big advantage.

I think 'offense' is actually defined by the theory and not the formation. You can line up in the shotgun with 4 WRs and still run "power."

Reactions: Kraftwerk

I'm going to disagree that spreads are bad at the goal line. Urban Meyer power spread is fabulous at the goal line. Auburn won a national championship with another spread friendly QB in Cam Newton. Power can look just as pathetic if you have the wrong folks.

As a side note there has been a lot of discussion of 21 formations gaining popularity in football. Interested if this is something Notre Dame is looking at. I am going to paraphrase the experts but a 21 formation is two running backs. It is not necessarily FB/TB even though one may be the thunder and the other the lightning. The idea is that a lot of teams including Michigan are dropping the WLB for a hybrid to counter act a lot of the spread action especially jet calls. The 21 formation in theory puts pressure as you can send the RB's in opposite directions. If one correctly you can get a big hat on a little hat where the little hat is the hybrid thus defeating the entire reason for the hybrid being on the field.

Yeah lets go back and run a 2 back offense! While youre at it, send a custom engraved invitation for the safeties who play for N Saban, K Smart, U Meyer and D Swinney to come down into the tackle box and put their foot straight up the asses of every ND RB who touches the football.

How did those power running games of Stanford & Arkansas do last year? Shaw's record would look just like Bielemas, if he ran that BS offense in the SEC.

Don’t care about your feud with echo about ND football, but I do question the values and judgement of anyone who would suggest that the teaching profession is somehow beneath the career choice of anyone with smarts. Not an educator myself, but consider it one of the most important professions, and one where we should celebrate the commitment of smart college grads to same. Hell of a lot more important to the students their family and community than the Executive work I did in IT consulting which paid multiple times more.

Reactions: echowaker
Yeah lets go back and run a 2 back offense! While youre at it, send a custom engraved invitation for the safeties who play for N Saban, K Smart, U Meyer and D Swinney to come down into the tackle box and put their foot straight up the asses of every ND RB who touches the football.

How did those power running games of Stanford & Arkansas do last year? Shaw's record would look just like Bielemas, if he ran that BS offense in the SEC.

Nonetheless I feel cheated we never got a Stanford vs SEC Blueblood bowl game. LSJU usually has a better qb than Arky and it would be interesting to see how they attacked a defense of better athletes.

Don’t care about your feud with echo about ND football, but I do question the values and judgement of anyone who would suggest that the teaching profession is somehow beneath the career choice of anyone with smarts. Not an educator myself, but consider it one of the most important professions, and one where we should celebrate the commitment of smart college grads to same. Hell of a lot more important to the students their family and community than the Executive work I did in IT consulting which paid multiple times more.
Thank you.

Telx1, I work in the energy field now working on getting my certification so I can teach. I won't say it is a more important job than any other but I figure I can help plus getting up and down large building on their roof is starting to get to me physically

Why not run the Wing T? In 1973 we averaged 350 ypg. Only kidding. Power football though is where it’s at In my opinion. If you control the football, the other team can’t score

I remember the first Orange Bowl game match up with Colorado (1990). Irish "O" got the ball with about nine minutes left in the game and Tony Rice and company masterfully ran a nine minute offense based solely on the run. It was a thing of beauty. Seventeen running plays for eighty-two yards, capped off by an Anthony Johnson TD. NBC TV Color analyst, Bill Walsh, implored the Buff defense to crowd the LOS to stop the run but they never did. Tony taking his time in the huddle then winding down the play clock before the ball was snapped. Rocket and Johnson , inside and out, 5,6,7 yards. Now that was a brutal running attack.
I was there, with my brother-in-law and it was a thing of beauty. The Buffalo defense of line which is extremely tall if I remember, Got manhandled.

Why not run the Wing T? In 1973 we averaged 350 ypg. Only kidding. Power football though is where it’s at In my opinion. If you control the football, the other team can’t score

ND did control the football.
They were the 7th best rushing team in the nation, trailing 4 triple option teams (3 service academies & GT), Arizona & FAU.

ND averaged more rushing yards per game than every team in the SEC & Big10 (ball control conferences).

Just because they don’t line up I’m a I Formation doesn’t mean they aren’t a power running team.

Telx1, I work in the energy field now working on getting my certification so I can teach. I won't say it is a more important job than any other but I figure I can help plus getting up and down large building on their roof is starting to get to me physically
Zona...wishing you nothing but great success with a new career teaching. I imagine echo and other teachers here and parents as well, can offer lots of constructive advice. Mine is never forget why you chose to teach. Best!

Reactions: zonairish
Zona...wishing you nothing but great success with a new career teaching. I imagine echo and other teachers here and parents as well, can offer lots of constructive advice. Mine is never forget why you chose to teach. Best!
Zona, good luck going forward. I hope you find your experiences as rewarding as I have.

Reactions: zonairish

You always look over the defensive when you're dropping back. You drop back out of the shut gun too, it just takes you further away from your receivers and makes the throw longer.

And Florida with Tebow and Auburn with Newton were not spread offenses down by the goal line and it is rare that your QB can run over linebackers. Iowa State does the same thing when they bring their middle linebacker in at QB in short yardage. They were running power zones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT