ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame RBs........Been hesitant to say it

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
I've been hesitant to say it because our stats were really good running the ball last year. I honestly believe our RBs are average Power 5 conference RBs. Folston is one of the slowest RBs i've seen this year. Adams, although he has great straight line speed, he has absolutely no quickness, runs hard, but is not powerful, and neither are that big of threats in the passing game (adams had great catch vs Texas).

Procise was clearly our best back last year when healthy. I just think the O-line was that good and made that big of holes especially for Adams. Also I thought the play calling was much better too! There was so many times adams went untouched until 5-10 yards. It's not happening this year, and you see the results. We don't make any defenders miss, and we don't punish any defenders. You need to do one or the other.

I know some will disagree with me and blame the right side of the O-Line, and rightfully so. I was expecting more from them, but I'm not a fan of our RBs, and I'm not a huge fan of the RBs we've recruited. I don't understand why Kelly doesn't recruit quick Rbs that are great in the passing game as well. It would fit his offense so much better. If you spread teams out it really helps to have speed and quickness at the RB spot. Folston can't get outside, and Adams has trouble changing directions.

We start every run 7 yds from scrimmage. 3rd and 2 is really 3rd and 9 for the Kelly machine.

I wish we'd mix it up. Seems we rarely fool anyone.

Agree, I think the play calling this year has been poor offensively. But you can see this year that folston has lost a step and isn't cutting as hard or running as hard as he used to. I also wasn't as impressed as some with Adams running abilities last year. His stats for a frosh were amazing, but Kelly called some amazing plays last year for him that fulled defenses and got him to the edge and down the field without being touched. He has the speed to get to the edge, but i don't see any shiftiness or cutting ability and his power isn't that great. He definitely is a smart player, and better at this point than Folston, but he's not someone I think defenses are overly worried about, and I don't see any dynamic RBs with our recruiting.

It's like GAIII..... he had great stats, but everyone knew he wasn't what ND needed at the RB position. I feel the same way with Adams (without the locker room issues). Adams can due fine in this offense, but he doesn't seem dynamic or a threat.

He'll probably rush for 150 vs duke though :)

The run game will be fine against duke. there may have been a time they needed to throw the ball against MSU and they chose not to . However the overall play calling was fine .

Situation and line....When your down 29, hard to run.....When your down at TX the same way hard to run....Line has not really lived up to its billing, backs are getting hit behind the line or maybe 2 yards before the meet a wall....as they clean up the line and get some leads, they will be fine....TF is like Darius Walker...quicks and toughness...not a long threat.....Adam's with any crack like CJ is gone....Dexter has not really played much....be nice to see how they play Duke. When this team feels down, they are not stoppable on offense..we need to play each series like we are down 40 points....get a lead and get some youngsters time...

3 reasons why

#1 rotating backs never creates a rhythm to one back. Running backs need that.

#2 Kizer not keeping the ball enough on the zone Reed run plays. The defense ignores him and sells out on that back. He's not keeping the defense honest.

#3 the play calling is bad. Just horrid this year.

There you go.

Remember this...there have been moments of nice long runs this year.

Kelly is just ruining it overall

3 reasons why

#1 rotating backs never creates a rhythm to one back. Running backs need that.

#2 Kizer not keeping the ball enough on the zone Reed run plays. The defense ignores him and sells out on that back. He's not keeping the defense honest.

#3 the play calling is bad. Just horrid this year.

There you go.

Remember this...there have been moments of nice long runs this year.

Kelly is just ruining it overall

Read it and weep...from Nov 2013...and nothing has changed:

http://www.ndinsider.com/football/n...cle_4f23909d-e0ad-5c4c-b74a-760bf1226b68.html

"Notre Dame football: Ex-star Vagas Ferguson weighs in on running game
And when the Irish do run, they have spread the carries around rather than go with a feature back.

"Consistency is so important," Ferguson said. "You need to pick one guy who knows he's the guy to carry the ball. (Devine) always told me, 'You're out there until we have to drag you off the field.'

"There's no consistency now. All four guys are out there pressing to make big plays, because if they don't, they know they will be taken out. That's no way to handle a running game.

"Game awareness is something that was always important to me. The more I played, the more I got a feel for what was going on. On one play, I'd notice that the defense had a tendency to overrun a bit; or have a tendency to do this or that. I'd use that knowledge on my next run. I might see a place where I could cut back because I knew they were going to overrun the play.

"If you're not playing on every down, you don't get a chance to see that.

"It kills me to see one back start to roll, then get taken out. All that momentum just goes away. It doesn't help anyone. You've got four backs and they're going in and out.
That's crazy."

So, Vagas thinks our staff is crazy... go figure....

Reactions: 88ND
doesn't Vegas know that BK is just the only 'smart guy'; V! put a sick in it!
think it but you're not allowed to say it!

Reactions: cgvr
We start every run 7 yds from scrimmage. 3rd and 2 is really 3rd and 9 for the Kelly machine.

I wish we'd mix it up. Seems we rarely fool anyone.

Well, we don't start all our runs from 7 yards back, but that is typically where a tailback lines up. If the line is blocking well, the hole will develop.

The OL has under achieved. You want to at least get the Backs to the second wave then let them use their moves to break tackles and break open. So far, the RBs seem to have no room because the OL is getting spanked.

The OL has under achieved. You want to at least get the Backs to the second wave then let them use their moves to break tackles and break open. So far, the RBs seem to have no room because the OL is getting spanked.

^ not according to BK

I don't think they're bad, I just don't think they're that good. A stud online sure would help make them look good. My problem is they don't have the quickness to get outside then up the field. Josh can get outside but struggles cutting, folston can't get outside. They aren't overly powerful inside to make up for it

It's painful when teams like Penn state and Michigan state have better rbs. Texas has better, usc and Stanford have better. Clearly Williams would be getting more pt if he was better. Jones is slow and markese stepp is like Adams. Disappointed in our rb recruiting with such a good offense. It's not bad, but they aren't difference makers.

Well, we don't start all our runs from 7 yards back, but that is typically where a tailback lines up. If the line is blocking well, the hole will develop.

So... you're saying the shotgun is just as effective in must-have short yardage situations?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT