ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Football’s Future

JHS61

All Star
Jan 1, 2022
Can ND win an NC during HCMF’s tenure? Anytime in the foreseeable future?

What is Notre Dame Football’s Future?

And of course, explain your thinking.

After listening to Brady Quinn, I am more confident about ND and NIL. It will not hold ND football back.

I am concerned about admissions and both the Portal and high school recruiting. Do I blame admissions? No. They are not in charge. Do I blame the administration? Damn right. But we never seem to hear talk about them. We hear about what profs in different departments demand.

First, I have quite a bit of respect for ND profs. I had a lot who were really good at their jobs and a few who changed my intellectual life. They MADE me grow intellectually and they set me up to grow even more, independently, as I got older. I am indebted to these profs, big time.

I have also been a central office administrator and a superintendent of schools. I know that you can’t leave policy decisions to individual teachers (or profs). Policy is not their wheelhouse. They aren’t trained to develop policy and their vested interests preclude sound policy decision making.

Given the chance, why should profs decide to admit any students who learn differently than their current students or who bring to their classroom learning deficits and needs they currently never have to face? Hey, you have a great job. What do you think about making it a lot harder and taking a lot longer?

The administration must make that decision and they must figure out how to help profs do what they would be asking them to do.

In 1999, I had a book published by a renowned academic publishing company. It provided a great calling card. Virtually ever GSE dean from Harvard to Stanford too my calls. ND, however, had and has no GSE, so I called the Provost. He took my call, but told me I would have to talk to individual professors. If one of them brought the book to him, he could consider talking to others about it. But he could no initiate such a conversation on his own.

The administration is not in charge of the academic programs at ND. The profs are. There is a lot that can be said for that approach, but when it extends to admission policies, it creates a huge problem for HCMF and M&WBB. Until that changes, HCMF will not win an NC unless he gets galactically lucky. Too many rules are stacked against luck.

Can anyone talk me off this discouraging ledge?

Reactions: keegan0615
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News