ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Fan Base Must Come Together Now More Than Ever

The “true” Notre Dame fan base remains rock solid and is impervious to the vicissitudes of “won - loss” records !

GO IRISH ☘️

Biggest pile of cow manure that I've smelled since leaving the farm in 1973. I read the first half of this trivial piece of crap before leaving for better things to do. ND fans will always argue and bicker with each other because that's in our DNA. We may temporarily ignore each other but only for a season. What runs deep in every ND fan is their abiding love for ND and her most marketable commodity--her beloved football team. It holds us together and drives us each day. There is no cracks in the ND fanbase. Love holds us together. WE ARE THE FIGHTING IRISH.

It’s comical that the line “ ND hasn’t won a NC since 1988 “ comes up all the time. It’s like a standard talking point. The reality is, many teams haven’t won a championship in years. What about Michigan? They haven’t won since 1997. That was only 1/2 a championship. Hell, their last one before that was 1948. How come you don’t see any articles on their drought ? As far as fans coming together, ND fans are there week after week , month after month and year after year. I’ve been a fan since 1972. Regardless of what the future holds, I ain’t going anywhere. I know know most fans on this site are fans through and through. Just take a look at some of the biggest powers in football. Miami. FSU, USC and few others. When they aren’t so good, their stadiums are empty. ND stadium is full when they are good , bad or in between. Even though we bitch , complain and yes, sometimes whine ( guilty) , we stay true. Why ? Because unlike many teams, we are loyal and see ND football as something bigger than just football. I believe we see a program that tries to win with integrity and honor. Are they perfect ? Absolutely not. Plenty of mistakes have been made along the way. However , I do feel they try to win but without compromising their core values and goals. Sorry for the lecture. I just got carried away. Go Irish !!

Last edited:
It’s comical that the line “ ND hasn’t won a NC since 1988 “ comes up all the time. It’s like a standard talking point. The reality is, many teams haven’t won a championship in years. What about Michigan? They haven’t won since 1997. That was only 1/2 a championship. Hell, their last one before that was 1948. How come you don’t see any articles on their drought ? As far as fans coming together, ND fans are there week after week , month after month and year after year. I’ve been a fan since 1972. Regardless of what the future holds, I ain’t going anywhere. I know know most fans on this site aren fans through and through. Just take a look at some of the biggest powers in football. Miami. FSU, USC and few others. When they aren’t so good, their stadiums are empty. ND stadium is full when they are good , bad or in between. Even though we bitch , complain and yes, sometimes whine ( guilty) , we stay true. Why ? Because unlike many teams, we are loyal and see ND football as something bigger than just football. I believe we see a program that tries to win with integrity and honor. Are they perfect ? Absolutely not. Plenty of mistakes have been made along the way. However , I do feel they try to win but without compromising their core values and goals. Sorry for the lecture. I just got carried away. Go Irish !!
Because ND football should be the standard for college football on and off the field and not winning a national championship in over 30 years is unacceptable. Those aren’t my words they are ND’s words. They say the goal is a national championship and they have failed to reach that goal

Because ND football should be the standard for college football on and off the field and not winning a national championship in over 30 years is unacceptable. Those aren’t my words they are ND’s words. They say the goal is a national championship and they have failed to reach that goal
so what is the fans alternative ? everyone knows they haven't won since 1988. should ND give up or should the fans give up ? how about approach each new season with optimism ? it's what good fans do. complaining ad nauseam about the same old thing as if that will change things is an exercise in futility. not saying everything is or will be unicorns and skittles all the time but the continued focus on the negative and complete lack of acknowledgement of the positive by some here is just sad.

"The ND Fan Base Must Come Together Now More Than Ever"

The 1st thing the ND "FAN BASE" needs to to is STOP SELLING their tickets to visiting fans en masse! There is no valid reason that ND Stadium should be a quasi home game for a visiting team (Nebraska, Georgia, heck, even Ohio State when they were here last in 1996) -- do you think that would occur at Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Alabama (pick any top level school?

ND Fans bitch and moan about not having a "home field advantage" -- give opponents something to fear coming here 1st!

Let the fans be. It's social media that fuels much of this dissension. Anonymous message boards. What do you want fans to think after the Georgia game (again) and then Michigan and then the Phil transfer? There's going to be strong opinions and strong opinions are what fans do with every team and every sport. Sports talk radio thrives on fans and commentators opinions....about the past, present, and future. It's the personal attacks on anonymous social media that is the cancer. Not necessarily the opinions. If there is a repeat negative Nancy among us, then don't read the post and don't respond. IMHO, the average ND tailgater doesn't take this as serious as the message board warriors do and message boards seem to control what outsiders think about the fans.

Reactions: Kelso86
Sure thing Kelso, go ahead and tell people what they can and can't do with the tickets they purchased after forking over exorbitant chunks of $$$$$ to line the pockets of the building fund.

Let the fans be. It's social media that fuels much of this dissension. Anonymous message boards. What do you want fans to think after the Georgia game (again) and then Michigan and then the Phil transfer? There's going to be strong opinions and strong opinions are what fans do with every team and every sport. Sports talk radio thrives on fans and commentators opinions....about the past, present, and future. It's the personal attacks on anonymous social media that is the cancer. Not necessarily the opinions. If there is a repeat negative Nancy among us, then don't read the post and don't respond. IMHO, the average ND tailgater doesn't take this as serious as the message board warriors do and message boards seem to control what outsiders think about the fans.
I am sure there are people who jump on boards like this, and extrapolate that across the entire fan base. When reality is that message board warriors make up a very small sample of an entire fan base, and tend to be more extreme than the typical fan.

Is calling a person you don't even know dumb a huge part of the dissension among ND fans? Is that the point of the article? Only on an anonymous message board. Oh the irony.

Reactions: Kelso86
Sure thing Kelso, go ahead and tell people what they can and can't do with the tickets they purchased after forking over exorbitant chunks of $$$$$ to line the pockets of the building fund.

Kelso isn’t wrong !

What kind of Notre Dame fan buys tickets to a game and then sells them to the opponent’s fans ?

Definitely NOT a “true” Notre Dame fan !

Reactions: Catholicfan95
so what is the fans alternative ? everyone knows they haven't won since 1988. should ND give up or should the fans give up ? how about approach each new season with optimism ? it's what good fans do. complaining ad nauseam about the same old thing as if that will change things is an exercise in futility. not saying everything is or will be unicorns and skittles all the time but the continued focus on the negative and complete lack of acknowledgement of the positive by some here is just sad.
I approach each season with optimism

Reactions: echowaker
Sure thing Pat, you fork over upwards of 15K for tickets then come talk to me.

It's funny. For games against lesser opponents, I have often had extra tickets. People have no problem offering to buy them for $20 or less. Sometimes, I have been unable to sell them. But for big games, don't dare sell them to fans of opposing teams. The irony.

Kelso isn’t wrong !

What kind of Notre Dame fan buys tickets to a game and then sells them to the opponent’s fans ?

Definitely NOT a “true” Notre Dame fan !
I preface this by saying I have never sold ND tix to an opposing fan. And that includes my Georgia tix a couple years ago. My group of alum friends also never asks above face value from each other for tix, no matter what they are selling for on the open market. That's just the way we do it.

That said, if you paid $150 per ticket to an ND game, and someone offers you $1,500 to $2,000 for a pair of tickets, I don't really have any problem with someone taking advantage of those economics. I don't make a "true fan" or not true fan judgement on the people who do that.

I preface this by saying I have never sold ND tix to an opposing fan. And that includes my Georgia tix a couple years ago. My group of alum friends also never asks above face value from each other for tix, no matter what they are selling for on the open market. That's just the way we do it.

That said, if you paid $150 per ticket to an ND game, and someone offers you $1,500 to $2,000 for a pair of tickets, I don't really have any problem with someone taking advantage of those economics. I don't make a "true fan" or not true fan judgement on the people who do that.

So all those Georgia fans paid $ 1,500 to $ 2,000 per seat ?

Stop making unrealistic hypotheticals.

Sure thing Pat, you fork over upwards of 15K for tickets then come talk to me.

If I can afford to lay out $ 15,000 for tickets, I don’t need to sell my tickets for the purpose of reducing my outlay by a few thousand dollars, especially when it will deprive me of the pleasure of watching Notre Dame playing against a big time opponent in a critical game.

I know several who paid $1,500 per pair, and higher. Sorry.

I have a professional colleague who told me he paid $2,250 per ticket ($4,500 total) for him and his wife to see the UGA game at Notre Dame stadium. As I recall he said the seats were on the 40 yd line, so he may have decided to pay a little more to get good seats. He is a UGA grad and huge CFB fan, and said seeing the Dawgs play at historic ND stadium was "bucket list" stuff for him, so he basically didn't care what he had to pay. He in fact told me he would have paid more if necessary. I have no idea if other UGA fans were paying that much, but he said many his UGA alumni friends felt the same way he did.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Question. Do Bama, LSU, and/or Clemson fans sell their tickets to opposing fans in big games? Would there be a sea of the opposing team colors over taking the home stadiums of the three I mentioned?

Question. Do Bama, LSU, and/or Clemson fans sell their tickets to opposing fans in big games? Would there be a sea of the opposing team colors over taking the home stadiums of the three I mentioned?
Notre Dame is the mecca of college football brother. There is not a market for those tickets like there is at ND. Though a I agree you have to understand ND is a destination for all fans. Its a bucket list place.

I agree that ND is a bucket list destination. That's why I'm thinking there may be more than a few Arkansas fans visiting. First meeting ever. First and perhaps last time at South Bend. New Hog HC and the excitement just may be there. Georgia will be playing at Bama this season. Will the Dawg fans invade Bryant-Denny Stadium? Bucket list or no bucket list, SEC fans are rabid. Let's see if the Tide fans will sell.

How often do those teams have a visitor who is a college football blue blood that has never played in their stadium before?

I agree that ND is a bucket list destination. That's why I'm thinking there may be more than a few Arkansas fans visiting. First meeting ever. First and perhaps last time at South Bend. New Hog HC and the excitement just may be there. Georgia will be playing at Bama this season. Will the Dawg fans invade Bryant-Denny Stadium? Bucket list or no bucket list, SEC fans are rabid. Let's see if the Tide fans will sell.
I think we can both agree that Notre Dame fans pride themselves on sharing the experience of what the program offers more than having outstanding home field advantage, though that sounds like an excuse it is really just the truth. Our fans are hospitable almost to a fault and we all take an immense amount of pride in how special our home is.

Did ND fans pay that kind of money when ND played at Texas or Oklahoma? We they pay out big bucks to see ND at Green Bay?

I don't think Irish fans are selling their tickets in a gesture of goodwill towards opposing fans. It's about the cabbage. Nothing more. We've had posters here brag about the bottom line and the huge profit made, never mentioning the opposing fans. BK has complained about it publicly. Jack pretended like he was going to put a stop to it. Kirby Smart made mention how the Georgia fan base neutralized the noise so Fromm could make his calls without disruption. ND fans put charity on full display before that by selling their tickets to Husker fans so they too could experience the magic of ND Stadium. Nope, it's all about sharing the ND game day experience with others. The money is secondary. At least let's be honest why ND fans sell their tickets.

I don't think Irish fans are selling their tickets in a gesture of goodwill towards opposing fans. It's about the cabbage. Nothing more. We've had posters here brag about the bottom line and the huge profit made, never mentioning the opposing fans. BK has complained about it publicly. Jack pretended like he was going to put a stop to it. Kirby Smart made mention how the Georgia fan base neutralized the noise so Fromm could make his calls without disruption. ND fans put charity on full display before that by selling their tickets to Husker fans so they too could experience the magic of ND Stadium. Nope, it's all about sharing the ND game day experience with others. The money is secondary. At least let's be honest why ND fans sell their tickets.
Trust me, it is disappointing to me as well. I guess I am more grasping at limbs before i fall out of this tree. The question is, how do you stop this? I know that Eric Church has gone strictly to E-Tickets because he had problems with scalpers. Could that be a viable option? At some point there is only so much you can do before you infringe upon people's rights.

I know several who paid $1,500 per pair, and higher. Sorry.

That’s “several”, now account for the 10,000 - 20,000 plus who colored the stadium red.

Go back and look at game films from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and tell me that you saw the opposing team’s colors blanketing the stadium like they did in the Georgia game.
Never happened, even when ND played # 1 teams like Miami, FSU and USC.

Toby, They’re not ND fans, they’re just people who attend Notre Dame home games.

That’s “several”, now account for the 10,000 - 20,000 plus who colored the stadium red.

Go back and look at game films from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and tell me that you saw the opposing team’s colors blanketing the stadium like they did in the Georgia game.
Never happened, even when ND played # 1 teams like Miami, FSU and USC.

The ticket market was also not as lucrative then. You're point is right, but the market is more lucrative now than ever.

The ND fan base is made up of fans that are not nearly as passionate as other fan bases, comparatively speaking. Football is a religion for most fan bases, the majority of our fan base is not like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT