ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame’s schedule

No. Clemson and USC would be the only good wins. And this isn't Trevor Lawrence Clemson or Reggie Bush USC.

The Marshall loss would doom us. No other 2 loss team would have a loss that bad, or even close.
There’s no doubt that the Marshall loss looms large, but wins over Clemson, USC, BYU and Syracuse would make a strong case for ND.

Late season losses are more impactful than early season losses

Have someone with reading comprehension skills explain what the “at large field“ means.

Let me rephrase a potential scenario for you.

Premise: Every team has 2 losses.
ND has beaten USC, Clemson, BYU and Syracuse and has 2 losses.

And you don’t think that ND would make the CFP under that scenario ?
Pat- it’s almost impossible. Not even worth talking about. We’ve played 1 good game.

Running the table and getting extremely lucky with other teams losing 2 or 3 games…..not even a topic that warrants debate.

Reactions: christophero
Have someone with reading comprehension skills explain what the “at large field“ means.

Yeah make up an unrealistic scenario. In what world is every team going to have two losses?

So if all of the other teams have 2 losses and ND runs the table it’s your stated opinion that ND couldn’t possibly get into the CFP ?

WHY do you feel so threatened by a QUESTION ?

Are you that insecure ?
No they can't get in

No

Pat- it’s almost impossible. Not even worth talking about. We’ve played 1 good game.

Running the table and getting extremely lucky with other teams losing 2 or 3 games…..not even a topic that warrants debate.
The Ohio State loss, early in the season, won’t be that much of a hit, unfortunately, the Marshall loss is a real hit, but beating an undefeated USC and an undefeated Clemson would catapult ND into the conversaction, especially given that USC is the last game of the season.

Doubtful, but possible 😜

Reactions: TheSodFather
Yeah make up an unrealistic scenario. In what world is every team going to have two losses?
I never attached a probability factor to the question.

As to your question, when parity exists in college football as it does in the NFL, the likelihood of two game losses by the at large field becomes more of a possibility

The Ohio State loss, early in the season, won’t be that much of a hit, unfortunately, the Marshall loss is a real hit, but beating an undefeated USC and an undefeated Clemson would catapult ND into the conversaction, especially given that USC is the last game of the season.

Doubtful, but possible 😜
It's possible, and I appreciate your optimism. But a LOT of chips would have to fall our way.

Doubtful, but possible 😜
Worst case in this scenario would be ND is first team out.

2 signature wins out of 10 straight to finish would make ND the hottest program in the country at selection time.

Even if ND somehow wins all remaining games, I don’t see 10–2 getting in the playoffs. I also think it is premature to think ND will beat BYU. Beating NC doesn’t change the fact that they still have issues at QB , receiver and linebacker. The offensive line has improved. However, I want to see how they do next week. I’m sure BYU will go all out to stop the run and make them one dimensional. If that happens, Rees needs to show faith in the line and backs and stick with the run game. Going empty backfield and passing all over , then I think ND will lose.

Even if ND somehow wins all remaining games, I don’t see 10–2 getting in the playoffs. I also think it is premature to think ND will beat BYU. Beating NC doesn’t change the fact that they still have issues at QB , receiver and linebacker. The offensive line has improved. However, I want to see how they do next week. I’m sure BYU will go all out to stop the run and make them one dimensional. If that happens, Rees needs to show faith in the line and backs and stick with the run game. Going empty backfield and passing all over , then I think ND will lose.
Agree. We’ve played 1 good game out of 4. I want to be optimistic like everyone else, but The playoff talk is absolutely premature.

Jim Mora……playoffs!?!?

Reactions: christophero
It's possible, and I appreciate your optimism. But a LOT of chips would have to fall our way.
I’m not optimistic about it as my assessment, based upon year to date performance, doesn’t have ND running the table, and so much of the outcome is dependent upon events outside of ND’s control.

The Marshall loss was a killer.

This is why you can never underestimate your opponent

Worst case in this scenario would be ND is first team out.

2 signature wins out of 10 straight to finish would make ND the hottest program in the country at selection time.
You are 100 % correct !

Most of those aren’t viewing this in the context of selection time when ND would be a juggernaut with highly impressive wins over highly ranked teams along with the fact that early season losses aren’t as damaging as late season losses.

Running the table would be a very steep climb, but what if ?

You are 100 % correct !

Most of those aren’t viewing this in the context of selection time when ND would be a juggernaut with highly impressive wins over highly ranked teams along with the fact that early season losses aren’t as damaging as late season losses.

Running the table would be a very steep climb, but what if ?
There has never been a 2 loss team make the CFP.

And you think we'd have a chance with a loss to Marshall

Its not happening. No chance

There has never been a 2 loss team make the CFP.

And you think we'd have a chance with a loss to Marshall

Its not happening. No chance
Really?

I thought that LSU (11-2) beat Ohio State (11-1) to win the 2007 College National Championship on January 7, 2008.

So a two loss team not only made the playoff, they won the playoff.

Maybe you should reconsider your position !

Really?

I thought that LSU (11-2) beat Ohio State (11-1) to win the 2007 College National Championship on January 7, 2008.

Maybe you should learn how to read!

CFP = College Football Playoff

First year of existence was 2014

Maybe you should learn how to read!

CFP = College Football Playoff

First year of existence was 2014

If you had a brain you would understand that it’s far more difficult for a two loss team to make the playoffs when there are ONLY two teams and easier for a two loss team to make the playoffs when there are four teams.

The 2008 BCS National Championship game had the number 1 ranked team, OSU, playing the number 2 ranked team, LSU.

Ergo, a two loss team made the playoffs !

If you had a brain you would understand that it’s far more difficult for a two loss team to make the playoffs when there are ONLY two teams and easier for a two loss team to make the playoffs when there are four teams.

The 2008 BCS National Championship game had the number 1 ranked team, OSU, playing the number 2 ranked team, LSU.

Ergo, a two loss team made the playoffs !
A 2 loss team has never made the CFP.

That is what I said. And it is still true

Educate yourself

If the scenario of a 2 loss ND plays out, I’d rather win a NY6 game then make the playoffs and get train rolled again. Baby steps.

A 2 loss team has never made the CFP.

That is what I said. And it is still true

Educate yourself
WHO WON THE 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE PLAYOFF GAME ?

A TWO LOSS # 2 TEAM THAT BEAT THE # 1 team …… LSU

A two loss team won the National Championship by bearing the # 1 one loss team.

YOU’RE WRONG AGAIN, GET OVER IT !

Really?

They didn’t have the CFP back in 2007, that was the god old BCS.

If the scenario of a 2 loss ND plays out, I’d rather win a NY6 game then make the playoffs and get train rolled again. Baby steps.
What’s the guarantee that you won’t get train rolled in a NY6 game ?

WHO WON THE 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE PLAYOFF GAME ?

A TWO LOSS # 2 TEAM THAT BEAT THE # 1 team …… LSU

A two loss team won the National Championship by bearing the # 1 one loss team.

YOU’RE WRONG AGAIN, GET OVER IT !
That was the BCS Championship

I said CFP.

Like I said, no 2 loss team has ever made the CFP

They didn’t have the CFP back in 2007, that was the god old BCS.
WHAT TEAM, WITH TWO LOSSES, WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FOR 2007 IN A GAME THAT PITTED THEM AGAINST THE # 1 RANKED TEAM ?

TAKE YOUR TIME, DON’T RUSH, CALL FRIENDS, USE GOOGLE AND LET US KNOW WHEN YOU COME UP WITH THE ANSWER.

That was the BCS Championship

I said CFP.

Like I said, no 2 loss team has ever made the CFP
Did a two loss team win the National Championship by beating the # 1 ranked team ?

YES OR NO ?

Did a two loss team win the National Championship by beating the # 1 ranked team ?

YES OR NO ?
Yes. In the BCS NC game. I didnt say anything about the BCS

I said, no team has ever made the CFP with 2 losses. And that is still true to this day.

We'll see if it ever changes but as of now, no 2 loss team has ever made the CFP

Reactions: Irishjohn68
WHAT TEAM, WITH TWO LOSSES, WON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP FOR 2007 IN A GAME THAT PITTED THEM AGAINST THE # 1 RANKED TEAM ?

TAKE YOUR TIME, DON’T RUSH, CALL FRIENDS, USE GOOGLE AND LET US KNOW WHEN YOU COME UP WITH THE ANSWER.
I didn’t say a two lose LSU team didn’t win the NC. I said there was not a College Football Playoff in 2007. Plus LSU lost to two teams, one ranked and one 8-5. They didn’t lose to a Marshall type team. Yeah it’s possible, doesn’t happen but once in a blue moon. There will not be a bunch of 2 lose teams at the end of the season and if ND is lucky enough to be one of them there will be a lot of 1 lose teams ( and IMO more 2 lose teams) ahead of them. Not hard to understand.

Pat I can’t imagine what your blood pressure is but it must be out of control for you to get this worked up on a stupid message board.

Reactions: NDblitz
I didn’t say a two lose LSU team didn’t win the NC. I said there was not a College Football Playoff in 2007. Plus LSU lost to two teams, one ranked and one 8-5. They didn’t lose to a Marshall type team. Yeah it’s possible, doesn’t happen but once in a blue moon. There will not be a bunch of 2 lose teams at the end of the season and if ND is lucky enough to be one of them there will be a lot of 1 lose teams ( and IMO more 2 lose teams) ahead of them. Not hard to understand.
Thanks for confirming that a two loss team ranked # 2 played the # 1 ranked team in the Championship game and beat them and was named the National Champion.

What many seem to miss is that the number of losses are secondary to the ranking at selection time.

An ND team that would go undefeated for the rest of the season, having beat two teams ranked in the top 7 or higher, would most likely be ranked 6th or even higher depending on the ranking of other teams.

And, if they were ranked 4th, chances are they get into the playoffs

The answer is, it depends. If there are only 2 loss teams remaining then ND at 10-2 would have an excellent chance. If there are 4 top teams with 0 or 1 loss, it’s not possible. ND with 1 loss to an eventual BCS team didn’t make it last year so the percentages would be extremely low

It is very possible that a 10-2 ND team, if OSU stays in the top 4 would more than likely have a shot at a NY 6 if Clemson and USC’s only loss is to ND.

Just too many variables. The Marshall loss was THE loss and we will pay that price.

ND will crack the top 25 with a BYU win. NC being 4-1 and maybe Cal as well as OSU being in the top 4 starts to show a good resume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT