ADVERTISEMENT

Not your granddaddy's Stanford

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Stanford won. Got some breaks for sure but capitalized. Well coached teams don't piss away the opportunities. Shaw can coach.

This is not your typical Stanford team.

They can throw the football now. The running is still there but they can toss the ball too.

Should be a great match-up Saturday night.

We will find out much more about how good our defense is in this game. Our manhood will be tested at the LOS but unlike other recent Stanford teams they can throw. Size...really big....some speedy guys too.

All eleven on D better be ready.

P.s.
Justin Herbert can play. I don't know if Book can stress the Stanford defense like Herbert did. 26/33 passing but at one point he was 24/26. He can move too.

If BK's comparison of
Book to Trace Mcsorely isn't total horseshit...he should have a big game.

Here we go,

4-0 vs. 4-0

Stanford won. Got some breaks for sure but capitalized. Well coached teams don't piss away the opportunities. Shaw can coach.

They can throw the football now. The running is still there but they can toss the ball too.

We will find out much more about how good our defense is in this game. Our manhood will be tested at the LOS but unlike other recent Stanford teams they can throw. Size...really big....some speedy guys too.

P.s.
Justin Herbert can play. I don't know if Book can stress the Stanford defense like Herbert did. 26/33 passing but at one point he was 24/26. He can move too.

If BK's comparison of

Here we go,

4-0 vs. 4-0

Agreed

And what did Luck or Hogan do?
Graduate?

Luck was tough and Hogan did just enough to be a pain in the ass....

But I'm telling you this...
Stanford present day is the most complete Stanford team we've seen in a long time.

Perhaps the same could be said about our squad too.

Going to be a big game for sure with the winner getting a nice boost heading into the first playoff selection weekend.

This will tell us a lot.

Graduate?

Luck was tough and Hogan did just enough to be a pain in the ass....

But I'm telling you this...
Stanford present day is the most complete Stanford team we've seen in a long time.

Perhaps the same could be said about our squad too.

Going to be a big game for sure with the winner getting a nice boost heading into the first playoff selection weekend.

This will tell us a lot.
I'm not saying they aren't, but you act like those guys didn't pass the ball. Throw in McCaffrey and the others...

I was really impressed with Shaw tonight. He was one cool customer. I could see BK flipping out after the first down at the end. He had only one timeout left. Stanford will be hard to shake. Good teams win the close ones. Can’t wait to watch next week.

Reactions: Quest4Twelve
You are historically accurate my friend. ND held a 16-6 lead going into the 2009 season; since then Stanford leads 7-2. Stanford has won these matchups by 6 ppg, except for Luck's junior and senior year (18.5) and last year (18). Stanford has turned the table on ND and that's why they generally win the head to head recruiting battles also. ND needs to hit them hard in the mouth Saturday night. We need to make their QB flinch like Tommy did in 2011. Hit him hard and often like against WF.

Stanford usually loses big in the beginning of the season to someone and that was their night to lose. Oregon scored a touchdown which should have put them up 31 to 7. It was erroneously called back which led to a 14 point swing. They were lucky to win but you have to be aggressive to beat them. If you lay back their QB will throw all over you which is what we saw in 4th quarter.

P.s.

If BK's comparison of

Here we go,

4-0 vs. 4-0
Agree it should be a really good matchup, but totally disagree with premise that Stanford of old couldn’t or didn’t pass. In addition to Hogan and Luck who have been mentioned, what about Elway and Plunkett and Brodie, et al...? Stanford has a long history of great QBs.

we can guess, Playoffs might look like:
Bama and/or UGA
tOSU (could slip up in CCG.)
Clemson (schd looks favorable)
so the remaining slot for ND means Ok or SU must lose. (1 loss, virtually an elimination for any of 3)

Well ND’s fate as to SU is in it’s own control.
Ok. has 3 very tough games.

Maybe the fairest way is the 4th spot s/b a play your way in game.

My reference point was ND and when they played the Irish. The games for the most part have been competitive and hard fought, with a blowout from time to time. I expect a war on Saturday evening with America watching the game.

Agree it should be a really good matchup, but totally disagree with premise that Stanford of old couldn’t or didn’t pass. In addition to Hogan and Luck who have been mentioned, what about Elway and Plunkett and Brodie, et al...? Stanford has a long history of great QBs.
In the details....
I said unlike other RECENT Stanford teams...this one can throw.
Recent meaning last few years...plunkett, Elway etc...are not recent. Luck isn't that recent.
Hogan was just a pain in the ass.

This Stanford team can score quickly. Very quickly. They are explosive passing and running.
That's the difference!

Tell ya this right now.

This is the best Stanford team we've seen in a very long time.

This very well might be the best ND team they've seen in a long time.

we can guess, Playoffs might look like:
Bama and/or UGA
tOSU (could slip up in CCG.)
Clemson (schd looks favorable)
so the remaining slot for ND means Ok or SU must lose. (1 loss, virtually an elimination for any of 3)

Well ND’s fate as to SU is in it’s own control.
Ok. has 3 very tough games.

Maybe the fairest way is the 4th spot s/b a play your way in game.
Ohio State will not be there. They will leave happy valley with a loss.

In the details....
I said unlike other RECENT Stanford teams...this one can throw.
Recent meaning last few years...plunkett, Elway etc...are not recent. Luck isn't that recent.
Hogan was just a pain in the ass.

This Stanford team can score quickly. Very quickly. They are explosive passing and running.
That's the difference!

Tell ya this right now.

This is the best Stanford team we've seen in a very long time.

This very well might be the best ND team they've seen in a long time.

Yea..I was reacting more to the title. I’ve seen Stanford twice on tv this year, and not sure they’re at all better than last year’s team; and I thought we were the better team last year. Love is as dangerous as last year, but the OL isn’t playing the running game at the same level as last year, at least not yet. Their OL has been great in pass protection, and we damn well better pressure Costello or we’ll be challenged all game to stop their big receivers.

They looked to me just like last year's team that beat us with Costello. They still have the big, slow receivers and tight ends that always seem to get open and catch the ball. And they still have the tough, fundamentally sound defense. We need to exploit our speed advantage, which is what Oregon was doing, until they imploded.

Yes. Stanford used to win by being a finesse, sophisticated passing team. Bill Walsh ball.

Now their offense is more like that of Wisconsin. Bludgeon you with their massive O-line running game, which in turn opens up their passing.

nfl_g_walsh11_576.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT