ADVERTISEMENT

No way MSU qb beats us with his arm

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
I am hearing rumors that State wants to test our young DBs. Sounds good in theory. However, State has a average at best qb. He will not beat anyone with his arm. It would be absolutely crazy if Dantonio sacrifices his talented RB Scott in order to test our DBs.

And if State's average at best QB puts on a Heisman quality game against us?

I am hearing rumors that State wants to test our young DBs. Sounds good in theory. However, State has a average at best qb. He will not beat anyone with his arm. It would be absolutely crazy if Dantonio sacrifices his talented RB Scott in order to test our DBs.

see, two can look at the same thing and get different opins.

The MSU QB can be effective at a controlled passing game. If he can pass just enough to set up the running attack then given that he will not be facing 'The Steel Curtain' that should be enough.

Unfortunately, our defense has a habit of making average QB's look like Heisman trophy winners. It would be nice to get some pressure on the QB but were not so good at doing that either. So, it may be another shoot out and the last one with the ball.

I would guess that the kid may have been a bit nervous in his 1st start.

As a ND fan this is what I expect:
From the MSU QB, Anything is possible: good or bad
From the ND defense: all things are possible, and they are usually 'not good'

He's started one career game. Too early to say if he's below, right at, or above average.

MSUs game plan, as always, will be to establish the run.

He went 13-18 with three TDs and one pick that wasn't his fault. Better athlete than you'd think.

Started the game at OSU last year with Cook out so he's seen a big atmosphere.

Of course, the competition levels of Furman and ND aren't comparable.

Without a pass rusher, any QB can have a Heisman like day. The D-line needs to pressure the QB. Someone needs to step up.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
I'd bet he's a stud. MS gets excellent athletes. Playing ND brings out the best in many players (and teams. )

We need a pass rush, good tackling, and good coverage. Get that and we will win. Our offense will score at least 28. Can we hold them to 27?

Please don't let the Nevada game sway your thinking back to ND having a good defense. So far this year they have proven to be quite inferior and until they can play DECENT (that's all I ask for at this point) defense against top 25 level competition I will not believe in this D. I truly hope they prove me wrong but I don't see it coming.

As far as the original post. Any coach playing vs ND would be dumb to not try and pick on their second CB whoever that may be. I'd be game planning to take a couple shots down the field on that CB twice a quarter. Set a formation that forces one on one coverage and take a shot. That's a no brainer.

If you doubt the ability for MSU to pass on BVG, flashback to the last 20 secs of the stanford game.
No threat to run the ball and guys were running free.
or
remember that little guy Jeremy Gallon fir UM? ND prepared for him but he ran free.

When it come to a defense coordinated by BVG, every play is an adventure!

If you doubt the ability for MSU to pass on BVG, flashback to the last 20 secs of the stanford game.
No threat to run the ball and guys were running free.
or
remember that little guy Jeremy Gallon fir UM? ND prepared for him but he ran free.

When it come to a defense coordinated by BVG, every play is an adventure!

We're also getting "escapades" from Junior's unit....
imo Zaire or Kizer should be taking placekicking snaps...
F the nepotism...

Our interior of our OL is our strength with two seniors with a ton of experience and all B1G left guard Brian Allen. Our tackles can be exposed vs athletic DEs. So, how's your edge pass rushing?

He went in and beat Ohio State last year.

With no disrespect to MI St, but if ND loses it will be because of our defense and if ND wins it will be in spite of our defense. This is not to flame at the defensive players but is just a result of poor scheme and poor fundamentals - and it all starts at the top with the DC. I give the benefit of the doubt in many cases and wanted BVG to be the guy and thought that maybe it did just take time for his style to sink in, but this just isn't the case. Even last week while just giving up points in garbage time, I have to remind myself that Nevada really had no chance against ND - and to see the way they walked down the field at the beginning of the game just showed that we did not have an effective plan or preparation. With the talent gap, I could have coached the D, screwed up the first quarter, and just let our athleticism take over for the rest of the game.

Our O against the MI St D will be interesting to watch, but the D will determine the outcome.

With no disrespect to MI St, but if ND loses it will be because of our defense and if ND wins it will be in spite of our defense. This is not to flame at the defensive players but is just a result of poor scheme and poor fundamentals - and it all starts at the top with the DC. I give the benefit of the doubt in many cases and wanted BVG to be the guy and thought that maybe it did just take time for his style to sink in, but this just isn't the case. Even last week while just giving up points in garbage time, I have to remind myself that Nevada really had no chance against ND - and to see the way they walked down the field at the beginning of the game just showed that we did not have an effective plan or preparation. With the talent gap, I could have coached the D, screwed up the first quarter, and just let our athleticism take over for the rest of the game.

Our O against the MI St D will be interesting to watch, but the D will determine the outcome.

I think it is important to remember that Nevada's quarterback couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and missed wide open receivers all day.

I think this game is a toss up, primarily because our offense is just piss-poor awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT