ADVERTISEMENT

No reason why ND loses to Stanford Saturday night

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
While this is just a feeling here are the reasons ND should handle Stanford with ease.
  • When ND only has to key in on a running attack they normally come out on top
  • The Stanford QB is young and inexperienced
  • This team has a chip on their shoulder post Miami game
  • Kelly/Long have a chance to redeem themselves after Georgia & Miami
  • Wimbush & Dexter will impact the game on offense
  • They know there is an outside change of the playoffs and definitely NY 6 bowl game.

While this is just a feeling here are the reasons ND should handle Stanford with ease.
  • They know there is an outside change of the playoffs and definitely NY 6 bowl game.

"They know there is an outside change of the playoffs and definitely NY 6 bowl game."

Maybe that is what was on their minds against Miami -- look what happened? OK -- a little venting there

On paper, yes, ND has a very good shot at winning this game -- but, what concerns me is -- WHAT ND team will show up? That, for the most part under Kelly, has always been the 64K question.

Reactions: rgc7
1 team has everything to play for. The other team really has nothing except competitive pride.
If Love sits, SU has neither a run or pass threat. Even if Love plays, ND has defended the run very well.
SU QB’s are not good enough to win the game on their own.

I don't think any of these are even true in your favor necessarily.\
1. Maybe (?), ND has struggled against 2-3 run oriented teams this year and lost to Georgia
2. UGA (L) was starting QB who was making his first start, Miami (L) has a first year starter
3. Nothing in the Navy game suggested a chip on ND's shoulder
4. See 3 --- had a chance last week to redeem themselves and that was not easy
5. This is just a hope for the game not a fact at this point
6. Having a chance at the playoffs in the past hasn't helped them against Stanford.

ND has a good shot to win, I hope they win but there is nothing to suggest this should be easy.

I don't think any of these are even true in your favor necessarily.\
1. Maybe (?), ND has struggled against 2-3 run oriented teams this year and lost to Georgia
2. UGA (L) was starting QB who was making his first start, Miami (L) has a first year starter
3. Nothing in the Navy game suggested a chip on ND's shoulder
4. See 3 --- had a chance last week to redeem themselves and that was not easy
5. This is just a hope for the game not a fact at this point
6. Having a chance at the playoffs in the past hasn't helped them against Stanford.

ND has a good shot to win, I hope they win but there is nothing to suggest this should be easy.
If i wanted to waste the time of the readers of this post but I won't...here is a Michigan guy wasting our time....

By start SU will know their fate in the PAC12. IF SU is headed to the CG the I doubt ND sees Love.

(correction: Both games have the same start time. It is going to be a tough decision for SU HC and Love.)

Reactions: Kelso86
We have avenged all our losses from last year to teams on this year's schedule except for Stanford.

We have beaten MSU, NCST, SC and Navy. Only Stanford remains. Last years lost to Stanford was an absolute embarrassment. That gives us a little more motivation.

We have avenged all our losses from last year to teams on this year's schedule except for Stanford.

We have beaten MSU, NCST, SC and Navy. Only Stanford remains. Last years lost to Stanford was an absolute embarrassment. That gives us a little more motivation.

The motivation is a chance to win an NY6 bowl.

Reactions: NIN Irish

Actually think this is a motivating factor with this team. Kelly even alluded to this stat at his last press conference. This and a guarantee major bowl game with a win give ND the motivational edge for sure. I expect a hard fought physical game, and even more so than usual, the winners of the trenches will take home the W. I expect our OL to dominate their DL and our running game to excel, and I expect we’ll see a healthy Dexter have a huge impact for a nice change. The major question is whether we can control their running game, with or without Love. Stanford has been improving as the season has progressed, and ND has slipped backwards a bit. I’ll be really happy if we leave with a one score victory.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I'm not going to say their QB Costello is Andrew Luck but he's a good enough QB that he can make some plays. I just wouldn't underestimate any player this late in the season when they've had 11 games to get better. As far as Love, even hurt against Cal he ripped off a long TD run and showed he still had plenty of speed. I doubt he can do that all game with his ankle but he showed that he is still dangerous even if he is banged up.

My gut though says we still win by a couple of TDs and Wimbush has one of his best games of the year.

I expect our OL to dominate their DL and our running game to excel, and I expect we’ll see a healthy Dexter have a huge impact for a nice change. The major question is whether we can control their running game, with or without Love. Stanford has been improving as the season has progressed, and ND has slipped backwards a bit. I’ll be really happy if we leave with a one score victory.
I really hope you're right about Dexter. I'm over hearing he's ready to go only to be sitting on the sidelines or just covering kicks. Looking back on the season BK will kick himself for not using more thunder & lightning combo. Whether it is Josh/Dexter or Tony/Deon.

I'm not going to say their QB Costello is Andrew Luck but he's a good enough QB that he can make some plays. I just wouldn't underestimate any player this late in the season when they've had 11 games to get better. As far as Love, even hurt against Cal he ripped off a long TD run and showed he still had plenty of speed. I doubt he can do that all game with his ankle but he showed that he is still dangerous even if he is banged up.

My gut though says we still win by a couple of TDs and Wimbush has one of his best games of the year.
This game is all about Wimbush if he plays well we win big if he plays bad it will be close

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT