ADVERTISEMENT

ND finish 9/10 in 2021 recruiting rankings

scubastevefl

I've posted how many times?
Dec 9, 2006
recruiting rankings, ND has had 12 recruiting cycles under Brian Kelly for an average of 12.6, I’ll round down for an even 12.

During the BK era the Irish have finished ranked 7 times (I’m including 2012). The Irish have finished unranked 4 times under BK. I assigned a value of 26 to the 3 unranked seasons and a value of 30 to the lone losing season (I think we can all agree that is an outlier). The average finish moves to 15. If you exclude the outlier the season finish moves to 13.5. Slightly worse than their season recruiting numbers.

I did the numbers quickly on my phone, I’m sure their slightly off.

Last edited:
It is a very well rounded class and I really love that ND took advantage of the rules of allowing more than 100 scholarship players on your team for next year.

Debby downer in me: This class has a lot of projects and not enough sure things, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Reactions: scubastevefl
There seems to be reason to be high on Prince and Rubio, for sure. Riley seemed highly sought after, and JoJo was getting a lot of the "very underrated" type love. But yes, overall this class seems slanted towards the Offense as far as talent.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Realistically speaking that is about where ND should average. Just inside the top 10.

What I want to know is how Kelly, with all this "success" since the 4-8 debacle, still either finishes one spot ahead or one spot behind Harbaugh at Michigan in the recruiting rankings this year? Michigan was a dumpster fire this season with rumors that khaki pants might not be there at the end, and yet here we are with the 2021 recruiting season in the books and Michigan finishes one spot ahead of ND in Rivals and one spot behind in another set of rankings. How the hell does that happen? And how does Clay Helton, another clown, resurrect USC in one year to finish ahead of Notre Dame in the rankings after finishing 60 something last year? Doesn't that make you Kelly lovers wonder about your guy's ability to recruit? I mean I'll give you that USC is a nice place to go to college, social scene, weather, etc., but last I looked, Ann Arbor is north of South Bend and probably in the same place socially as ND. I mean at some point don't you Kelly supporters wonder when all of his "success" is going to translate into recruiting classes that give him a shot at a national championship? Look at that class Alabama signed, best ever. Chances are they will be celebrating their second national championship as a class as Kelly heads into the sunset still pining for his first. Not to mention the fact that Georgia is likely to fall into a championship as well because they continue to stockpile top 5 talent on a yearly basis. One of these years the blind squirrel (Kirby Smart) is going to find an acorn.

It is a very well rounded class and I really love that ND took advantage of the rules of allowing more than 100 scholarship players on your team for next year.

Debby downer in me: This class has a lot of projects and not enough sure things, especially on the defensive side of the ball.
It’s not a good enough class to win a NC anytime soon. Status quo. It’s fun to be good. It’s way better than ND was before BK. I’m just a little tired of hearing ND say they expect a championship but don’t get better recruits. It won’t happen.

Reactions: tkirish
What I want to know is how Kelly, with all this "success" since the 4-8 debacle, still either finishes one spot ahead or one spot behind Harbaugh at Michigan in the recruiting rankings this year? Michigan was a dumpster fire this season with rumors that khaki pants might not be there at the end, and yet here we are with the 2021 recruiting season in the books and Michigan finishes one spot ahead of ND in Rivals and one spot behind in another set of rankings. How the hell does that happen? And how does Clay Helton, another clown, resurrect USC in one year to finish ahead of Notre Dame in the rankings after finishing 60 something last year? Doesn't that make you Kelly lovers wonder about your guy's ability to recruit? I mean I'll give you that USC is a nice place to go to college, social scene, weather, etc., but last I looked, Ann Arbor is north of South Bend and probably in the same place socially as ND. I mean at some point don't you Kelly supporters wonder when all of his "success" is going to translate into recruiting classes that give him a shot at a national championship? Look at that class Alabama signed, best ever. Chances are they will be celebrating their second national championship as a class as Kelly heads into the sunset still pining for his first. Not to mention the fact that Georgia is likely to fall into a championship as well because they continue to stockpile top 5 talent on a yearly basis. One of these years the blind squirrel (Kirby Smart) is going to find an acorn.

SC always gets great recruits at certain positions, as do the Florida schools. Michigan is #2 in a large conference so they usually get something, but not sure why they are still top 10.

As Barry Switzer used to say. Signing the class was great. But now you have to find out if they can actually play major college football at a high level. Some will, some will not. The true evaluation of this class is at least 2-3 years away. Any person pumping any sunshine regarding any aspect of Michigan football (Recruiting, Coaching, Record) is pretty much being a clown.

Sorry gang, I disagree with those who feel ND can’t get the top players. Kelly is not a great recruiter. He has had an assist here and there that are very good. But that‘s it. People act like they can’t get 5 star players. They offer a lot of the 5 stars. Maybe it‘s not as many as other schools but it’s enough to at least land 2 a cycle. They don’t get them . It’s not grades it‘s not weather. It’s coaching and it’s selling. Kelly is average at both. Bring Saban in and the 5 stars they can actually offer, he would get his share . I have no doubt. Weis, brought on great offensive talent. He didn’t do so well defensively. He wasn‘t a good head coach either. But he still had a couple high rated classes. He knew how to get offensive talent. Somewhere out there is a coach who can get ND back to elite status. Whether or not he ends up at ND is a mystery at this point.

Reactions: spenna
Sorry gang, I disagree with those who feel ND can’t get the top players. Kelly is not a great recruiter. He has had an assist here and there that are very good. But that‘s it. People act like they can’t get 5 star players. They offer a lot of the 5 stars. Maybe it‘s not as many as other schools but it’s enough to at least land 2 a cycle. They don’t get them . It’s not grades it‘s not weather. It’s coaching and it’s selling. Kelly is average at both. Bring Saban in and the 5 stars they can actually offer, he would get his share . I have no doubt. Weis, brought on great offensive talent. He didn’t do so well defensively. He wasn‘t a good head coach either. But he still had a couple high rated classes. He knew how to get offensive talent. Somewhere out there is a coach who can get ND back to elite status. Whether or not he ends up at ND is a mystery at this point.
And yet the people who actually know what’s going on, which you don’t, completely disagree.

Well; Alabama signed 10 of the top 50 recruits in the nation, according to one source I saw. ND signed 0. USC;
LSU and others shared the other 40. Draw your own conclusions.

And yet the people who actually know what’s going on, which you don’t, completely disagree.

Well... the idea of insisting on two five-stars a class is asinine. It's a completely non-serious suggestion, through and through. It is fair to say, technically speaking, we could easily have higher rated classes. If we merely consistently get more highly rated guys in a given class as a whole, and then just keep doing that all the time. That's a truism. So there's no doubt that BK could have higher rated classes, and not only is it technically possible, Weis has already proven it a practical possibility as well.

But essentially forcing a ND coach to deliver five-star recruits? Maybe in some sort of nightmarish, evil corporate environment, as an employee you might be held to some arbitrary demand by your boss that you either meet it or else. Try that with a head football coach at a place like ND and see how that goes. Maybe at some random state school a particularly ballsy and ruthless AD with a few wealthy boosters backing him up could try something like that. It probably wouldn't work. They might be able to meet their recruiting goals, they probably wouldn't meet their W/L goals.

I would say if you want to fire BK or any coach for their recruiting insufficiencies, then go for it. That is more than fair IMO. But you're not ever going to be able to make explicit, specific recruiting demands on any coach where he cannot personally control or guarantee the outcome and have it work out for you. I guess if you merely threatened a coach with something like that, it might scare him into working harder. But I think that would backfire too. It's just a generally awful idea.

Last edited:
I agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT