ADVERTISEMENT

ND and MSU home and home 26 and 27

This series was previously announced. Now the dates are being finalized. ND/MSU has typically been a hard fought series. Echowaker can chime in with his thoughts.
You could argue that the Michigan State fan base despises Notre Dame more than Michigan does.

Reactions: Kelso86
You could argue that the Michigan State fan base despises Notre Dame more than Michigan does.
Being from Michigan, I wouldn’t even say it’s an argument.

Going to games @ Spartan Stadium has been by far my worst away fan experience. I would say 10x worse than Michigan & 5x worse than The Shoe.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
The worst away game experience I ever had was Ohio St. in 1995. By far.
If you don’t mind me asking, what happened during your visit as a fan in Columbus? When I was in the Marching Band at ND, I heard a story about a marching band member getting punched in the jaw at the 1995 game. I’ll never forget the 2010 game in East Lansing. We were situated against the wall in the endzone where the Little Giants play happened. Luckily I was in a different section but during the MSU celebration, several saxophone players got pinned against the wall and one or two suffered fractured ribs as a result.

As a Purdue guy, I'd say the best and most gracious game hosts were Penn State, ND and Illinois. The worst were Indiana, Michigan State and Indiana. I'd probably add Indiana to that bummer list. Never had an issue at Ohio State or Michigan.

If you don’t mind me asking, what happened during your visit as a fan in Columbus? When I was in the Marching Band at ND, I heard a story about a marching band member getting punched in the jaw at the 1995 game. I’ll never forget the 2010 game in East Lansing. We were situated against the wall in the endzone where the Little Giants play happened. Luckily I was in a different section but during the MSU celebration, several saxophone players got pinned against the wall and one or two suffered fractured ribs as a result.

Sure, when I was at OSU in 1995, Ohio St. fans repeatedly got in my face and in the faces of the others I was with. It was not friendly banter. It was deliberately trying to provoke violence. This happened a good 6-8 times. It was the only time I ever attended a sporting event that I was concerned for my own safety.

Sure, when I was at OSU in 1995, Ohio St. fans repeatedly got in my face and in the faces of the others I was with. It was not friendly banter. It was deliberately trying to provoke violence. This happened a good 6-8 times. It was the only time I ever attended a sporting event that I was concerned for my own safety.
Not surprised. Again, worst fan base I have experienced, and no one else is close.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think Coach Smith was a great hire. I look for them to be very competitive this year. No one should sleep on them.
Good coach, not sure about the fit at Mich state. Like the QB. Maybe 7 wins this year if he does a good job

If he doesn't hit 6 wins, mich st fans should be disappointed and slightly worried

Good coach, not sure about the fit at Mich state. Like the QB. Maybe 7 wins this year if he does a good job

If he doesn't hit 6 wins, mich st fans should be disappointed and slightly worried
Jonathan Smith was a smart hire at Michigan State.

Good coach, we'll see about the fit. Time will tell
Based on what he did in Corvallis, Oregon, the product he developed at Oregon State, which is a rough place to build anything, he's better than good.

A tough, old school, hard nosed head coach who coaches two simple concepts really well.

Block and tackle.

Based on what he did in Corvallis, Oregon, the product he developed at Oregon State, which is a rough place to build anything, he's better than good.

A tough, old school, hard nosed head coach who coaches two simple concepts really well.

Block and tackle.
Good coach, question the fit

I don't.

The dude is perfect for that conference.

Offenses that put you to sleep, hard nose defenses, fundamentally sound football is right in Jonathan Smith's wheelhouse.
No connection to the area. How is he going to recruit. How is he going to adjust to the Big 10

That's funny. He has the Nike money to back him up? Since when I'd like to know

Right now in the 25 class, he has 0 four stars....
Sounds like Oregon State recruiting.

So what.

And the transfer portal has changed the fabric of CFB drastically.

Sounds like Oregon State recruiting.

So what.

And the transfer portal has changed the fabric of CFB drastically.
So what... it matters that's what

He was Oregon State. He is an outsider at MSU with no connection to the area

And by the way, this Big 10 is MUCH harder than the pac.

He's going to have to win some games this year to be able to recruit. He has his work cut out for him. If they struggle, good luck

So what... it matters that's what

He was Oregon State. He is an outsider at MSU with no connection to the area

And by the way, this Big 10 is MUCH harder than the pac.

He's going to have to win some games this year to be able to recruit. He has his work cut out for him. If they struggle, good luck
The transfer portal now allows everyone to improve much faster.

And the dude can coach.

I believe he will succeed.

That’s wild. Thanks for sharing.

Did you go to the 1996 game in South Bend? If so, did you notice if they were just as bad on the road?

How did Mike Riley turn out at Nebraska?
How did Scott Frost turn out at Nebraska? He’s from Nebraska and played there.

Matt Rhule was from the Northeast and did well at Baylor.

I don’t think Smith being from outside the Midwest is an issue at all. I’m interested in seeing how he does. I’d love to see them beat Michigan and OSU.

Yeah, something really got under his skin about Notre Dame at some point. Random fans coming here to stir up trouble is nothing new, but it's rare to find someone as persistent as he is.

Yeah, this has been an ongoing campaign. I could speculate as to the reason. But why bother?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT