ADVERTISEMENT

ND and House V. NCAA

The OP made no mention of ND being at a disadvantage because of the extra playoff game. That was me in response to post #6, which asked what the argument would be for potentially joining a conference. I offered the lack of a bye and later added the lack of access to the playoffs after losing three or four games.

Regardless of whether or not an 8-4 or 9-3 conference champ deserves a spot, that’s the current situation. If ND was in a conference, they could potentially make the playoffs with a 9-4 or 10-3 record and even get a bye on top of it.

That doesn’t mean I want them to join a conference.
Would you really want a 3-4 loss ND team in the playoffs? They would have zero shot at winning and would probably get spanked in the 1st round.

It’s “very very unlikely” but Kansas State did it just two years ago and Okie State had a chance to do that last year? Texas in 2018 had a chance. North Carolina had a chance in 2022. They would have gone from #23 all the way to #4 just by beating a 10-2 Clemson.

9-3 teams with a chance to jump all the way to #4 with a bye. Yet ND goes 10-2 and is in no way a lock to even make the field.

Again, I’m not saying I want ND to join a conference.
You gave 1 example and several what-ifs. Eventually they'll expand to 16 with no byes so it won't matter.

You gave 1 example and several what-ifs. Eventually they'll expand to 16 with no byes so it won't matter.
Utah won the Pac 12 in both 2021 and 2022 after going 9-3. Washington did it in 2018. In 2021 Utah was outside of the top 12/14 too.

I’d really like to know what the format is for 2026. I haven’t been able to find anything.

Would you really want a 3-4 loss ND team in the playoffs? They would have zero shot at winning and would probably get spanked in the 1st round.
100% I want a 10-3 or 9-4 ND team in the playoffs. A team can lose games due to injury and horrible luck or flukes. Plus you can recruit off of that… “we’ve been to the playoffs (or quarterfinals) ‘X’ times in a row”.

I can think of a couple ND teams that were better than their record.

Last edited:
100% I want a 10-3 or 9-4 ND team in the playoffs. A team can lose games due to injury and horrible luck or flukes. Plus you can recruit off of that… “we’ve been to the playoffs (or quarterfinals) ‘X’ times in a row”.

I can think of a couple ND teams that were better than their record.
Tough post to read.

Thankfully the Notre Dame Admin wants no part of a conference.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I want ND to remain an independent, as I expect 99% of the fanbase does. But as I read more about the settlement being discussed in the House v. NCAA case, as well as the other related class action cases againt the NCAA that are following in the pipeline (the Hubbard, Carter and Fontenot cases), it seems increasingly inevitable to me that college football is moving toward the creation of a couple of super conferences or a super league. The proposed settlement in the House case will have the NCAA pay a settlement fund of $3 billion and going forward will allow power conference athletes to share in annual school revenues. If the settlement is approved, it will bring some seismic changes to the game. The several stories I have read say that the smaller Divison I conferences and schools are expected to give a lot of push back against the deal being discussed--because basically they are being kicked to the curb by it--so it is by no means a given it will happen, but we all will have to wait and see. So sadly, the days of ND remaining an independent may be numbered. I truly hope I am wrong, but we will see how all of this shakes out. Hold on to your hats.

In the event you are interested, here is an AP story that came out today on the proposed House settlement:

Last edited:
I want ND to remain an independent, as I expect 99% of the fanbase does. But as I read more about the settlement being discussed in the House v. NCAA case, as well as the other related class action cases againt the NCAA that are following in the pipeline (the Hubbard, Carter and Fontenot cases), it seems increasingly inevitable to me that college football is moving toward the creation of a couple of super conferences or a super league. The proposed settlement in the House case will have the NCAA pay a settlement fund of $3 billion and going forward will allow power conference athletes to share in annual school revenues. If the settlement is approved, it will bring some seismic changes to the game. The several stories I have read say that the smaller Divison I conferences and schools are expected to give a lot of push back against the deal being discussed--because basically they are being kicked to the curb by it--so it is by no means a given it will happen, but we all will have to wait and see. So sadly, the days of ND remaining an independent may be numbered. I truly hope I am wrong, but we will see how all of this shakes out. Hold on to your hats.

In the event you are interested, here is an AP story that came out today on the proposed House settlement:

I believe you are wrong.

Thirty Million a year for 10 years is going to hit a University Budget somewhere isn't it ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT