ADVERTISEMENT

My take on book vs isu and moving forward

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Let me start off by saying I hope he does and I think he should come back.
With that said he Has to grow a ton more reading the field and going through his progressions.

in this game book made a bunch of great plays but missed a ton of easy plays. Our TEs were running wide open all game down the seams and over the middle. It’s amazing chase had such a good game with as much attention as he got by isu.

this game for book needs to be his bad game in 2020. If everyone comes back and Austin is what we expect with the new talent ND should average over 40ppg and become elite offensively.

kmet and book are huge for Nd in 2020. Hope we get good news soon

Reactions: pink4141
With that said he Has to grow a ton more reading the field and going through his progressions.

in this game book made a bunch of great plays but missed a ton of easy plays. Our TEs were running wide open all game down the seams and over the middle. It’s amazing chase had such a good game with as much attention as he got by isu.

this game for book needs to be his bad game in 2020. If everyone comes back and Austin is what we expect with the new talent ND should average over 40ppg and become elite offensively.

A “TON”

Effectively, He only missed 6 passes !

what “ton” of easy plays did he miss ?
Please cite the quarter and the game clocks

thanks

Kmet isn’t coming back after that second round grade.

A “TON”

thanks
Too many to name... announcers were even saying it..

If you complete a 5 yard pass when a wide open player for a 30 yard pass is missed it still goes as a completion for 5 yards.
Yes jones had awful drop and chase slipped on second play of game but there was also some great catches. He didn’t play bad today, but his level of play today needs to be the new bar.

If you complete a 5 yard pass when a wide open player for a 30 yard pass is missed it still goes as a completion for 5 yards.
Yes jones had awful drop and chase slipped on second play of game but there was also some great catches. He didn’t play bad today, but his level of play today needs to be the new bar.

He only had 6 incompletions

name the play where he hit a receiver for 5 yards but a player was open 30 yards down the field.

physics say it’s impossible unless Superman was one of his receivers.
Since when are the announcers the ultimate authority ?

how do you know who his primary receiver was ?

name the play where he hit a receiver for 5 yards but a player was open 30 yards down the field.

Braden Lenzy on 3rd and 9 for 7 yards... Armstrong ok 3rd and 10 for 3 yards

He had 8 incompletions... stop lying

Don’t quote physics when you can’t even read a box score

what does his primary receiver have to do with anything? That’s called getting through your progressions as I spoke about above

Stop trying to be a d*ck with your ridiculous questions and comments and citing plays. You're acting like a pric

Reactions: bcases

The offense as a whole is in

R E A L L Y

SSSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW

MMMOOOTTTTTIIIIIIOOOONNNN.

Don’t argue with PatIrish on any topic— betting lines, targeting, you name it, but especially not the perfection of Ian Book as quarterback.

Last edited:
Reactions: irish4life888
A “TON”

thanks
Remember two of those incompletions were almost ints
Book does not see the field. Do we have a better option for 2020? Dunno

Reactions: irish4life888
Braden Lenzy on 3rd and 9 for 7 yards... Armstrong ok 3rd and 10 for 3 yards

He had 8 incompletions... stop lying

Don’t quote physics when you can’t even read a box score

what does his primary receiver have to do with anything? That’s called getting through your progressions as I spoke about above

i said that he “effectively” had 6 incompletions and that’s correct.
A receiver dropped a perfect pass and another receiver fell making his cut, both passes should have been caught.

“What does his “primary” receiver have to do with anything ?”
It has everything to do with who he’s supposed to throw to.
If the play calls for him to throw to his primary receiver and he completes that pass it doesn’t matter who else is open. The route patterns and blocking schemes are based upon hitting the primary receiver.

you said that he hit receivers for 5 yards when receivers were open 30 yards down field.

who did he hit for 5 yards and who was open 30 yards downfield on that play?

Stop trying to be a d*ck with your ridiculous questions and comments and citing plays. You're acting like a pric

Not at all, I’m just asking someone who’s made a negative, declarative statement to back it up with facts.

And if you can’t back it up with facts then the statement isn’t valid, it’s just Book bashing absent reality.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Not at all, I’m just asking someone who’s made a negative, declarative statement to back it up with facts.

And if you can’t back it up with facts then the statement isn’t valid, it’s just Book bashing absent reality.
Yeah expecting someone to go back and show you the exact time and play and all the other nonsense you ask when the game is over is riduculous. Stop asking d*ck questions. It was mentioned on the broadcast. Coach d had the exact play on his site. We shouldnt have to tell you after the game because you dont understand. You go back and watch and then you can see for yourself

I thought that “almosts” don’t count !
Depends. In 93 FSU was voted natty. Would not happen today. And FSU was “almost” as good as ND. But they were champs but not in my book

in 2014 ND “almost” beat FSU. But because of a dick ref we lost. But not in my book

tonight Book almost threw two ints. But he didn’t. That was more the failing of the corners. Book was lucky. So in my book, it shows Book has an inability to see the field

Don’t argue with PatIrish on any topic— betting lines, targeting, you name it, but especially not the perfection of Ian Book as quarterback.

I never said that Book was perfect, but 20/22 for 28 (71.4 % to 79 %) for 247 yds with no INT’s is impressive by any metric.

Trevor Lawrence was 18 for 33 for 54 % tonight.
Do you think that the Clemson fans are ragging on him like the supposed ND fans are ragging on Book.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I never said that Book was perfect, but 20/22 for 28 (71.4 % to 79 %) for 247 yds with no INT’s is impressive by any metric.

Do you think that the Clemson fans are ragging on him like the supposed ND fans are ragging on Book.
Small difference. One played palooka ISU the other played The OSU!

They played Ohio State.

I hope they both return as well and I’m glad you came around on Book. He is a good college QB but I’m optimistic about the backups as well. The program is trending up.

Yeah expecting someone to go back and show you the exact time and play and all the other nonsense you ask when the game is over is riduculous. Stop asking d*ck questions. It was mentioned on the broadcast. Coach d had the exact play on his site. We shouldnt have to tell you after the game because you dont understand. You go back and watch and then you can see for yourself

so we should accept B.S. allegations as fact.

As to citing a play and substantiating a claim, that’s what recording and replay is for.

how does Book hit a receiver who’s 5 yards downfield when another receiver is alleged to be open 30 yards down field ? Pure B.S.
No one is running a one second 30 yard pattern.

That’s the source of your information, it was mentioned in the broadcast ?

When and who mentioned it ?

if you make definitive statements you should be able to substantiate them.

I stated that two passes should have been completed, one where the receiver dropped an easy pass and another where Claypool slipped on his cut.

if I can substantiate my statements is it too much to ask others to substantiate their statements ?

since when are reckless or unsubstantiated statements to be accepted as valid.

you shouldn’t be afraid of the facts, you should embrace them..... unless of course your statements have no basis in facts

They played Ohio State.

so when Book played Georgia, a team everyone is saying should have replaced Oklahoma in the playoffs, and he went 29 for 47 for 61.7 % he should have been praised to the rafters, no ?

you can’t have it both ways !

so we should accept B.S. allegations as fact.

As to citing a play and substantiating a claim, that’s what recording and replay is for.

how does Book hit a receiver who’s 5 yards downfield when another receiver is alleged to be open 30 yards down field ? Pure B.S.
No one is running a one second 30 yard pattern.

That’s the source of your information, it was mentioned in the broadcast ?

When and who mentioned it ?

if you make definitive statements you should be able to substantiate them.

I stated that two passes should have been completed, one where the receiver dropped an easy pass and another where Claypool slipped on his cut.

if I can substantiate my statements is it too much to ask others to substantiate their statements ?

since when are reckless or unsubstantiated statements to be accepted as valid.

you shouldn’t be afraid of the facts, you should embrace them..... unless of course your statements have no basis in facts
Boss, you do realize that Book can sit in the pocket for 3 or 4 seconds and throw a 5 yard pass to his check down guy. A guy can be 40 yards down field when you throw a 5 yard pass..... You do understand that in football right....maybe you dont

Yes your questions are ridiculous. Tell me the play the time the play clock. Who was open. Was it raining. Who was in the stands. Go watch it.

It was said on broadcast. Coach D has the play on his site. Im not doing the work for ya. Go figure it out yourself.

And try to understand how a qb can sit in the pocket and players can be running wide open down field. The qb can miss the open guy and check it down for 5 yards....

Boss, you do realize that Book can sit in the pocket for 3 or 4 seconds and throw a 5 yard pass to his check down guy. A guy can be 40 yards down field when you throw a 5 yard pass..... You do understand that in football right....maybe you dont

cite the play and stop offering B.S. hypotheticals

Yes your questions are ridiculous. Tell me the play the time the play clock. Who was open. Was it raining. Who was in the stands. Go watch it.

I did and I’ll watch it again. You and others made or supported the allegations, so substantiate your claims

It was said on broadcast. Coach D has the play on his site. Im not doing the work for ya. Go figure it out yourself.

so some broadcaster says something and we’re supposed to accept it as the gospel ? I guess we should accept everything that Flutie says.

And try to understand how a qb can sit in the pocket and players can be running wide open down field. The qb can miss the open guy and check it down for 5 yards....

cite the play, quarter and game clock, if you can’t you’re just B.S.ing. And Book bashing absent substantiating facts.

cite the play and stop offering B.S. hypotheticals

I did and I’ll watch it again. You and others made or supported the allegations, so substantiate your claims

so some broadcaster says something and we’re supposed to accept it as the gospel ? I guess we should accept everything that Flutie says.

cite the play, quarter and game clock, if you can’t you’re just B.S.ing. And Book bashing absent substantiating facts.
You think that is a hypothetical. That a qb can throw a 5yard pass while guys are running down field.....You are truly dumb as sh*t.

You think that is a hypothetical. That a qb can throw a 5yard pass while guys are running down field.....You are truly dumb as sh*t.

l’ve got the game on replay right now, so tell me the quarter and game clock on the plays you mentioned.

I’ll save you time, You can skip the first quarter

I’ll help you out some more, it wasn’t in the second quarter.

Hint, it’s not the 3rd quarter and so far NOT one announcer has said that Book had open, deeper receivers further down field

Book had deficiencies for sure, progressions, deep ball in particular. That said he had like 35 TDs and 6 Ints this season, that’s a pretty good line.

He doesn’t give up, he’s makes plays with his feet, he wins a lot of games, doesn’t turn the ball over.

What do all of you geniuses suggest we do at QB then?

Totally agree about seeing the field and moving through his progressions timely. What concerns me more is his unwillingness to trust the routes and his need to wait until the receiver is open before he pulls the trigger. Not every play, but way too often; and these are sacks or interceptions or incompletions or scrambles back to the LOS against elite defenses. He had all day to make his few long throws today to a wide open Claypool. Not what we need to go to the next level.

Reactions: rgc7
Guess what, it didn’t happen in the 4th quarter either.

and NOT once did an announcer say that Book had an open man 30 yards down the field when Book completed a pass to a shorter receiver.

you lied, you fabricated your claim.

now there’s a minuscule possibility that I may have missed something, so I’ll watch the game AGAIN, tomorrow.

but after watching it again, not once did Book Complete a 5 yard pass to a receiver with a wide open receiver 30 yards downfield.

you lied !

in your attempt to criticize and diminish Book’s performance against ISU, you lied, you fabricated scenarios that never happened, you cited third party quotes that never occured.

how could you do that ?

WHY would you do that ?

you lied and repeated your lie !

false in one, false in many.

shame on you for attempting to denigrate a fine performance by Book

“Let me start off by saying I hope he does and I think he should come back.

kmet and book are huge for Nd in 2020. Hope we get good news soon”

“Missed a ton of easy plays”?
Another load from the op on the subject.
You bashers are so full of it when you say he missed open guys. Newsflash to those of you that use this line of bullshit to nitpick book, and that includes posters, announcers and the beat writers. Every single qb misses seeing open wrs in a game. Every single one, in every single game. This notion that when a qb doesn’t happen to see an open wr on a play is some proof that he isn’t any good because of it is so uninformed and is void of realizing that this happens from time to time, to EVERY qb.

Give the book bashing a rest, it’s unwarranted, no matter how bad you hate the guy.

Reactions: SurfStyle

and NOT once did an announcer say that Book had an open man 30 yards down the field when Book completed a pass to a shorter receiver.

now there’s a minuscule possibility that I may have missed something, so I’ll watch the game AGAIN, tomorrow.

but after watching it again, not once did Book Complete a 5 yard pass to a receiver with a wide open receiver 30 yards downfield.

you lied !

in your attempt to criticize and diminish Book’s performance against ISU, you lied, you fabricated scenarios that never happened, you cited third party quotes that never occured.

how could you do that ?

WHY would you do that ?

You are officially the biggest horse's rear end on this board....and that's saying something....

you lied !

how could you do that ?

WHY would you do that ?

1st quarter. 10:30 on the clock. 2nd down. Book threw the ball away. No pressure.

Analyst says "Missed one there. Had Tommy Tremble down that seam against Iowa States cover 3."

He didnt complete the pass. He threw it away. Tremble running down seam. The pass Book has missed the most this year.

Reactions: GDFan

you lied !

how could you do that ?

WHY would you do that ?

This from Bryan Driskell, probably the best analyst covering ND

"Book had some missed reads where down field throws were open, and early on he was rushing through his progressions, but he settled down and showed more poise in the pocket as the game wore on."

So that is 2 analyst who were at the game who said he missed downfield throws

Totally agree about seeing the field and moving through his progressions timely. What concerns me more is his unwillingness to trust the routes and his need to wait until the receiver is open before he pulls the trigger. Not every play, but way too often; and these are sacks or interceptions or incompletions or scrambles back to the LOS against elite defenses. He had all day to make his few long throws today to a wide open Claypool. Not what we need to go to the next level.
Exactly.... book didn’t hit a player in stride more than 10 yards down the field all game. Only reason claypool got YAC yards downfield field was book had all day at times and coverage broke down. At least now he hung in and waited.

if book helps to beat Clemson next year and accounts for 3 tds he’ll get major props like Lawrence vs osu. Lawrence was getting crushed and he gutted out that win. Book might be the healthiest least hit qb in all of college.

A “TON”

thanks
I was at the game and he missed a few plays. One finale was wide open down the sideline on a broken coverage which would have been a walk-in TD. (ended up hitting claypool for a big gain). Another he missed tremble down the seam for an easy touchdown(threw an incomplete pass). He played a good game but if he hits those reads we are at a different level.

Reactions: BGI User 1596
1st quarter. 10:30 on the clock. 2nd down. Book threw the ball away. No pressure.

Analyst says "Missed one there. Had Tommy Tremble down that seam against Iowa States cover 3."

He didnt complete the pass. He threw it away. Tremble running down seam. The pass Book has missed the most this year.

You’re wrong again, your problem is you listened to the announcer instead of looking closely at the play.

Tremble gets behind the linebacker but NOT behind the safety who slides over from the right side of the field to cover him.
There was no one open so Book wisely threw it away.
Smart play by Book.

however, you clearly stated that Book completed a 5 yard pass when a receiver was wide open 30 yards downfield. That never happened !

You lied !

And, after Book completed a short pass, none of the announcers said that he had a receiver wide open 30 yards down the field.

So you lied again !

You’ll lie just to try to make Book look bad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT