ADVERTISEMENT

My Defense For The Rest Of The Season

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
First of all, Brian Kelly is going to play a much more vanilla defense for the remainder of the season and he's going to try to bring out the toughness in this group. They're going to play much more base defense and this is the group I'd play in that base defense.

DE: Isaac Rochell (40% of snaps)
2. Jonathan Bonner (40% of snaps)
3. Khalid Kareem (20% of snaps)

DT: Jerry Tillery (50% of snaps)
2. Isaac Rochell (30% of snaps)
3. Jonathan Bonner (20% of snaps)

NG: Daniel Cage (60% of snaps)
2. Jarron Jones (40% of snaps)

DE: Jay Hayes (40% of snaps)
2. Andrew Trumbetti (20% of snaps)
3. Daelin Hayes (30% of snaps)
4. Julian Okwara (10% snaps)

OLB: Te'von Coney (50% of snaps)
2. Greer Martini (20% of snaps)
3. Asmar Bilal (30% of snaps)

ILB: Nyles Morgan (80% of snaps)

OLB: James Onwualu (80% of snaps)
2. Asmar Bilal (20% of snaps)

CB: Donte Vaughn (60% of snaps)
2. Nick Coleman (40% of snaps)

FS: Devin Studstill (60% of snaps)
2. Jalen Elliot (40% of snaps)

SS: Drue Tranquil (50% of snaps)
2. Avery Sebastien (50% of snaps)

CB: Cole Luke (80% of snaps)
2. Julian Love (20% of snaps)

1. Jay Hayes needs to start at WDE. He should be far enough removed from the ankle injury to play a good number of snaps. Andrew Trumbetti needs to play far less and the coaches need to tell him "you're only playing 12-15 snaps, make the most of them and you'll get more. Don't and each week you'll get less"... The two young ends needs to see more and more each week, but they can only handle so much.

2. Isaac Rochell and Jonathan Bonner both need to take reps from Jerry Tillery at defensive tackle, because both of them are good inside and because Tillery plays much better when he's being pushed and challenged for reps.

3. Daniel Cage and Jarron Jones need to continue to split snaps at NG.

4. Asmar Bilal needs snaps at both WILL and SAM. He's a very good athlete. Get his ass on the field. Martini can take some snaps away from Morgan at MIKE and backup Coney at WILL.

5. Donte Vaughn nees to start. He's simply a better, more instinctual, high upside player than Nick Coleman. Don't give up on Nick, however, Vaughn isn't ready to take all the snaps. Both have to play, but Vaughn needs to Lion's share of the snaps.

6. Studstill and Elliot need to continue to rotate at FS. Studstill can still get the majority of snaps, but can't play all night. Elliot's development over the course of the season is important, both for this year and next.

7. Tranquil and Sebastien need to be in a 50/50 rotation at SS. Both can play, but wear down and get over-exposed over the course of a 70-90 play game. Split their snaps and get the most out of what they have to offer.

8. Cole Luke needs a break too. Julian Love has been one of my favourite players on the defense this season, because he works, competes and when he gets beat, he does so while giving great effort. Get him 20% of Luke's snaps at corner, while continuing to let him grow as your nickel.

I want to see all 25 of those guys playing this week, and each week. Obviously substitution patterns will differ each week, based on the tempo of the opponent, the style of offense, and injuries that will inevitably occur, but those guys all need to play... If there is growth in a particular player, then give them incrementally more each week, to see what they can handle.

An 8-4 season with an upset over USC or Stanford is still a possibility. The team needs to galvanize itself. The offensive players need to say "we got your backs, do what you can do" to their brothers on defense. Brian Kelly, Greg Hudson and the ND defensive staff need to start loving their defensive players. Work them harder than they've been worked relative to physicality in practice, but scrap all the the BS zone-blitzes, with DL dropping into coverage. Scrap the 5 or 6 personnel packages that limit substitutions and work with your base 4-3 and your nickel. Be aggressive with your front 7 and passive with your backend. Understand the limitations of the entire group and the individuals within it. Don't ask guys to do things outside of their ability.

This is not an incredibly talented group of ND defenders, but they have far more talent than many groups around the country that put up far better numbers. Start coaching them like that. Start preparing each week to limit points and Kizer and the offense a chance to win you games. Cause some turnovers and limit teams to some field goals. Play with energy. Isaac Rochell, James Onwualu and Cole Luke will be earning NFL money next year. My guess is that Morgan, Coney, Vaughn and Studstill will someday as well. Others, we'll have to wait-and-see. This defense has a enough talent, if coached correctly, simplified and infused with energy, to keep ND in the rest of its game.

Time to rally boys. The season is a write off in terms of high end bowl aspirations, but with a really young group, reinforcements are on the way in terms of a quality defensive recruiting class (that hopefully stays together) and a new coordinator will be put in place next year to bring promise... Finish this season on a high note, return 7-8 starters next season and 12-15 players with significant playing time and fix this.

well, the one thing that has to be corrected is JT on defense at all.

And even on defense he is at the wrong position.

An ordinary D player but potential dominant OT on offense.

Perse,

While completely true (something we've always agreed on) Tillery isn't moving from defense mid-season). Once Hinish and Ewell arrive, and Dew-Treadway has recovered (fingers crossed) ND will have enough bodies to make that move, but for now, they need to get out of Jerry, what they can.

My dream offensive line at ND two years from now, would look like this...

LT: Jerry Tillery (6'7, 320lbs)- SR
LG: Tommy Kraemer (6'5, 320lbs)- JR
C: Sam Mustipher (6'3, 305lbs)- 5th
RT: Tristen Hoge (6'4, 310lbs)- SR
RG: LT: Liam Eichenberg (6'6, 310lbs)- JR

I think that could be the best offensive line of the Kelly era.

Jerry Tillery was a standout o_lineman. At least that was the projection. As you guys say he would be better off there. That said my concern is about the D against the high octane spread of Syracuse. We do not have the horses at safety and SS to handle it and I do not feel the love for our corners. I hope we put these guys in situations where they can win the majority of the time

well, the one thing that has to be corrected is JT on defense at all.

And even on defense he is at the wrong position.

An ordinary D player but potential dominant OT on offense.
Is it too late to move him?

Is this a real possibility? Or is it just message board chatter. FWIW---I agree. Would love to see JT on O.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

Is this a real possibility? Or is it just message board chatter. FWIW---I agree. Would love to see JT on O.
More like message board blather! Who would he replace? Not having played the position since High School puts him at a distinct disadvantage competitively. If he doesn't have the character and discipline to play Defense what makes you think he could play Offense? IIO i'll see you at T.D.Place Saturday Go GeeGees!

Reactions: Bodizephax
First of all, Brian Kelly is going to play a much more vanilla defense for the remainder of the season and he's going to try to bring out the toughness in this group. They're going to play much more base defense and this is the group I'd play in that base defense.

1. Jay Hayes needs to start at WDE. He should be far enough removed from the ankle injury to play a good number of snaps. Andrew Trumbetti needs to play far less and the coaches need to tell him "you're only playing 12-15 snaps, make the most of them and you'll get more. Don't and each week you'll get less"... The two young ends needs to see more and more each week, but they can only handle so much.

2. Isaac Rochell and Jonathan Bonner both need to take reps from Jerry Tillery at defensive tackle, because both of them are good inside and because Tillery plays much better when he's being pushed and challenged for reps.

4. Asmar Bilal needs snaps at both WILL and SAM. He's a very good athlete. Get his ass on the field. Martini can take some snaps away from Morgan at MIKE and backup Coney at WILL.

5. Donte Vaughn nees to start. He's simply a better, more instinctual, high upside player than Nick Coleman. Don't give up on Nick, however, Vaughn isn't ready to take all the snaps. Both have to play, but Vaughn needs to Lion's share of the snaps.

6. Studstill and Elliot need to continue to rotate at FS. Studstill can still get the majority of snaps, but can't play all night. Elliot's development over the course of the season is important, both for this year and next.

7. Tranquil and Sebastien need to be in a 50/50 rotation at SS. Both can play, but wear down and get over-exposed over the course of a 70-90 play game. Split their snaps and get the most out of what they have to offer.

8. Cole Luke needs a break too. Julian Love has been one of my favourite players on the defense this season, because he works, competes and when he gets beat, he does so while giving great effort. Get him 20% of Luke's snaps at corner, while continuing to let him grow as your nickel.

I want to see all 25 of those guys playing this week, and each week. Obviously substitution patterns will differ each week, based on the tempo of the opponent, the style of offense, and injuries that will inevitably occur, but those guys all need to play... If there is growth in a particular player, then give them incrementally more each week, to see what they can handle.

An 8-4 season with an upset over USC or Stanford is still a possibility. The team needs to galvanize itself. The offensive players need to say "we got your backs, do what you can do" to their brothers on defense. Brian Kelly, Greg Hudson and the ND defensive staff need to start loving their defensive players. Work them harder than they've been worked relative to physicality in practice, but scrap all the the BS zone-blitzes, with DL dropping into coverage. Scrap the 5 or 6 personnel packages that limit substitutions and work with your base 4-3 and your nickel. Be aggressive with your front 7 and passive with your backend. Understand the limitations of the entire group and the individuals within it. Don't ask guys to do things outside of their ability.

This is not an incredibly talented group of ND defenders, but they have far more talent than many groups around the country that put up far better numbers. Start coaching them like that. Start preparing each week to limit points and Kizer and the offense a chance to win you games. Cause some turnovers and limit teams to some field goals. Play with energy. Isaac Rochell, James Onwualu and Cole Luke will be earning NFL money next year. My guess is that Morgan, Coney, Vaughn and Studstill will someday as well. Others, we'll have to wait-and-see. This defense has a enough talent, if coached correctly, simplified and infused with energy, to keep ND in the rest of its game.

Time to rally boys. The season is a write off in terms of high end bowl aspirations, but with a really young group, reinforcements are on the way in terms of a quality defensive recruiting class (that hopefully stays together) and a new coordinator will be put in place next year to bring promise... Finish this season on a high note, return 7-8 starters next season and 12-15 players with significant playing time and fix this.
How do you think they will try to shut down Syracuse's incredibly talented WR....?
171 YPG....

As usual, IIO provides thoughtful informed input. Agree with much of what you posted, but prefer to see Rochelle at DT 100% of his snaps, while Jay Hayes and Kareem get the lion share of his DE snaps. I want to see Bonner get spot duty at both DE and DT.

As for WDE, I want to see D. Hayes start and get half the snaps, and Okwara and Trumbetti splitting the other half.

As for OLB, I hope like hell we see Bilal for nearly half the snaps between two of the three positions, as you suggest.

All this reference to players changing postions and some playing a lot more time and some a lot less, etc... begs the obvious question, what took Kelly so long?

I think Tillery has been our best DL thus far, so don't buy into the notion of moving him to offense.

if it does, it will happen in the off season. If ND whiffs on the OT targets then it makes the move the best move.

JT may be on defense but he is clearly on the wrong sideof the ball. He got there because defensive recruiting was abysmal.

Of course the posters who are always wrong will say I am wrong, so - figure it out!

More like message board blather! Who would he replace? Not having played the position since High School puts him at a distinct disadvantage competitively. If he doesn't have the character and discipline to play Defense what makes you think he could play Offense? IIO i'll see you at T.D.Place Saturday Go GeeGees!

Very excited for the Gael. I was the recruiting coordinator for a couple years under Coach B and directly recruited about 50 kids on the team, including a good number of the players on the two deep roster. Those guys include...

RB: Donald Shaw (Toronto, ON)
RT: Thomas Rowlands (Ottawa, ON)
WR: Kalem Beaver (Cole Harbour, NS)
WR: Thomas Hoyt (Halifax, NS)
WR: Carter Matheson (Kingston, ON)
RUSH: Jordon Seney (Conquitlam, BC)
LB: Damien Monestier (Toronto, ON)
LB: Jackson Bennett (Ottawa, ON)
CB: Cody Cranston (Winnipeg, MB)
S: Luke Griese (York, ON)
SB: Frednick Eveillard (Gatineau, QC)
FS: Thomas Carrier (Gatineau, QC)

Love those kids. Many of them are like little brothers to me. 4-0 and ranked #6 nationally heading into the Panda Game is exciting for everyone. Have talked to Doc Barresi each week this season. His new DC has got the kids playing inspired football. Same kids as a year ago, save a single DT transfer (Bolton) and FS Thomas Carrier who sat out last year... Enormous difference in results with a new DC, better energy and a new defensive philosophy. Much better fundamentals... Hoping Derek Wendel continues his march towards the record books and the boys bring Pedro back to Sandy Hill, where he belongs.

Enjoy the game. Glad you'll be in town!

Very excited for the Gael. I was the recruiting coordinator for a couple years under Coach B and directly recruited about 50 kids on the team, including a good number of the players on the two deep roster. Those guys include...

RB: Donald Shaw (Toronto, ON)
RT: Thomas Rowlands (Ottawa, ON)
WR: Kalem Beaver (Cole Harbour, NS)
WR: Thomas Hoyt (Halifax, NS)
WR: Carter Matheson (Kingston, ON)
RUSH: Jordon Seney (Conquitlam, BC)
LB: Damien Monestier (Toronto, ON)
LB: Jackson Bennett (Ottawa, ON)
CB: Cody Cranston (Winnipeg, MB)
S: Luke Griese (York, ON)
SB: Frednick Eveillard (Gatineau, QC)
FS: Thomas Carrier (Gatineau, QC)

Love those kids. Many of them are like little brothers to me. 4-0 and ranked #6 nationally heading into the Panda Game is exciting for everyone. Have talked to Doc Barresi each week this season. His new DC has got the kids playing inspired football. Same kids as a year ago, save a single DT transfer (Bolton) and FS Thomas Carrier who sat out last year... Enormous difference in results with a new DC, better energy and a new defensive philosophy. Much better fundamentals... Hoping Derek Wendel continues his march towards the record books and the boys bring Pedro back to Sandy Hill, where he belongs.

Enjoy the game. Glad you'll be in town!
Team speed is the best it has been since Jamie got there. One of your boys will be receiving aid this year from the scholarship I set up about twenty years ago in my Fathers name. I may attend the walk through on Friday or I may just go directly to The Clocktower in the Market to see old teammates. Go GeeGees!

Agree with most of IIO, but I think when Kelly talked about moving players, he needs to have someone else at SS. Drue has been adequate at best this year, avery has been horrible. I think a position change here is needed to help out Drue. It can't be Avery the rest of the year. Also, something needs to be done with Nick Coleman, he can't see the field even on special teams. He's made game changing mistakes in all of our losses and even in our only win.

Speaking of SS, he talked about a short term fix vs Syracuse. Syracuse is going to move fast and throw the crap out of the ball. Having drue and Avery back there and not around LOS could really hurt ND. I hope to see some Studstill and Elliot play together. I get it they're young, but elliot is the only really athletic one back there. Studstill has the best instincts out of the 4, but isn't super athletic. Drue and Avery are just down right slow.

seems that other teams get behind the ND defense with alarming regularity.
The DB with speed are the smallest And I am not sure about their 'football' speed.

seems that other teams get behind the ND defense with alarming regularity.
The DB with speed are the smallest And I am not sure about their 'football' speed.
I think it's been pretty clear that other teams know what plays to run to occupy our safeties and have 1-1 outside. They have been abusing our corners 1-1 on deep balls. It was almost like BVG wanted to make sure the TE 5 yards up the middle was double or triple teamed but left his corners on an island deep.

Team speed is the best it has been since Jamie got there. One of your boys will be receiving aid this year from the scholarship I set up about twenty years ago in my Fathers name. I may attend the walk through on Friday or I may just go directly to The Clocktower in the Market to see old teammates. Go GeeGees!

Great to hear Gael. It's Awesome that you give back to the program. I know the relative financial situation of the families of each of the guys I mentioned, as well as the academic portfolio of each. I can guarantee you that your money is being well used and is much appreciated. There isn't a bad kid in that group, and there are some excellent football players. Like you, I give back any way I can. Jamie, Ken Guarisco, the Ring family, among many others have done an excellent job in reaching out to Almuni and that continues to grow. I've personally sunk thousands of dollars into recruiting those kids, helping pay for visits, even hosting kids at my place when necessary. An initiative I'm working on now is setting up a fund to help kids in the program get financial help for long plane rides home at Christmas. Last year we had 4 or 5 kids that went to their teammates houses for Christmas, because of how damn expensive it is to fly coast-to-coast in Canada, especially during the holidays. I'm hoping by next year at this time to work along with our Almuni and a grant program through the military, to raise a sustainable amount of money (in which I'm willing to make a $5,000 initial donation, followed by a $2,500 annual, renewable donation) to ensure that each kid in our program has the financial means to make it home to their family at Christmas. If we can get 4-5 donors willing to do the same, and the military is willing to make a contribution through its scholarship foundation, it would go a long way.

As for team speed, I couldn't agree more with you. Jamie's mandate to me when I started was that we needed to increase team speed exponentially. When he got there, we had 3 kids that ran better than 4.6 and 2 of them were 4th and 5th year guys, ready to move on... We set out to get faster and we did. Of the the current 24 starters, here are th kids that Steve Watts and I recruited.

Kalem Beaver: 4.41
Carter Matheson: 4.49
Thomas Hoyte: 4.55
Jackson Bennett: 4.57
Luke French: 4.58
Marc Ellie Jace: 4.58
Jamie Harry: 4.59

So in two years we took that number from 3, to 7 and all the players I listed are in their 2nd or 1st year of eligibility and are in 2-deep this week heading to Panda. There are also a ton of other kids, such as Bryce Viera, the Cranston Brothers, the Shaw Brothers, etc, etc, that run just a hair above 4.6... So you are very right, the overall team speed is much better. As is the size and depth on the defensive line. The offensive line is still a work in process. Ottawa had two key pieces of that line, including All OUA freshman, 6'4, 310lb right tackle Cole Beacock, take the year off for personal reasons. Expect them to continue to improve under Carl.

Hope you have fun reuniting with teammates over at Clocktower. Should be a good party. It looks like the game could be darn close to sold out come saturday. I've heard 20,000 is a reasonable expectation if we get good wearher.

stats are not stats of "football speed"; otherwise you would just recruit track guys.
how fast are running when there is'mean intent' or to react to direction change?
Straight ahead speed is almost never a telling factor.

stats are not stats of "football speed"; otherwise you would just recruit track guys.
how fast are running when there is'mean intent' or to react to direction change?
Straight ahead speed is almost never a telling factor.

Completely different game up here, specifically on offense. When I have more time I'll explain it in greater detail. You're generally correct, however, a guy like Will Fuller proves that being straight line fast can be a deadly weapon in a vertical passing offense. Of those 7 guys I listed, 5 of them were recruited as wide receivers or slotbacks (one has since moved to CB) in our offense.

Completely different game up here, specifically on offense. When I have more time I'll explain it in greater detail. You're generally correct, however, a guy like Will Fuller proves that being straight line fast can be a deadly weapon in a vertical passing offense. Of those 7 guys I listed, 5 of them were recruited as wide receivers or slotbacks (one has since moved to CB) in our offense.
Is Carrier the Stud DB who had the major collision last year that put him and the other guy out? Single digit number, looks like a CFL shoe in? Difference maker for sure. The oline looks a little raw and vertically challenged in spots. I think they may come around, they play with enthusiasm! Viera is a slippery little back.

I would like to see Chase Claypool work out at safety. He's been one of those players that jumps off the field to me as a great athlete. Still raw, but I'd love to see him pick up the safety position.

Is Carrier the Stud DB who had the major collision last year that put him and the other guy out? Single digit number, looks like a CFL shoe in? Difference maker for sure. The oline looks a little raw and vertically challenged in spots. I think they may come around, they play with enthusiasm! Viera is a slippery little back.

Jackson Bennett iswho you are thinking of. He had 3rd degree shoulder last year in the exhibition game against Montreal and the surgery cost his his season.

Jackson is an East end Ottawa kid and was an outstanding high school running back. It was an absolute war to keep him from going to Carleton. We moved him to free safety as a 6'0, 205lb freshman, so he and Viera dodn't have to take carries from each other and so we could get our best athletes on the field. He was all OUA as a freshman and had an awesome rookie campaign. This off season, Ottawa had a need at the ever important SAM backer position and coming off his shoulder injury, Bennett worked his ass off in the weight room and bulked up to 215lbs and he's absolutely shreded. Like 6.5% bodyfat and 25+ reps on the bench press, running mid 4.5's... You'll see him out there playing SAM and wearing #5. The player that allowed him to make the move to SAM, is Thomas Carrier. We recruited him out of Outouais CEGEP in Gatineau a year ago, but he gad to focus on academics as a freshman, so we sat him last year. This year he's starting a FS and playing well. In fact, the entire secondary has been good. Ty Cranston has been outstanding as a senior, his brother Cody, is a solid field corner, and Jamie Harry and Marc Ellie-Jace are very good athletes back there too. Much faster, more aggressive group and they love playing for the new DCho came from the Allouettes in the CFL.

I would like to see Chase Claypool work out at safety. He's been one of those players that jumps off the field to me as a great athlete. Still raw, but I'd love to see him pick up the safety position.

Don't neccessarily disagree with you, but safety is a position thay requires great instincts and the ability to quickly quickly read your keys and decide where you're going. Claypool's competition at the high school level was far weaker than most kids that come to ND and he never actually played free or strong safety for any period of time. It would be alot to ask of him to just go out there and do it.

Claypool isn't a free safety, he's a Wr, TE, lb, or de, depending on size and development. He's an athlete that wants to and physically can play. Teach him please. I like him at Wr, but if he keeps developing physically Anthony barr would be a good comparison.?

Or Larry Fitzgerald. The kid is a specimen a
Claypool isn't a free safety, he's a Wr, TE, lb, or de, depending on size and development. He's an athlete that wants to and physically can play. Teach him please. I like him at Wr, but if he keeps developing physically Anthony barr would be a good comparison.?

Or Larry Fitzgerald. The kid is a specimen at WR and has elite ball skills.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Jackson Bennett iswho you are thinking of. He had 3rd degree shoulder last year in the exhibition game against Montreal and the surgery cost his his season.

Jackson is an East end Ottawa kid and was an outstanding high school running back. It was an absolute war to keep him from going to Carleton. We moved him to free safety as a 6'0, 205lb freshman, so he and Viera dodn't have to take carries from each other and so we could get our best athletes on the field. He was all OUA as a freshman and had an awesome rookie campaign. This off season, Ottawa had a need at the ever important SAM backer position and coming off his shoulder injury, Bennett worked his ass off in the weight room and bulked up to 215lbs and he's absolutely shreded. Like 6.5% bodyfat and 25+ reps on the bench press, running mid 4.5's... You'll see him out there playing SAM and wearing #5. The player that allowed him to make the move to SAM, is Thomas Carrier. We recruited him out of Outouais CEGEP in Gatineau a year ago, but he gad to focus on academics as a freshman, so we sat him last year. This year he's starting a FS and playing well. In fact, the entire secondary has been good. Ty Cranston has been outstanding as a senior, his brother Cody, is a solid field corner, and Jamie Harry and Marc Ellie-Jace are very good athletes back there too. Much faster, more aggressive group and they love playing for the new DCho came from the Allouettes in the CFL.
I had a feeling the new defensive coaches would improve fundamental play and certainly improve recruiting given the demographics of Quebec football.Do CEGEP grads have the five years of CIS eligibility that others do?

I had a feeling the new defensive coaches would improve fundamental play and certainly improve recruiting given the demographics of Quebec football.Do CEGEP grads have the five years of CIS eligibility that others do?

Technically they do, but because of their age when they leave CEGEP, their clock runs out 9 times out of 10 before they are able to use all 5 of their years. It's similar to getting JUCO in the U.S. except in Canada, 22 is the oldest a player may be. He can turn 23 in season, but he must be 22 before the start of the season. If we're lucky we can get a CEGEP kid to leave Quebec after one year and get him at 19, which gets us 4 years with him. Most times, however, we get them after their 2nd year and we only get 3 years with them. The obvious positive to that is that they are 2 years older and more developed than the kids coming directly out of high school.

Hell Jordon Seney, who you'll see rushing off the edge against Carleton and who is one of Ottawa's best special teams players, was 17 the entire season last year (December birthday). When we flew him from Port Coquitlam B.C. two years ago to visit Ottawa, he was a 6'3, 190lb rush end and 16 years old. At that age, he made the decision to study on the other side of the country. He played against guys 5 years older than him last year. He's doing awesome in the classroom in his 2nd year and loves football. On the football field he's up to about 210lbs. Still skinny, but an excellent 2nd down pass rushing specialist. He has a big frame and as it continues to fill out, he's only going to get better. I expect him to pack another 10-12lbs of muscle on each year and to stay all 5 of his years. Can't wait to see the finished product when he's a 6'3, 240lb rush end. Even he stays on track, the CFL will give him a look down the road.

my defense for the rest of the season is that one where they tackle the guy with the ball, can't remember what its called or who invented it, but it usually works pretty well to help limit the opposing teams scoring opportunities. i think other teams often use this defense--and it would certainly work better than this one-hand-touch-anywhere defense we've been playing. i don't know, maybe i'm way off base, i've actually never been a football coach or anything like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT