ADVERTISEMENT

MSU 37-5 the last several seasons

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Dantanio's team has been the best team in the big 10 not OSU for 3+ years now. ND is a 7+ point favorite but MSU has an unheard of 8-3 record as an underdog. If ND can pull off the win they will catapult themselves right back into the thick of the playoff race.

Also, cross your fingers that Texas is a top 5/10 team rest of the season as ND will need it for SoS.

Last edited:
Dantanio's team has been the best team in the big 10 not OSU for 3+ years now. ND is a 7+ point favor but MSU has an unheard of 8-3 record as an underdog vs the spread. ND is going to have their hands full on Saturday -- if ND can win big they will catapult themselves right back into the playoff discussion.
That's a big if.....the only thing keeping ND from spotting mSu 14 points at the first 5 min mark is playing at home.

1at and goal from the 6 going empty set might work against the Nevada's on our schedule but stiffer competition it helps the D by telling them immediately we aren't handing it off.

Kizer can still run a draw keeper ..but that option is always there. Removing the running back completely in those spots is just insanity.

And such is our red zone woes.

We score like hall of famers outside the twenty going in...but red zone..in particularly the 10 yard area is very challenging for us.

Redzone scoring is an overrated stat/highly susceptible to luck. e.g. if a team is bad in the red zone one year they are likely to rebound for no other reason than law of averages/regression to the mean.

My biggest concern at this point heading into the game is whether or not ND can stop the run. If they can MSU has no chance.

Redzone scoring is an overrated stat/highly susceptible to luck. e.g. if a team is bad in the red zone one year they are likely to rebound for no other reason than law of averages/regression to the mean.

My biggest concern at this point heading into the game is whether or not ND can stop the run. If they can MSU has no chance.
Red zone is very important Every year because you can't hope to win 12,13,14 games scoring long touchdowns only.

We as a team aren't redone challenged because possess the material to succeed ...it's BK who so very often complicates it and out coaches himself.

You might only worry about the run and it being a lock to win...

I'm sorry but I'm terrified of our secondary allowing people behind them with ease. We have two games in and both opponents got receivers behind our secondary with such ease.

This will make or break Saturday.

On most under center run plays the quarterback takes the snap from center and retreats to hand the ball off anyway. The frigging exchange point whether you're in shotgun or under center is pretty much the same spot in the backfield, about 4 1/2 yards.

The QB sneak at face value makes no sense. You take your best and most valuable player and have him stick his neck in air with no chance to defend himself? Do you really want to jeopardize your most valuable asset to gain a yard? When you have a roster full of scholarship Running Backs who should be able to get you a yard.

I can hear the old timers now crowing about the QB running out the gun. Well, just like the Single Wing, Veer and Wishbone before, the QB runs out the Gun allow the QB to defend himself, make a move and make big plays. The QB sneak gives a QB the opportunity to gain 6 inches and break his neck, No thanks!!!

On most under center run plays the quarterback takes the snap from center and retreats to hand the ball off anyway. The frigging exchange point whether you're in shotgun or under center is pretty much the same spot in the backfield, about 4 1/2 yards.

The QB sneak at face value makes no sense. You take your best and most valuable player and have him stick his neck in air with no chance to defend himself? Do you really want to jeopardize your most valuable asset to gain a yard? When you have a roster full of scholarship Running Backs who should be able to get you a yard.

I can hear the old timers now crowing about the QB running out the gun. Well, just like the Single Wing, Veer and Wishbone before, the QB runs out the Gun allow the QB to defend himself, make a move and make big plays. The QB sneak gives a QB the opportunity to gain 6 inches and break his neck, No thanks!!!
Not sure who you were directing that at, but my point was empty sets in those areas are ridiculous. Although it's only one play you eliminated from the possibles(looking at it from the defensive side) it's a huge option because will it be a straight dive, zone read, a small flare route...stay in to protect, etc etc etc...removing the back narrows it down to pass, or QB keeper/draw. Then again maybe he doesn't really care about keeping the defense honest.
Empty sets BK loves using seem to always be at the worst possible time.

Outside of the 5 teams they lost to, who have the played? The B1G has been pretty weak recently.

last year they lost to Alabama and Nebraska ... they beat #7 oregon, #12 michigan, #4 iowa, #3 OSU

in 2014 they beat #5 Baylor, and #19 nebraska .. lost to #3 oregon, and #14 OSU (who eventually won the national championship)

Dantanio/MSU resume the last few years is way better than Brian Kelly/Notre dame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND
last year they lost to Alabama and Nebraska ... they beat #7 oregon, #12 michigan, #4 iowa, #3 OSU

in 2014 they beat #5 Baylor, and #19 nebraska .. lost to #3 oregon, and #14 OSU (who eventually won the national championship)

Dantanio/MSU resume the last few years is way better than Brian Kelly/Notre dame.
10-4 on that. And they always seem to be just under the radar. Call it the less prettier team from Michigan...or that conference...who knows. But make no mistake they can play some ball over the last few years.

They win some big games.

Right on both points but ND's been average in the RZ for years. I'm encouraged by the early success though. I liked the option and I liked the middle of the field TD passes to Stepherson and Sanders. For too many seasons, we've seen a heavy dose of fades and rub routes when in the Red Zone. Teams have studied this and ND was in a desperate need of changing its strategy.

Reactions: perseverare
Right on both points but ND's been average in the RZ for years. I'm encouraged by the early success though. I liked the option and I liked the middle of the field TD passes to Stepherson and Sanders. For too many seasons, we've seen a heavy dose of fades and rub routes when in the Red Zone. Teams have studied this and ND was in a desperate need of changing its strategy.

having a QB that can see the middle of the field helps.

Reactions: HRC08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT