ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Practice meeting....

Sep 18, 2016
If I'm Brian Kelly I call everyone to take a knee. I then tell the trainers to toss me one of the new devices they have to monitor "physical activity/stress" that they place on random players to monitor fatigue. I'd then take out a sledge hammer and beat it to pieces right in front of them. Then I'd tell them that we are going to hit and tackle all week, the week after and the weeks following until they can prove they can do it. I'd relieve Brian Van Gorder of his defensive duties and assign him to special teams. I'd put everyone on notice that we are going to go as vanilla as you possibly can on defense and that the only people who are going to play are those who can play fundamentally sound football. No more stunts, shifts, or BS exotic stuff. You beat the person in front of you or I will play someone who can. I'd tell them first that I'm sorry for failing them by allowing the defensive concepts that we played this year but that going forward we are simply going to play football!! Id then tell them dispite our ineptness in scheme, that I'm embarrassed by some of the play that I've seen from them. I'd end it by telling them that the captains awarded preseason are no longer captains but that depending on their performance at practice will determine that each week due to our present circumstances. I'd end the meeting by telling the trainers to order extra ice and fire up the ice baths.

Reactions: mikenavarro
Perse I've read your posts for years now. I was on here as darbonic at one point. Have a ton of respect for you and a few others. Just got back on here because of how fed up I am with BVG. Guys a clown and based on what I saw last night, I'm believing BK is seeing it too. I grew up in Statesboro Ga and I saw how stubborn and asinine BVG was here in his one year. He tried to run a spread offense there when all they had ever known was a triple option. They were always a contender in the 1AA playoffs and this guy came in and said "the triple option is done". Needless to say all of his players were recruited to suit this offense yet he was adamant. Not that he was going to change philosophy as time went on, but that "the triple option was done". It's got to happen now. Put anyone there for the rest of the year who preaches fundamentals. He's got to go.

I agree with a lot of this

- On defense its too late for a huge change in philosophy so make it as simple as possible.
- Practice will focus on fundamentals.
- On both sides of the ball there will be a real emphasis on hitting and toughness. The OL and RB are good but they lack that mean streak just like the defense does.

From what Jack Nolan, Reggie Brooks, and Shane Walton said last Saturday, these guys practice tackling all the time. They should know. They are at the practices. The staff needs to figure out why none of this instruction doesn't translate to the game. I'm sure the broken coverage on 3rd and 8 , late in the MSU game was actually performed flawlessly dozens of times at practice. You wouldn't expect "go to" veterans to break down. Lost in translation is a reoccurring theme with this staff and our lads.

From what Jack Nolan, Reggie Brooks, and Shane Walton said last Saturday, these guys practice tackling all the time. They should know. They are at the practices. The staff needs to figure out why none of this instruction doesn't translate to the game. I'm sure the broken coverage on 3rd and 8 , late in the MSU game was actually performed flawlessly dozens of times at practice. You wouldn't expect "go to" veterans to break down. Lost in translation is a reoccurring theme with this staff and our lads.
Nolan and Brooks work for ND so I highly doubt they are going to be openly critical or the ND staff. Walton lives in San Diego I believe so I doubt he sees too many practices.

Either way it's clear there is a breakdown somewhere because poor tackling has been a problem under BVG from day 1.

Yeah, Jack Nolan is an ND guy and walks softly but Reggie is more critical. He was not shy talking about the OL and the defense on the post game show. He does watch his words and is definitely not critical of the staff or an individual player, but, he will make comments on technique, breakdowns and such. He does it in a less threatening tone. Shane's observation was surely based on watching a practice or two while in town.

Agreed at this point not much you can do.

A few tweeks they could try IMO would be 1. Move Rochelle inside-----he's not a DE. His backup would be the Bonner kid

2. Tillery and Michael Cage would share the NG position-----I can't watch Jaron Jones play anymore.

3. I would start grooming one of young DB's to play safety--------Tranquil and Sebastian are not good enough at the high level . Tranquil next Fall would be a nickel LB.

4. Cole Luke needs to be on notice------you can't play like that. Misjudged a ball early in the game and his whole evening goes to shit-----not acceptable.

Perse I've read your posts for years now. I was on here as darbonic at one point. Have a ton of respect for you and a few others. Just got back on here because of how fed up I am with BVG. Guys a clown and based on what I saw last night, I'm believing BK is seeing it too. I grew up in Statesboro Ga and I saw how stubborn and asinine BVG was here in his one year. He tried to run a spread offense there when all they had ever known was a triple option. They were always a contender in the 1AA playoffs and this guy came in and said "the triple option is done". Needless to say all of his players were recruited to suit this offense yet he was adamant. Not that he was going to change philosophy as time went on, but that "the triple option was done". It's got to happen now. Put anyone there for the rest of the year who preaches fundamentals. He's got to go.

I do remember your ID. w/b

As for BVG, he is a charasmatic exciting guy. He just is not getting the job done. The players deserve the best.
BK: he is his problem. He clearly is not what fans had anticipated. From the 1st game on there were red flags.

If I'm Brian Kelly I call everyone to take a knee. I then tell the trainers to toss me one of the new devices they have to monitor "physical activity/stress" that they place on random players to monitor fatigue. I'd then take out a sledge hammer and beat it to pieces right in front of them. Then I'd tell them that we are going to hit and tackle all week, the week after and the weeks following until they can prove they can do it. I'd relieve Brian Van Gorder of his defensive duties and assign him to special teams. I'd put everyone on notice that we are going to go as vanilla as you possibly can on defense and that the only people who are going to play are those who can play fundamentally sound football. No more stunts, shifts, or BS exotic stuff. You beat the person in front of you or I will play someone who can. I'd tell them first that I'm sorry for failing them by allowing the defensive concepts that we played this year but that going forward we are simply going to play football!! Id then tell them dispite our ineptness in scheme, that I'm embarrassed by some of the play that I've seen from them. I'd end it by telling them that the captains awarded preseason are no longer captains but that depending on their performance at practice will determine that each week due to our present circumstances. I'd end the meeting by telling the trainers to order extra ice and fire up the ice baths.
The only problem i have with this is nowhere do you have BK taking any responsibility or accountability for his performance as well. Its all defense and players.

The only problem i have with this is nowhere do you have BK taking any responsibility or accountability for his performance as well. Its all defense and players.
In his own words Kelly said they have to coach better and it starts with him! What's frustrating is the same problems in the third game as the first. I really hope he
puts all his effort into sorting the problems. They might not be great but could certainly have improved fundamentals.

The third and 8 looked, to me, like a guy who stopped doing his job to jump a route and "be a hero" picking off a seam throw.

To be honest, there is nobody on this schedule that ND cant beat. They could very well be a 10-2 football team. History makes me leery, however, that 6-6 or 7-5 is a more realistic possibility.

BK did take responsibility in his post game presser but it is falling on deaf ears. He has whistled that tune before. He sounded agitated. He sounded like he meant business. He said they need to do a better job coaching. Apparently, the staff were all just screwing around up to that point and they were only putting in 75% into their coaching. BK hired all these guys and he recruited all these kids. No excuses. The players deserve everything thing the staff has to offer and more.

Last edited:
do better? 348 says that every week.

Can we ask the staff to advise us when they have done their best? We have previously thought that since they expect that from their pkayers that they also were giving the same effort.
Thank goodness they were not, and now we can get more from them and things will improve to what we expected.

BTW: all coaches going through this repeat the same mantra.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT