ADVERTISEMENT

Merriweather hits the portal

He gets shit on all year for his performance then dudes cry and whine when he leaves
That’s what I’m saying. People have been predicting this since the Duke game. Tyree was a bit of a surprise but I thought we might lose him to the nfl

He and Chris entering the portal Sucks!!! We will move on, but this is not good - at all.
I honestly don't think losing Tyree hurts that much because of the young guys coming up. And while Meriweather has been largely missing in action, He's one of those guys who you hate to lose because you hope they'll figure it out and become major contributors for a couple of years.

Just not at all concerned about losing Tyree and Merriweather to the portal. Merriweather was already passed over by a freshman and Tyree was losing snaps to a freshman. And competition for snaps next year for each was going to be intense. I am concerned about rumors over a bad receivers room because of Stuckey, and hope Like hell that Freeman is recruiting his remaining receivers to trust him and stay the course. The sooner we hire a really good receivers coach who is also a great recruiter, the sooner the room calms down. James et Al, trust Freeman to get it right!

Reactions: theskibro
In a room constantly battling numbers, all of a sudden it is "no big deal" when 2 guys dip into the portal, and ND will be working on hiring their 3rd WR coach in 4 seasons?

Sounds like MF wasn't able to turn him by letting go of Stuckey. It does sound like he was able to keep Colzie and Thomas from transferring though. That WR room was bad for all of those not recruited by Stuckey.

If it's true, IMHO, it's potentially just another example of kids today simply don't want to compete, don't want to earn it. Pretty much what portal does, another microcosm of the ever shifting society. The equivalent to taking my ball and going home. Sad really.
From the stories I have read regarding the WR room this had nothing to do with competing and everything to do with Stuckey. Very similar treatment and is some cases worse than what Styles complained about

UW probably. I remember watching some video of him giving a tour back in the spring. Dude just didn't seem comfortable at ND.

From the stories I have read regarding the WR room this had nothing to do with competing and everything to do with Stuckey. Very similar treatment and is some cases worse than what Styles complained about
That's not what the said on the on3 Singer and Hyde pod last night, joined by Mike Goolsby

I always find it funny how while a coach is employed criticism isn't acceptable to the Notre Dame fan base but once a coach leaves / gets fired all the boo-birds and hindsight GMs come out and start crapping on the coach and acting like he was a pile of turd all along

Damn, everyone was all over this guy's jock, and he definitely seemed like the most purely talented WR on the roster. And now no one gives a shit whether he goes or stays. He definitely has flashed his ability. I consider it a major loss.

Damn, everyone was all over this guy's jock, and he definitely seemed like the most purely talented WR on the roster. And now no one gives a shit whether he goes or stays. He definitely has flashed his ability. I consider it a major loss.
If he was more consistent I would agree. Something always seemed off with him, his body language, demeanor. Seemed like he was in his head too much. I think there were even reports of Merriweather struggling with the mental aspect of the game. Maybe ND was too much pressure for him. If he was a dude, he should have showed us by now. Rico and Greathouse came in and decided they wanted to be dudes as freshman. Take into consideration that majority of players are overhyped coming out of high school compared to how many actually live up to potential.

If he was more consistent I would agree. Something always seemed off with him, his body language, demeanor. Seemed like he was in his head too much. I think there were even reports of Merriweather struggling with the mental aspect of the game. Maybe ND was too much pressure for him. If he was a dude, he should have showed us by now. Rico and Greathouse came in and decided they wanted to be dudes as freshman. Take into consideration that majority of players are overhyped coming out of high school compared to how many actually live up to potential.
He's only a true sophomore. He's still pretty young, and we're getting a new WR coach, instead of Stuckey who apparently was a mind-fcker to his players. Which may well be why he's leaving. Just to get the hell out of here, if Stuckey was as bad as he is rumored to be.

Anyway, what's done is done....

Now that James has entered the portal, are we allowed to begin to panic?

CB’s to UW
No way in less than one day he is committed to Washington unless it was prearranged. This was planned before he opted for the portal. I wonder how much this cost the Huskies. A definite blatant rules violation.

I'd go get a WR right now. Beaux Collins is in the portal. "Oh Wait that only happens at ND!"

If it's true, IMHO, it's potentially just another example of kids today simply don't want to compete, don't want to earn it. Pretty much what portal does, another microcosm of the ever shifting society. The equivalent to taking my ball and going home. Sad really.
Kids today, how about adults? When Merriweather watches the head coach go straight to the portal for his quick fix why should players stick around? Freeman doesn’t have a record of development and has obvious problems attracting premier OC’s. You don’t think the entire locker room doesn’t know Hartman was promised the job and comes in at multiples of compensation above current roster. If Merriweather has a better opportunity god bless him and good luck. ND has very deep pockets and will continue to buy who we have to but it can’t make anyone feel good about the direction of the program. When we claimed “ we’re different “ in the past there was some validity to it. Not now

I find this very troubling on a number of fronts. First, that it happened at all and second that it was apparently either covered up or only belatedly discovered. It's another self-inflicted wound and makes me doubt the wisdom of hiring Freeman even more.
its worse. Heard some poor in-house behaviors as well

Embarassing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT