ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Zaire and the Virginia game myth.

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Malik Zaire passed 7 for 18 with 1 TD and 0 INT'S. Malik rushed 10 times for 87 yards and it was only half way through the third quarter. He was on his way to 150+. Malik and the whole team were not up for this game but were gaining control in the third quarter--Malik opened the second half with a brilliant 59 yard td pass to Will Fuller to put the Irish up 19 to 12. The next drive Malik led the team down to the Virginia 25 yard line which included a 39 yard run by Malik. The Irish had waked up the echoes and were firing on all cylinders including the defense. Before Malik went down the Irish were ready to go up by two scores and the motivation of the team and the momentum made this game ready for a Notre Dame blowout win ! When Malik went down all the wind came out of the team and the fans sails. CJ Prosise made a big play with a 24 yard td run when Kizer came in but after that Virginia took advantage of Notre Dames shock and scored two straight unanswered touch downs to take the lead. Kizer came through and led the Irish to a great last second victory and deserves great praise for that. Malik was awesome in the Texas game also. I think Kizer will win the first string spot but it will be a close battle. So ends the terrible Virginia game argument for Malik ! It has been debunked ! Malik showed he could win with his arm in the Texas game and win in the Virginia game with his feet !

Malik Zaire passed 7 for 18 with 1 TD and 0 INT'S. Malik rushed 10 times for 87 yards and it was only half way through the third quarter. He was on his way to 150+. Malik and the whole team were not up for this game but were gaining control in the third quarter--Malik opened the second half with a brilliant 59 yard td pass to Will Fuller to put the Irish up 19 to 12. The next drive Malik led the team down to the Virginia 25 yard line which included a 39 yard run by Malik. The Irish had waked up the echoes and were firing on all cylinders including the defense. Before Malik went down the Irish were ready to go up by two scores and the motivation of the team and the momentum made this game ready for a Notre Dame blowout win ! When Malik went down all the wind came out of the team and the fans sails. CJ Prosise made a big play with a 24 yard td run when Kizer came in but after that Virginia took advantage of Notre Dames shock and scored two straight unanswered touch downs to take the lead. Kizer came through and led the Irish to a great last second victory and deserves great praise for that. Malik was awesome in the Texas game also. I think Kizer will win the first string spot but it will be a close battle. So ends the terrible Virginia game argument for Malik ! It has been debunked ! Malik showed he could win with his arm in the Texas game and win in the Virginia game with his feet !
Wow, I thought I was going blind. Thanks for the large print.

ND was driving to go up by 14 before Zaire went down - this was despite two missed FGs by Yoon. I was at the game and the air was stale and the atmosphere was dead in the first quarter. Both teams looked lethargic. Still ND was on its way to a double digit road win.

Zaire going down and subsequent three and outs by the ND, gave Virginia life. The UVA fans around me were talking about how much Kizer starred down the target. They just missed a couple INTs that would have put the game away.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I don't remember faulting either quarterback in that game. My memory was our defense let us down big time.

I recall watching the game and the announcers pointing out how out of sync Malik appeared, and I recall having thoughts similar to what Ara posted. Malik was clearly off his game in terms of passing accuracy, and we're not talking drops by the receivers. He was way off target on multiple throws. But, I also remember Malik seemingly taking over the game with his running, and the momentum was clearly in ND's favor when he went down. I also remember swearing at the TV thinking our season was ruined by yet another injury to a key player. Kizer was less than impressive his first few series, and then his game winning throw was an absolute thing of beauty. I agree with Bodi that Malik was well on his way to leading the team to victory, but Kizer showed at the end that he throws one hell of an accurate long ball, which was evident the rest of the season.

Among the myths being passed around on this board are that Golson and Kizer were Freshmen when called into duty.

Mike London 4-8 last year out coached the rotund dumpling....

We were lucky to escape....

kelly
stinks.

It did appear Malik got things straighten out the two series right before his injury. I'll never forget that last drive of the game by DK. You talk about a big time drive with all the money on the pile! It reminded me of Joe Montana like magic: and like Montana, it pretty well come out of nowhere. It was the springboard for a pretty good season. I also thought the defense played well in the first quarter. Then it was hit (some) and miss (a lot) the rest of the game.

Ask BGI348, I called that Kizer was going to lead us to victory right before that final drive. Everyone was bummed out on this board at the time. Kizer delivered !

It did appear Malik got things straighten out the two series right before his injury. I'll never forget that last drive of the game by DK. You talk about a big time drive with all the money on the pile! It reminded me of Joe Montana like magic: and like Montana, it pretty well come out of nowhere. It was the springboard for a pretty good season. I also thought the defense played well in the first quarter. Then it was hit (some) and miss (a lot) the rest of the game.

Yeah, beating 4-8 virginia equates to Montana's heroics. You really need your head examined.

kelly stinks

Yeah, beating 4-8 virginia equates to Montana's heroics. You really need your head examined.

kelly stinks
If you didn't jump off your couch or chair after DK hit Will Fuller for that win at Virginia You really need your head examined also!!

kelly stinks

If you didn't jump off your couch or chair after DK hit Will Fuller for that win at Virginia You really need your head examined also!!

cgvr is an imposter. His name is Rodney Davidson and he is an Indiana alumn. He hates Notre Dame because they would not accept him. Also Jimmy Clausen stole his girl friend.
This is a pic of him:

Last edited:
It was a terrific moment made possible by the ineptitude of Mr Potato Head.

It may be but I call it like I saw it. It was one of those true ND Football moments. I liked seeing that Va. fan slumped over the wall with a broken heart, and all those Va fans ready to storm the field. In my mind's eye I saw Frank hit Knute's arm and shout, "The magic's still there lad." Priceless.

Doubtful.... Leahy and Rockne would be sick over this pea shooter offense....lack of physically dominating D....and the underachieving hc.....
Your "mind's eye" needs prescription glasses.....

cgvr is an imposter. His name is Brian Davidson and he is an Indiana alumn. He hates Notre Dame because they would not accept him. Also Jimmy Clausen stole his girl friend.
This is a pic of him:

I like that a refrigerator kicked the crap out of you. I wish you had it on film.

I was at the game and thought Malik was what he was and the first game wasn't any indication if he was the man or not.. He's one helluva runner but his passing isn't all world to say the least.

I feel very confident with Kizer behind the wheel. Not so much with Zaire. Jmo

CGVR even if ND had your "dream" coach I think you would still find something to bitch about.! Kelly is a dam good coach, has he made some mistakes yes. All great coaches have made mistakes...you just seem to dwell on them.

Actually his disloyalty, vulgarity, off the rails temperament, stupidity ...other "stuff".... weighs in on top of the below average to average head coaching....

Fluff and Fold.

It was wonderful having maid service for the 3 years before I moved off campus. Dropping my laundry down the laundry chute in Dillon wasn't much of a hassle.... I did have to walk down a hallway. Walking across campus to pick up was a very nice and peaceful stroll. Sometimes a girl or girls from Walsh would join me....

Actually his disloyalty, vulgarity, off the rails temperament, stupidity ...other "stuff".... weighs in on top of the below average to average head coaching....

Most all them are like that including urban Meyer and Nick Sabin. Who whould you like as a coach?

Most all them are like that including urban Meyer and Nick Sabin. Who whould you like as a coach?
Wrong....
For years I have mentioned Dungy, Gruden, others.... now I am a heavy lean towards Tom Clements....

It may be but I call it like I saw it. It was one of those true ND Football moments. I liked seeing that Va. fan slumped over the wall with a broken heart, and all those Va fans ready to storm the field. In my mind's eye I saw Frank hit Knute's arm and shout, "The magic's still there lad." Priceless.
Good things happen around Kizer. He just has that it factor.

Reactions: Mizzo37
Wrong....
For years I have mentioned Dungy, Gruden, others.... now I am a heavy lean towards Tom Clements....
Good things happen around Kizer. He just has that it factor.

I hope Kizer develops this year and gets that "it factor". It being his junior year he very well might but he made some costly turnovers in the Clemson and Stanford games in which we could have won. And the BC and Temple games in which we almost lost. He needs to make that step up this year and develop the killer instinct that great Qbs have. I believe he can.

I hope Kizer develops this year and gets that "it factor". It being his junior year he very well might but he made some costly turnovers in the Clemson and Stanford games in which we could have won. And the BC and Temple games in which we almost lost. He needs to make that step up this year and develop the killer instinct that great Qbs have. I believe he can.
While not perfect he has room for polish...but since we are spit shining we can polish the damn staff too.
Kelly can do a much better job of putting the team in the best possible position to succeed.
That Stanford game Kizer brought them back. He nearly single handily brought them back only to have his own defense not step up. BVG should have received coach of the year for that game.

While not perfect he has room for polish...but since we are spit shining we can polish the damn staff too.
Kelly can do a much better job of putting the team in the best possible position to succeed.
That Stanford game Kizer brought them back. He nearly single handily brought them back only to have his own defense not step up. BVG should have received coach of the year for that game.

I am with you on the defensive coaching. I think injuries definitely hurt the D but BVG and Kelly could have done a better job on adjusting the defense.
tHE OFFENSE

Injuries killed us and to still have the year we had shows how much talent(depth) Coach Kelly is bringing in and how well the team responde4d to adversity.
BVG did not adjust to the injuries in my opinion. I think the defense was looking good in the beginning of the season (at least getting better). I hope the system is in place this season for the defense to finally step up.
Kelly and Denbrock and Sanford had the offense set up for a huge year. He can't make Will Fuller stop dropping so many easy passes or Kizer not throwing it away in the endzone instead of right to a defender. And all the turnovers in the Clemson game.

*** Kizer is a stud. I definitely agree with you and so is Malik.
Kizer was starting as QB for his first year and did a helluva job but made Freshman mistakes. He should step up as a Junior and make the step that Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen did their Junior years. Hopefully !
I am not counting out Malik just yet, though.

Reactions: Irishstuie

Co5fniNWcAAEPqh.jpg
Geekation_ElmoDanceGif2_zps4447c2db.gif

Wrong....

Dungy is done, Gruden is done and Tom Clements has no head coaching experience.
Theirs no way ND is gonna hire Tom. By the way John Gruden uses vulgarity...now let's be realistic who's your head coach you want..

Among the myths being passed around on this board are that Golson and Kizer were Freshmen when called into duty.

Mike London 4-8 last year out coached the rotund dumpling....

We were lucky to escape....

kelly
stinks.
outcoached ? how so ?

he is a fine coach. easily top 15.

Wrong....
right. two guys who would never take the job and another guy who has been passed over numerous times. nice unrealistic list.

Reactions: FLballcoach1
Asking wonder boy how ND got out coached would be like asking me to explain how to land a rocket on Mars. I have no clue how to land a rocket on Mars and that chode does not have the first clue when if comes to the sport of football.

Reactions: echowaker
I am with you on the defensive coaching. I think injuries definitely hurt the D but BVG and Kelly could have done a better job on adjusting the defense.
tHE OFFENSE

Injuries killed us and to still have the year we had shows how much talent(depth) Coach Kelly is bringing in and how well the team responde4d to adversity.
BVG did not adjust to the injuries in my opinion. I think the defense was looking good in the beginning of the season (at least getting better). I hope the system is in place this season for the defense to finally step up.
Kelly and Denbrock and Sanford had the offense set up for a huge year. He can't make Will Fuller stop dropping so many easy passes or Kizer not throwing it away in the endzone instead of right to a defender. And all the turnovers in the Clemson game.

*** Kizer is a stud. I definitely agree with you and so is Malik.
Kizer was starting as QB for his first year and did a helluva job but made Freshman mistakes. He should step up as a Junior and make the step that Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen did their Junior years. Hopefully !
I am not counting out Malik just yet, though.
Right on.
I think Malik is way to talented to be holding a clipboard. The problem is I feel Kizer is just a little better.

Reactions: Irishstuie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT