ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Tidbits on elite offensive Notre Dame recruits

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I'm told that Milton (Ga.) High class of 2024 wide receiver Debron Gatling, a four-star prospect with offers from the likes of Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon and many others, will be visiting Notre Dame for the Georgia Tech game Nov. 20. The only way I see Gatling leaving South Bend without a scholarship offer is if he still has more work to do in the classroom. Interestingly enough, Gatling is teammates with former Irish tight end commit Jack Nickel in the 2022 class. Nickel's break up with Notre Dame wasn't all that pretty, so what effect that plays in the Irish's pursuit of Gatling remains to be seen. I doubt it will play much of a role, though.

*** The Georgia Tech game will shape up to be a pretty big visitor weekend for Notre Dame with it being the last home game of the season. Two huge targets for the Irish in the 2023 class who the staff is working on getting on campus are Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy wide receiver Carnell Tate and Detroit Martin Luther King quarterback Dante Moore.

As time has gone on, I've become less optimistic on Notre Dame's chances with Tate, so getting him on campus would be monstrous. I'm told Tate is considering both Notre Dame and Ohio State for that weekend, so it'll be very interesting to see which place he visits. And I can't emphasize enough how huge, huge, huge it would be if they get Moore back in South Bend. The quarterback board seems to have finally taken shape and is starting to heat up. I believe that Moore is the top, realistic target for Tommy Rees and Co.

*** I am expecting Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne class of 2022 offensive tackle Aamil Wagner to choose between Kentucky and Penn State on Thursday with the outcome likely being that he picks the Wildcats. Notre Dame's strong start to its offensive line class in 2022 hasn't gone exactly as planned down the stretch. We'll see what else is out there if it comes to it, but it feels like landing Fond du Lac (Wis.) St. Mary's Springs guard Billy Schrauth is a bit of a make-or-break situation for how this O-line class is viewed.

Some sources I've spoken to remain optimistic that Notre Dame lands Schruath but at this point, who knows what he'll end up doing. I doubt Schrauth makes a decision until after his school's playoff run.

*** It's a long shot that Notre Dame will be able to ultimately land Allen (Texas) High class of 2023 five-star defensive end David Hicks Jr., but he did visit campus over the summer and placed Notre Dame in his top 11 schools group along with Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, LSU, Texas, Clemson, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't stay in state or play for an SEC power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News