ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: P5 Assistant Sounds Off On Irish DB Targets

EJ Holland

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Apr 25, 2019
Here are tonight's charms...

*** I checked in with an anonymous Power Five assistant to get his thoughts on two of the top defensive backs in the 2021 class. Let’s go ahead and start off with elite Princess Anne (Va.) corner Tony Grimes. This is what the assistant had to say about the four-star prospect: “I like Tony as a corner or safety. He’s just a defensive back. Tony could be a Thorpe Award winner.”

*** So where does Notre Dame stand with Grimes? Well, Grimes is getting ready to narrow his list down soon. The Irish made his original cut, and Grimes is still intrigued by the program’s tradition and academic opportunities. Grimes visited several schools this summer, but Notre Dame was not one of them, which brings into question just how legitimate his interest is. However, his father told me that they are still looking to make the trip to South Bend soon.

*** The next guy I spoke to the assistant about was Pinson Valley (Ala.) product Ga’Quincy McKinstry, who is ranked as the nation’s No. 1 athlete in the 2021 recruiting class. Here is what he had to say about the four-star recruit: “I think he’s a corner at the next level. He’s a dynamic guy that dominates on special teams, return guy, etc.”

*** Like with Grimes, Notre Dame is an intriguing option for McKinstry. He has talked about visiting South Bend but has yet to make it out. Right now, McKinstry is taking the process extremely slow, and it doesn’t appear that he has any clear-cut favorites. But he is going to be an extremely tough pull out of the Southeast. Alabama, Auburn and Clemson are all in good spots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News