ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Brian Kelly Checking In On Elite Targets

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I reported yesterday that Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly was at Rivals100 safety Derrick Davis' high school, and I was told that he also made it down to West Virginia Wednesday to see big offensive tackle target Wyatt Milum at Huntington (W. Va.) Spring Valley. The Irish have been recruiting Milum hard ever since the Irish offered him last spring, and he returned to campus in November. I'm also hearing that Milum is discussing a June official visit with the Notre Dame coaching staff, and I can confirm that he will be on campus March 21 for an unofficial. Milum also really likes Penn State, and West Virginia is a big factor here as well.

*** Kelly made stops in at couple more big time offensive line targets' high schools today. This morning he was at Olney (Md.) Good Counsel, where the Irish signed Sam Mustipher and Cam Hart from (and I'm sure many others over the years). Notre Dame is working on offensive tackle Landon Tengwall, who has the Irish in his top three with Michigan and Penn State. Everyone I talk to believes it's really down to Notre Dame and Penn State, even though Tengwall visited Michigan in the fall and he hasn't been to Notre Dame since last March.

*** Tengwall has indicated that he's visiting Notre Dame March 21 and April 3, but a source close to him tells me that those visits are not set in stone just yet. Don't get me wrong -- they very may well both happen. But don't be surprised if one doesn't happen. The plans are being worked on by the Tengwall family.

*** A source tells me that Kelly also stopped in at Baltimore (Md.) Mount St. Joseph to check in on wide receiver Dont'e Thornton Jr., the nation's No. 51 prospect. The 6-4, 185-pounder added Notre Dame to his offer list in the fall, and Kelly visiting Thornton's school just shows how much the Irish like him.

*** Kelly also visited the high school of Nolan Rucci, the No. 30 overall prospect and No. 5 offensive tackle in the nation. As I've said is likely for a while now, Rucci is planning to visit Notre Dame for the weekend of March 21. Penn State is probably the team to beat here, but Notre Dame can't be counted out.

*** Notre Dame recruiting coordinator Brian Polian has been in Texas this week and extended an offer to 2022 athlete Cristian Driver, the son of former Green Bay Packers wide receiver Donald Driver. Here's what Driver had to say about Notre Dame during an interview with BGI back in August:

"I want to go visit them. I love their jerseys; they're awesome. They have all different color jerseys and those are awesome. Notre Dame could be a good place for me and would be eye-opening. I would love to go visit and get to know the coaches better.

"The academic side is big and getting your degree from there would be great. Football is not forever and you have to have a plan for after."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News