ADVERTISEMENT

LSU

And Marshall is not good. Notre Dame lost to lousy Marshall at home, and you're asking if LSU has played a team with better talent yet? Questioning Brian Kelly's "true colors."

What is your point?
My point he has had better talent than every team they’ve played, should be undefeated but no. Point is, they haven’t played anybody yet, will hold judgement. And what in gods name does Marshall/ND have to do with anything? Was your intent to compare BK/Freeman or we just talking LSU/BK? Let me know, and I’ll add commentary on NDs situation

Reactions: BGI User 756
Where Kelly failed was closing the gap coaching and especially talent wise between ND and the top few teams. He got nd to a very good spot with very good culture. Freeman was immediately supposed to start closing the gap talent rise and grow into a great coach. No one realized how far away he was coaching wise and that’s probably impacting his recruiting. Keeping Bowen landing love lyons and getting CJ to reclassify And then finding a high potential Wde would be huge. I personally think it will take 9-3 at worst to do that.
So you concluded this about MF in 4 games? Damn, thats impressive. Again any idea just how stupid your posts are? Shouldn't you be done embarrassing yourself?

Don’t agree with this at all. LSU’s roster was decimated and BK had very little time to pull in recruits and transfers. Between departures, gaps and injuries, no way you can say only Alabama has a better roster. He’s doing what was expected of him and they could easily be 5-0 right now.

That said, hard to see them winning more than 50% of this stretch.

If Freeman had recruited the QB Kelly brought in from ASU, ND would be 3-1 at worst. Kelly is top notch at roster management.

Don’t agree with this at all. LSU’s roster was decimated and BK had very little time to pull in recruits and transfers. Between departures, gaps and injuries, no way you can say only Alabama has a better roster. He’s doing what was expected of him and they could easily be 5-0 right now.

They're ranked 8th

It's updated as of 9/28/22. It accounts for departures and transfers.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Few in this board said Kelly was a bad coach, he’s just not an elite coach. He’s a great organizer. His teams are notorious slow starters, and let bad teams remain in games all too often where you are then a mistake or bad break away from losing, which unfortunately we saw from time to time. No one wins every game they should and Kelly wins more than most. Where Kelly falls woefully short is under the bright lights vs the top teams and coaches where he not just loses every time but gets woefully embarrassed. Until he beats a top team in the biggest moment his story won’t change.
This post could and should be the last word on Kelly's time at ND..

For the posters you describe, Kelly's MAJOR SIN, as I see it, was simply not delivering a FANTASY OUTCOME.

ND is not STRUCTURED to win NC's. Its academic mission is PROHIBITIVE of that being anything but an EXTREME OUTSIDE POSSIBILITY. But that's simply UNACCEPTABLE to many here and results in a lot of what you call "HATING," but what I see simply as UNACKNOWLEDGED COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.

Many here don't wish to EMPLOY LOGIC or REASON. They wish to BELIEVE. In which case, whoever doesn't believe is, BY DEFINITION, a HERETIC. And DOGMA has it that Kelly FAILED in that there was no NC. So, to support Kelly is HERETICAL.

Should Freeman fail, HE, TOO, will be BURNED AT THE STAKE for not delivering a FANTASY OUTCOME. People want their HAPPY ENDINGS, regardless of whether or not the PHYSICS and CHEMISTRY warrant them.

Quite a TANTRUM when you think about it.
ND is structured to be a tier above Stanford 2009-2015

I guess so. That does seem to be something kind of unique to ND fans, and the term 'delusional' is not really hyperbole. And it does seem to F with their heads. All CFB fans are delusional or know-it-alls to varying degrees, but with ND fans it does seem to be on a different level.

Anyway, BK seems to be off to a decent start at LSU. They have talent on the roster, but it's kind of a patchwork, and it's not what it will be in two or three seasons. If they went 8-4 this year that would be a great debut season. And they're already 2-0 in the ultra tough SEC west....
Kelly has his work cut out for him, but they do appear to be playing hard for him. Watching the game, I got a kick out of him yelling at his defense near the game's finish. I couldn't hear what he was saying, but reading his lips, it looked like two rounds of "DO YOUR JOB!" And they did.

But he's also been pretty honest with the LSU fanbase, telling them last week that there would be both GOOD and BAD Saturdays over the balance of the season. And given he still has to play Tennessee, Arkansas, Bama, Florida, Ole Miss and A&M, THAT'S JUST A FACT.

If he goes 3-3 against that slate plus beats UAB, there's your 8-4. But it's by no means, GUARANTEED.

I wonder how MF and ND would do against that schedule?

Reactions: notredamerises23
Great POINTS. Your constant EMPHASIS on tons of WORDS has no impact at ALL on how people perceive you. And we DEFINITLEY take you so much more SERIOUSLY with how much you do it.

TRUST me on this.
GREAT.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

ND is structured to be a tier above Stanford 2009-2015
I take your point, but, on the one hand, it may be a little generous.

From 09 to 15, Stanford had a W-L percentage of 78.7%. That's HOLTZ TERRITORY over his entire career. Even if you take Stanford up to 18, where they went an additional 28-12, they still come in at 76.1 %. Whereas, Kelly over his entire ND career, logged in at only 73.9%.

On the other hand, over his last five years, Kelly won at an 84.4 % clip which would clearly rate as a tier above Stanford 09 to 15, i.e. clinching your point.

Question is, is ND more likely structured to SUSTAIN 84.4% or 73.9%. My GUESS -- and that's all it is -- is that it's more likely -- ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL -- to pull something, BEST CASE, closer to 75% to 77% which would be ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME as Stanford 09 to 15 and/or 18.

But then, YOUR GUESS is as GOOD AS MINE.

Kelly did a very good job. We beat who were were supposed to beat. But man we took some whoopings on the big stage. It almost became expected. But I was sorry to see him go, because 10 win seasons are impressive and not easy to come by.
only the last 5 seasons. It's funny how the BK proponents only look at his last 5 years of a 12 year tenure.
How quickly they forget the losses to Navy, Tulsa, USF, etc. The 4-8 season in year 7. I prefer to look at the overall body of work. Was he a bad coach, no. Was he great, far from it. He was above average.

Yeah, that's complete bullshit. This board, and all ND boards went outright hate-figure level psycho on BK. It climaxed into an absolute wild e-lynching explosion when he actually left, but had steadily been building up to that in spite of his career-long unequivocal success, and of course the remarkable recent run that led into this madness, which of course made the whole episode all the more horrifying and almost inexplicable.

Any talk or fussing about whether he's a great coach or merely a good coach or a terrible coach or anywhere in between is totally immaterial, as his record and reputation was already completely established and unimpeachable. But that did not stop the haters from seizing and feasting upon whatever perceived shortcoming they thought they had identified and could rationalize, and pursuing it with the ferocity of a snared animal in the wild eating his own limb off....

The only 'narrative' about BK that paints him as some sort of underachiever, was created by deeply pathological ND fans. Otherwise everyone else would merely think of him as a great coach, and if anything a bit of an overachiever in even getting ND into the playoffs in the first place.....
BK is NOT a great coach. Hes a good(above average) coach. Great coaches win big games and unfortunately he won very few of those while at ND.

you don’t need to be a great HC to win at LSU! example: last 2 NC’s they have won. LSU does not even need to recruit, great talent just knocks on their door! But, BK will mess it up! Twerk on it!

BK is NOT a great coach. Hes a good(above average) coach. Great coaches win big games and unfortunately he won very few of those while at ND.
You couldnt be more wrong , were you around for Ty , Charlie and Gerry and for that matter Bob ?

I watched every single play of LSU at Auburn. And you are correct, Brian Kelly is a damn good organizer. His kids never folded down 17-0 on the road in a tough environment, and all I have ever main tained is that Notre Dame is fortunate to have had his organization for 12 seasons.
Jesus! ND folded A LOT under BK- Bama twice, Clemson twice, Miami, USC. I guess Id be remiss if I didn’t add Navy, UConn, Tulsa, USF, NC St, Duke.

Last edited:
you don’t need to be a great HC to win at LSU! example: last 2 NC’s they have won. LSU does not even need to recruit, great talent just knocks on their door! But, BK will mess it up! Twerk on it!
nm

Last edited:
Jesus! ND folded A LOT under BK- Bama twice, Clemson twice, Miami, USC. I guess Id be remiss if I didn’t add Navy, UConn, Tulsa, USF, NC St, Duke.

The last 5 or so years under CBK showed marked improvement. I grudgingly conceded he had evolved. He became an excellent program manager, organizer, and hired good coaches to do less game day coaching. He intervened less but more appropriately in games, adjusting well more often than not.

I agree in big games ND sometimes choked. I don't think CBK had the charisma for deep inspiration. But there were games where ND didn't choke, like in the playoffs. Where the Irish simply were facing better players, where no coach would have been the margin of difference.

I believe CBK hit the ceiling at ND, getting the program to about what it could consistently do. As we keep discussing on other threads, ND just doesn't do what it takes to be elite. I think CBK knew this and moved on after so many year getting ND back to respect.

It remains to be seen if he can win a NC at LSU. And if Freeman can match CBK, which clearly isn't easy. This season is still long and a lot remains to be proven.

Reactions: 4-4-3
The only place BK effed up at ND, and it really wasn't his fault, was when Golson was kicked off the team, which still to me is a bit of a tragic thing that I'll never forgive ND entirely for. If not for that we probably would have had a ten year run, and not just a five year run, building upon our MNC game appearance of 2012. But he definitely did F up the QB controversy thing very badly with Kizer/Zaire. As much as I love BK unconditionally, and would run through a wall for him, I wish I could have pleaded with him not to go down that road. We all have our imperfections, and that's BK's. But it did lead into, as fate does, and adversity drives you, into our great five year run of right up until today....

I think he struck out at QB with recruiting, and that's his defining shortcoming, if you're really trying to keep score, and knock him for something tangible. Not that we didn't get elite recruits at the position, but we didn't get enough of the right ones, I suppose.... But there's something beautiful, IMO at least, a beautiful irony or something like that, that the QB that finally lifted his program to the top at ND was the only real afterthought he recruited at the position, the only throwaway scholarship, that of course being the great Ian Book. So the football gods giveth and taketh away, as they always do, and naturally as a good ND fan I truly cherish the Ian Book years, so I guess I really wouldn't want it too much different....

So his time at ND was flawed, but he achieved his mission of getting ND back to the mountain top, even in spite of all the awful hater fans who didn't deserve it.

The only place BK effed up at ND, and it really wasn't his fault, was when Golson was kicked off the team, which still to me is a bit of a tragic thing that I'll never forgive ND entirely for. If not for that we probably would have had a ten year run, and not just a five year run, building upon our MNC game appearance of 2012. But he definitely did F up the QB controversy thing very badly with Kizer/Zaire. As much as I love BK unconditionally, and would run through a wall for him, I wish I could have pleaded with him not to go down that road. We all have our imperfections, and that's BK's. But it did lead into, as fate does, and adversity drives you, into our great five year run of right up until today....

I think he struck out at QB with recruiting, and that's his defining shortcoming, if you're really trying to keep score, and knock him for something tangible. Not that we didn't get elite recruits at the position, but we didn't get enough of the right ones, I suppose.... But there's something beautiful, IMO at least, a beautiful irony or something like that, that the QB that finally lifted his program to the top at ND was the only real afterthought he recruited at the position, the only throwaway scholarship, that of course being the great Ian Book. So the football gods giveth and taketh away, as they always do, and naturally as a good ND fan I truly cherish the Ian Book years, so I guess I really wouldn't want it too much different....

So his time at ND was flawed, but he achieved his mission of getting ND back to the mountain top, even in spite of all the awful hater fans who didn't deserve it.
Excuse me while I gag. Are you BK's son or daddy?

I mean, Kelly did get us in the top 10. But I had friends, non fans who were very angry when we got in the playoff last time because they knew we would be blown out and felt we didn't deserve it. Our bowl record was pretty woeful. I do think he was a very good regular season coach.

BK was an arrogant douche bag of a coach. He threw his players under the bus numerous times and never and I mean NEVER took responsibility when the team did poorly. Im glad this clown is gone, good riddance!

Reactions: francade and d1042
The last 5 or so years under CBK showed marked improvement. I grudgingly conceded he had evolved. He became an excellent program manager, organizer, and hired good coaches to do less game day coaching. He intervened less but more appropriately in games, adjusting well more often than not.

I agree in big games ND sometimes choked. I don't think CBK had the charisma for deep inspiration. But there were games where ND didn't choke, like in the playoffs. Where the Irish simply were facing better players, where no coach would have been the margin of difference.

I believe CBK hit the ceiling at ND, getting the program to about what it could consistently do. As we keep discussing on other threads, ND just doesn't do what it takes to be elite. I think CBK knew this and moved on after so many year getting ND back to respect.

It remains to be seen if he can win a NC at LSU. And if Freeman can match CBK, which clearly isn't easy. This season is still long and a lot remains to be proven.
Well put.

BK was an arrogant douche bag of a coach. He threw his players under the bus numerous times and never and I mean NEVER took responsibility when the team did poorly. Im glad this clown is gone, good riddance!
I don’t think that is necessary true. He seemed to that responsibility for the 2016 season and made some necessary changes which led to a successful 5 year run.
I still think BK is a dickhead and hope he fails at LSU.

Reactions: Chitown11
I don’t think that is necessary true. He seemed to that responsibility for the 2016 season and made some necessary changes which led to a successful 5 year run.
I still think BK is a dickhead and hope he fails at LSU.
Jack made or forced the changes....

“Watching the game, I got a kick out of him yelling at his defense near the game's finish. I couldn't hear what he was saying, but reading his lips, it looked like two rounds of "DO YOUR JOB!" And they did.”

🤮🤮the lsu site is called tigerdetails. It’d be great if the serial bloviator would slobber all over Kelly over there instead of here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT