ADVERTISEMENT

Leonard’s Shoulder Injury

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
OK, now being reported that Leonard damaged his left shoulder labrum. I’m sure we all can remember the play in the first qtr where he was thrown down such that he landed on his left shoulder and got up wincing. It’s not his throwing shoulder and he reportedly had a shot into that joint during the game? This clearly explains why he was no longer part of the running game after his first TD drive success. Take away his running, and you have an average Passer, at best.

I’ve had multiple shoulder labrum tears, and they hurt like hell with certain movements, and the pain shuts down your involved muscle. If this was to Leonard’s throwing shoulder, we would then have an obvious answer for his poor and weak throws. But this is to his non throwing shoulder. I said in an earlier post that his weak throw that led to his second interception which gave them the game, was inexplicable because it was ten to fifteen yards under thrown. Perhaps the left should injury explains the inexplicable!

Take away Leonardo’s running ability and threat, and our entire offensive game plan changes, and defenses once again will stack the box to stop the run. This is a critical week for Freeman and Denbrock to decide which qb gives us the best chance to win, irrespective of post college career implications.

If he can’t run and take hits then he should not play over Angeli. That’s the only advantage he has at this point.

Reactions: Chitown11
OK, now being reported that Leonard damaged his left shoulder labrum. I’m sure we all can remember the play in the first qtr where he was thrown down such that he landed on his left shoulder and got up wincing. It’s not his throwing shoulder and he reportedly had a shot into that joint during the game? This clearly explains why he was no longer part of the running game after his first TD drive success. Take away his running, and you have an average Passer, at best.

I’ve had multiple shoulder labrum tears, and they hurt like hell with certain movements, and the pain shuts down your involved muscle. If this was to Leonard’s throwing shoulder, we would then have an obvious answer for his poor and weak throws. But this is to his non throwing shoulder. I said in an earlier post that his weak throw that led to his second interception which gave them the game, was inexplicable because it was ten to fifteen yards under thrown. Perhaps the left should injury explains the inexplicable!

Take away Leonardo’s running ability and threat, and our entire offensive game plan changes, and defenses once again will stack the box to stop the run. This is a critical week for Freeman and Denbrock to decide which qb gives us the best chance to win, irrespective of post college career implications.
The problem is that there is still no excuse... if this injury compromised him so much that he couldn't run or throw with velocity, then he should not have been in the game. Period.

The problem is that there is still no excuse... if this injury compromised him so much that he couldn't run or throw with velocity, then he should not have been in the game. Period.
I read an article, that he was hiding the injury from the staff. I also read that this non throwing shoulder injury doesn't really impact the player. Baker Mayfield played through a season with the same injury.

Also kind of begs the question as to whether, given the injury and seeming limitations, could a replacement have done a better job?
That is the most common question in football. Coaches often stick with a troubled starting QB too long, did you see the 4th qtr of the national championship game for UW?

TelX
We are in a bad way. Freeman was in an enviable position -
Despite losing 3-4 games to inferior opponents and prior to the latest loss to NIU, everyone was behind Freeman and wanted him to succeed
This was going to be the year

Now, That’s gone. The goodwill. The promise of a great year

And the same applies to Leonard. I don’t have any confidence in him. Teams will make him throw and he won’t be able to

We will win this week but imo lose 2 more games this year. This coach bet on another portal qb and it’s not going to work out

Angeli or Carr should get in after Leonard struggles

So if Freeman and Denbrock didn't feel comfortable enough to sub in one of Angeli, Minchey, or Carr after seeing Leonard suffer a signficant injury, can't call run plays and didn't pass well. Then what does that say about the backups? I would hope theyhave the confidence that at least one of them could handle the task of beating NIU. This news isn't making me feel any better.

Reactions: PraiseTheeNotreDame
So if Freeman and Denbrock didn't feel comfortable enough to sub in one of Angeli, Minchey, or Carr after seeing Leonard suffer a signficant injury, can't call run plays and didn't pass well. Then what does that say about the backups? I would hope theyhave the confidence that at least one of them could handle the task of beating NIU. This news isn't making me feel any better.
It usually means the backup is worse.

When I'm wrong I admit it. I predicted Riley would last 4 games before getting hurt. It only took him a game and a half, I stand corrected. Without his running ability, he is a below average QB. His passing is mediocre at best.
You said if he was running he would be out. He was passing when he got hurt. Edit: might have gotten hurt earlier but most seem to think getting spun around and slammed is what got him…that was a passing play.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
The backups are fine. Angeli has proven he can play. I trust him in any situation.

Leonard stayed in because he was "hurt". He wasn't "injured". Leonard could play, so the staff stayed with their QB1. It was a miss, a mistake. But I get and understand the decision.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The backups are fine. Angeli has proven he can play. I trust him in any situation.

Leonard stayed in because he was "hurt". He wasn't "injured". Leonard could play, so the staff stayed with their QB1. It was a miss, a mistake. But I get and understand the decision.
Yeah, that's true. It's not typical to sub a QB out lightly. But we lost. To NIU. And RL is very clearly questionable in his ability to begin with. Raw talent, yes. Rock-solid, reliable ability, not as much. So maybe they should have made a move, in retrospect.

Reactions: PraiseTheeNotreDame

Yes agree, QB's have played with this same injury to the non throwing shoulder, apparently it has no impact on their ability to throw the ball.

Completely irresponsible to keep an injured player like that in the game and trotting them out the next week to play as well. Leonard is also culpable as he is the one ultimately who needs to know his own limitations/abilities but players generally think they can achieve more than they are able to. Blows my mind that the coaches really were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. A QB change after Leonard's injury probably wins that NIU game.

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
When I'm wrong I admit it. I predicted Riley would last 4 games before getting hurt. It only took him a game and a half, I stand corrected. Without his running ability, he is a below average QB. His passing is mediocre at best.
If everything's clicking and he's at his best he's definitely the best QB, and that includes of course running the ball on a regular basis. His passing is not great I guess, but he can hit throws. But he's probably not going to carve up a defense. Any injury to a running QB that limits him isn't ideal at all, obviously. And puts the even more pressure on the passing game, when what he needs is the opposite. So maybe you're right and that's really the big thing with RL. His health.

TelX
Despite losing 3-4 games to inferior opponents and prior to the latest loss to NIU, everyone was behind Freeman and wanted him to succeed

And the same applies to Leonard. I don’t have any confidence in him. Teams will make him throw and he won’t be able to

We will win this week but imo lose 2 more games this year. This coach bet on another portal qb and it’s not going to work out

Hi Ski…lots of cliches come to mind in response, but winning cures everything will suffice. I hated this game on too many levels to count. I don’t think many question whether Freeman was given the reins of a major program like ND prematurely. He wasn’t ready, pure and simple. But, I stated at his hire that he should be judged in year three, and here we are. 1-1 with an excellent road win and a putrid loss where we were physically dominated and outschemed by a very good MAC team.
We have no margin for error now the rest of this season if we hope to make the playoffs. Win out and go 11-1, and last Saturday’s game will still gnaw at us, but it won’t consume us. I seriously doubt this is likely unless we see a rebirth of Sophomore Leonard, or Denbrock and Freeman earn their money and make a change at qb. Frankly, I think the same of Golden, and think Oben needs to come off the bench, at a minimum.
I don’t expect either, and absent a huge offensive explosion and dominating win, you can add my name to yours in lacking confidence. I hope this is a weekly refrain and we find ourselves back in Freeman’s camp as we enter the playoffs, but that looks more and more like fools gold.

I read an article, that he was hiding the injury from the staff. I also read that this non throwing shoulder injury doesn't really impact the player. Baker Mayfield played through a season with the same injury.
If he was hiding the injury, why did he get a shot?

TelX

Agree great post. But it think we lose at purdue with no offense

The Purdue game might be ugly...and not in a good way. This team does not possess any offensive dominance; and the defense was exposed last week. Purdue has nothing to lose and should play with alot of confidence at home. I think they win 24-10 type of score.

Reactions: buckey
You said if he was running he would be out. He was passing when he got hurt. Edit: might have gotten hurt earlier but most seem to think getting spun around and slammed is what got him…that was a passing play.
WGAF how he got hurt. I said he would be hurt( I assumed running however Riley is now Mr. Glass) by game 4, it only took a game and half.

WGAF how he got hurt. I said he would be hurt( I assumed running however Riley is now Mr. Glass) by game 4, it only took a game and half.
That’s fine that you don’t care. You still said ‘if he will be running he will get hurt’ which implies that he’s going to be hurt because run plays were called. He got hurt on a pass play it seems.

Oh so now he’s Mr. Glass? Just because he got his ankle rolled on very badly and he got slammed down by what appeared to be the inside of the shoulder pad? All of those runs and he didn’t get hurt…

It looks like he’s still playing…

That’s fine that you don’t care. You still said ‘if he will be running he will get hurt’ which implies that he’s going to be hurt because run plays were called. He got hurt on a pass play it seems.

Oh so now he’s Mr. Glass? Just because he got his ankle rolled on very badly and he got slammed down by what appeared to be the inside of the shoulder pad? All of those runs and he didn’t get hurt…

It looks like he’s still playing…
Technically Leonard was running out of the pocket away from the defender when he was brought down and came up favoring his left shoulder.

Reactions: Chitown11
Technically Leonard was running out of the pocket away from the defender when he was brought down and came up favoring his left shoulder.
He was running. And I think that’s different from a called run play. The context of the prior conversation was me talking about his value in the QB run game and chitown11 saying he will get hurt if he’s running (in the run game). He was injured on a passing play like he was at Duke.

I think the team finds a way to beat Purdue. If we lose, we are in serious trouble.

We were held to 14 points at home by a MAC team....I think we are already in trouble.
We most likely have a wasted year, like our 3 years of Rees-Probation with Tommy running a passing offense.

Note the fans seem to have bought into the corporate manufactured hype of playoff team. Who cares if a fringe top ten team makes the playoff for the right to get blown out?

He was running. And I think that’s different from a called run play. The context of the prior conversation was me talking about his value in the QB run game and chitown11 saying he will get hurt if he’s running (in the run game). He was injured on a passing play like he was at Duke.
Who cares how he got hurt? He did. Now move on. Your infatuation with Riley is nauseating. He is not a very good QB.....PERIOD

We most likely have a wasted year, like our 3 years of Rees-Probation with Tommy running a passing offense.

Note the fans seem to have bought into the corporate manufactured hype of playoff team. Who cares if a fringe top ten team makes the playoff for the right to get blown out?
I would have been fine with that. 11-1/12-0 hosting a 1st round game in the inaugural expanded playoff. I'd have taken that shit in a heartbeat. That would have been epic.

We had best focus on Purdue. Remember how we did not focus at all on NIU.
Purdue will be focused and confident at home . They smell blood in the water. I think Notre Dame will need to battle mental mistakes early. The natty question is off the table. It is best if the team relax and play hard and smart football. Can't worry about the season.....just the scoreboard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT