ADVERTISEMENT

Lacey transferring

BaldyNd

Irish Expert
Sep 19, 2020
Interesting timing, guess he still wasn’t getting the playing time he wanted? He had a career day vs Cal and I was hoping he was breaking out, always thought he should have been better. Bummer for depth but not a huge loss, we have the grad from Harvard and a good up and comer in Rubio to replace him.

He may have had a career day vs Cal, but played sparingly vs North Carolina --

This is the stuff that really bugs me. The portal. NIL, all of these new introductions with little to no rules/ramifications are poison. Where are we going as a society? This quitting mid season and moving on. What kind of character are we promoting for our future generations? "Hey let's dump 29 players and go in the portal" "hey I'm playing but not enough, I'm going to dump my team and go get mine." I absolutely refuse to have any respect for this guy for doing this. Not finishing the year. It's a quitter and a traitor IMO. One thing to leave end of year. But he's quitting on his team 1/3 of the way in.

This is the stuff that really bugs me. The portal. NIL, all of these new introductions with little to no rules/ramifications are poison. Where are we going as a society? This quitting mid season and moving on. What kind of character are we promoting for our future generations? "Hey let's dump 29 players and go in the portal" "hey I'm playing but not enough, I'm going to dump my team and go get mine." I absolutely refuse to have any respect for this guy for doing this. Not finishing the year. It's a quitter and a traitor IMO. One thing to leave end of year. But he's quitting on his team 1/3 of the way in.
We don’t know all the details but it’s definitely not a good look. Odds are he won’t get anymore playing time elsewhere, which is often the case with our transfers

Reactions: edrod771
He's a ND man, he graduated in May. No respect for him, LOL

Well said, and the NCAA proves what a joke of an organization it is. CFB is swirling down the drain. Hell, calling it college football is almost laughable. Let's call it what it is; the NFL minor league. And it's only gonna get worse

only the 4th sentence has meaning! and worse, we cannot discuss-it.

He's a ND man, he graduated in May. No respect for him, LOL
I said I have no respect for him for doing this. He walked out there in August. That's a commitment. Now he's bailing. He got his ND degree. Whoopee! If that piece of paper suddenly makes one above reproach in all future endeavors than I guess I must be the one with a problem here.

One more thing. What is up with quitting and still being able to redshirt? The guys on the current roster who redshirt are getting beat up on scout team every day while this guy is wandering around getting an ice cream with his girlfriend. The NCAA needs to figure that out. Because from my experience (as an NCAA player and coach) redshirt means you get your ass to practice. You go on scout team and you make your team better but you don't play in any games.

One more thing. What is up with quitting and still being able to redshirt? The guys on the current roster who redshirt are getting beat up on scout team every day while this guy is wandering around getting an ice cream with his girlfriend. The NCAA needs to figure that out. Because from my experience (as an NCAA player and coach) redshirt means you get your ass to practice. You go on scout team and you make your team better but you don't play in any games.
You can thank the NCAA, for putting in the 4-game redshirt rule a few years back.

Reactions: Kelso86
Too bad; fortunately, we do have good depth there. Smith and Rubio should get greater roles now.

You can thank the NCAA, for putting in the 4-game redshirt rule a few years back.
That's fine. That rule implies you finish the year but don't play in more than 4 games. My point is how can you quit and still use it as a redshirt? To me, if you quit. No redshirt. No more scholarship either.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Where are we going?

That destination has already been reached and it's the decay of society.

"Gimme that it's mine"

The first sentence being taught to children.

Interesting timing, guess he still wasn’t getting the playing time he wanted? He had a career day vs Cal and I was hoping he was breaking out, always thought he should have been better. Bummer for depth but not a huge loss, we have the grad from Harvard and a good up and comer in Rubio to replace him.
If he plays one more game he can’t take a redshirt year, assuming he has played up to now.

This is really really really confusing. Only thing is that Rubio was starting to come on more and more and Rubio is ultimately the bigger more athletic body we need, but lacey was playing good football.

I would think this keeps Mills a bit more inside and that worked well vs UNC and has foskey and justin A on the field more together.

That's fine. That rule implies you finish the year but don't play in more than 4 games. My point is how can you quit and still use it as a redshirt? To me, if you quit. No redshirt. No more scholarship either.
Good point.

The kid wants to play in the NFL. He thinks transferring will make that more likely.

Now, if you think schools should have the right to keep players from transferring, then you should support unionization. That would bring collective bargaining and rules for contracts etc.

GettyImages-1236767022-e1655149603460.jpg

The kid wants to play in the NFL. He thinks transferring will make that more likely.

Now, if you think schools should have the right to keep players from transferring, then you should support unionization. That would bring collective bargaining and rules for contracts etc.

GettyImages-1236767022-e1655149603460.jpg
I'd rather they just scrap the 4-game redshirt rule. That way, players would have to make transfer decisions in the offseason, when they should be made.

I'd rather they just scrap the 4-game redshirt rule. That way, players would have to make transfer decisions in the offseason, when they should be made.

Nah. As long as coaches can leave before the end of the season, players should be able to as well.

brian-kelly-p1jpg.jpg

The 4 game rule is a great rule. One of the few the ncaa got right. The younger guys can get real game reps in 4 games without burning a redshirt. Rather than sitting on the sidelines all year. And if you play a game or two and get hurt, you still can use the redshirt. Great rule

Nah. As long as coaches can leave before the end of the season, players should be able to as well.

brian-kelly-p1jpg.jpg
Dumb Ass! It's not the end of the season. Nobody is debating that. It's quitting! Plain and simple. I'm not a fan of coaches leaving before the bowl game either..

This below is the right way to do it. And shows class and respect for your teammates.

"The Bruins have lost another offensive lineman, albeit not one who had been with the team this fall.

Former UCLA football offensive lineman Baraka Beckett has entered the NCAA transfer portal, he announced Wednesday on Twitter. Beckett appeared in one game over the last four seasons and graduated this past year, but was not present at spring camp, fall camp or any practice sessions so far in the 2022 season.

Beckett had already started sharing his highlights and practice tape on Sept. 27, at which point he had already hit the portal, but he made the move public and official Wednesday. He has two years of eligibility remaining."

You don't even have to do that. You just make it a rule that if you redshirt it's only viable if you conclude the season with the team. Or you get a redshirt with intent to transfer. You can sit out without losing a year. But I still feel the scholarship, in that case, should be void. This is like me quitting my job and expecting them to pay me to stay home until I get my next job. I mean is this that hard to rationalize?

Reactions: mbd11
If he plays one more game he can’t take a redshirt year, assuming he has played up to now.
I wish him well, clearly his football career is finished beyond college, so he probably wants to play - finish it on the field!

brian-kelly-p1jpg.jpg
Kelly left both jobs after the regular season ended - which is what many coaches do. That's not exactly the same as leaving 4 games in.

Reactions: NDblitz
The 4 game rule is a great rule. One of the few the ncaa got right. The younger guys can get real game reps in 4 games without burning a redshirt. Rather than sitting on the sidelines all year. And if you play a game or two and get hurt, you still can use the redshirt. Great rule
It's good for the players - not for the teams, though, who take a depth hit mid-season. But basically, players don't have 4 years of playing eligibility anymore. They have 4 1/3.

Question, since he has quit on the team and won’t practice or play in anymore games, is he now kicked out of school since he is/was on scholarship?

It's good for the players - not for the teams, though, who take a depth hit mid-season. But basically, players don't have 4 years of playing eligibility anymore. They have 4 1/3.
It is good for the teams. They're young guys get 4 games experience instead of zero they used to. And if a kid gets injured during this 4 years they didn't lose any eligibility like they used to. It's good for both

It is good for the teams. They're young guys get 4 games experience instead of zero they used to. And if a kid gets injured during this 4 years they didn't lose any eligibility like they used to. It's good for both
I don't know about that. We just lost a good player mid-season. Boise State lost their starting QB this way, 4 games into the season. I recall a star QB for Houston did the same thing a few years back. So while your young players can get more game reps, there can be downsides.

You don't even have to do that. You just make it a rule that if you redshirt it's only viable if you conclude the season with the team. Or you get a redshirt with intent to transfer. You can sit out without losing a year. But I still feel the scholarship, in that case, should be void. This is like me quitting my job and expecting them to pay me to stay home until I get my next job. I mean is this that hard to rationalize?
Maybe players like this should be required to stay with the team, and play on the scout team every week for the rest of the season. At least that way they'd be earning their scholarship.

Reactions: NDblitz
I don't know about that. We just lost a good player mid-season. Boise State lost their starting QB this way, 4 games into the season. I recall a star QB for Houston did the same thing a few years back. So while your young players can get more game reps, there can be downsides.
You recruit over 20 players a years. Maybe 1 to 2 players leave mid year. Sometimes zero. It's definitely worth it.

The portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. Although in ND’s case, there may turn out to be a lot more GIVING than TAKING. Besides, how good a deal is it when at least HALF of your GETS so far are from Northwestern, Harvard and the Naval Academy. Katy, bar the door! There are HUNS here!

But like it or not, this sort of thing is now SOP. And you have to wonder if it might not become even more of A THING than it already is. The more players do it, the more other players may do it. I mean, we ARE talking about young males without fully developed PREFRONTAL CORTEXES.

What it says to me, though, is that MONETIZATION and MARKET VALUES have fully PENETRATED CFB. The ultimate aim of the market model is PERSONAL GAIN. Without their being COUNTERVAILING REGULATION of some kind, all other values are DRIVEN OUT as in Gresham’s Law of debased money.

But here’s the kicker. Once the REWARDS INCENTIVES have been structured in such a way that great gains are IN THEORY achievable – and in some cases, ACTUALLY achievable – what player intent on playing in the NFL is going to pass at a shot at the BRASS RING?

If I can increase my playing time somewhere and therefore improve my draft stock am I not a fool not to try? I fully agree with you that the SPIRIT OF THE GAME has been WHOLLY CORRUPTED, but that’s what happens once money becomes the SOLE DETERMINANT in how people behave.

When they give you a chip, YOU PLAY IT.

And this is just the BEGINNING. What’s already happened was INEVITABLE given the game’s recent TRAJECTORY and may very well be IRREVERSIBLE. There are folks on both the LEFT and the RIGHT who seek greater PLAYER EMPOWERMENT and/or STAKEHOLDER STATUS AND PROTECTIONS.

We’ll see how it plays out. One thing I feel is certain, though. Whatever is decided, NO ONE will be looking to COUGH UP A DIME. And TEAM IS NO LONGER THE THING. It’s instead about the players as self-interested ECONOMIC ENTITIES. And the only destiny they care about is THEIRS.

As they used to say each morning at Salomon Brothers – LET’S MAKE SOME F*****G MONEY!

(No, I didn’t work there, but they WERE a client.)

Kelly left both jobs after the regular season ended - which is what many coaches do. That's not exactly the same as leaving 4 games in.

He left his teams before their seasons were over. When he didn't need to.

Yes, other coaches do that as well; but that doesn't make it okay.

He left his teams before their seasons were over. When he didn't need to.

Yes, other coaches do that as well; but that doesn't make it okay.
Both of these decisions are based on NCAA timing. With the early decision rule coaches need to leave both to help their new team with recruiting and to allow committed kids know they won't be there.

Players leaving now do so to take advantage of the four-game rule. If they play one more down, they lose a year of eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT