ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Rudolph game winning catch vs. Saints

notredamerises23

ND Expert
Sep 3, 2011
Just a one-on-one jump ball, and Rudolph just makes a hands catch and controls his body in the back corner of the end zone.

20 TDS in the red zone over the last four years.

Make ND TE and big WR with big hands U (Claypool, Boykin).

Go, Irish!

Textbook offensive interference but he got away with it. No jump ball at all.

I love Kyle, but I when I saw the replay I thought OPI might get called. Hard to tell whether he pushed off, but he clearly extended his arm to gain separation from the defender. Surprisingly, it didn't even get booth reviewed. I am pretty sure that won't sit well with Saints fans considering what happened to them last year.

That’s okay, Rudolph was interfered with on a no call on a 3rd and long on a. Vikings drive that would have resulted in a first down for the Vikings, instead they had to punt, which led to the Saints TD. So it evened out.

Maybe, but only if you concentrate on Rudolph and not the DB. If the DB is hand-fighting, which he was, and not looking for the ball, which he wasn't, that's textbook defensive pass interference. This was a very good no call. If the DB had actually been looking for the ball it would be a different story.

Here's the video if anyone wants to dissect it.

Reactions: DublinND
That’s okay, Rudolph was interfered with on a no call on a 3rd and long on a. Vikings drive that would have resulted in a first down for the Vikings, instead they had to punt, which led to the Saints TD. So it evened out.
Are you sure it wasn't targeting?....

Both players were hand checking. Kyle did push a little, no question. But the defensive back was also grabbing and didn’t actually look for the ball. I think it was a good “ non call “.

How about the last two dimes that cousins threw? The one to setup the td was dropped in a bucket & thielen made a nice catch (which was more difficult than it looked). What a play in crunch time.

Reactions: notredamerises23
How about the last two dimes that cousins threw? The one to setup the td was dropped in a bucket & thielen made a nice catch (which was more difficult than it looked). What a play in crunch time.
Hew went right at the substitute CB who just came in on the long pass to Theilen. You never know if that is purposeful or just fortunate, but in this case it sure worked quite well.

So weak it would never be called. That was nothing

That's how I felt. I was really surprised it was considered a controversial play. I guess it was only because of the terrible no-call last year against the Saints.

Reactions: raycyrx
At least a couple of former NFL referees/rules analysts (Terry McAulay and John Parry) thought OPI should have been called:

https://247sports.com/Article/Saint...ng-touchdown-referee-Terry-McAulay-141696658/

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/re...f-vikings-game-winning-touchdown-01dxvt0v002f

Close play either way. But the fact that Sean Payton isn't complaining about it should be the end of the story.
A couple out of how many that were asked?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT