ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Hamilton

He missed a few tackles, broke up a pass, looks like he belongs on the field already. Defensive backs in general have been significantly improved last few years ... a good pass rush will always make them better.

Reactions: d1042
I wouldn’t be surprised if he leads the team in INTs this year. He’s going to be a very good player for us. Wish we recruited more of his caliber.

He missed a few tackles, broke up a pass, looks like he belongs on the field already. Defensive backs in general have been significantly improved last few years ... a good pass rush will always make them better.
He did, but he just needed to break down and fit the hole. He came in with his hair on fire and ran past the ball carrier.

He did, but he just needed to break down and fit the hole. He came in with his hair on fire and ran past the ball carrier.
Did he miss a few tackles? I know he missed one. Wu missed a few, white missed a few. Bilal was clueless and wasn't even close to a tackle. Gillman tackled well but took some bad angles out of plays.

I think the defense will settle down to be honest. As I said before I think the element of surprise with a new staff made the difference. Only 3 points in the second half.

as did a lot of guys. Gilman took some terrible angles. the ability is there from all those guys. just have to tighten up the fundamentals.

I think a big issue with our tackling is our average at best RBs not getting our D ready for some speed and elusiveness. We don't have speed this year (only guy with speed is armstrong and he's more one cut back). Our D has been tackling guys that aren't overly fast, they are more physical, and don't really make you miss. Louisville had small cat backs. Hard to simulate in practice.

Tackling in general was below average ... lots of yards after initial contact ... last years defense was outstanding tackling and gang tackling.
D Hayes sack of Pass was a thing of beauty though.

We needed Kyle to emerge to avoid playing Gilman and Elliott every down. Gilman started slow but he ended up with 10 tackles to lead the team.

I think a big issue with our tackling is our average at best RBs not getting our D ready for some speed and elusiveness. We don't have speed this year (only guy with speed is armstrong and he's more one cut back). Our D has been tackling guys that aren't overly fast, they are more physical, and don't really make you miss. Louisville had small cat backs. Hard to simulate in practice.
I actually think Jahmir Smith has that potential, I still question his instincts on a few of his cuts though.

I'm not convinced Tony will ever have it unfortunately.

I actually think Jahmir Smith has that potential, I still question his instincts on a few of his cuts though.

I'm not convinced Tony will ever have it unfortunately.
Pretty solid day for not having it. Broke 100, 7+ypc, TD. I won’t try and convince you he’s elite, he’s not. He doesn’t have top end speed either. But he’s a solid player who stepped into an elevated roll and played well.

Pretty solid day for not having it. Broke 100, 7+ypc, TD. I won’t try and convince you he’s elite, he’s not. He doesn’t have top end speed either. But he’s a solid player who stepped into an elevated roll and played well.
and 90 of those yards came on the first drive of the game where the holes were so big I could have ran through them.

we've seen him so much over the last several years because the recruiting at running back has been so bad and we simply don't have a better option

and 90 of those yards came on the first drive of the game where the holes were so big I could have ran through them.

we've seen him so much over the last several years because the recruiting at running back has been so bad and we simply don't have a better option

Jones did not have 90 yards rushing in the first drive ... huge exaggeration.

Yeah he didn't have many yards first drive (jones that is).

Here is what jones does, he turns 8 yard runs into 12 yard runs because of his balance and size, he turns 3 yard runs into 1 yard runs because of how slow he hits the hole, he turns 50 yard runs into 15-20 yard runs because of how slow his top end speed is.

Yeah he didn't have many yards first drive (jones that is).

Here is what jones does, he turns 8 yard runs into 12 yard runs because of his balance and size, he turns 3 yard runs into 1 yard runs because of how slow he hits the hole, he turns 50 yard runs into 15-20 yard runs because of how slow his top end speed is.

He also is the only dependable back the coaching staff can count on.
Armstrong is always hurt. Williams got playing time but dropped a wide open swing pass & whiffed on a pass block.
Jones catches the ball, blocks, & does what is needed. He pretty much was the offense the first half against UL.

Reactions: napy2121
He also is the only dependable back the coaching staff can count on.
Armstrong is always hurt. Williams got playing time but dropped a wide open swing pass & whiffed on a pass block.
Jones catches the ball, blocks, & does what is needed. He pretty much was the offense the first half against UL.
No doubt we need him big time without Armstrong healthy, but I was agreeing with poster just on the poor RB recruiting over the last few years.

Just because we need Jones to play a lot doesn't mean he's good, he's not.

No doubt we need him big time without Armstrong healthy, but I was agreeing with poster just on the poor RB recruiting over the last few years.

Just because we need Jones to play a lot doesn't mean he's good, he's not.

LOL

He’s good.

I know going back to even before last season you bashed him, just can’t get over the fact that he’s not bad like you think, so will just keep nitpicking him.
You just want someone who is fast. RB isn’t always about speed. ND has fast guys who aren’t as good as Jones, thus they don’t play.

LOL

He’s good.

I know going back to even before last season you bashed him, just can’t get over the fact that he’s not bad like you think, so will just keep nitpicking him.
You just want someone who is fast. RB isn’t always about speed. ND has fast guys who aren’t as good as Jones, thus they don’t play.
ND fans can be weird, either you are elite or trash and there is no in-between. No he isn’t super fast, but he keeps book clean with fundamental blocking, and does everything well enough. I agree with the point about recruiting at the position in general but really that is being addressed and shouldn’t paint our view of his single game performance here. Solid day for him.

Last edited:
You are right I meant the first quarter...where Notre Dame was completely exploding their front before they started to load the box

ND fans can be weird, either you are elite or trash and there is no in-between. No he isn’t super fast, but he keeps book clean with fundamental blocking, and does everything well enough. I agree with the point about recruiting at the position in general but really that is being addressed and shouldn’t paint our view of his single game performance here. Solid day for him.
I don't know who you are referring to but I've acknowledged that Tony Jones is a solid situational role player on a playoff-caliber team.

he's getting first team 1b type of reps his entire career here and just leaving way too many yards on the field

he would be the perfect player to provide garbage-time cleanup duty but instead he's on the first team

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I don't know who you are referring to but I've acknowledged that Tony Jones is a solid situational role player on a playoff-caliber team.

But the amount of carries that he's gotten at Notre Dame is a good example of why Notre Dame is nowhere near the first tier of college football teams.
Get nasty said “he’s not good” a few posts up. I think our general opinion on this player generally aligns. Perhaps I think he’s “a little better” than you but it’d be splitting hairs at this point because yes he is not a top tier back overall.

Get nasty said “he’s not good” a few posts up. I think our general opinion on this player generally aligns. Perhaps I think he’s “a little better” than you but it’d be splitting hairs at this point because yes he is not a top tier back overall.

They just did offensive grades (BGI), & Jones was tied for the highest grade.
He also was the most efficient player.
Hainsey was also tied for highest grade. Banks was tied for lowest.

Jones gets a lot of crap because he is not spectacular and isnt great at short yardage, but the fact is hes always productive and is sure handed (doesnt fumble) and has great hands. Hes not Dex or Adams, but he is very solid and sure handed. Id like to see smith get more short yardage, he seems to run very low to the ground and fall forward whereas it seems Jones is stood up more and falls backwards... not great in short yardage.

They just did offensive grades (BGI), & Jones was tied for the highest grade.
He also was the most efficient player.
Hainsey was also tied for highest grade. Banks was tied for lowest.

anybody who wants a real idea of how Notre Dame players are grading out I highly suggest getting them from a neutral source like pro football focus.

I really like some of Brian Ds analysis but he can get really married to his opinions and instead of acknowledging when he's incorrect he has a tendency to double down and become maniacal about trying to prove his takes are correct

Reactions: francade
anybody who wants a real idea of how Notre Dame players are grading out I highly suggest getting them from a neutral source like pro football focus.

I really like some of Brian Ds analysis but he can get really married to his opinions and instead of acknowledging when he's incorrect he has a tendency to double down and become maniacal about trying to prove his takes are correct
Who'd PFF have as our top defender from the Louisville qame?

Who'd PFF have as our top defender from the Louisville qame?

I understand that your question is rhetorical but I think it leads nicely into a point I want to make.

I'm not sure how bilal was graded the top player on defense because from my view it looked like he was really bad especially in the first half. but my eye is untrained and I'm only watching the TV broadcast and I don't have nearly the resources that pro football focus does.

like everything else you would probably get a better understanding of who graded out the best by getting a multitude of opinions from a multitude of resources.

This kid is looking like ND’s next GREAT player. Teams will run offenses to take him out of the play, costing then a portion of the field and a player!

White improved during the game I guess, but all the plays he made were unblocked. I am terrified of what Georgia s big monsters are going to do to #41 #95 #22 and #40

LOL

He’s good.

I don't think it's nitpicking. And by good i'm talking compared to RBs on top teams, say top 25.

I agree running back isn't always about speed, but please show me a good college running back in todays game slower than TJ. Why do we have the slowest running back of a top 25 team. Don't have to have Tyree speed, but armstrong at a minimum.

If you are talking about the fast 4.5-4.6 cbo that no one wanted and Jahmir who hardly anyone wanted then i say "come on man". Kyren doesn't have great speed but better than jones, he has moves, but obviously isn't ready as a frosh yet. Dex didn't have great speed, but he was explosive. Tony isn't going to make mistakes, but ND converts one or two more third downs, and hits one possibly two home runs with a good RB. Don't think it's too much to ask for ND to have good RBs.

Any thoughts on this?

As a S Hamilton’s impact vs as an OLB Hamilton’s impact?

at 6’4 and a potential 240 could Hamilton become a Brad Van Pelt type player?
He has a similar physique and that kind of talent.
He would be more involved in plays.

thoughts?

Any thoughts on this?

As a S Hamilton’s impact vs as an OLB Hamilton’s impact?

at 6’4 and a potential 240 could Hamilton become a Brad Van Pelt type player?
He has a similar physique and that kind of talent.
He would be more involved in plays.

thoughts?
The focus needs to be on keeping and improving on his agility, mobility, and play making skills. If he adds weight naturally so be it, but DO NOT FORCE IT. He has too good of ball skills to risk taking that away. I think you'll see more of a chase claypool type looking player at safety. 6'4, 220lbs, crazy range and skill.

Bilal.
LOL

BGI has him graded as the lowest.
PFF is an assignment correct grade, Bilal is 5th year and knows where he needs to be. Problem is, he's not a football player at this level, and has no instincts, and no ability to make a play. The TD run by Pass where Bilal just stood there confused was laughable.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
We needed Kyle to emerge to avoid playing Gilman and Elliott every down. Gilman started slow but he ended up with 10 tackles to lead the team.
Everyone knows I'm a huge Gilman fan.

He was one player that belonged on the field in our playoff debacle against Clemson.

Having said that if Gilman has 10 tackles then our defense isn't having a good night.

Jones gets a lot of crap because he is not spectacular and isnt great at short yardage, but the fact is hes always productive and is sure handed (doesnt fumble) and has great hands. Hes not Dex or Adams, but he is very solid and sure handed. Id like to see smith get more short yardage, he seems to run very low to the ground and fall forward whereas it seems Jones is stood up more and falls backwards... not great in short yardage.
The thing that pisses me off is he’s always lauded for his pass pro yet that aspect left a lot to be desired. I don’t think he was torched on any of his runs, and when he was he couldn’t break a tackle. He is so average

White improved during the game I guess, but all the plays he made were unblocked. I am terrified of what Georgia s big monsters are going to do to #41 #95 #22 and #40
Yep, I find it amazing that Bilal is taking all the heat from the game. He was bad, but Drew White was every bit as bad, he was out of position time and time again.

It amazes me that both of those guys (along with Jones) are starting on a team that was in the playoff last year. We had one class where we signed five top 100 linebackers and we pick Bilal and White as our starters. It isn't like we haven't recruited well there, it just makes no sense.

Yep, I find it amazing that Bilal is taking all the heat from the game. He was bad, but Drew White was every bit as bad, he was out of position time and time again.

It amazes me that both of those guys (along with Jones) are starting on a team that was in the playoff last year. We had one class where we signed five top 100 linebackers and we pick Bilal and White as our starters. It isn't like we haven't recruited well there, it just makes no sense.
Bilal was terrible, White was bad, but after watching the game again very closely... the worst players on the field and the cause of the gashing runs were both defensive tackles. Absolutely horrible performances by both of them. Got baited into over penetrating into the backfield countless times, and the times they didn’t they were planted on their asses by mediocre line. This defense cannot be good if they don’t make a 180.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT