ADVERTISEMENT

Kyle Hamilton NFL Combine

Dec 7, 2007
Kyle put up good numbers in the vertical and broad jumps, and also had an excellent time in the 3-cone drill, but I expected him to run a faster 40 time. His official time was 4.59. I didn't think he would run a sub 4.40, but I thought he would run somewhere in the mid 4.4 range. I wonder if he will run the 40 again at ND's Pro Day, or if he will just let that 40 time number stand. I don't think Kyle's time hurt his draft stock, but I guess we will see how that plays out.

With Kyle's height and long arms, he is probably getting to the appointed place at about the same time as a guy who runs much faster anyway.

At the end of the day I tend to agree with those who say fast 40 times at the Combine are overrated. They don't call the NFL Combine the "Underwear Olympics" for nothing. Mike Mamula is a cautionary tale about putting too much stock in the Combine results.

Reactions: Kelso86
Kyle put up good numbers in the vertical and broad jumps, and also had an excellent time in the 3-cone drill, but I expected him to run a faster 40 time. His official time was 4.59. I didn't think he would run a sub 4.40, but I thought he would run somewhere in the mid 4.4 range. I wonder if he will run the 40 again at ND's Pro Day, or if he will just let that 40 time number stand. I don't think Kyle's time hurt his draft stock, but I guess we will see how that plays out.

With Kyle's height and long arms, he is probably getting to the appointed place at about the same time as a guy who runs much faster anyway.

At the end of the day I tend to agree with those who say fast 40 times at the Combine are overrated. They don't call the NFL Combine the "Underwear Olympics" for nothing. Mike Mamula is a cautionary tale about putting too much stock in the Combine results.
Remember Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and he became the greatest end of all time

Reactions: Zorich 88
He’s going to be top 5 pick and perennial pro bowl player. He’s size makes up for any speed challenges. Dude is 6’4 225

He covers a lot of ground. No worries, still top 5. Starter from day 1

He stumbled and was weaving a little.

He’ll improve when he runs straight !

Remember Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and he became the greatest end of all time

I can run a 4.8 so that means I’m NFL safety ready, right? The 40 is overrated unless you’re a short WR or short HB that needs an edge. Is it good to be fast? Of course. It’s not going to matter for KH.

Last edited:
Agree but it was 4.59, closer to 4.6 and tied for last in terms of safeties. I don’t think it will matter any but slower than everyone thought.

Perhaps he’s out of shape slightly from being injured? Just guessing here. Not like he was working out super hard the past few months or playing in games.

Reactions: GDFan
Perhaps he’s out of shape slightly from being injured? Just guessing here. Not like he was working out super hard the past few months or playing in games.
Quite interesting that the guys that decided to sit out ran slow 40’s. Coincidence?? Maybe

Quite interesting that the guys that decided to sit out ran slow 40’s. Coincidence?? Maybe

Right. The odds of serious injury are small. The impact on your team is significant. The not often considered costs of sitting out… like most consequences in life, nobody considers the unknown costs. It’s why my philosophy is play hard, quit worrying, be a teammate, and let life happen. Sure, Jalen Smith got hurt, but that could’ve happened in every game and practice he ever played in from the first time he put on a helmet. KH’s draft stock will be fine, but I’m sure his 40 time would be better had he been practicing for the bowl game. Same for Kyren, who had a much more detrimental 40 time. Plus we’d likely have won. If KH loses even 1 position spot in the draft, it will completely change the trajectory of his career. Sitting out could cost him even 1 spot, Kyren possibly several spots, which could also mean $. Neither were likely to have gotten seriously injured in the bowl, nor would they have had to necessarily play the entire game. He could end up on a shittier team like the Lions because he sat out. Choices have many complicated trade offs. Again, KH will be fine, but I’m not so sure sitting out is the super great overwhelmingly logical choice for every player (Kyren) the narrow minded think.

Last edited:
Reactions: BodiTheGreat
Right. The odds of serious injury are small. The impact on your team is significant. The not often considered costs of sitting out… like most consequences in life, nobody considers the unknown costs. It’s why my philosophy is play hard, quit worrying, be a teammate, and let life happen. Sure, Jalen Smith got hurt, but that could’ve happened in every game and practice he ever played in from the first time he put on a helmet. KH’s draft stock will be fine, but I’m sure his 40 time would be better had he been practicing for the bowl game. Same for Kyren, who had a much more detrimental 40 time. Plus we’d likely have won. If KH loses even 1 position spot in the draft, it will completely change the trajectory of his career. Sitting out could cost him even 1 spot, Kyren possibly several spots, which could also mean $. Neither were likely to have gotten seriously injured in the bowl, nor would they have had to necessarily play the entire game. He could end up on a shittier team like the Lions because he sat out. Choices have many complicated trade offs. Again, KH will be fine, but I’m not so sure sitting out is the super great overwhelmingly logical choice for every player (Kyren) the narrow minded think.
That's silly. Every player is not in the exact same situation. Kyren absolutely did the right thing given his family circumstances.

That's silly. Every player is not in the exact same situation. Kyren absolutely did the right thing given his family circumstances.

Not sure what’s silly about it. Exactly what I said. And there are costs not considered. Period. People like you with their absolutely statements are ignorant.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
It’s actually quite bad for Kyren to run that slow when Amaré Barno, a 6’6 240 lb DL, ran 4.37.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Yes coincidence

Too slow Kyren should’ve been a team player. He guy acted like a tier 1 draft pick, now he’s lucky to scrape 4th round. Could’ve proven his worth running, instead he quit. While a 250 lb DL runs a 4.3. Ouch. I’d hate to feel that tackle. A guy that’s 9 inches taller and 50 lbs heavier that can run a significantly faster 50 clobbering me.

Maybe the Lions will want him.

Last edited:
Too slow Kyren should’ve been a team player. He guy acted like a tier 1 draft pick, now he’s lucky to scrape 4th round. Could’ve proven his worth running, instead he quit. While a 250 lb DL runs a 4.3. Ouch. I’d hate to feel that tackle. A guy that’s 9 inches taller and 50 lbs heavier that can run a significantly faster 50 clobbering me.

4th round? From what source are you suggesting this nonsensical outcome?

Playing in that game would have not helped him at all. He's still going to get drafted, probably 3rd or 4th round. And I hope he does great, it will only help us if he does. Plus he's a good kid and carried us this year and has been great for 2 years. Good luck to him

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
Playing in that game would have not helped him at all. He's still going to get drafted, probably 3rd or 4th round. And I hope he does great, it will only help us if he does. Plus he's a good kid and carried us this year and has been great for 2 years. Good luck to him

Ian Book had a faster 40 time. Lounging around was a better choice than 20+ practices and a hard fought competition. Right. Keep believing that.

How do you know that playing in the bowl game wouldn’t have helped him ?

Ian Book had a faster 40 time. Lounging around was a better choice than 20+ practices and a hard fought competition. Right. Keep believing that.
I thought the same thing.

Competition tends to make one sharper.

His form and technique were flawed during his run.
He’ll run faster times when he doesn‘t weave and/or slip

Reactions: IrishBeer
4th round? From what source are you suggesting this nonsensical outcome?

3rd or 4th because he sat out. Watch and see. He’d have done much much better with 20+ practices and a bowl game. You reap what you sow.

Last edited:
Book is a good athlete. The risk of getting injured outweighed the reward of playing in his mind. His choice. And he wasn't lounging around.

How do you know it would have helped? How do you know he wouldn't have been injured?

Are you a hide in your basement after being vacced and boosted type? How do you know your stocks won’t perform poorly? Better not invest. Don’t lift weights scare you might tear a muscle. Come on. Practice is always good.

3rd or 4th because he sat out. Watch and see. He’d have done much much better with 20+ practices and a bowl game. You reap why you sow.
He doesn't do better with 20 extra practices. That is nonsense and moronic.

He was a 2nd or 3rd rounder before the 40 and he's probably a 3rd or 4th rounder as of now

Someone is butt hurt because his favorite player didn't play in the bowl game. Keep crying about it

He doesn't do better with 20 extra practices. That is nonsense and moronic.

He was a 2nd or 3rd rounder before the 40 and he's probably a 3rd or 4th rounder as of now

Someone is butt hurt because his favorite player didn't play in the bowl game. Keep crying about it

Anyone that doesn’t think practice makes you better isn’t a former athlete. Worse yet, you think practice making you better is moronic, which clearly means you were never an athlete. That’s a big statement.

I bet you’re a hide in your basement after being vacced and boosted type. How do you know your stocks won’t perform poorly? Better not invest.
Are you a moron. Id never get vaxxed you dope. That made zero sense and you are looking dumber and dumber

Like a gilted little teenage girl

Anyone that doesn’t think practice makes you better isn’t a former athlete.
He's been practicing his whole life. He played 2 full seasons

Having an extra 20 practices wasnt going to make him faster. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Having an extra 20 practices wasnt going to make him faster. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Even 2 weeks off can be detrimental to a 40 time.

Dumbest thing you’ve ever heard? Have you ever competed at a high level?

How do you know it would have helped? How do you know he wouldn't have been injured?
I didn’t make the declarative statement, you did !

How do you know that playing in that game wouldn’t have helped him ?

Every time you get asked a difficult question you avoid answering by attempting to deflect and divert away from the question.

So answer it, how do you know that playing in that game wouldn’t have helped him ?

Even 2 weeks off can be detrimental to a 40 time.

Dumbest thing you’ve ever heard? Have you ever competed at a high level?
Yeah moronic. Dumb. Stupid. Asinine. Look it up.

Yeah it really hurt Micah Parsons when he took off the whole 2020 season and ran a 4.39 40 at 250 pounds.

And it really hurt Rondale Moore after sitting out the whole year, all he did was run a 4.29 and jump 42.5 inches in the vertical

Man it really hurt them missing all that practice time

Dope

I didn’t make the declarative statement, you did !

How do you know that playing in that game wouldn’t have helped him ?

Every time you get asked a difficult question you avoid answering by attempting to deflect and divert away from the question.

So answer it, how do you know that playing in that game wouldn’t have helped him ?
It's not a difficult question, it's a stupid one you've asked when he opted out and I answered it already then.

He's played in over 20 plus games. They have film of him in all of those games. 1 game isn't going to change what they think of him good or bad. They already have 20 plus game films of him. Everyone knows the type of player Kyren is. The good and the bad. His strengths and weaknesses. 1 game is not going to change that

But it probably would have kept him sharper !

His form/technique caused his higher than expected time because he stumbled and was weaving.

His time will improve when he runs straight and true.

But it probably would have kept him sharper !

His form/technique caused his higher than expected time because he stumbled and was weaving.

His time will improve when he runs straight and true.
He's been training for the 40 since he left ND. He's not very fast. Everyone knew that. Going to football practice wasn't going to help his technique in the 40 yard dash.

He's been training for the 40 since he left ND. He's not very fast. Everyone knew that. Going to football practice wasn't going to help his technique in the 40 yard dash.
If you had actually seen him run his 40 you wouldn’t make that statement !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT