ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Austin JR - Cut by Jacksonville

1Redrum

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Oct 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Kevin Austin will likely sign with Jacksonville's practice squad and earn a decent pay cheque. His career stats at Notre Dame were 54 receptions for 996 yards and 7 TD's.

If he would have come back to Notre Dame and been healthy he could have easily matched Claypool's final season of 66 catches, 1,037 yards and 13 TD's. He has a few dollars in his pocket but with NIL its too bad he could not have earned some cash here while playing one more year and upping his chances to a 2nd day draft choice or higher.

Kevin Austin will likely sign with Jacksonville's practice squad and earn a decent pay cheque. His career stats at Notre Dame were 54 receptions for 996 yards and 7 TD's.

If he would have come back to Notre Dame and been healthy he could have easily matched Claypool's final season of 66 catches, 1,037 yards and 13 TD's. He has a few dollars in his pocket but with NIL its too bad he could not have earned some cash here while playing one more year and upping his chances to a 2nd day draft choice or higher.
Huge mistake by him. Unfortunate for both parties

Not when another year at ND…could make that be 20x that amount …
With his injury history, I do not question Kevin Austin Jr. one bit. $207,000.00 at age 22, and you start your NFL pension.

IMO an easy decision.

"Not when another year at ND…could make that be 20x that amount …"

but on the flip side, he comes back and gets injured, now what? -- no one can predict what the future holds -- we all make decisions based on the facts that are at our disposal at the time

With his injury history, I do not question Kevin Austin Jr. one bit. $207,000.00 at age 22, and you start your NFL pension.

IMO an easy decision.
For you. For many others it would have been smart for him to return to school. He made a mistake. He could have moved up to a 3rd rounder or so

but on the flip side, he comes back and gets injured, now what? -- no one can predict what the future holds -- we all make decisions based on the facts that are at our disposal at the time
He still makes a practice squad and gets paid

Reactions: Kelso86
Man that sucks. I was shocked when he didn't get drafted. I would like to see it be allowed that if you don't get drafted you can come back to your school and finish any remaining eligibility you have.
fans here are not totally unbiased nor always objective. they play football all across the country!

For you. For many others it would have been smart for him to return to school. He made a mistake. He could have moved up to a 3rd rounder or so
"....could have...."

OK.

And based on his injury history, he also could have regretted the decision to stay.

We simply disagree.

Fifth Round RB Kyren Williams is having a stellar LA Rams camp. He made the correct decision as well. Go get paid.

Kevin Austin Jr. is 22-years-old and a Notre Dame graduate. A $207,000.00 NFL Practice Squad salary, given his CFB injury history, was a no brainer.

Go get paid.
Dumb decision. He needs to play football. Probably cost himself hundreds of thousands of cash.

I don't know if he would have matched Claypool or not. Probably not. But he definitely should have come back. Specifically in order to boost his NFL chances, even if he was tired of ND and ready to leave. Hell he should have just transferred. If he was resentful at having his football career sort of vaporized by ND's disciplinary code.

Point being he needed one more season being a full-time starter to unlock his NFL potential.

I don't know if he would have matched Claypool or not. Probably not. But he definitely should have come back. Specifically in order to boost his NFL chances, even if he was tired of ND and ready to leave. Hell he should have just transferred. If he was resentful at having his football career sort of vaporized by ND's disciplinary code.

Point being he needed one more season being a full-time starter to unlock his NFL potential.
I knew I was correct. Loved reading this.

Man that sucks. I was shocked when he didn't get drafted. I would like to see it be allowed that if you don't get drafted you can come back to your school and finish any remaining eligibility you have.
I was not shocked whatsoever. I was surprised he declared for the draft because he was not getting drafted. Perhaps he got the hint of the log jam at the receiver spot with more talent than himself.
Huge mistake by him. Unfortunate for both parties
You can't live in hindsight and honestly his draft stock wasn't changing much. He plays one more year to get drafted in the 6th round? Stop the presses there. Wow
No way in hell was he getting 20x that. He's not an elite talent. In case you didn't notice in the NFL you're drafted on two things. #1 is incredible measurables that can't be taught and the other is an insane season.
Austin could never change what god gave him and he wasn't going to have an all world type of season.
Can you see him getting 1500 yards had he come back? NO WAY!

Too many better players around him at the WR spot.
He gad 888 yards last season... Even if he got another 149 yards for the season he wasn't getting drafted at all or higher than 6th or 7th...and he'd be cut just like now.

Chase didn't benefit from his 1000 yards receiving ( not in this pass happy era)

No no...he benefitted from the fact he ran one hundredth faster than Austin but at 40 pounds heavier. He just graded out much higher than Austin because neither did/was going to have all world stats here.

"....could have...."

OK.

And based on his injury history, he also could have regretted the decision to stay.

We simply disagree.

Fifth Round RB Kyren Williams is having a stellar LA Rams camp. He made the correct decision as well. Go get paid.
Yes he did. Kevin did not

No pension credits for practice squad players.
If you get to three seasons as a practice squad player, you receive an NFL pension. Also 401K, and full health/dental benefits.

22-years-old, make $207,000.00 for 18 weeks worth of work, and on top of that you were injury prone all through CFB, take your Notre Dame degree and go get paid.

I was not shocked whatsoever. I was surprised he declared for the draft because he was not getting drafted. Perhaps he got the hint of the log jam at the receiver spot with more talent than himself.

You can't live in hindsight and honestly his draft stock wasn't changing much. He plays one more year to get drafted in the 6th round? Stop the presses there. Wow

No way in hell was he getting 20x that. He's not an elite talent. In case you didn't notice in the NFL you're drafted on two things. #1 is incredible measurables that can't be taught and the other is an insane season.
Austin could never change what god gave him and he wasn't going to have an all world type of season.

He gad 888 yards last season... Even if he got another 149 yards for the season he wasn't getting drafted at all or higher than 6th or 7th...and he'd be cut just like now.

Chase didn't benefit from his 1000 yards receiving ( not in this pass happy era)

No no...he benefitted from the fact he ran one hundredth faster than Austin but at 40 pounds heavier. He just graded out much higher than Austin because neither did/was going to have all world stats here.
With his athletisicm he could have been a high draft pick. You can't teach that. We had a horrible wr coach in his time here. He had a lot of bad tape

Another year of production and better tape he could have skyrocketed up draft boards.

He is an elite talent. He made a mistake

If you get to three seasons as an NFL practice squad player, you receive pension credit.
How many guys spend 3 years on a practice squad ? Extremely rare. Pension credits accrue when spending a specific number of games on an active roster. My nieces husband played 9 years and was a player rep.

If you get to three seasons as a practice squad player, you receive an NFL pension. Also 401K, and full health/dental benefits.

22-years-old, make $207,000.00, and on top of that you were injury prone all through CFB, take your Notre Dame degree and go get paid.
You act like he was hurt his whole time here. He had 2 injuries

With his athletisicm he could have been a high draft pick. You can't teach that. We had a horrible wr coach in his time here. He had a lot of bad tape

Another year of production and better tape he could have skyrocketed up draft boards.

He is an elite talent. He made a mistake
"Elite talent???"

I want what you are drinking.

I knew I was correct. Loved reading this.
You mean you were fantasizing about what I was going to say, and you guessed right?

You're like the original creeper troll on these boards. Are you still a complete pariah and untouchable on the main pay board? I don't know what changed, but it appears you're now an established regular on this free board. In case you didn't realize, which I'm sure you do, your little act where you the play the part of the smirking teacher's pet, and have been reliably playing for many, many years now, is universally annoying and repellent. But I guess I do appreciate the fact that there's at least one fan on these boards that isn't going to turn on BK.....

Oh, and I will go ahead and put you on ignore. And then you don't have to bother with any of your little simpering retorts or remarks. At least not to any of my posts....

He has potential because he’s physically there & has a knack to make some difficult catches but he’s way too inconsistent w/ the easy ones. At ND and w/ jax he’s dropped some gimmees. I don’t think he has great hands per se, but he does make plays here & there. I know it sounds simple but some guys just aren’t natural catchers, I don’t think he is. Wish him luck & the ND fan in me wishes he would’ve stayed but it is what it is.

He has potential because he’s physically there & has a knack to make some difficult catches but he’s way too inconsistent w/ the easy ones. At ND and w/ jax he’s dropped some gimmees. I don’t think he has great hands per se, but he does make plays here & there. I know it sounds simple but some guys just aren’t natural catchers, I don’t think he is. Wish him luck & the ND fan in me wishes he would’ve stayed but it is what it is.
This is far far more accurate than "elite talent....."

Yes, good counterpoint

$207,000.00 at age 22 to play 18 weeks of football.... Full benefits. 401K. NFL pension down the road.

I do not blame him one bit.

$207,000.00 at age 22 to play 18 weeks of football.... Full benefits. 401K. NFL pension down the road.

I do not blame him one bit.
No one is blaming him. But that doesn't mean he made the right choice

I had him worst, going in 4th round if he returned…and under that assumption, and by bracketing the average salary of the first pick in the 4th round and the first pick in the 5th round, he could earn at least 15x and up to 20x if drafted on day 2

Reactions: Golson5
I had him worst, going in 4th round if he returned…and under that assumption, and by bracketing the average salary of the first pick in the 4th round and the first pick in the 5th round, he could earn at least 15x and up to 20x if drafted on day 2
4th is reasonable. I could have seen him go even higher. With proper coaching, another year of production, and putting out good film he would have been a high draft pick compared to what he was

Reactions: BGI User 756
Definitely saw this coming, he would have definitely benefited from another CFB season. Just a poor decision really

Reactions: Golson5

We do, but the facts said he should have returned. His decision though; I wish him well

The thing for someone like Austin is the need for playing time, for more minutes and more reps. And you become a better player. Maybe you even get drafted higher, and moreover to that you actually make the team, however high or low you're drafted. Because you're a straight-up better player. Older, wiser, more skillful, more experienced, etc...

But the dominant new conventional wisdom, which has been around for a while now, is to go pro at the first available, defensible opportunity. Like that's the smart, shrewd thing to do.... And it's pretty much on the basis of one notion, that you're probably not going to improve your draft status after a certain point, and once you've established that much, then you should definitely go pro immediately. And there's nothing to be gained by staying in college.

Worse than that these know-it-alls also bring up the idea that you if turn pro sooner, you have more earning years in your future that way, instead of wasting them in college. Even though we're talking about guys that might not even make the team as rookies, and the whole thing is over before it ever starts. IMO the far better bet, if you want any kind of NFL career, is to show up for tryouts at your absolute best, giving you optimal chance of actually making the roster, which is seemingly the definitive most important factor.

And having said all that, Kevin Austin should have returned without doubt, and would easily be a poster child for foolishly going pro, and following the herd, when the smart play was definitely to return and get more reps.

That's what NIL hopefully will bring. Good, quality, productive starters who stay in school, rather than go hardship.

And after a while the only guys who will bother turning pro early will be the sure-things. No worse than guaranteed 3rd round. So in addition to Kevin Austin, in future years, Kyren Williams will most definitely return.

Reactions: 1Redrum and Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT