ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Harbaugh and the cancel culture

domerjake

Shakes Down The Thunder
Sep 6, 2016
Ok i know there are a lot of Michigan haters in this group but i have a ton of respect for Harbaugh and his prolife stance and I can’t help but wonder if he is a victim of the cancel culture

Reactions: d1042
What's the story exactly with Harbaugh/Michigan? What's the big scandal? I will say that so-called cancel culture, dreaded societal menace that it most definitely is, for the most part doesn't care too much about internecine sports squabbling I wouldn't think. And if this is something that doesn't really touch any of the liberal pressure points and its just meathead jocks fighting amongst themselves, they might not even notice or wouldn't know what to say, or exactly how they would condemn him.

Isn't this about cheating, and stealing playbooks and signs and whatnot?

Maybe, just maybe, Harbaugh broke some rules? Naw, that would never happen. So it has to be the "Cancel Culture" that went after him.

So glad you figured that out, Sherlock.
How’s your reading comprehension, probably as long as your…… I never said harbaugh was innocent

How’s your reading comprehension, probably as long as your…… I never said harbaugh was innocent
Apparently better than yours. I never said the Cancel Culture didn't exist, did I? People like you make everything out to be a conspiracy.

You seem a little immature for this board. What are you, twelve years old?

By the way, it appears you're getting torn up by all sides on your thread.

Michigan got caught cheating. They literally tried to gain an edge filming of taking videos of future opponents in a way that it is clearly stated, it is illegal. Yet somehow the story is Michigan vs everyone? What ?!! Am I missing something ? ND vacated 2 years of wins over something that had nothing to do with football. Harbaugh should be done for good. This is a total joke that he can coach all week but can’t be on the sidelines during the game. That’s punishment?? Ridiculous

Ok i know there are a lot of Michigan haters in this group but i have a ton of respect for Harbaugh and his prolife stance and I can’t help but wonder if he is a victim of the cancel culture
You know how I know you didn’t go to Notre Dame? So cheating doesn’t matter to you? Weird.

Michigan got caught cheating. They literally tried to gain an edge filming of taking videos of future opponents in a way that it is clearly stated, it is illegal. Yet somehow the story is Michigan vs everyone? What ?!! Am I missing something ? ND vacated 2 years of wins over something that had nothing to do with football. Harbaugh should be done for good. This is a total joke that he can coach all week but can’t be on the sidelines during the game. That’s punishment?? Ridiculous
I find it hard to believe that other teams don't have spys at opponents games.
This is a BOT issue not the NCAA with all the injustice they've committed.

It's kinda like the UN talking about human rights yet have some of the biggest abusers judging

How does this fit the cancel culture narrative? No doubt it’s alive and well but not sure you understand what cancel culture is

Reactions: irishalice
I find it hard to believe that other teams don't have spys at opponents games.
This is a BOT issue not the NCAA with all the injustice they've committed.

It's kinda like the UN talking about human rights yet have some of the biggest abusers judging
Not disagreeing. However, from what is being said in articles, the news and commentators, the way they allegedly went about gathering “ information “ seems to go beyond basic integrity. Harbaugh being somewhat punished leads people to believe something is wrong. I think as “ spy gate “ unfolds , more will be revealed. People can make their own determination about what went down.

Not disagreeing. However, from what is being said in articles, the news and commentators, the way they allegedly went about gathering “ information “ seems to go beyond basic integrity. Harbaugh being somewhat punished leads people to believe something is wrong. I think as “ spy gate “ unfolds , more will be revealed. People can make their own determination about what went down.
..."spy gate".... that's awesome!.
I didn’t looked deep into it because I thought it was some kind of inside baseball thing, but like Pitino this is something the BOT should handle.
The NCAA is hardly the best to weigh judgment

Last edited:
It will be very interesting if JH and Michigan really has dirt on other programs cheating. IMO it will be funny as hell if other programs get exposed. Could not happen to a better conference.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Reactions: deadirishpoet
You may hate the rule, but Michigan cheated. I’ll give the big 10 credit for one thing. At least they did something. The NCAA would’ve done absolutely nothing for two or three years.

Reactions: BGI User 756
He's a victim of being a dumbass who got caught cheating.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I think it's sad that people have to interject politics into every facet of American life.

Dude cheated. He got caught. He should be reviewed, judged, and punished.
Agree. What should B1G do? Nothing? That’s what the NCAA is for.

Reactions: mirer03
I would say I totally disagree with your application of the term "cancel culture". Such an accusation should be reserved for instances in which adversarial forces have it out for a particular individual in a proactive manner, and it is usually socio-politically motivated. Another hallmark that is missing here is the deliberate digging up of scandalous information - usually deep into the past - if not entirely manufactured outrage. In this case, both the Big 10 and NCAA are simply reacting to leaks from a multitude of diverse sources. Lastly, "cancel culture" usually involves calls for a stern and unfair punishment not commensurate with the often times trivial offense, fueled by some sort of conspiratorial vendetta.

This is just your typical example of a guy blatantly breaking the rules (yet again) and receiving the punishment due. Harbaugh is far from a victim by any reasonable definition, he is bringing all this heat on by his chronic malfeasance.

Reactions: irishalice
I would say I totally disagree with your application of the term "cancel culture". Such an accusation should be reserved for instances in which adversarial forces have it out for a particular individual in a proactive manner, and it is usually socio-politically motivated. Another hallmark that is missing here is the deliberate digging up of scandalous information - usually deep into the past - if not entirely manufactured outrage. In this case, both the Big 10 and NCAA are simply reacting to leaks from a multitude of diverse sources. Lastly, "cancel culture" usually involves calls for a stern and unfair punishment not commensurate with the often times trivial offense, fueled by some sort of conspiratorial vendetta.

This is just your typical example of a guy blatantly breaking the rules (yet again) and receiving the punishment due. Harbaugh is far from a victim by any reasonable definition, he is bringing all this heat on by his chronic malfeasance.
Yeah, that's true. But I don't think it even requires all that any more. One single F-up online or at work can get you in serious trouble. If you violate the wrong taboos. And it doesn't have to involve some heavy-duty conspiratorial vendetta, or probing your past for every possible previous indiscretion.

However in this case, something like JH's football coaching/cheating scandals, is so far removed from woke cancel culture, almost as far as you could possibly be.... it's hard to imagine how he could be on the recievining end of it in this instance. Not that SJWs wouldn't love to take down a football coach if the right opportunity arose....

Cancel culture is the new catch phrase for anything you don't agree with.

Guy who wear Khaki's... are getting cancelled left and right.

Jeez. The guy cheated.

Ok my bad the cancel culture doesn’t exist right?
So if someone cheats on their medical
boards to become a Doctor, they get caught and are stripped of their license to practice, is that cancel culture?

If I decide to rob a bank, get caught and go to prison, is that cancel culture?

Are you dense? Having a hand in doing something illegal, and getting caught is not cancel culture, it's called consequences for one's actions.

Cancel Culture = Excuse for Breaking Rules

(People are full of excuses these days. Used to be if you broke the rules and cheated, you faced the music. These days you cry 'cancel culture' and turn on X. So sad.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT