ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to start looking for a new coach

Kelly lost this game by f...... around playing both Kizer and Malik. He gave posessions away knowing he had a shit defense. He hired and retained BVG. The blame goes to Kelly. That said, he is as good as ND is willing to get. The next coach will be no better. We have seen this garbage since ND ran off Lou. In biblical terms: You reap what you sow. ND has been sowing for 20 plus years. We are idiots if we, as fans, expect any different. BK, while far from a great coach, is not the problem. The problem is ND.

Yes, with this not so hard of a schedule, ND could easily go 11-1. However, as proven in the past, a New Year's Day beat down is in store. Unless something drastically changes in his coaching approach. You have seen ND reach its highest possible level under coach Kelly. Again, I hope and pray in spite of Kelly's limited coaching ability in big games. In spite of the fact that he is supporting a mid level at best D coach. I want as bad as anyone on this board for our Irish to win the next 12 games. I just do not think that Kelly can beat a Saban team, a Meyer team or I hate to say a Jimmy H. team. Let alone Shaw or Dantonio this year.
Kelly is a good coach who needs help with the defense and a new coordinator

Reactions: Irishjohn68
If he was a good coach the current D coordinator and Strength & Conditioning coach would have been long gone by now. He runs the program

I said it in another thread but this is a more appropriate thread.

If ND really cares about winning they'll go hard after Shaw and make him the highest paid coach in CFB. Time for the naysayers to come out, but if they throw that kind of money at him it's a guarantee he'll at least consider it.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
ND has spent 50-70 million on what? finishing in the top 25 a few times?

Get a huge bankrole and get 'a guy!' that can be 'the guy' and there are only 3-5 of them!
but stop treading water!

ND has spent 50-70 million on what? finishing in the top 25 a few times?

Get a huge bankrole and get 'a guy!' that can be 'the guy' and there are only 3-5 of them!
but stop treading water!

A university does not give millions of dollars to a coach to just be "good". The kind of money that ND is shelling out should equate to greatness. Being just good is not good enough.

I said it in another thread but this is a more appropriate thread.

If ND really cares about winning they'll go hard after Shaw and make him the highest paid coach in CFB. Time for the naysayers to come out, but if they throw that kind of money at him it's a guarantee he'll at least consider it.

Brian Shaw is a great coach and runs a great program.

A university does not give millions of dollars to a coach to just be "good". The kind of money that ND is shelling out should equate to greatness. Being just good is not good enough.

Kelly good? That's a stretch. Adequate maybe, for Purdue. You're right we shouldn't be paying that kind of money for mediocrity. But we have and we currently are. They (administration) either bites the bullet and offers something overwhelming to the "right" guy or goes young on someone with promise and energy that will revitalize the program. This (the HC situation with 8 & 4) will still take several years to play out, so relax and bite your lips.

Kelly good? That's a stretch. Adequate maybe, for Purdue. You're right we shouldn't be paying that kind of money for mediocrity. But we have and we currently are. They (administration) either bites the bullet and offers something overwhelming to the "right" guy or goes young on someone with promise and energy that will revitalize the program. This (the HC situation with 8 & 4) will still take several years to play out, so relax and bite your lips.
Unfortunately he's not going anywhere as long as Swarbrick is there and likely neither is Van Gorder. 1 million to Van Gorder and doesn't recruit while putting a horrific matador D on the field. Not good value for a million.

Reactions: IrishBlessings

Translation of Howard Hall 74's posts: "Hi, I'm Brian Davidson. I graduated from Indiana University. I hate ND and love going to the ND Rivals board to pretend I'm an ND fan/grad so I can bash ND. I've been banned from this board multiple times. Most people on this board can spot who I am instantly based on the similarities of my posts with my previous, now-banned handles. I know that I'm an idiot and fraud. I need lots of psychiatric help for my inferiority complex. Somebody please help me."

Does anyone take into consideration how much the Irish lost in the way of talent from last year? Do you give the team and BK any credit for having to deal with that? Add to the mix, as another poster stated on a different thread, everything he dealt with this preseason. Yes, OSU lost a significant amount of talent as well. But they played Bowling Green....Bowling Green.....who lost to Ga Southern in the GoDaddy Bowl 58-27. The Irish had six players drafted in the first three rounds of the draft, including three of the top 35 picks overall. Notre Dame isn't a football school first...it is an academic school first. So losing this kind of talent compared to OSU is incredibly substantial.

As for BK's playing two QB's, I will say that I was 100% against it and have always wanted him to start Kizer based on last season. But it was not the reason they lost the game. Didn't help, for sure, but not the reason we lost.

Regarding the rest of the season, we have three "tough" games with MSU and Stanford being two of them, and they are at home so I like our chances. USC will be interesting to see which way they go the rest of the season. We all know they will get hyped up for our Irish. We can't take anyone for granted (as is the case for all of the college football top 25 teams - we've seen an upset can happen at anytime). But we should be able to go 10-2 or 11-1. Now that lands us in a major bowl game, and I understand the angst and history.

But that is my final point. Men, we have lives.....we live and die watching our Irish, we go crazy when they play well and win, and we get pissed off and bitch when they lose. But it remains what it always has been...a fricking game. Surely we all have more important things in our lives than droning on and on about whether or not BK can get the job done, or whether or not BVG should be fired (don't get me wrong, I'm as irritated and frustrated with our D as anyone). But I'm dealing with a lot more important things in my life than this and I am sure you are too.

Go Irish

Reactions: HDK
^ sure you meant well but there are so many flaws in your comments that it would be exhausting to take them on.

easy answer: too many excuses.

I've never seen a publication who didn't have BK in the top 20 coaches and 90% of the time he is top 15. You cannot take posters seriously when they say he is garbage and awful, that is why many people come to his aid, because that's just not true. He truly has resurrected the program from it's worse 15 year stretch in its history; a task that the majority thought was undoable to the many factors discussed here.. factors Kelly still faces today.

In my mind, there are only two coaches who have truly separated themselves from the pack as eilte (Meyer, Saban). I believe Pers once said, "Harbaugh, Swinney and Strong have done things in years 2-3 that Kelly never has". Not sure what the hell that means since Swinney and Kelly both made to the NC to get beat by Bama and Strong and Harbaugh haven't done squat. The only realistic options even worth considering (at seasons end if the Irish win less than 9 games) would be Petersen (UW), D'Antonio (MSU). I'm not ready to crown Herman @ Houston. And D'Antonio may be a better coach but nobody knows how he recruits, or handle the ND circus. I like Strong at UT but he's got a better/easier job and has failed thus far in Austin. Pers once said, "is Kelly removed from reality"? Well the fact is, topics and posts such as these are removed from reality because BK is not going any where unless he chooses to do so or goes 5-7 the next two years. End of discussion.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Saban was 34-24-1 at MSU.

Time to realize BK is not the issue to overcome here. Holtz used to get 3 prop 48's.

Maybe we let BK take 3-4 players that get special attention.

Kelly's handling of the QB situation did not lose this game. The offense hung plenty of points to win, and the defense simply failed to perform. MZ had a bad night for sure, but what if he had played to the level we came to expect? Bottom line, Kelly wanted to see them in game action, and he did, and he has made his decision.
As head coach, Kelly is obviously responsible for his staff selections and their performance. He has defended BVG for the past two years based on the crazy number of injuries to key defensive personnel, and to the fact BVG's system requires different kinds of athletes than were at ND when he arrived, and time in the system. Totally appropriate to question the defense performance in year three, and Kelly acknowledge this, but not after ONE game.
Kelly and staff made really good changes at halftime, with personnel replacements, and with going with the four man front. Thought they made a critical mistake reverting back to the 3-3-5 after we finally got the lead, and Kelly so much as admitted this. BVG isn't going anywhere during the season, but he is clearly on the hot seat, as he should be. Hope we see the younger guys playing in the defensive backfield going forward, and hope we see the kind of aggressive and hard to recognize defense that BVG promised upon his hire.

It's one loss. Yes a loss always hurts in college football. Especially in the national championship picture. During Davie, Willingham, and Weis era's we weren't even relevant outside of a season or 2. With Kelly we've been to a national championship and had 3, 10 win seasons. I want to win them all as well but that's not realistic. I expect this team to win a worst 9 games barring injuries to Kizer or Rochelle lose either one of those guys and we're done.
I think there is a lot of truth in what your saying.............jimmer

Brian Shaw?
David Shaw is not going anywhere. He loves Stanford, is an alum, former player, has young kids in school, his wife (MIT grad), loves the area, she has a big time job there too.... I have spoken with him on multiple occasions at an annual Stanford bbq fundraiser.... He and his family are very happy there ... looks like a lifer to me....

Last edited:
Excellent coach but no better than BK.

Not too many teams circle Stanford as their one game.

Face it. We have a touch schedule. We are recognized as the bowl game for each team each week and many players That are highly recruited have their sites on aomething other than a degree. BK has to develop young talent and get his run every 2-3 years. This is year 1 into our next journey.

Excellent coach but no better than BK.

Not too many teams circle Stanford as their one game.

Face it. We have a touch schedule. We are recognized as the bowl game for each team each week and many players That are highly recruited have their sites on aomething other than a degree. BK has to develop young talent and get his run every 2-3 years. This is year 1 into our next journey.

We are recognized as beatable each week due to poor coaching....

well definately the ND invincibility is gone and home or away teams are not shaking in their boots!

Reactions: cgvr
7 of the last 10 national championships have been won by the same 2 coaches. Maybe it's not so much that any individual coaches suck, but that no one can beat either of those 2 guys.

BTW, the other 3 are Gene Chizik, Les Miles and Jimbo. One has been fired, one is getting fired and the other has done nothing without Jameis Winston.

7 of the last 10 national championships have been won by the same 2 coaches. Maybe it's not so much that any individual coaches suck, but that no one can beat either of those 2 guys.

BTW, the other 3 are Gene Chizik, Les Miles and Jimbo. One has been fired, one is getting fired and the other has done nothing without Jameis Winston.
Jameis Winston has only been gone for 1 year. And isn't Jimbo and FSU like 2 years removed from a NC? So to say he has not done much since Winston left FSU is Kind of a head scratcher comment. Last I checked FSU was ranked #3 in both polls.

Kelly lost this game by f...... around playing both Kizer and Malik. He gave posessions away knowing he had a shit defense. He hired and retained BVG. The blame goes to Kelly. That said, he is as good as ND is willing to get. The next coach will be no better. We have seen this garbage since ND ran off Lou. In biblical terms: You reap what you sow. ND has been sowing for 20 plus years. We are idiots if we, as fans, expect any different. BK, while far from a great coach, is not the problem. The problem is ND.

I've never bought the notion that Notre Dame forced Holtz to resign. He announced he would step down at the end of the season. What happened, I believe, is that Rosenthal, the AD, left and he and Holtz were very close, so he no longer had that ally. Malloy and the new AD, whose name escapes me, were very much for turning ND into an Ivy League type school. Plus, they definitely ratcheted up admissions standards, making it difficult for Holtz to recruit the kind of talent he was used to bringing in.

I really enjoyed Holtz as a head coach, but let's remember he had four really great years out of 11 at ND. There were a few 9-3s sprinkled about the undefeated and one-loss years too.

Wow. Some real insight there. I have come 180 degrees on Kelly & BVG. Does not matter how badly they prepare the team for a game or the bad defense or the bad play calling because only 2 coaches have won the NC 7 of the last 10 years. Thank you so much for that. You have solved everyone's dilemma.

What does being ranked #3 after week 1 mean?
Well, let's think about that:
1. If you win and the other 2 teams ahead of you win, you stay at #3
2. If you lose and the other 2 teams lose two - who knows.
3. If you lose and the other 2 teams ahead of you win, you drop in the rankings.
4. If you lose and all the other teams in the top 25 lose, you drop in the rankings.
5. If you lose and the other 50 teams in the rankings lose too, you drop in the rankings.
6. If you win but the #1 team in the rankings lose to the #2 team, you may make it to #2.

So, as you can see, you rhetorical question is so stupid I had to waste 5 minutes posting stupid scenarios to prove how stupid your comment was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT