ADVERTISEMENT

It's nice to see Zaire calling out kelly for his "chicken crap" decision.

It's quite obvious that Zaire believes he won the starting job. This isn't the first time he got in porky's face....

“When I walk on the field, I honestly believe I’m the best guy out there,” Zaire says flatly. “There is no better player than me on the field. I know I can get it done. That’s what keeps me focused, knowing that these guys are looking at me to run the show. You have to perform when you’re asked to perform, and that comes down to confidence. If you’re not confident, why are you out there?”

“I thought I would have a chance to start, and it wasn’t like that at all,” Zaire says. “It was like an unwritten thing, ‘He’s going to be the guy.’ You can’t say there’s going to be a quarterback competition and then decide three days into camp that he (Golson) won the position.

“I didn’t have an opportunity then, because I didn’t even run first-team reps. He was running everything with the first team, and then coach Kelly said, ‘All right, he won the starting job.’ That isn’t a competition. He was meant to win from the beginning.”
I haven't heard anything out of Kizer that would give you the impression that he doesn't also think he won the starting job.

I haven't heard anything out of Kizer that would give you the impression that he doesn't also think he won the starting job.
Agreed. I am curious as to what the O line will be doing when we switch QBs.

maybe if he would have worked harder earlier in his career the situation may be different. maybe zaire should shut the hell up and be a positive example to his teammates. players know whether or not this decision is the proper one. i'm behind kelly 100% on this.
Well he didn't shut the hell up and called the HCs decision "chicken crap" only because he's too polite to say sh**. Any idea on how we are going to handle the blind side when we rotate qbs?

Well he didn't shut the hell up and called the HCs decision "chicken crap" only because he's too polite to say sh**. Any idea on how we are going to handle the blind side when we rotate qbs?
hardly an issue. wasn't last year when malik went down. everyone taking kelly to task but i GUARANTEE the guy who had the biggest influence in this decision is mike sanford. position coaches pretty much make the personnel decisions.

hardly an issue. wasn't last year when malik went down. everyone taking kelly to task but i GUARANTEE the guy who had the biggest influence in this decision is mike sanford. position coaches pretty much make the personnel decisions.

Don't try to pass off Porky's indecisiveness onto Sanford.
Isn't dopey going to be rotating backs/others too?
Quite frankly, my issues on top of the clear lack of leadership are the potential problems with rhythm, consistency, timing.....

no way this isn't a Head Coach decision! hmm, are we warming up the backwards bus before the 1st snap?

decision?

well, regardless, good to know everyone is on the same page!

QB controveries are never good for a team. Sooner or later it divides the team.

The only QB duo I recall as successful is in the way back machine: King Hill/Frank Ryan
Chris Leak. Tim Tebow.

he did this with prior coaching positions. It will work its way out. my guess is both will play 1 qb will get most of the snaps

Hopefully they block the guy in front of them.. These are grown men, they can snap the ball to a pair of different hands and block the guy wearing an orange/white jersey in front of them. Good Lord

Their job changes very little. 90% of the playbook is equally applicable to both guys. This isn't like the Music City Bowl where we had two different styles of QB alternating based on down and distance. The 10% difference is really more in tendency, where Malik is somewhat more likely to have a planned QB run called than Kizer is. But we had plenty of planned QB runs with Kizer last year, so it's not like Kelly/Sanford won't call them. They really are very interchangeable.

I thought we'd see both of them against Texas all along, but I did think one would be a starter and one would be the backup. I am anxious to see if one of them distinguishes himself. I suspect one will, at least to some degree. Based on all practice reports they have both looked very good, very comfortable, and, in a positive way, neither has distinguished himself.

Reactions: echowaker
position coaches pretty much make the personnel decisions.

That may be true for the D-Line rotation and who plays the nickel back. The head coach is picking the QB. There's too much riding on it, it's too visible, and he knows he will be held responsible anyway, good or bad.

Now that doesn't mean that Kelly and Sanford don't watch every practice snap on film and discuss the pros and cons, with Sanford having lots of input. But it's Kelly making the ultimate decision, and Sanford living with it.

Reactions: perseverare
Don't try to pass off Porky's indecisiveness onto Sanford.
Isn't dopey going to be rotating backs/others too?
Quite frankly, my issues on top of the clear lack of leadership are the potential problems with rhythm, consistency, timing.....
not passing off anything. it's how things work at this level. sanford is the guy who is in the qb room, who administers the tests and breaks down the practice film. same as every other position coach. personnel decisions are based on position coach recommendations. period. can the head coach veto ? of course. to devalue mike sanfords role in the qb decision is nothing more than ignorance.

Their job changes very little. 90% of the playbook is equally applicable to both guys. This isn't like the Music City Bowl where we had two different styles of QB alternating based on down and distance. The 10% difference is really more in tendency, where Malik is somewhat more likely to have a planned QB run called than Kizer is. But we had plenty of planned QB runs with Kizer last year, so it's not like Kelly/Sanford won't call them. They really are very interchangeable.

I thought we'd see both of them against Texas all along, but I did think one would be a starter and one would be the backup. I am anxious to see if one of them distinguishes himself. I suspect one will, at least to some degree. Based on all practice reports they have both looked very good, very comfortable, and, in a positive way, neither has distinguished himself.

there is a slight difference in the excecution of the playbook; with DK there are more successful plays between the hash marks; that was what was unique about '15. ND utilized the entire field.

the play calling may change based on who the qb is but the entire playbook will be available. you couldn't say that in the past. actually the entire playbook is available with all of the top 3 qbs. you rarely if ever have that luxury.

no matter what kelly does you'll find fault so take your ignorance and shove it.

Thanks for the chuckles. Zaire blasted Porky with a howitzer. I find it very amusing that he has zero problems firing away at dopey.

Maybe we can trade one of our QBs for a couple of defensive linemen and a player to be named later.

Reactions: cgvr
you just don't understand how it works. yes kelly made the decision. yes sanfords input was easily the biggest factor in that decision.

So, do you believe Sanford said, "I can't decide who is better. So, play both of them" and the gnome bit on that? You are unglued.

not passing off anything. it's how things work at this level. sanford is the guy who is in the qb room, who administers the tests and breaks down the practice film. same as every other position coach. personnel decisions are based on position coach recommendations. period. can the head coach veto ? of course. to devalue mike sanfords role in the qb decision is nothing more than ignorance.

Yeah, Sanford said, "it's a tie...." At the end of the day once again our HC is clueless and a star player called him out on it. "Chicken crap"..... does it get more accurate than that?

So, do you believe Sanford said, "I can't decide who is better. So, play both of them" and the gnome bit on that? You are unglued.
no, i believe sanford said that both have earned the right to play . you REALLY don't understand how things work. it's ok to admit it. it's no different than denson deciding how many rb's will play.

Yeah, Sanford said, "it's a tie...." At the end of the day once again our HC is clueless and a star player called him out on it. "Chicken crap"..... does it get more accurate than that?
that quote is childish and immature. no wonder you like it. zaire would be best served to shut his trap and focus on texas.

Reactions: Pennick44
if these highly paid coaches cannot make decisions, then that explains RZ problems!
what if the fair decision is that they have both earned the right to play ? i'm thrilled that nd has two players at such a high profile position that are both more than capable of leading the offense and are basically interchangeable. yet some here choose the negative. shocking.

that quote is childish and immature. no wonder you like it. zaire would be best served to shut his trap and focus on texas.

It's spot on. Yeah, I'll take your opinion over Zaire's hahahahaha.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT