ADVERTISEMENT

Is USC Back?

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
A lot of grumbling myself included about the way the d played. That said, it struck me that our d hasn’t been pushed like that, ever. Could it be that USC finally has the health they needed and the right pieces? Slovis was hurt in the last loss. He’s phenomenal. Stepp is just getting his step. He looked unstoppable. USC might be the best 3 loss team in football. Time will tell but if they play like they did in South Bend in the second half they’d play with anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewMember21
As soon as they get the right coach they will instantly be a problem
True. I could’ve coached a better game. Why Stepp didn’t get 30 carries is absurd. Some bad calls too helped us. Even with Helton they could win out. I hope they do! It’d save his job and we’d get him for another year at least.

A lot of grumbling myself included about the way the d played. That said, it struck me that our d hasn’t been pushed like that, ever. Could it be that USC finally has the health they needed and the right pieces? Slovis was hurt in the last loss. He’s phenomenal. Stepp is just getting his step. He looked unstoppable. USC might be the best 3 loss team in football. Time will tell but if they play like they did in South Bend in the second half they’d play with anyone.

3 terrible recruiting classes in a row? back?

19-13 since the start of the 2017 season hell yeah USC is back... I’m penciling in one loss next year as we speak

I think it has been pointed out by others more knowledgeable about recruiting than I am that SC has in fact continued to get many really good players at WR, QB and some of the other skill positions, but they haven't recruited other positions (such as OL) very well, so combined with bad coaching there is some unevenness with their play. If SC convinces Urban Meyer to be the next HC, as many speculate is going to happen, I expect they will fix that in a hurry.

True. I could’ve coached a better game. Why Stepp didn’t get 30 carries is absurd. Some bad calls too helped us. Even with Helton they could win out. I hope they do! It’d save his job and we’d get him for another year at least.
Stepp was/is a beast but he may not be a 30 carry kind of RB. He runs with so much energy and emotion that he may wear out at so 15 or so carries.

Ummm, they had the number 3 ranked class in 2018. 19 in 2019. They are having a terrible class this year but i dont know what you are talking about

You keep spouting usc had no talent on the field. Not sure what you're using for your recruiting ranking but not counting 2020 usc had out recruited ND year and year out. They have a endless talent poll in California alone.

You keep spouting usc had no talent on the field. Not sure what you're using for your recruiting ranking but not counting 2020 usc had out recruited ND year and year out. They have a endless talent poll in California alone.
It’s not quite that simple. They’ve also lost a bunch of guys to transfer and guys leaving for nfl with eligibility remaining. And a number of key guys have been lost to suspension —— bolden, jack jones, the LB from Utah and others that I can’t remember. They also can’t redshirt as many guys as they want because of lack of depth. All these issues combined with poor OL doesn’t translate to what we see in rivals rankings. In terms of endless talent pool in Cali, yes there is a lot of it , but there is a ton of competition for it and SC isn’t the first choice right now. In retrospect I would absolutely take our combined classes over theirs the last 5 years when you consider how many kids we redshirted, how long they stayed in the system and our emphasis and success in recruiting OL

It’s not quite that simple. They’ve also lost a bunch of guys to transfer and guys leaving for nfl with eligibility remaining. And a number of key guys have been lost to suspension —— bolden, jack jones, the LB from Utah and others that I can’t remember. They also can’t redshirt as many guys as they want because of lack of depth. All these issues combined with poor OL doesn’t translate to what we see in rivals rankings. In terms of endless talent pool in Cali, yes there is a lot of it , but there is a ton of competition for it and SC isn’t the first choice right now. In retrospect I would absolutely take our combined classes over theirs the last 5 years when you consider how many kids we redshirted, how long they stayed in the system and our emphasis and success in recruiting OL

It is important to some ND fans to hype SC talent That helps explain the rather disappointing performance Sat. nite. ‘we weren’t bad, they were good’
Helton should be fired even more so for the demise of recruiting and dissipated roster talent than his poor coaching performance.
A core of ND fans have cemented biased thinking. Self serving motives.

Fair enough I admit I don't follow usc that close to know the details. I totally agree the USC coach should be fired. Still, they have enough talent to be dangerous and they fought hard. It wasn't just how poorly we played.

Reactions: Rionegro
It is important to some ND fans to hype SC talent That helps explain the rather disappointing performance Sat. nite. ‘we weren’t bad, they were good’
Helton should be fired even more so for the demise of recruiting and dissipated roster talent than his poor coaching performance.
Were as you speak as if we lost by 20. That USC is worse then old dominion and quote ND laid a giant egg. You are just off the deep end on this.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
This is a silly thread. The reason SC ran it so well was because Lea had 5 guys in the box most of the night to defend the pass. That said, Stepp was impressive, and their offensive line performed better than it has the last few years.

They will be a 10-11 win team the second they get a better coach. I was chuckling listening to BK's post-game conference. He mentioned how great of a coach Helton is multiple times. It was almost like they wanted the game to be close to keep him around.

USC is good at virtually every position this year (when healthy) and is legitimately elite at some of them.

There are issues that I’d call “time bombs” for future USC teams, particularly relations to the OL and DL, but not this year.

It’s moronic to claim they’re not a very talented team.

Reactions: irish4life888
ND fans hyping SC is not a fabricated excuse. SC is dangerous. Fans are not the only ones who were/are saying this. The ND beat guys were echoing the same sentiments. I give the SC guys for not giving up, but, I don't care if they win another game this season. You give a talented QB all flipping night to throw, his WRs will find open space eventually.

This is a silly thread. The reason SC ran it so well was because Lea had 5 guys in the box most of the night to defend the pass. That said, Stepp was impressive, and their offensive line performed better than it has the last few years.

They will be a 10-11 win team the second they get a better coach. I was chuckling listening to BK's post-game conference. He mentioned how great of a coach Helton is multiple times. It was almost like they wanted the game to be close to keep him around.

so well? who has not had success running against SC?

Yea...Kelly was clearly being disingenuous! No SC opponent wants to
see Helton go! The mystery of the ages, football wise, is how the hell he got the job to begin with!

I wouldn't say SC is back, but, IMHO, they aren't that far off. There is going to be a real dogfight at the QB position next Spring between JT and Kedon. Clay has things headed in the right direction. I'm going to beat the rush and start worrying now about the 2020 game at USC.

I wouldn't say SC is back, but, IMHO, they aren't that far off. There is going to be a real dogfight at the QB position next Spring between JT and Kedon. Clay has things headed in the right direction. I'm going to beat the rush and start worrying now about the 2020 game at USC.

Well, if one is unbiased, the truth is the roster is degrading rapidly.

If you wish to see SC’s usual 5* talent, look at CU, Ala. and LSU and Oregon.

Well, if one is unbiased, the truth is the roster is degrading rapidly.

If you wish to see SC’s usual 5* talent, look at CU, Ala. and LSU and Oregon.

USC's roster talent has NOT really degraded yet, at all. Their 2019 team is pretty loaded and doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

However, OL could be considered a timebomb.

I think DL could too, especially if anyone important were to get injured.

USC's roster talent has NOT really degraded yet, at all. Their 2019 team is pretty loaded and doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

However, OL could be considered a timebomb.

I think DL could too, especially if anyone important were to get injured.

go ask a SC fan! of course ND fans want to push that notion.

if SC is meh, then ND barely beat a mediocre team! can’t have that huh?

It's a simple fact, if you evaluate their roster for 2019.

2019 USC is a very talented team, with no real holes.....except at HC.

geez, go away. if you can’t be objective why pretend!
go-sell that on the SC board!

geez, go away. if you can’t be objective why pretend!
go-sell that on the SC board!

That's purely objective.

Simply review their roster and depth chart and it becomes undebateable that 2019 USC has virtually no holes....except at HC.

I get that this doesn't fit your narrative, but it's still fact.

That's purely objective.

Simply review their roster and depth chart and it becomes undebateable that 2019 USC has virtually no holes....except at HC.

I get that this doesn't fit your narrative, but it's still fact.

geez...look at the draft! look at the projected draft talent!
are you seriously that dumb?

go ask a SC fan! of course ND fans want to push that notion.

if SC is meh, then ND barely beat a mediocre team! can’t have that huh?
It's not like ND hasn't ever barely beaten anyone before. It's happened and you don''t see this board singing the praises of that opponent. Take the praise with a little humility and dignity. No one will think less of you.

geez...look at the draft! look at the projected draft talent!
are you seriously that dumb?

Look at what draft, the upcoming 2020 draft?
The 2021 draft?

Much of USC's talent isn't even draft eligible or is just starting for the 1st year
- QB Slovis
- LT Jackson
- DE Jackson
- DT Tuipulotu
- DT Tufele
- LB Gaoteote
- S Hufanga

That's before you even mention the LOADED units at WR, RB, etc.

These guys will all be NFL Draft Picks eventually, but they're too young/new to be "proejcted" by most talking heads.....who only focus on the next draft.

Again, this is the purely objective take.

It seems that you have a non-objective agenda.

Usc has a top 12 to 15 roster right now. Far from degrading rapidly. Man is that a far stretch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT