ADVERTISEMENT

Is this a positive or the sign of problems?

perseverare

All Star
May 24, 2010
from 247

won’t take over the defensive coordinator’s headset during games, nor will he stand on the practice field and oversee every rep players on the defense take over the course of 24 periods.

The seventh-year Notre Dame coach won’t shift complete control of the defense into his hands as he and the rest of his staff attempt to solve a multitude of problems that have emerged in the opening three games and led to the unit’s rankings in the nineties and one-hundreds in most major statistical categories.

"Kelly will alter the practice schedule in order to give his defense more opportunities to practice their tackling, a fundamental technique that has been a challenge for the group thus far.

On Tuesday Kelly made room for a 20-minute period where the defenders simulate a tackle by grabbing hold of the offensive player—known as thudding up—instead of blowing the play dead when a defender runs by his opponent.

“… .I'm going to do it to add more speed to the practice, and we're going to thud up so we can get from speed to power,” he said. “… .I'm just looking to coach better. So we're going to thud up everybody, which is going to put us in a power position on everything that we whistle off today.”

The speed-to-power technique is what Kelly has identified as the reason behind the numerous missed tackles that have plagued the Irish defense this season. Instead of approaching an opponent quickly and wrapping up the ball carrier, Kelly says his players’ bodies are “out of control.”"

pers, I do not think that is the problem. He lets coaches to do their craft.

I have a problem with it. If he's worried about hurting someone's feelings then that may be an issue also. I think the whole defensive side of the ball needs to be put on notice including the players. But, it's all about expectations. The "D" needs BKs full and undivided attention.

The lack of tackling in practice is an issue, but I know they are trying to prevent injuries and protect players.

I don't mind the lack of micromanagement. If you believe you have the right people in place, you shouldn't need to be involved more than 10% of the time. He must still believe the right people are in place :(

We've become a finesse team. We'd be a perfect fit in the Big 12 playing 45-42 shoot-outs every Saturday. BVG's "attacking" defense is partially to blame but it goes back to Kelly. He needs to promote a physical culture throughout a player's 4-5 years at ND, not just for 20 minutes after a loss.

Watch Washington play under Chris Petersen. They fly to the ball on defense and tackle hard. Must be all the 5-Stars he's recruited, right? Washington has actually dipped in recruiting rankings under Petersen. But his teams have great technique, and you can tell they hit year round, not just 12 times a year on Saturday's in the fall.

Last edited:
The 2 major problems of this defense are 1) poor fundamentals and 2) players don't understand the scheme.

Its going to be very, very difficult to shift defensive philosophy in the middle of the season.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
what struck me is that he does not fully 'recognize' that there is a problem, and then discusses his steps how to provide remedy. If he trusts his coaches then why is there a problem? If there is no problem, what are they trying to solve?

Poor technique or fundamentals in year 7, game 3 should be an eye opener.

Was none of this an issue during Fall camp? It just started up in the Texas game? He's the coach. He's the head man and he calls the shots but as a regular guy Irish fan, I'm not liking it.

what struck me is that he does not fully 'recognize' that there is a problem, and then discusses his steps how to provide remedy. If he trusts his coaches then why is there a problem? If there is no problem, what are they trying to solve?

Poor technique or fundamentals in year 7, game 3 should be an eye opener.
CsurZ_EUAAQD3hP.jpg:large

Was none of this an issue during Fall camp? It just started up in the Texas game? He's the coach. He's the head man and he calls the shots but as a regular guy Irish fan, I'm not liking it.
Its been a problem for 2 year and 3 games. The problem is they were always willing to fall back on excuses to forgive the terrible play. Hopefully BVG will the anchor that sinks Kelly's ship.

this idea that if Kelly takes over is going to change something on the D is nonsense As a manager you let your people do their job. 'if the results are piss poor then you get a new person to do the job. I guarantee Kelly is involved. I guarantee they ran tackling drills. These guys are not all the sudden going to get what the coaches are telling. The problem appears either a bad scheme for the personnel they have, some misses on recruiting, a bad scheme in general. i.e. misses on safety , misses on pressure ends. As someone else posted the talent is geared for a Diaco style approach.

this idea that if Kelly takes over is going to change something on the D is nonsense As a manager you let your people do their job. 'if the results are piss poor then you get a new person to do the job. I guarantee Kelly is involved. I guarantee they ran tackling drills. These guys are not all the sudden going to get what the coaches are telling. The problem appears either a bad scheme for the personnel they have, some misses on recruiting, a bad scheme in general. i.e. misses on safety , misses on pressure ends. As someone else posted the talent is geared for a Diaco style approach.
... and if your managers don't do their jobs you fire them. Ultimately Kelly is responsible for it all and his coaches failures are his failures.

from 247

won’t take over the defensive coordinator’s headset during games, nor will he stand on the practice field and oversee every rep players on the defense take over the course of 24 periods.

The seventh-year Notre Dame coach won’t shift complete control of the defense into his hands as he and the rest of his staff attempt to solve a multitude of problems that have emerged in the opening three games and led to the unit’s rankings in the nineties and one-hundreds in most major statistical categories.

"Kelly will alter the practice schedule in order to give his defense more opportunities to practice their tackling, a fundamental technique that has been a challenge for the group thus far.

On Tuesday Kelly made room for a 20-minute period where the defenders simulate a tackle by grabbing hold of the offensive player—known as thudding up—instead of blowing the play dead when a defender runs by his opponent.

“… .I'm going to do it to add more speed to the practice, and we're going to thud up so we can get from speed to power,” he said. “… .I'm just looking to coach better. So we're going to thud up everybody, which is going to put us in a power position on everything that we whistle off today.”

The speed-to-power technique is what Kelly has identified as the reason behind the numerous missed tackles that have plagued the Irish defense this season. Instead of approaching an opponent quickly and wrapping up the ball carrier, Kelly says his players’ bodies are “out of control.”"

It wasn't long ago that you were touting Porky as a possible NFL GM...

Have you changed your opinion?

... and if your managers don't do their jobs you fire them. Ultimately Kelly is responsible for it all and his coaches failures are his failures.

that is the way its supposed to work in the long run

I'm not sure a public execution of BVG would bode well for attracting a new defensive coach.

USC publicly executed two coaches in a pretty short time period and it didn't exactly have guys pushing and shoving to be the next in line.

Kelly needs to talk about what a great coach BVG is and how he's got all the skills for a head coaching gig, In fact, BVG's NFL style system would thrive at USC. He should look into that, and Kelly, Jack, and the players should all support his efforts with glowing references.

Reactions: perseverare
He's ****ing stupid.

If he thinks thud is the answer ...thud is the exact reason why these kids can't tackle now.

Thud is used for one thing....to keep players from getting hurt at practice.
That is fine provided you'd team can tackle well.

Where we are defensively these kids need to go hot against live bodies going hot.

It's the most simplest of things to teach on football..but it requires constant revisiting of the craft. Our team is so horrible at tackling now they need to learn all over again how to tackle ...before they can even consider going thud.

Thud promotes horrible habits and this dumb ass wants to utilize it to RE teach his players how to tackle.
**** Brian Kelly

Notre Dame would be lucky for any other team to have him ;)

Yes, like children, we raise our supporting coaches with the hope they some day might leave the nest to forge their own path to success.

I'm sure that moment that will bring tears to our eyes as we waive goodbye.

at the Q&A pressers, I wonder what Kelly sees when he looks down from the podium?

He must see what he considers to be a room full of complete morons.

And since we now know he has staff monitor the social networks, the silence is deafening !

Last edited:
It's not just the coaching, was at the Nevada game and the talent level is just not there. Especially on the DL. The players were getting moved at will by Nevada. The LBs were out of position and the DBs were clueless. Yes, a lot is coaching, but do not look past the talent level on defense. We are just not that competitive. Quality is lacking there. It is what it is. This will be interesting at how recruiting will progress. How recruits react to the situation here and how Coach 8 & 4 may be on the way out in a few years. These death spirals are terrible things to be in. Just no way out until they blow the whole thing up.

Reactions: 88ND
not buying that 'spiral' contention, because ND could land 3 elite commits and that spiral is history.
Teams can rebound pretty quickly with a great recruiting class sandwiched between 2 good classes.

It's not just the coaching, was at the Nevada game and the talent level is just not there. Especially on the DL. The players were getting moved at will by Nevada. The LBs were out of position and the DBs were clueless. Yes, a lot is coaching, but do not look past the talent level on defense. We are just not that competitive. Quality is lacking there. It is what it is. This will be interesting at how recruiting will progress. How recruits react to the situation here and how Coach 8 & 4 may be on the way out in a few years. These death spirals are terrible things to be in. Just no way out until they blow the whole thing up.
While everyone can use more talent....including Bama etc....

Let me say this. Trumbetti went from being a high energy player causing some trouble for the offense. All that as a FRESHMAN.

If these players got only two ounces of coaching at the very least he'd be the same player he was then. At the very least.
Coke Luke...same thing.
Now they are empty jerseys.

I was thinking back to BVG and his players since he's been here.

Not one single player I can say with no doubt has progressed from Fr/So years to junior and senior years. Not one.

They only physically mature.

As a player they regress. That is the absolute most unnerving thing about BVG.

Studstill will be decent this year ... trust me in two years he will be Tranquil 2.0

Tranquil in his short time of healthy...he had so much promise. Now he's an empty jersey.

Joe Schmidt...I loved that guy but he got worse the longer he was here.

Jaylon was a physical freak. He left us all salivating after his fr. So. Years...did he wow us last year? Nope. He was more impactful when he was green.

See what I mean....let's fix the coaching and get it on the right track before we start evaluating talent that we once thought with our own eyes was good...and now an empty jersey.
BVG ..worst hire ever.

not buying that 'spiral' contention, because ND could land 3 elite commits and that spiral is history.
Teams can rebound pretty quickly with a great recruiting class sandwiched between 2 good classes.

Don't share that view. Coaching, atmosphere, culture and direction is the HC's job. 8 & 4 doesn't have the quality to make that happen. 3 elite commits? Really. Not now and not while he is here. He's been Peter Principled. The program is too far in with him and yet not far enough to jettison him. Momentum and hope have been halted. Now the program will just have to play the situation out and there is nothing that can be done but blow it up. Maybe after next season and the frustration of everyone forces the principals to call it quits. Until then, contribute more $$$ I guess.

Reactions: cgvr and 88ND
Don't share that view. Coaching, atmosphere, culture and direction is the HC's job. 8 & 4 doesn't have the quality to make that happen. 3 elite commits? Really. Not now and not while he is here. He's been Peter Principled. The program is too far in with him and yet not far enough to jettison him. Momentum and hope have been halted. Now the program will just have to play the situation out and there is nothing that can be done but blow it up. Maybe after next season and the frustration of everyone forces the principals to call it quits. Until then, contribute more $$$ I guess.

Agree w/ your assessment. ND is in a long football death spiral w/ BK. And the ND Admin (Swarbuck) will keep riding the Politicans ass as long as he can since he hired him. It may take another 2 or 3 seasons before they finally figure it out. And ND is not gonna pull another CW in that they let CW go when they still owed him like 5 years worth of $$ - they will want to save some face and when they let BK go - their hope is that he only has 2 or maybe 3 years left on his contract so it does not look so bad like the embarrassment they had w/ CW.

BK is just good enough as a coach to not let it get so bad like CW did. But, the writing is on the wall - he is barely an above average coach and as long as ND fans and ND admin are fine with 8 wins a year - he aint going anywhere.

IMO Kelly stays, BVG goes.
If I were Jack this would be Kelly's last season regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

As I've pointed out this is Kelly's 7th year which is longer than any other coach besides great's like; Holtz, Ara and Leahy. This job seems to wear a coach down and that won't improve his coaching. 7 years is a long run at ND, nothing to be ashamed of but it's time for ND and Kelly to move on.

Agree w/ your assessment. ND is in a long football death spiral w/ BK. And the ND Admin (Swarbuck) will keep riding the Politicans ass as long as he can since he hired him. It may take another 2 or 3 seasons before they finally figure it out. And ND is not gonna pull another CW in that they let CW go when they still owed him like 5 years worth of $$ - they will want to save some face and when they let BK go - their hope is that he only has 2 or maybe 3 years left on his contract so it does not look so bad like the embarrassment they had w/ CW.

BK is just good enough as a coach to not let it get so bad like CW did. But, the writing is on the wall - he is barely an above average coach and as long as ND fans and ND admin are fine with 8 wins a year - he aint going anywhere.

has Kelly lost the fan base?

Let's hope the 'buyout' is not a one sided as the Weis buyout! Else, why let White leave? Could Jack have gotten as fleeced?

Last edited:

No. Ten years ago yes...but what BK makes is peanuts. It's nothing really. Funny money.

Seriously...
The Los Angeles clippers were just purchased for 2 BILLION ...yes..Billion.

The clippers.

$$ today is just funny money. Play money. If he needs dismissed or held onto ...the decision will bot be influenced by $$$$

I have a problem with it. If he's worried about hurting someone's feelings then that may be an issue also. I think the whole defensive side of the ball needs to be put on notice including the players. But, it's all about expectations. The "D" needs BKs full and undivided attention.

Agree - If the D was playing at an acceptable level then as HC, just leave well enough alone.

But going back to the last 2 games of 2015 (Stanford and OSU) and now into this season the D is not working and BVG doesn't seem to have the answers.......someone has to step in and get the job done!

Kelly needs to be more concerned about getting the job done on D rather than worrying about someone's feelings etc. (he owes it to the team, the University and even, to some degree, the fans).

If I were Jack this would be Kelly's last season regardless of what happens the rest of the season.

As I've pointed out this is Kelly's 7th year which is longer than any other coach besides great's like; Holtz, Ara and Leahy. This job seems to wear a coach down and that won't improve his coaching. 7 years is a long run at ND, nothing to be ashamed of but it's time for ND and Kelly to move on.

Java Good Points!

Kelly just got an extension. I just do not see tat happening. I agree 7 years is plenty of time. My guess the only way Kelly goes if Jack S goes or Kelly impacts Jack's relationship with the BOT. The way that would happen is this season becomes a total disaster and / or Kelly's next DC hire is a disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT