ADVERTISEMENT

Is the whole world wrong Tyler James

huff60

Irish Expert
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Thank you for your very informative recruitment update. ND looks good but of course there are concerns. And what is the biggest?
Virtually every position has solid recruits . But one . Again . Quarterback. And once again, everyone is left to ‘ accept ‘ repeated deficiencies in the most important position and not blame Rees who apparently, again, gathered all his eggs into one basket ( Moore)
When does it end?

• Haha
Reactions: pem55
Buchner is going to surprise a lot of people. The kid is going to have a breakout year. All the negative Nancy's on here are going to be eating crow.
All?

It’s a vocal minority.

If Buckner has a great year, fine. The question is a little different though.. And this is not my take. This is almost universally asked? Why can’t ND seem to land a highly thought of QB annually?
That is unfair to ask?

If Buckner has a great year, fine. The question is a little different though.. And this is not my take. This is almost universally asked? Why can’t ND seem to land a highly thought of QB annually?
That is unfair to ask?
How about Angeli and Carr? I believe the worm has turned and am looking forward to the future.

Buchner is going to surprise a lot of people. The kid is going to have a breakout year. All the negative Nancy's on here are going to be eating crow.
Why are people castigated as nervous nancys for stating the obvious ? Tommy Rees recruiting of QBs has not been stellar. The Dante Moore recruitment was a mess.

Why are people castigated as nervous nancys for stating the obvious ? Tommy Rees recruiting of QBs has not been stellar. The Dante Moore recruitment was a mess.
Don't give Freeman a pass on this....if you wouldn't give Kelly one....and I don't. Freeman has to make sure that recruiting and landing quarterbacks is a constant, top priority.

That is unfair to ask?
Because we’ve brought in a number of highly rated guys, Crist, Wimbush, Kizer, etc etc and have not developed them. when was the last time a ND qb won an nfl game. Not one qb of significance in the league since Steve Berlien? Quinn , to my surprise, was a total bust, Kizer, Clausen—bust. And this year Rees is recruiting against other OC’s HC who can point to guys they have developed and are in the league. Is it a surprise that Alabama can land 2 top 100 qbs with bill O’Brien or that sarkisian and Riley can pick their qb’s. Rees, to this point, has no track record of development. For the same reason it’s easy for us to bring in highly rated TE’s or OL, (we have a track record of development ), it’s easy for other schools to bring in qb’s. No highly rated kid wants to be Rees’ beta test site. We’ll see with Carr, but a 2024 commit means pretty much zero right now.

Gosh, I hope you are right about Buchner ND in NJ. A lot of people I respect, many on this site, think he is going to be very good. I have seen a lot of TB and just do not yet see it. I am hopeful that one of the 3 will step forward--and he will get the first chance. The rest of the team is loaded.

/s/Nancy

Reactions: tbonesays
How about Angeli and Carr? I believe the worm has turned and am looking forward to the future.
54-10 the last five seasons with two CFB playoff berths. Depth chart is overall strong, current 2023 and 2024 recruiting, led by a damn good recruiting staff, is damn good.

Well thought of 2023 LB Jaiden Ausberry will say hello tonight.

Yes, the “...worm has turned” since 4-8.

Last edited:
Because we’ve brought in a number of highly rated guys, Crist, Wimbush, Kizer, etc etc and have not developed them. when was the last time a ND qb won an nfl game. Not one qb of significance in the league since Steve Berlien? Quinn , to my surprise, was a total bust, Kizer, Clausen—bust. And this year Rees is recruiting against other OC’s HC who can point to guys they have developed and are in the league. Is it a surprise that Alabama can land 2 top 100 qbs with bill O’Brien or that sarkisian and Riley can pick their qb’s. Rees, to this point, has no track record of development. For the same reason it’s easy for us to bring in highly rated TE’s or OL, (we have a track record of development ), it’s easy for other schools to bring in qb’s. No highly rated kid wants to be Rees’ beta test site. We’ll see with Carr, but a 2024 commit means pretty much zero right now.
Bama had no record of developing QBs until the last few years…prior it was all about their defense and RBs

let’s see how Tyler does this year

Reactions: NDinNJ
The current quarterback roster is thin. If ND doesn't sign a quarterback this year...it will be even thinner next year. We are at the point where its "poaching or bust".....that was self-inflicted.

The current quarterback roster is thin. If ND doesn't sign a quarterback this year...it will be even thinner next year. We are at the point where its "poaching or bust".....that was self-inflicted.
How so ? Are you saying they were not recruiting quarterbacks ? Not landing one is much different than not recruiting one. The sky is NOT falling.

Lincoln Riley got his QB studs from the transfer portal, as did several winners of the national championship. I predict many talented QBs will enter every year.

That is unfair to ask?
Well when you shop down a different aisle, you get a different outcome. It's Freeman's first recruiting class as Head Coach, he landed Carr for 24, lost out on Moore for 23. Even Alabama, Clemson, Georgia don't get highly thought of QB's annually.

It doesn't look good when Bama has two top ten guys and ND has none. I really don't understand why they stayed solely with Moore for so long. The concept of a silent commit should be removed from recruiting vocabulary. Absolutely none of our 2023 and 2024 classes are committed until they sign a LOI.

Freeman and Rees need to consider a recruit visiting other schools as an indication that they are NOT committed fully to ND. It should be made very clear that if you keep looking, so will ND.

I do believe the above comment about the transfer portal is correct. It's a new world and even Bama is not going to keep two top ten freshmen happy for very long. These kids expect to play and will move on if they don't.

Neither Freeman nor Rees has proven anything to this point. Freeman is the shiny new toy and Rees is a guy finally out from under Kelly's control. Time will tell.

Reactions: Rionegro
It's not thin. We have 3 qbs

We should have the same 3 next year and maybe a 23 recruit

How so ? Are you saying they were not recruiting quarterbacks ? Not landing one is much different than not recruiting one. The sky is NOT falling.
It appears that ND was "verballed" to D. Moore...but Moore wasn't committed. The issue is that ND put itself in a position to slow play other viable quarterback recruits while waiting on Moore. It backfired....Yes, there were other offers out there...but ND did not prioritize them in real time....and it was no secret.

It's not thin. We have 3 qbs

We should have the same 3 next year and maybe a 23 recruit
"Thin" as in....thin in numbers and thin in game experience. The 2023 quarterbacks are, for the most part, committed. The same effort to land one now (not named Moore) should have happened 3 months ago.

Well when you shop down a different aisle, you get a different outcome. It's Freeman's first recruiting class as Head Coach, he landed Carr for 24, lost out on Moore for 23. Even Alabama, Clemson, Georgia don't get highly thought of QB's annually.
Ian Book was 30-5 as a starter and played in two CFB playoffs, he was indeed found on a “different aisle.”

And frankly, if Brian Kelly had Patrick Mahomes playing QB against Alabama two seasons ago the result would have been no different.

Ian Book was 30-5 as a starter and played in two CFB playoffs, he was indeed found on a “different aisle.”

And frankly, if Brian Kelly had Patrick Mahomes playing QB against Alabama two seasons ago the result would have been no different.
If we had patrick Mahomes in 2018 vs Clemson we'd have had a chance. There were opportunities to be had

He was a good qb.

We need an elite one.

Hopefully that's Buch

Reactions: Shank-O
Thank you for your very informative recruitment update. ND looks good but of course there are concerns. And what is the biggest?
Virtually every position has solid recruits . But one . Again . Quarterback. And once again, everyone is left to ‘ accept ‘ repeated deficiencies in the most important position and not blame Rees who apparently, again, gathered all his eggs into one basket ( Moore)
When does it end?

who’s Tyler James?

Yawn!!

He was a good qb.

We need an elite one.

Hopefully that's Buch
QB is not the only issue keeping up with Nick Saban and Alabama to beat them and win a title. It’s not as simple as that.

QB is not the only issue keeping up with Nick Saban and Alabama to beat them and win a title. It’s not as simple as that.
Never said it was.

It is the most important one.

Corner and WR are the next 2

Corner and Wr recruiting is improving

Different aisle? There’s 4 6.1 qb’s and we‘ve offered every one of them. Currently we have offered the same # of 5 stars as Bama. Every football power shops down the same aisle or you don’t compete at the highest level

It's not hard to beat up on teams with inferior talent. How did he perform against the elites when it mattered? i'll give him the one win vs clemson with a number of their star athletes out .

It's not hard to beat up on teams with inferior talent. How did he perform against the elites when it mattered? i'll give him the one win vs clemson with a number of their star athletes out .
Your narrative means Nick Saban hasn’t accomplished anything in CFB. His opponents have “inferior talent” in virtually every game they play.

Name all the great starting NFL QBS from Alabama in last 10 years.

Your narrative means Nick Saban hasn’t accomplished anything in CFB. His opponents have “inferior talent” in virtually every game they play.
He beat other elite teams. He's won in the playoffs, BCS championship games. Something that eluded Kelly because he was happy shopping down a different aisle. If you can't see the difference than i can't help you.

If you want a better comparison look at Clemson. They don't have the talent Alabama has, yet they managed to win 2 championships in 5 years.

He beat other elite teams. He's won in the playoffs, BCS championship games. Something that eluded Kelly because he was happy shopping down a different aisle. If you can't see the difference than i can't help you.

If you want a better comparison look at Clemson. They don't have the talent Alabama has, yet they managed to win 2 championships in 5 years.
Virtually every game Alabama plays, Saban's talent is better. And the reason Alabama talent is better are for reasons that Notre Dame simply won't do or match.

And when the Clemson talent pool dried up last season, 9-3 was the result. Funny how that works.

Virtually every game Alabama plays, Saban's talent is better. And the reason Alabama talent is better are for reasons that Notre Dame simply won't do or match.

And when the Clemson talent pool dried up last season, 9-3 was the result. Funny how that works.
We can get that talent or close to it with this staff. If they can win in the field we will be top 5 recruiting every single year with a lot of top 3s in there

Clemsons talent didnt dry up. They had a QB issue. If they had TL last year they wouldve won 11 or 12 games again

We can get that talent or close to it with this staff. If they can win in the field we will be top 5 recruiting every single year with a lot of top 3s in there

Clemsons talent didnt dry up. They had a QB issue. If they had TL last year they wouldve won 11 or 12 games again
Pay elite players up front and do not make them go to class.

That would help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT