ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Marcus Freeman's Notre Dame Football Recruiting Overhaul

Dec 7, 2007

Nice story on ESPN about the changes Marcus Freeman has brought to ND's recruiting efforts. While those efforts haven't paid off quite yet in terms of high visibility results, the energy, organization and determination MF has brought to the recruiting game are plainly evident. I think once we hit with a few more big names, maybe the door will open wider. Keeping Deuce Knight in the fold would go a long way there, although how that recruitment will end up is still up in the air. But you have to applaud the effort Freeman is making.

Nice story on ESPN about the changes Marcus Freeman has brought to ND's recruiting efforts. While those efforts haven't paid off quite yet in terms of high visibility results, the energy, organization and determination MF has brought to the recruiting game are plainly evident. I think once we hit with a few more big names, maybe the door will open wider. Keeping Deuce Knight in the fold would go a long way there, although how that recruitment will end up is still up in the air. But you have to applaud the effort Freeman is making.
Thanks for the link

Basically a puff piece that used a lot of flowery words to describe NDs recruiting classes. It was an article on Notre Dame's improved recruiting initiatives in recent years but there hasn't really been any improvement in terms of the results so this article was cringe to read.

Some interesting nuggets of info from the article:
  • Former football director of player personnel Dave Peloquin now carries a "strategic initiatives" title, guiding the school's overall NIL efforts from within the athletic department.
  • Notre Dame is set to add Pro Football Focus analyst Anthony Treash to "modernize player evaluations" my guess is that he'll be focusing on transfer portal scouting.
  • ND expanded from 6 staff members to 10 staff members who focus on recruiting after Freeman was promoted to head coach.
  • and a quote from Brian Polian that Notre Dame is coming around on NIL on the recruiting trail

Last edited:
Basically a puff piece that used a lot of flowery words to describe NDs recruiting classes. It was an article on Notre Dame's improved recruiting initiatives in recent years but there hasn't really been any improvement in terms of the results so this article was cringe to read.

• Former football director of player personnel Dave Peloquin now carries a "strategic initiatives" title, guiding the school's overall NIL efforts from within the athletic department.
  • Notre Dame is set to add Pro Football Focus analyst Anthony Treash to "modernize player evaluations" my guess is that he'll be focusing on transfer portal scouting.
  • ND expanded from 6 staff members to 10 staff members who focus on recruiting after Freeman was promoted to head coach.
  • and a quote from Brian Polian that Notre Dame is coming around on NIL on the recruiting trail
Yeah, there's already been articles showing the improvements. You just refuse to believe it because it doesn't fit your narrative

Just like the articles on NDs NFL draft talent. All the articles are wrong except for your opinion. The improvement in recruiting, the NFL draft talent, the amount of money being spent.

It's all wrong and puff pieces because it doesn't fit your narrative

You keep being proven a fraud

Yeah, there's already been articles showing the improvements. You just refuse to believe it because it doesn't fit your narrative

Just like the articles on NDs NFL draft talent. All the articles are wrong except for your opinion. The improvement in recruiting, the NFL draft talent, the amount of money being spent.

It's all wrong and puff pieces because it doesn't fit your narrative

You keep being proven a fraud
It's simple data bro:

Last 5 years of recruiting classes according to 247 composite:

2021: #9
2022: #7
2023: #12
2024: #9
2025: #8 (projected top 15 finish)

Where's the improvement?

You can write 3,000 word articles about improved recruiting since MF was promoted to HC but if it doesn't bear out in the results then its a pointless puff piece

Recruiting was better in 2021 & 2022 than it is in the previous 2.5 cycles even.

Not to mention the fact that ND has made zero progress on the tier 1 monopolization of high 4 star and 5 star talent.

Last edited:
It's simple data bro:

Where's the improvement?

You can write 3,000 word articles about improved recruiting since MF was promoted to HC but if its not bore out in the results then its a pointless puff piece
247 composite points

MFs 22, 23 and 24 classes would rank 2nd, 3rd and 4th between his and Kelly's classes.

So Kelly in 12 years had 1 class ranked above MF and everyone else below them.

That 3 year stretch of 22-24 is the best combined points stretch since Weis

You are a fraud.

It's simple data, BRO

In other words, the article did not continuously slam ND like chase does.

It's simple data bro:

Where's the improvement?

You can write 3,000 word articles about improved recruiting since MF was promoted to HC but if it doesn't bear out in the results then its a pointless puff piece

Recruiting was better in 2021 & 2022 than it is in the previous 2.5 cycles even.

Not to mention the fact that ND has made zero progress on the tier 1 monopoly of high 4 star and 5 star talent.

Stop following ND. Stop following ND. Stop following ND.

"You can only talk about Notre Dame Football on this Notre Dame Football message board if you ignore all of the data and evidence out there and toe the company line"

"You can only be a notre dame fan if you follow the sheeple over the cliff"

Chase: hates everything about ND. He hates the administration. He hates the coaching staff. He hates the players. He hates the recruiting. He hates the alums. He hates the fans. Why he pretends to be an ND fan is beyond me.

Puff piece? Like the ESPN piece of your boy Deion last year that predicted possible playoff aspirations? Don’t recall you labeling it a “puff piece”. You are quite bigoted

Reactions: NDinNJ and Pennick4
It's simple data bro:

Where's the improvement?

Not to mention the fact that ND has made zero progress on the tier 1 monopoly of high 4 star and 5 star talent.
Cherry picking data….voter polls can use you

Reactions: NDinNJ

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But The QB room is stacked presently and the future is bright with or without Duece!

Reactions: NDSMC78
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But The QB room is stacked presently and the future is bright with or without Duece!
Deuce Knight.

"...stacked." I hope so.

Last edited:
QB Depth Chart:
Riley: 4 star (transfer)
Angeli: 3 star
Minchey: 4 star
Carr: high 4 star

Got a bunch of Bs at QB but little to no star power. Carr might be more than a B but who knows. Adding DK (#30 overall player in 247 composite) would add to the upside of the QB room in a desperate way.

At some point ND fans have to accept the fact that its really hurting the program when ND loses their best prospects in their recruiting classes seemingly every cycle. Or looked at in another way: ND fans have to accept the fact that its really hurting the program when ND fails to recruit high 4 star and 5 star talent in the same way their competitors/peers are able to.

Last edited:
The loser returned.

Someone read what he wrote.

Golson---you should be next.

QB Depth Chart:
Riley: 4 star (transfer)
Angeli: 3 star
Minchey: 4 star
Carr: high 4 star

Got a bunch of Bs at QB but little to no star power. Carr might be more than a B but who knows. Adding DK (#30 overall player in 247 composite) would add to the upside of the QB room in a desperate way.

At some point ND fans have to accept the fact that its really hurting the program when ND loses their best prospects in their recruiting classes.

Just stop with your nonsense. You are nothing but a pants wetter. You are beyond tiresome.

When people can't discuss/counter the content of the posts, this is what the discussion turns into:

derail discussion
obfuscation
personal attacks
etc.

I dont need to do any of that because i got facts on my side. Happy to actually debate the merits of the content/points being made in my posts without all the off topic personal attacks and toxicity if possible.

When people can't discuss/counter the content of the posts, this is what the discussion turns into:

derail discussion
obfuscation
personal attacks
etc.

I dont need to do any of that because i got facts on my side. Happy to actually debate the merits of the content/points being made in my posts without all the off topic personal attacks and toxicity if possible.

Nonsense. You have no facts. All you present are opinions. And because you detest everything about ND, you always post negative opinions about ND.
Many have encouraged you to find another school to pull for. Do so now before the start of the season.

Nonsense. You have no facts. All you present are opinions. And because you detest everything about ND, you always post negative opinions about ND.
Many have encouraged you to find another school to pull for. Do so now before the start of the season.
Attaboy.

Feed the troll.

The loser returned.

Someone read what he wrote.

Golson---you should be next.
Agree or disagree with Golson’s opinions, but he brings objective facts and knowledge of football to these discussions; whereas Chase brings neither.

Reactions: IrishMike409

derail discussion
obfuscation
personal attacks
etc.

Please keep providing your wealth of numerically scientific driven data analysis to highlight the program s progression and deficiencies !

derail discussion
obfuscation
personal attacks
etc.

I appreciate that you keep it respectful. I find that you’re not open to honest debate or back and forth. Perhaps you just missed it, but I asked you about BYU F+ and didn’t get a response. Seems to me like you’ll just ignore whatever counterarguments are presented and then just go as if your way is automatically correct.

Reactions: NDSMC78

It looks like Freeman is pulling in between 2 or 3 more premier players a year than Kelly did. I'm not sure what that amounts to -- but it's something.

Given your consistently DIM VIEW of ND's recruiting -- and make no mistake, I consider much of ND's approach to the sport since Holtz's departure akin to a ONE-LEGGED ASS KICKING CONTEST -- HOW MANY MORE PREMIER PLAYERS do you think ND needs to recruit annually to achieve PARITY with recent NC winners?

I'm just curious as to what your parameters are as this is a subject in which I have NO EXPERTISE.

My other observation is that an article like this that just treats recruiting is presenitng a GROSSLY INCOMPLETE picture given the current role of the transfer portal, in which ND, ranked 56th, is by NO MEANS a standout.

My sense is that there should be a way to QUANTIFY all of this as opposed to claims and counterclaims that highlight PHILOSOPHICAL DIFFERENCES as much as anything.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
It looks like Freeman is pulling in between 2 or 3 more premier players a year than Kelly did. I'm not sure what that amounts to -- but it's something.

Given your consistently DIM VIEW of ND's recruiting -- and make no mistake, I consider much of ND's approach to the sport since Holtz's departure akin to a ONE-LEGGED ASS KICKING CONTEST -- HOW MANY MORE PREMIER PLAYERS do you think ND needs to recruit annually to achieve PARITY with recent NC winners?

I'm just curious as to what your parameters are as this is a subject in which I have NO EXPERTISE.

My other observation is that an article like this that just treats recruiting is presenitng a GROSSLY INCOMPLETE picture given the current role of the transfer portal, in which ND, ranked 56th, is by NO MEANS a standout.

My sense is that there should be a way to QUANTIFY all of this as opposed to claims and counterclaims that highlight PHILOSOPHICAL DIFFERENCES as much as anything.
I wrote a post on this very topic a few days ago (the talent disparity at ND): https://notredame.forums.rivals.com...ay-for-nd-football.191758/page-3#post-3800919 (but wrote it without including the data because its been referenced so much in the past going back years -- its common knowledge)

All of this stuff im talking about is quantified for the most part. 247 has comprehensive data on prospect rankings, and team recruiting rankings going back decades.

The teams that are in the tier 1 in recruiting (the modern and historic powers in the sport) are monopolizing the high 4 star and 5 star talent at NDs expense. ND is lucky to get 1-2 players of this quality (or so it seems) while their peers are signing sometimes up to as much as half of their class of players of this quality (many of them of the highest quality in the top 100) and then ND fans are expecting ND to go out and win football games against these teams.

Ive been kicking around the idea of using some kind of pie chart charting just the 247 top 100 composite prospects and where they are committing just to show how small NDs sliver of this pie is over the last 15 years in relation to their competition. One of these days i'll get around to it because it highlights a massive problem that *must* be fixed in order to realistically compete at the highest level of the sport.

Total team talent ranking (goes back to 2015): https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/
247 composite recruiting class ranking (goes back decades): https://247sports.com/season/2024-football/compositeteamrankings/

If you spend time clicking through 247 football recruiting databases there's all sorts of interesting information that allows you to size up the football program in relation to their peers.

Last edited:
I wrote a post on this very topic a few days ago (the talent disparity at ND): https://notredame.forums.rivals.com...ay-for-nd-football.191758/page-3#post-3800919 (but wrote it without including the data because its been referenced so much in the past going back years -- its common knowledge)

All of this stuff im talking about is quantified for the most part. 247 has comprehensive data on prospect rankings, and team recruiting rankings going back decades.

The teams that are in the tier 1 in recruiting (the modern and historic powers in the sport) are monopolizing the high 4 star and 5 star talent at NDs expense. ND is lucky to get 1-2 players of this quality (or so it seems) while their peers are signing sometimes up to as much as half of their class of players of this quality (many of them of the highest quality in the top 100) and then ND fans are expecting ND to go out and win football games against these teams.

Ive been kicking around the idea of using some kind of pie chart charting just the 247 top 100 composite prospects and where they are committing just to show how small NDs sliver of this pie is over the last 15 years. One of these days i'll get around to it because it highlights a massive problem that *must* be fixed in order to realistically compete at the highest level of the sport.

Total team talent ranking (goes back to 2015): https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/
247 composite recruiting class ranking (goes back decades): https://247sports.com/season/2024-football/compositeteamrankings/

If you spend time clicking through 247 football recruiting databases there's all sorts of interesting information that allows you to size up the football program in relation to their peers.
So, am I correct in saying that your contention is that ND is getting between 10% to 20% of the number of the very best players that dominant powers are getting?

Because if that's true, that's more than a MATERIAL ADVANTAGE. If you can actually demonstrate that, then what will anyone be able to say to dispute it? But then, anything less than PROOF won't do, and the argument will go on INTERMINABLY. But then, I'm not sure if you actually want to win your point or just keep MAKING IT.

Here's MY point:

If YOUR POINT is correct, I can't see ND doing anything remotely adequate to lessen that talent disparity in a way that would result in its ACHIEVING PARITY.

What I see ND doing, as it always does, is applying its DOCTRINE -- and let's face it, ND's approach to CFB is a one-trick pony -- in the hope of the stars aligning closely enough at some point for it to be able to pull an NC rabbit out of the hat.

In the meantime, as long as it can remain reasonably in the hunt with its current slate of recruits -- or, assuming better fortune, one that features 2 or 3 more potential difference makers, thanks to Freeman -- it will call that HOLDING SERVE while hoping that its own LESS THAN ZINGER serve is enough to keep play going.

In other words, I don't see what you're asking for -- and despite the best intentions -- as REMOTELY DELIVERABLE.

It would be like the Pope declaring himself a Presbyterian.

(No offense, ARA.)

Last edited:
So, am I correct in saying that your contention is that ND is getting between 10% to 20% of the number of the very best players that dominant powers are getting?

Because if that's true, that's more than a MATERIAL ADVANTAGE. If you can actually demonstrate that, then what will anyone be able to say to dispute it? But then, anything less than PROOF won't do, and the argument will go on INTERMINABLY. But then, I'm not sure if you actually want to win your point or just keep MAKING IT.

Here's MY point:

If YOUR POINT is correct, I can't see ND doing anything remotely adequate to lessen that talent disparity in a way that would result in its ACHIEVING PARITY.

What I see ND doing, as it always does, is applying its DOCTRINE -- and let's face it, ND's approach to CFB is a one-trick pony -- in the hope of the stars aligning closely enough at some point for it to be able to pull an NC rabbit out of the hat.

In the meantime, as long as it can remain reasonably in the hunt with its current slate of recruits -- or, assuming better fortune, one that features 2 or 3 more potential difference makers, thanks to Freeman -- it will call that HOLDING SERVE while hoping that its own LESS THAN ZINGER serve is enough to keep play going.

In other words, I don't see what you're asking for -- and despite the best intentions -- as REMOTELY DELIVERABLE.

It would be like the Pope declaring himself a Presbyterian.

(No offense, ARA.)
We've already gotten into debates on this.

I referenced Weis recruiting (ergo 2005-2009) which was significantly better than anything since (several top 5 classes/at or on the border of the top 5). I referenced NDs 100+ year history of being an institution that has historically dominated in recruiting.

ND also makes as much money if not more than all of those guys at the top of the recruiting rankings ( if the publications that report on revenues are to be believed ).

I dont see why ND can't recruit as well as their peers in 2024 and beyond.

I referenced Weis recruiting (ergo 2005-2009) which was significantly better than anything since (several top 5 classes/at or on the border of the top 5). I referenced NDs 100+ year history of being an institution that has historically dominated in recruiting.
This is why your entire claim is full of holes. Charlie Weis had a terrible record. If recruiting was the be all and end all, Charlie Weis would have been a great coach. He was not.

Reactions: NDinNJ
We need to sign classes ranked 6-10 4yrs in a row and have less transfers / drops than the tier 1. Less kids declaring pro earlier than tier 1. We need an older team. Then we can win it all. And we need a qb. And we need good coordinators.

We will probably never be a team again loaded with elite sophomores and juniors that win it all (like Florida and USC of the past, Georgia currently).

We've already gotten into debates on this.

ND also makes as much money if not more than all of those guys at the top of the recruiting rankings ( if the publications that report on revenues are to be believed ).

I dont see why ND can't recruit as well as their peers in 2024 and beyond.
You DON'T see the difference between ND and the major programs that currently dominate?

You see no STURCTURAL DIFFERENCES that might keep ND from going toe to toe with them?

In my opinion, that would require OVERLOOKING a lot.

Your focus on recruiting seems LASER SHARP, but there's a whole REMAINDER OF A BATTLEFIELD out there that you're not addressing.

How do you view those other factors, or do you simply deny CATEGORICALLY that they exist?

For instance, when Urban Meyer -- back when -- asked for two or three BLUE-CHIP RINGERS a year, did ND not back away?

My sense is that ND doesn't wish to do what you're CLAIMING it could do easily if it were simply not ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.

I don't think ND is anywhere NEAR the wheel. And it's by design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
You DON'T see the difference between ND and the major programs that currently dominate?

You see no STURCTURAL DIFFERENCES that might keep ND from going toe to toe with them?

In my opinion, that would require OVERLOOKING a lot.

Your focus on recruiting seems LASER SHARP, but there's a whole REMAINDER OF A BATTLEFIELD out there that you're not addressing.

How do you view those other factors, or do you simply deny CATEGORICALLY that they exist?

For instance, when Urban Meyer -- back when -- asked for two or three BLUE-CHIP RINGERS a year, did ND not back away?

My sense is that ND doesn't wish to do what you're CLAIMING it could do easily if it were simply not ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL.

I don't think ND is anywhere NEAR the wheel. And it's by design.
Just a couple of cycles ago (Freeman's first class) we were favored for three 5* recruits and had at least 2 of them signed at one point or another (Keone Keeley and Peyton Bowen).

I dont know what mysterious barriers you are referring to. ND offers just as many of the top 100 as their peers do. ND grey shirts, sends out offers that are rescinded or not actionable, they make academic concessions for their athletes, they redshirt, they entice prospects with NIL, they have an NIL collective, they accept transfers, and do everything everybody else does already they are usually just really late to the party playing it ultra conservatively and safe (which is just bad leadership).

What evidence exists that ND isn't anywhere near the wheel?

I think the issue is incompetence, naivety, and just bad vision/strategic direction at the highest levels of the institution (athletic director, university president, and BoT level).

There's also just a lot of excuse making going on instead of being able to take criticism, self reflect, and adjust. (More bad leadership).

It's simple. Either you are providing the resources necessary to field a tier 1 football product or you are not. ND charges tier 1 football product money, make tier 1 football product revenues, and promise a tier 1 football product to their fans but have not delivered on that promise in decades.

When is the last time ND put together a national championship quality roster? What is the impediment specifically?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT