ADVERTISEMENT

If Oklahoma gets blown out does that mean that

No, we earned the right to be there, it's more that AL and Clemson are just that much better. Can ND ever get to that level? That I do not know, but my guess is no. Not with the obvious restrictions we have. Meaning, if you think the playing field is level, we'll its not

Maybe it means there should be no playoff. At least not this year.

Yes, that argument could be made
No it can’t. Only someone who slept through logic class makes that argument. The determination of who deserves and doesn’t deserve is made at decision time with the information available at that time. The results don’t change that.

they didn’t belong in the playoffs ?

Can't draw that conclusion from information thus provided. What remains is that OU earned their way in with a conf championship and winning a 13th game, a championship game. It might just mean ND would get beat much, much worse.

The playoff isn't supposed to be about who 'earns it' it's supposed to be an objective evaluation of who the four best teams in the country are.

My top 4:
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia

4. Oklahoma or Notre Dame

The top 3 teams were in their own tier though.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Can't draw that conclusion from information thus provided. What remains is that OU earned their way in with a conf championship and winning a 13th game, a championship game. It might just mean ND would get beat much, much worse.
And you're inferring that Oklahoma is better than ND in what way? Because they won the Big 12 - where defense is optional.

It's your opinion. Nothing more; nothing less.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
The playoff isn't supposed to be about who 'earns it' it's supposed to be an objective evaluation of who the four best teams in the country are.

My top 4:
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Georgia

4. Oklahoma or Notre Dame

The top 3 teams were in their own tier though.
GA lost by 20 to LSU and was really routed in the 2nd half by AL, so why do they belong?

GA lost by 20 to LSU and was really routed in the 2nd half by AL, so why do they belong?

You need to get the concept of 1 game meaning anything in college football out of your head. Anything can happen in one game. Georgia had one bad game vs LSU that doesn't mean they are not one of the best teams in the country. Look at the data in their other 12 games during the season.

The ol’ conference championship line. LOL. Good one. Because all the playoff teams prior to this year won their conference title or played in it! Wait, nope. Nice try dumbass.

You need to get the concept of 1 game meaning anything in college football out of your head. Anything can happen in one game. Georgia had one bad game vs LSU that doesn't mean they are not one of the best teams in the country. Look at the data in their other 12 games during the season.
And ND had one bad game today

Well Chase, if one game doesn't mean anything then you shouldn't be so hard about today's loss. ND had one bad game vs. Clemson, so that doesn't mean they are not one of the best teams in the country.

After all, anything can happen in one game.

The ol’ conference championship line. LOL. Good one. Because all the playoff teams prior to this year won their conference title or played in it! Wait, nope. Nice try dumbass.

Well, we can go back to the BCS format where it was all subjective. Wait, nope. Nobody liked that.

If you want objective, ND didn't earn its way in. As we saw. Nice try, intellegent erudite young man.

And ND had one bad game today

When i say look at the data i don't mean the overall score in one game, i mean break down every drive every game during the season and compare it to the success/failure of every team in the country. We have tools that give us this kind of insight already.

Georgia was a much better team. Almost every statistical model had Georgia as a better team after evaluating EVERY DOWN played by both teams. Saban is glad Georgia isn’t around.

Also, despite the 500 posts from posters like @88ND (wonder if he’s changed his tune about Alabama being a clearly domiant team and the SEC in general and about an ND/Oklahoma Final) saying the SEC isn’t better and it’s all hype and Alabama hasn’t beaten anyone and the 2nd tier of the SEC isn’t anything (Auburn and Purdue and Florida and Michigan disagree), you can see the clear, clear difference.

Georgia would have rolled OU, too.

I was hoping this would be an announcement for the silver medal game

And you're inferring that Oklahoma is better than ND in what way? Because they won the Big 12 - where defense is optional.

It's your opinion. Nothing more; nothing less.

The OP raised the issue of opinions, not me. I'm the one who said the results of the game dont say anything objective, so in that we agree. My point is that the playoff format is supposed to take opinions out of it, and that the Committee overrides objectivity with subjectivey by including any team that doesn't have to win a conf championship by playing in a 13th championship game. Or we can go back to the BCS, which for some reason no one liked. Only ND wants to stand on both sides of that fence.

One of the unique things about college football is one game can mean everything. It’s very unforgiving for losses. Georgia would have easily survived losing to Bama. They didn’t survive laying an egg at LSU.

The OP raised the issue of opinions, not me. I'm the one who said the results of the game dont say anything objective, so in that we agree. My point is that the playoff format is supposed to take opinions out of it, and that the Committee overrides objectivity with subjectivey by including any team that doesn't have to win a conf championship by playing in a 13th championship game. Or we can go back to the BCS, which for some reason no one liked. Only ND wants to stand on both sides of that fence.
Bama has won two championships in years where they didn’t even play in the seccg. No magic in a 13th game. Who’s to say Austin Peay wasn’t Georgia’s 13th game? Or Middle Tennessee?

Bama has won two championships in years where they didn’t even play in the seccg. No magic in a 13th game. Who’s to say Austin Peay wasn’t Georgia’s 13th game? Or Middle Tennessee?

The 13th game is a conference championship game, though I agree ND is likely to schedule Austin Peay if a random 13th game is required.

In the year when Alabama didn't earn its way into the seccg (it was only one in the Playoff era, not two), I don't think they should have been invited. It was the subjectivity of the BCS we didn't like, and if a playoff is to make it more objective they shouldn't have been invited. If you don't win your conference you don't need to be in the Playoff, unless subjectivity again rules, in which case ND should not have been this year. Pick a side of the fence to stand on. Go win a conference, or admit that a 2 loss UGA should have been there instead.

The 13th game is a conference championship game, though I agree ND is likely to schedule Austin Peay if a random 13th game is required.

In the year when Alabama didn't earn its way into the seccg (it was only one in the Playoff era, not two), I don't think they should have been invited. It was the subjectivity of the BCS we didn't like, and if a playoff is to make it more objective they shouldn't have been invited. If you don't win your conference you don't need to be in the Playoff, unless subjectivity again rules, in which case ND should not have been this year. Pick a side of the fence to stand on. Go win a conference, or admit that a 2 loss UGA should have been there instead.
Winning a conference didn’t do anything to help Washington or Ohio State. They didn’t make it because they lost games they should have won. Just like UGA.

Winning a conference didn’t do anything to help Washington or Ohio State. They didn’t make it because they lost games they should have won. Just like UGA.

They didnt make it because a non conference winner was invited ahead of them, and we saw what happened there.

Georgia no more belonged in the playoffs than Washington. Coming here might be good therapy for Georgia fans, but it won't erase two loses in their two biggest games. That's all on the Georgia staff and players.

They didnt make it because a non conference winner was invited ahead of them, and we saw what happened there.
And last year the Big 12 and PAC 12 champs were at home, and the non conference winner was Alabama.

If Georgia wants to be in the playoff, don’t lose to a team that you are clearly better than. Not complicated.

And last year the Big 12 and PAC 12 champs were at home, and the non conference winner was Alabama.

If you want a vote for not inviting Alabama last year, count me in. That they won the Playoff is irrelevant: any one of four teams can win. If a team doesnt win its conference it doesnt need to be in the playoffs. With 5 conferences, even winning it is not a guarantee. When/if the field goes to 8 this conversation will be irrelevant, and we'll fuss about who was 'unfairly' ranked 9 and 10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT