ADVERTISEMENT

I was the original pioneer of the BVG style defense back in 1976.

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
On a brisk windy Thursday afternoon, in upstate New York, during the bicentennial year of 1976, a 14 year old freshman Defensive tackle decided to not rush the passer on third down and instead drop back into coverage and get his first of seven interceptions for that year. That young man with the innovative mind and good hands was none other than yours truly, Bodizephax.
My coach did not tell me to do it but I noticed on every third down (My Dline teammates and I always stuffed the run) that the Quarterbacks were always going back to pass and throwing little dink passes over the middle and since I was tall I just dropped back as soon as the ball was hiked and easily intercepted the ball. I got the nickname O.J because on one interception I ran about sixty yards while making all kinds of cuts and hurdles for an advancement of only ten yards. My coach said that if I just ran straight I would have scored a TD. When I go back to visit N.Y sometimes there are still a couple of my old friends who call me O.J.
*** Well anyway when I made the varsity my sophomore year I played Dend and in one game I decided to try dropping back into coverage again on a third down play.
I got yelled at by my Defensive coach asking me what the hell was I doing!! He told me that I wasn't a defensive back and that my job was to rush the passer ! I had to sit out the next series of downs as a punishment.
*** I guess I was just ahead of my time. I wonder how Rex Ryan found out about my exploits and use my idea for his defense?

Last edited:
Damn Bodi, we would have been 13-1 last year and sitting 3-0 this year if not for your damn 1976 epiphany.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Thanks for ruining it. Ha...

I'm betting one thing...your coach reaffirmed the importance of tackling on a routine basis.

Moreover ...I bet you were better as a senior than a freshman.

Imagine that

Bodi, 1976 ... guess I beat you to it.

Was a 160 pound freshman nose guard on my college team back in 1963. My instructions from the coach was to submarine into the backfield on every play and then look for the ball ... if it was a pass, I was then expected to back up into pass coverage (insane! since the guy I submarined under was probably sitting on me and out weighed me by a good 60 to 70 pounds.

Sad to say, we won 0 games in my first 2 years of college ball. Got a new HC during my junior year ... a former RB at Penn State ... saw great improvement in my last 2 years.

Bodi, 1976 ... guess I beat you to it.

Was a 160 pound freshman nose guard on my college team back in 1963. My instructions from the coach was to submarine into the backfield on every play and then look for the ball ... if it was a pass, I was then expected to back up into pass coverage (insane! since the guy I submarined under was probably sitting on me and out weighed me by a good 60 to 70 pounds.

Sad to say, we won 0 games in my first 2 years of college ball. Got a new HC during my junior year ... a former RB at Penn State ... saw great improvement in my last 2 years.
Congrats for playing college ball ! I never got passed highschool football. I played tackle football without pads in the Marines. Some Navy officer always would come by and tell us to stop tackling because someone would get hurt. We would then play touch until the officer would drive off and then play tackle again. Marines love violence !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT