ADVERTISEMENT

I am a ND fan that believes Kelly is the wrong guy for the job

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
To all the posters on this board that attack ND fans for wanting Kelly out, I have news for you. I have been a ND fan longer than coach Kelly. Kelly grew up a BC fan. He only became a ND fan when the checks came in. Am I saying you have to have grown up a fan of the team you are going to coach? No, of course not. What I am saying, as a lifelong ND fan, I have the right to want the best for ND. I truly believe Kelly is not the best. The posters on this board that are calling for Jack to fire Kelly, are life long ND fans. My Grandfather started the tradition of ND football in our family. Knute was talked about like a family member in our house.
If my Grandpa was alive today he would be leading the call of fire Kelly. Kelly has now made this team a middle of the pack ACC team. ND can compete with the Cuse, NC State, Wake, and I thought Duke. Teams like Louisville, Clemson are head and shoulders above ND. Add in FSU and Miami and ND falls in the middle. We will see about VT.

And to all ND fans who attack fellow Irish fans who want BK to stay with a qualified and successful DC hire in the off season, I have news for you all. I have been an Irish fan longer than most on this board and most likely have been attending games longer than most on this board. Doesn't make me any smarter. Doesn't make me any better. Doesn't mean squat. I bring it up because I want to keep up with the original post and I don't want BK fired at this time. I will re-evaluate at the end of 2017. This house is divided worse than this country for crying out loud.

Reactions: Bodizephax
The question as to whether Kelly should be able to stay on as ND head coach or be fired depends upon the mandate (as set by JS, I guess).

If Kelly's mandate is to win a NC Title - JS might as well begin a search for a head coach who can (possibly) get ND to the promised land.

In year 7 of his tenure both the D (is) and ST (continue to be) an un-repaired disaster. ND way too often continues to play "down" to the level of their opponents; are unable to consistently close out games when leading; and the team continues to be poorly prepared to start games.These are not the signs of a well coached team.

Anyone objectively looking back at the 2012 season can only conclude that 2012 was an anomaly..... Kelly won with mostly Charlie's recruits, not his own "RKG" recruits which now exclusively fill out his roster.

However, if Kelly's mandate is to consistently win 8 to 10 (or so) games per year, and get ND into a well-paying Bowl game - Kelly (once he gets the D straightened out ) can likely achieve this lofty goal. I believe that if Ty or Charlie could have met these standards - either would still be coaching ND.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Simple solution, IF Kelly can turn it around here then keep him for another year. if next year he cannot win a major bowl game fire him. I think that is more than fair.

Reactions: end_23
And to all ND fans who attack fellow Irish fans who want BK to stay with a qualified and successful DC hire in the off season, I have news for you all. I have been an Irish fan longer than most on this board and most likely have been attending games longer than most on this board. Doesn't make me any smarter. Doesn't make me any better. Doesn't mean squat. I bring it up because I want to keep up with the original post and I don't want BK fired at this time. I will re-evaluate at the end of 2017. This house is divided worse than this country for crying out loud.
No Toby, not divided. 80 per cent want Kelly gone. LMFAO

To all the posters on this board that attack ND fans for wanting Kelly out, I have news for you. I have been a ND fan longer than coach Kelly. Kelly grew up a BC fan. He only became a ND fan when the checks came in. Am I saying you have to have grown up a fan of the team you are going to coach? No, of course not. What I am saying, as a lifelong ND fan, I have the right to want the best for ND. I truly believe Kelly is not the best. The posters on this board that are calling for Jack to fire Kelly, are life long ND fans. My Grandfather started the tradition of ND football in our family. Knute was talked about like a family member in our house.
If my Grandpa was alive today he would be leading the call of fire Kelly. Kelly has now made this team a middle of the pack ACC team. ND can compete with the Cuse, NC State, Wake, and I thought Duke. Teams like Louisville, Clemson are head and shoulders above ND. Add in FSU and Miami and ND falls in the middle. We will see about VT.

how important is Good coaching?

Baylor sucked until Art Briles
Washington sucked until Chris Peterson
TCU sucked until Dennis Franchione
Alabama was marginal until Saban
Northwestern sucked until Parseghian
ND sucked until Holtz
ND sucked as soon as Leahy left
Michigan sucked until Harbaugh
Utah sucked until Myer
Duke sucked until Cutcliffe
Rutgers sucked until Schiano
USC sucked until Carroll
ND sucks and will continue to suck because of its D and bad coaching player development and big game coaching until?...

Reactions: 88ND and end_23
There is no question that something is wrong. The defense doesn't play well. I have a question for Theskibro, where did you come up with 80% want Kelly gone? Was it Mark Twain that said "there are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics"?

That was very touching! I need a tissue.

Reactions: Bodizephax
The 80% number is all over this free message board so it must be accurate. The only problem is the other 20% are the ones with the money and you all know the Golden Rule......those with the gold make the rules.

The 80% number is all over this free message board so it must be accurate. The only problem is the other 20% are the ones with the money and you all know the Golden Rule......those with the gold make the rules.
Touché Toby

The answer is either give huge money to Gruden or go get a young coach who is going to be the next superstar- PJ Fleck. Overpay to keep Sanford as OC. ND has the money. Put it towards getting a real coaching staff.

Sadly the staple of this idiot..idiot being Kelly,
No player maturation aside from physically becoming men...there is very little progression from year 1 to year 4 on offense.

Absolutely zero progression on defense. Matter of fact it's a regression. That is fact. He needs fired yesterday.

Sadly the staple of this idiot..idiot being Kelly,
No player maturation aside from physically becoming men...there is very little progression from year 1 to year 4 on offense.

Absolutely zero progression on defense. Matter of fact it's a regression. That is fact. He needs fired yesterday.

Although few would argue about Kelly's dismissal - there is a (potential) problem here.

IF - as many believe - JS has a 'man-crush' on Kelly, then Kelly is going nowhere. JS will defend Kelly by pointing to his 2015 and 2012 records respectively.

IF this alleged 'man-crush' is indeed true - then Swarbrick will likely have to go before Kelly goes.

here is a stat you can rely on: 7 years & 0 major bowl W's
another year and 80% will be a conservative estimate; that is unless you guys have just given up!

ok, this will be not too popular but to be fair:

the 0-7 on it's way to 0-12 has to be placed in context of the change in the college game and the technological changes in communications.

ND's self imposed disadvantages have become far greater and the absence of actual regulatory influence combined with the fact that there are universities that have win at all cost philosophies have made it damned near impossible for ND to be what it once was. There is a new hierarchy in college football and it is squeezing ND out.
So, while I find the job kelly is doing to be 'meh'; major bowls or NC's are near impossible measures.

Zona, I basically agree with your simple solution. I feel Kelly has done enough to be given the opportunity to get this team moving in the right direction the rest of this season, and the opportunity to have a successful season next year. As usual, the devil is in the details of what each constitute. For me, I want the team on the field to be younger and appreciably better this November than the one that played Texas. For next year, I want a top ten final finish, which means a 10-2 regular season and major bowl victory at a minimum. Anything less and I will join your view that Kelly is not the right man to take the program to the next level; if accomplished, will you conclude that Kelly is the right man for this job?

ok, this will be not too popular but to be fair:

the 0-7 on it's way to 0-12 has to be placed in context of the change in the college game and the technological changes in communications.

ND's self imposed disadvantages have become far greater and the absence of actual regulatory influence combined with the fact that there are universities that have win at all cost philosophies have made it damned near impossible for ND to be what it once was. There is a new hierarchy in college football and it is squeezing ND out.
So, while I find the job kelly is doing to be 'meh'; major bowls or NC's are near impossible measures.
I'm not disagreeing fully...

Let's just say a different coach.....one who actually is competent I'd like to see before throwing in the towel, , towel being admissions standards, no jucos, etc.

Just like some people on here want to piss and moan about recruiting.

Even Alabama and OSU could have better recruiting. This isn't electric football where we put the pieces out there and just hit the on play button.

They still need good coaching.

Say what you want about Paterno but his teams were always the most fundamentally sound teams. Especially in his prime years. They were the best tacklers bar none. Etc etc.

Want to know why Saban and Meyer are elite...because they get nice material but they leave no stone unturned. They still make sure the 5 star player routinely goes over tackling, angles. Etc. That's why they are elite.

They could have a team full of 4&3 star players and they'd still be top 5 teams.

Why?

C O A C H I N G❕❗

well, I point out, recruiting defensively is on a 3.4 ish level. This will not get you into the Top 10 picture.
And the longer it goes on the more the team will need to score 40+ to be in gams. OR, change the schedule to play teams on this downgraded level.

Simple solution, IF Kelly can turn it around here then keep him for another year. if next year he cannot win a major bowl game fire him. I think that is more than fair.

Totally fair and my position as well. After seeing the facts laid out in real game situations, it's beyond obvious that all of us (myself included. 8-5 was my floor to this season) in the 8-12 win range vastly underestimated how much NDF had to replace this year.

Having said that, even Charlie Weis was given "one final chance" to save his job after going 7-6 in 2008 and he never had a season like BK had in 2012 that he could use as evidence that he deserves to keep his job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT