ADVERTISEMENT

Grich Golson?

SchmidtyNole

I've posted how many times?
Feb 19, 2007
I think Brandon Wimbush is similar to Grich Golson among Notre Dame QBs. He has all the tools and a similar skill set to Golson. Is that a fair comparison?

Isn't he the guy who stole Christmas?
I don't know if he stole Christmas, but I'm pretty certain he stole the answers to a test.

And on a serious note, if Wimbush is our next Golson, we have a long year ahead of us.

I don't know if he stole Christmas, but I'm pretty certain he stole the answers to a test.

And on a serious note, if Wimbush is our next Golson, we have a long year ahead of us.

I guess you forget that Golson was a pretty good QB for us for 1 1/2 seasons, until he imploded the last half of his last season here.

As far as the OP's question, Wimbush is definitely bigger and faster as a runner, but I haven't seen enough to compare their passing games yet.

Well, they both have cannons in terms of throwing velocity and distance. But I think that's about where the similarities stop. Wimbush is by far the bigger and faster and more elusive runner. Wimbush accepts instruction and moves on after a mistake, and Golson mostly resisted and pouted. Wimbush is a natural leader, where Golson wasn't. We haven't seen enough of Wimbush to know if he is as accurate as Golson with mid range passes, or whether he goes through the progressions better than Golson, but hope the answer is yes on both counts.

Reactions: mbd11
I guess you forget that Golson was a pretty good QB for us for 1 1/2 seasons, until he imploded the last half of his last season here.

As far as the OP's question, Wimbush is definitely bigger and faster as a runner, but I haven't seen enough to compare their passing games yet.

I vividly remember him getting rescued repeatedly in 2012 by Tommy Rees, then leaving the team in a lurch because he cheated in 2013, then getting off to a great start in 2014 and, as you say, imploding, to the point where every time he touched the ball, you expected disaster to strike. Then, with the chance to lead a good team as a fifth year senior, he bails.

So no, I don't share your fond memories of Golson.

Reactions: Pennick44
I vividly remember him getting rescued repeatedly in 2012 by Tommy Rees, then leaving the team in a lurch because he cheated in 2013, then getting off to a great start in 2014 and, as you say, imploding, to the point where every time he touched the ball, you expected disaster to strike. Then, with the chance to lead a good team as a fifth year senior, he bails.

So no, I don't share your fond memories of Golson.

He had some good moments. I was at the 2014 Stanford game, when he threw the winning TD pass to Koyack on a cold, rainy day. And he almost led us to another come from behind win at FSU a few weeks later. And of course, the 2012 season had a lot of great moments. But no, it didn't end well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT