ADVERTISEMENT

Good news: 2020 SP+ projections releasing next week

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
Note: The S&P+ ranking and projection system has been changed to "SP+" for simplification reasons and it makes up one-half of the F/+ formula cited here frequently.

Anyway, the 2020 SP+ projections will be released sometime next week (here was last year's thread 2019 projections) and here's the criteria that goes into the projections (as explained by the author of the system himself):

The preseason SP+ projections are a simple mix of three factors: recent history, returning production, and recruiting. To come up with 130-team projections for all of FBS, I create projected ratings based on each factor. Here’s how the process works:

For recruiting, I create a rating based on these weighted four-year recruiting rankings. The weighting (67 percent this year’s class, 15 percent last year’s, 15 percent the year before that, three percent the year before that) is based on what makes the ratings most predictive.

For returning production, I take each team’s returning offensive and defensive production (which are on different scales) and apply projected changes to last year’s ratings. The ranking you see below is not where they rank in returning production but where they would rank after the projected changes are applied to last year’s SP+ averages. This piece makes up a vast majority of the overall SP+ projections.

For recent history, I’ve found that getting a little weird predicts pretty well. This number isn’t a strict five-year average — last year’s ratings already carry heavy weight from the returning production piece. Instead, what you see below is a projection based solely off of seasons two to five years ago. Recent history doesn’t carry much weight in the projections, but it serves as a reflection of overall program health. We overreact to one year’s performance sometimes.

There isn't a better way to get an objective view of how all 130 programs are stacking up to each other.

Where ND sits in these 'projections' will give us a REALLY good idea of how well the program is functioning over the last several years relative to all other programs. Last year ND was projected #12 in 2019 and finished #12 but I wouldn't get too caught up in where the projection system has Notre Dame finishing. These systems are best used as a comprehensive way to compare programs more than pinpoint precisely where they will finish.

It's also a good way to judge the quality of opponents on the schedule .. very curious to see where a program like Wisconsin is projected along with the rest of the opponents on the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
It is so annoying and funny watching you and your SP get destroyed on a daily basis.... but you keep coming back.

The fact you took the time to type that out like any swinging dick actually cares about it is admirable. It is like a new level of trolling.... Everything has been said from both sides... we all know where we stand... but for your sake I hope ND is ranked like 30th..... so your soapbox can get even taller to stand on when ND wins 10+ games yet again.

Is this the same formula that has Ohio #1, finishing ahead of LSU? Also, Wisconsin at #6. I think this formula needs recalibrated.

Waiting for S&P+ these days is like waiting for Street & Smith's back in the 1970s!! :eek:

Is this the same formula that has Ohio #1, finishing ahead of LSU? Also, Wisconsin at #6. I think this formula needs recalibrated.

If you are using the traditional model of ranking teams as the example of what is correct then I can see how you would look at it this way.

But the traditional model is the flawed model or at least the more limited model.

The system Vegas uses is MUUUCH closer to SP+ than the AP, Coaches, or even Playoff poll, that's for sure.

Reactions: notredamerises23
If you are using the traditional model of ranking teams as the example of what is correct then I can see how you would look at it this way.

But the traditional model is the flawed model or at least the more limited model.

The system Vegas uses is MUUUCH closer to SP+ than the AP, Coaches, or even Playoff poll, that's for sure.
by ' Traditional Model' do you mean wins and losses? Because you once admitted that wins are really all that matters.

I appreciate the info Chase provides. SP+ is useful.

Chase, can you get the SP+ for Willingham's season that started out undefeated up to 8-0 or something?

Wins and losses are all that matters but advanced metrics can provide a decent indicator of what's likely to happen.

I appreciate the info Chase provides. SP+ is useful.

Chase, can you get the SP+ for Willingham's season that started out undefeated up to 8-0 or something?

Wins and losses are all that matters but advanced metrics can provide a decent indicator of what's likely to happen.
Figures..

Projections coming out later tonight/tomorrow morning.

USC, Texas, Alabama, & Nebraska are all underrated teams/programs heading into 2020 according to Connelly's (author of SP+) twitter snippets.

To paraphrase Mark Twain: there are lies, damned lies, and SP+ projections.

Just having fun, @chaseball. I will give you your due, @chaseball, you have been a persistent believer in them, even in the face of overwhelming skepticism by the majority of posters on this board. It's been like water running off the duck's back.

Projections coming out later tonight/tomorrow morning.

USC, Texas, Alabama, & Nebraska are all underrated teams/programs heading into 2020 according to Connelly's (author of SP+) twitter snippets.
Please let Nebraska have another season win total at 8.5 like they did last year...... Daddy needs another Bronco.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT