ADVERTISEMENT

Free Safety

From what I have heard, no. Under sized. That's the scuttlebutt.
Toby

Is it undersize or just not good enough? I know the guy plays hard, so its not effort. It is probably football smarts. Wasn't Zibby an undersized safety? Maybe not as short as Fertita I guess....

We just went from having one of the best athletes on the team, leading tackler, and 2 year starter in the 2 deep to Nico Fertita.

The team is better off now :rolleyes:

Watkins would be the best choice relative to a guy who actually knows the system and has been around a while. With Crawford and Coleman in the mix at corner, IMO, the best 2-deep when Watkins is healthy could be...

CB: Cole Luke
2. Nick Coleman

FS: Nick Watkins
2. Devin Studstill

SS: Drue Tranquill
2. Avery Sebastien

CB: Shaun Crawford
2. Nick Coleman

It is sounding like Devin has the job if you can believe what Eric Hansen is saying. Eric has said that Devin looks really really good but prone to rookie mistakes, and that will be amplified in front of a very loud and hostile crowd on national TV in Texas.

It's Studstill's job to lose for sure. The fact that a true freshman is being forced into that situation (it's not as if he's an all world, Jaylon Smith type of player who must see the field) is not a good thing. Then again, it wasn't ideal when Kei Russell had to start at corner in 2012 and look how that turned out?... It's important to note, however, that FS (especially in a zone-blitizing, rotational scheme) is infinitely more difficult than playing Field Corner and there are sooo many responsibilities that are going to be placed on a young freshman.

Reactions: Bodizephax
It is sounding like Devin has the job if you can believe what Eric Hansen is saying. Eric has said that Devin looks really really good but prone to rookie mistakes, and that will be amplified in front of a very loud and hostile crowd on national TV in Texas.

The Texas quarterback is a freshman too. A even harder position to play than safety.

Reactions: IrishMike409
It's simple . Move a CB now to FS . Vaughn is the perfect candidate. You still have Luke, Crawford , Coleman, and Watkins at CB . Love plays nickel, Crawford plays Nickel, Avery and Drue at SS and Studstill , Elliot and Vaughn play FS for THIS year . Love may also be an option too. IF We see Avery move to FS it's a bad sign of things to come . That means that Studstill is not BVG "ready" or still injured. Avery has not range at all we will get torched down the middle of the field.

New Texas QB + New Texas OC + New Texas offense = hard to prep for so many unknowns.
Don't think Kelly and staff is worried about the Texas offense. No big weapons.
Think he is worried about his defense particularly the backfield.

It's simple . Move a CB now to FS . Vaughn is the perfect candidate. You still have Luke, Crawford , Coleman, and Watkins at CB . Love plays nickel, Crawford plays Nickel, Avery and Drue at SS and Studstill , Elliot and Vaughn play FS for THIS year . Love may also be an option too. IF We see Avery move to FS it's a bad sign of things to come . That means that Studstill is not BVG "ready" or still injured. Avery has not range at all we will get torched down the middle of the field.
Kelly said he is not moving guys around re FS

Toby

Is it undersize or just not good enough? I know the guy plays hard, so its not effort. It is probably football smarts. Wasn't Zibby an undersized safety? Maybe not as short as Fertita I guess....
Zibby could play the run. Couldn't t cover pretty much anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT