ADVERTISEMENT

For all our marines here....

Telx1

I've posted how many times?
May 13, 2012
Bodi and RMG7 etc al,
one of your fellow marines posted this on the pay site, and hope he doesn’t mind me doing a copy and paste to share it here.

Ooh Rah Semper Fidelis Devil Dogs

For a breakdown, a Marine Regiment is roughly 4,000 Marines. A German Division is roughly 13,000 troops.
8,000 Marines resoundingly defeated 65,000 battle hardened German troops.

A gift from French President Emmanuel Macron is one that speaks to the heart of every Marine: a tree taken from the site of the 1918 Belleau Wood battle.

Yesterday French President Macron made a subtle tribute to the United States' relationship with France. Weeks ago he surprised American state dinner planners with a request to offer the gift of an oak tree, and if possible, to plant it on the White House grounds. Last night it was revealed this sapling came from Belleau Woods, the location of a decisive battle fought a century ago this June.

Thinking the weakest point of the French line was where the newly arrived Americans were positioned, on June 1, 1918, the German Army overwhelmed them, pushing the USA 2nd Infantry Division back. On its flank was an attached marine regiment, the 6th Marines. The French ordered a retreat and the 6th Marines were used to cover the allied withdrawal that was threatening to become a rout.

As the Germans approached the 6th Marine Regiment's position, they did not get the usual grazing fire across no-man's-land that could sometimes help guide the advance. Instead the marines waited until the Germans were within 100 yards and then opened up with a fusillade of well aimed shots on an enfilade target, stopping the German advance.

As the surprised Germans regrouped for another assault, the French signaled for the marines to break contact. The 5th Marine Regiment, which stood in reserve behind the 6th, instead swung around for a counter attack against the five German divisions in front of them, catching the enemy off guard and slaughtering dense troop formations staged in an assembly area. Though the Germans were mostly veterans of several years of war, they were unaccustomed to such daring tactics and accurate small arms fire.

The allies were able to exploit this moment and the Germans' last hope for victory in the First World War died with the loss of this battle. Intercepted German messages would make reference to the marines' distinct uniforms. They didn't know what kind of units these two regiments were; so they called them "Teufelhunden," Devil Dogs

Thanks Telex ! That battle was part of our Great Marine History ! Semper Fi !
Rgc7...don’t know how your handle came out RMG7, but thankful you knew I meant you, et al. Thought it a really good story/post. By the way, been looking at real estate in your area with Superstition mtn views, etc... Still just kicking tires.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Rgc7...don’t know how your handle came out RMG7, but thankful you knew I meant you, et al. Thought it a really good story/post. By the way, been looking at real estate in your area with Superstition mtn views, etc... Still just kicking tires.

Telx,
If you get out our way and we are home , let me know and we’ ll Throw some stakes or burgers
On the grill ! We are usually home, but are headed for Germany and Prague from May 20 th untill
Early June. So we will be here in Az . Except for that time period.
If we can help in any way let’s us know and the invite to the bbq is an open invitational

My father and one of my brothers were jarheads. Brother was never active, but Dad served in Korea.

Respect!!

I too served in Korea, and hope that your dad is still with you and in good health?
I am very happy to finally see the possibility of the two Koreas at peace ! Hoping and praying that
Our President can bring about peace there .

I too served in Korea, and hope that your dad is still with you and in good health?
I am very happy to finally see the possibility of the two Koreas at peace ! Hoping and praying that
Our President can bring about peace there .
Unfortunately dad passed a couple years ago at the ripe old age of 85.

He never, ever spoke of his time in country. Coincidentally, one of my all-time favorite shows growing up was MASH. I recall he did not care for the show one bit. I'm sure his recollections of his time there differed from that show completely.

Unfortunately dad passed a couple years ago at the ripe old age of 85.

He never, ever spoke of his time in country. Coincidentally, one of my all-time favorite shows growing up was MASH. I recall he did not care for the show one bit. I'm sure his recollections of his time there differed from that show completely.

south Bend,
Sorry to learn that your Dad passed away. Unfortunately, too many of us Korean Vets have gone to God
Or are in poor health. At this time, thank God, I am still in great health considering my age. Every month, I receive my “ Chosin Few “ news letter and the membership list
Gets smaller and the obituaries get longer.
I never cared much for MASH either. The actual MASH hospitals were
Vital and did a great service for our wounded,but the actual TV show seemed to make light of a very horrible
Bitter war, that was made light of for many years , and to add insult to injury was called and still is on many
Occasions, a “ Conflict “.
In any case, I will be extremely happy if our President can finally officially end that war and bring peace
To the Korean People.

Telx,
If you get out our way and we are home , let me know and we’ ll Throw some stakes or burgers
On the grill ! We are usually home, but are headed for Germany and Prague from May 20 th untill
Early June. So we will be here in Az . Except for that time period.
If we can help in any way let’s us know and the invite to the bbq is an open invitational
Rgc7...have no specific plans yet, but my wife and I will make it out before the year’s end, and appreciate the invite. It would be great to meet and visit. I’ll let you know when we know, and hopefully this will happen.

To take it a step further, the French government awarded 5th and 6th Marines Regiments the fourragere for actions during World War I. To this day it is worn with great pride by every member of these units. It looks similar to the shoulder devices the aide de camps to high ranking officers and governmental officials display. However, these are an expression of French gratitude and acknowledgement of the incredible valor that turned sure defeat into victory. The 5th and 6th Marines are the only Marine Corps units authorized to wear it on their uniforms. The units also earned the Croix de Guerre with two palms and one gilt star for their actions in several battles including the Battle of Bellau Woods. It was during this time the regiment also earned the nickname the Fighting Fifth.

Semper Fi!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax and rgc7
Rgc7...have no specific plans yet, but my wife and I will make it out before the year’s end, and appreciate the invite. It would be great to meet and visit. I’ll let you know when we know, and hopefully this will happen.

Telx,
That would be great to meet you and your wife and have you visit us for a relaxing day, a bbq,
And any help and info that we may be able to give you. Just let us know when and we will get you
All info address, phone , etc.

BGI,
British Royal Marines were attached to our First Marine División at the Chosin Reservoir.
We who served with them have a great mutual respect for each other and a bond that has
endured as fellow members of The Chosin Few for 65 years ! “ He who bleeds with me
Is my brother” Semper Fi !

BGI,
British Royal Marines were attached to our First Marine División at the Chosin Reservoir.
They and We marines who served with them have a great mutual respect for each other and a bond that has
endured as fellow members of The Chosin Few for 65 years ! “ He who bleeds with me
Is my brother” Semper Fi !

Bodi and RMG7 etc al,
one of your fellow marines posted this on the pay site, and hope he doesn’t mind me doing a copy and paste to share it here.

Ooh Rah Semper Fidelis Devil Dogs

For a breakdown, a Marine Regiment is roughly 4,000 Marines. A German Division is roughly 13,000 troops.
8,000 Marines resoundingly defeated 65,000 battle hardened German troops.

A gift from French President Emmanuel Macron is one that speaks to the heart of every Marine: a tree taken from the site of the 1918 Belleau Wood battle.

Yesterday French President Macron made a subtle tribute to the United States' relationship with France. Weeks ago he surprised American state dinner planners with a request to offer the gift of an oak tree, and if possible, to plant it on the White House grounds. Last night it was revealed this sapling came from Belleau Woods, the location of a decisive battle fought a century ago this June.

Thinking the weakest point of the French line was where the newly arrived Americans were positioned, on June 1, 1918, the German Army overwhelmed them, pushing the USA 2nd Infantry Division back. On its flank was an attached marine regiment, the 6th Marines. The French ordered a retreat and the 6th Marines were used to cover the allied withdrawal that was threatening to become a rout.

As the Germans approached the 6th Marine Regiment's position, they did not get the usual grazing fire across no-man's-land that could sometimes help guide the advance. Instead the marines waited until the Germans were within 100 yards and then opened up with a fusillade of well aimed shots on an enfilade target, stopping the German advance.

As the surprised Germans regrouped for another assault, the French signaled for the marines to break contact. The 5th Marine Regiment, which stood in reserve behind the 6th, instead swung around for a counter attack against the five German divisions in front of them, catching the enemy off guard and slaughtering dense troop formations staged in an assembly area. Though the Germans were mostly veterans of several years of war, they were unaccustomed to such daring tactics and accurate small arms fire.

The allies were able to exploit this moment and the Germans' last hope for victory in the First World War died with the loss of this battle. Intercepted German messages would make reference to the marines' distinct uniforms. They didn't know what kind of units these two regiments were; so they called them "Teufelhunden," Devil Dogs

When I was a young enlisted Marine going to my MOS training school the Seargent Major closed the NCO club for all enlisted students because of too many drinking incidents. Everyone was bummed out except me. I went to the Officers club instead and got drunk. The Marine corps taught me to think outside the box (Adapt and overcome--Semper Gumby--Always flexible.

Reactions: Telx1 and rgc7
When I was a young enlisted Marine going to my MOS training school the Seargent Major closed the NCO club for all enlisted students because of too many drinking incidents. Everyone was bummed out except me. I went to the Officers club instead and got drunk. The Marine corps taught me to think outside the box (Adapt and overcome--Semper Gumby--Always flexible.

Bodi,
Chesty once said ( I’ll paraphrase the original quote ) “ if you want the best Marines lookin the Brig ! “
In the old Corps, there ration wax ( Piss and Punk) Bread and Water !
Semper Fi , Brother !

Bodi,
Chesty once said ( I’ll paraphrase the original quote ) “ if you want the best Marines lookin the Brig ! “
In the old Corps, there ration wax ( Piss and Punk) Bread and Water !
Semper Fi , Brother !

Semper Fi rgc7 ! This will be the year we finally bask in National Championship winning Glory for football ! The worm has turned !

Reactions: rgc7
Amen Bodi,
This it’s the year we have been waiting for ! Can’t wait for the season to start !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT