ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN's FPI Predictions Released

Thats not any way to compare talent among 130+ teams with rosters 85 deep.

Team talent composite at 247 is the most comprehensive way to objectively compare the entirety of a teams 85 man roster from one program to another.

In your opinion. I use multiple things like the 3 I mentioned and my eyes

The NFL draft is definitely one way to determine talent on a roster

Here's a factoid for anyone claiming a trip to College Station's not a tough game:

Even in a down year last year, they were 6-1 at home. And the only loss was to SEC champion Alabama, 26-20.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Here's a factoid for anyone claiming a trip to College Station's not a tough game:

Even in a down year last year, they were 6-1 at home. And the only loss was to SEC champion Alabama, 26-20.
Who said it wasn't a tough game?

The vast, vast majority of Notre Dame Football fans believe it will be.

That's all just random variance.

Last year they finished 18th in F+ to NDs 8th in F+.

Coming into the season TAM has a #13 SP+ projection to NDs #10 SP+ projection (this projection system takes into account 2024 recruiting classes, incoming/outgoing transfer portal transactions, returning production from the previous season, program track record, etc. all the important stuff)

You give TAM some points for being at home, and then some points for Vegas just having different internal projection systems (albeit similar) and I can see why there's a few point difference in favor of the other guys.

You also have to consider that Texas A&M has poured a ton of money into their recruiting in recent years through NIL and they got some prospects on their roster that can single handedly dominate a game.

Another wrinkle is that Elko comes from the Brian Kelly coaching tree and has already turned around another program quickly. He's a good coach and my guess is he'll have a competitive product out there in short order.

With all that being said, if ND is a national championship caliber program in 2024 we'll know it quickly based on how the offense and defense produces in the game.

Last edited:
Who said it wasn't a tough game?

The vast, vast majority of Notre Dame Football fans believe it will be.
If we can come away with a one point win, it'll be a great win.

That's all just random variance.

Last year they finished 18th in F+ to NDs 8th in F+.

Coming into the season TAM has a #13 SP+ projection to NDs #10 SP+ projection (this projection system takes into account 2024 recruiting classes, incoming/outgoing transfer portal transactions, returning production from the previous season, program track record, etc. all the important stuff)

You give TAM some points for being at home, and then some points for Vegas just having different internal projection systems (albeit similar) and I can see why there's a few point difference in favor of the other guys.

You also have to consider that Texas A&M has poured a ton of money into their recruiting in recent years through NIL and they got some prospects on their roster that can single handedly dominate a game.

Another wrinkle is that Elko comes from the Brian Kelly coaching tree and has already turned around another program quickly. He's a good coach and my guess is he'll have a competitive product out there in short order.

With all that being said, if ND is a national championship caliber program in 2024 we'll know it quickly based on how the offense and defense produces in the game.
Agreed but you just gave a bunch of details that contradict one of your previous posts about an and m having no hype.

Agreed but you just gave a bunch of details that contradict one of your previous posts about an and m having no hype.
What kind of hype does A&M have ? They have a 13th ranked SP+ projection. They have a lot of roster attrition and a new head coach. Nobody is expecting them to compete in any way in that SEC gauntlet.

They are a back end of playoff team at best IMO (not too far off from where ND stands)

If you feel inclined point out specifically where there's a contradiction. It might just be a half baked thought i didn't expand enough on

Last edited:
Notre Dame is an underdog in every major Las Vegas sports book.

There’s a reason for that.
an underdog vs a school that is mid in the SEC.

These spreads are a good measuring stick of how your program is stacking up amongst other programs in the country.

Or just plain wrong.

Aggy's home record is that they caught losing teams and Abilene Christian at Kyle Field last year.

Elko is absolutely not from the 'Brian Kelly Coaching Tree.' He is from Norvell's team and had a stop over in South Bend.

A&M always bought a lot of talent. It hasn't translated good seasons but the odds are that it should eventually.

I can, 2021. Not long ago

I see 2 question marks on the OL. Left and right tackle.

But I also see question marks with Texas Am OL as well. It's not like they have NDs 17 OL
But is Wagner really a question mark? 1st year starter? Yes. But he's largely a guy who should be ready to go and someone who's positioned for a lot of success:

6'4, 290, with excellent length.

Elite athleticism.

Highly coveted/recruited on the national scene

Flat-out won the RT job, convincingly.

2 years+ in the program. He's earned trust.

Aside from him maybe being 10 pounds light.....what's not to love about Amil Wagner taking the RT job? I'm starting to think that he's lined up for a ton of success. And he's earned it.

Last edited:
What kind of hype does A&M have ? They have a 13th ranked SP+ projection. They have a lot of roster attrition and a new head coach. Nobody is expecting them to compete in any way in that SEC gauntlet.

They are a back end of playoff team at best IMO (not too far off from where ND stands)

If you feel inclined point out specifically where there's a contradiction. It might just be a half baked thought i didn't expand enough on
Any time you beat a ranked team on the road it's a great win. Beating ranked teams on the road isn't an easy thing to do.

And by the way, the last time LSU went to Kyle Field, in November 2022, they lost to a 5-7 Texas A&M team.

They still have a lot of talent, and Elko's an excellent coach. So this could end up being our toughest game of the season.

Last edited:
But is Wagner really a question mark? 1st year starter? Yes. But he's largely a guy who should be ready to go and someone who's positioned for a lot of success:

6'4, 290, with excellent length.

Elite athleticism.

Highly coveted/recruited on the national scene

Flat-out won the RT job, convincingly.

2 years+ in the program. He's earned trust.

Aside from him maybe being 10 pounds light.....what's not to love about Amil Wagner taking the RT job? I'm starting to think that he's lined up for a ton of success. And he's earned it.
I'm probably his biggest fan on the board or one of them. I thought he was really good and was going to win that job. And I think he will play well this year. I said before camp, he may be our best OT including Jagusah

But until he actually does it, I'm still a little nervous

Reactions: IrishMike409
Any time you beat a ranked team on the road it's a great win. Beating ranked teams on the road isn't an easy thing to do.

And by the way, the last time LSU went to Kyle Field, in November 2022, they lost to a 5-7 Texas A&M team.

They still have a lot of talent, and Elko's an excellent coach. So this could end up being our toughest game of the season.
Brian Kelly ladies and gentleman. Are ever going to break away from his influence or are his assistants going to choose their successors forever?

A&M is the most extreme example of SEC hype. They started in the top 10 pretty much every year due to their bought and paid for recruiting stars. They stay there until the conference play started. The Aggies may be a lot tougher in August than November because they have not yet learned that this year will be like every other one.

Aggy-Annual-Roller-Coaster-ujy608-550x413.jpg

Brian Kelly ladies and gentleman. Are ever going to break away from his influence or are his assistants going to choose their successors forever?

A&M is the most extreme example of SEC hype. They started in the top 10 pretty much every year due to their bought and paid for recruiting stars. They stay there until the conference play started. The Aggies may be a lot tougher in August than November because they have not yet learned that this year will be like every other one.
You're ignoring the fact they have a new coach this year, who did very well at Duke for two years.

You're ignoring the fact they have a new coach this year, who did very well at Duke for two years.
I am not ignoring it. Elko has to be weighed against the other good coaches that A&M has hired that did not work out. i.e. Kevin Sumlin had Houston at 12-0 and Jimbo Fisher won national titles at LSU and FSU.

I am not ignoring it. Elko has to be weighed against the other good coaches that A&M has hired that did not work out. i.e. Kevin Sumlin had Houston at 12-0 and Jimbo Fisher won national titles at LSU and FSU.
They had tough schedules in the SEC West all those years. Being in the same division with the likes of Alabama and LSU didn't make it easy.

But as far as our game, this is a very tough road game, and I stand by that statement.

Jimbo Fisher did not win a national title at LSU.

They had tough schedules in the SEC West all those years. Being in the same division with the likes of Alabama and LSU didn't make it easy.

But as far as our game, this is a very tough road game, and I stand by that statement.
AGree it's a hard game. And it could very well end in so what ND beat a 7-5 team?
Jimbo Fisher did not win a national title at LSU.
He was Saban's OC in 2003. It is relevant in this context of the discussion of A&M great coaching hires

AGree it's a hard game. And it could very well end in so what ND beat a 7-5 team?

He was Saban's OC in 2003. It is relevant in this context of the discussion of A&M great coaching hires
Being an assistant on a coaching staff is not “winning a title.”

Nick Saban won the title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT