ADVERTISEMENT

Efficiency Breakdown: Notre Dame 69, Northeastern 65

Jordan Wells

I've posted how many times?
Feb 11, 2015
Pace: 62. Pretty slow, but both of these teams usually play slow. 28 possessions in the first half, then things sped up a little for 34 in the second.

Efficiency:

Notre Dame--111

Northeastern--105

Whew, fans breathing a sigh of relief after that one. For most of the second half, it never felt like (to me) Northeastern was actually going to take the lead, but they came juuuuust close in the closing couple minutes.

Offense: Zach Auguste was unstoppable down low. Took a lot of flak for early fouls in both halves, but finished with a team-high 25 points on 10-for-14 shooting. Grant, 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting, five assists. D. Jackson, nine points, eight assists and only one turnover. Love it when Jackson turns up the heat, I think he's going to be huge for ND next year. Anyway, a 111 output for ND is not very good, compared to their usual standards. There wasn't any specific area that was a glaring weakness offensively, I guess it was just the absence of the three ball.

Defense: Could not stop Northeastern in the paint early, and with how slow the pace was, ND was looking very vulnerable today. The Huskies shot fine from the field, and also destroyed ND on the offensive glass. But thanks largely to forcing 16 turnovers--the ultimate offense killer--the Irish held on, holding Northeastern to a 105 output. As I always say, nothing positive can come from a turnover. Even a horrible shot, you can get fouled, or maybe get a lucky rebound. Turnovers are the worst, and cost Northeastern their upset bid today.

Identity Stats:

1) Effective Field Goal Percentage[/I]: 59.5 percent. About average for ND, who ranks No. 1 nationally with a 58.6 eFG%, and they finished a percentage point above that. Hard to shoot in the 60's without heavy input from the three-point line, which ND mostly neglected today. Irish shot 25-for-41 from 2's (61 percent), 2-for-6 from 3's (33 percent). 38 percent of ND's field goals on the season are three-point attempts, today that ratio was only 13 percent.

2) Turnover Rate[/I]: 7 TO's in 62 possessions, 11 percent turnover rate (about one every nine possessions.) This is an outstanding effort, Northeastern had a turnover one every four possessions, more than double the Irish.

3) Free throw differential[/I]: ND earned a 38 percent free throw rate (18 FTA's to 47 FGA's,) UNC earned an 18 percent free throw rate (10 FTA's to 55 FGA's). This is about average here too.

Summary: So, about average in two categories, and a huge checkmark in one. Usually here you're feeling alright with that, especially against a subpar opponent, but Northeastern's domination on the glass today kept them in it. Huskies earned 13 offensive rebounds in 28 chances (15 ND defensive rebounds), for a 46 percent offensive rebounding rate. This is way, way too high.

But there's a reason rebounding isn't one of our identity stats. Somehow, someway, ND has played in several contests this year where they get crushed on the glass, and they still somehow overcome for a win.

ND's five worst efforts protecting the glass this year, per Kenpom:
46 percent, March 19 vs Northeastern--69-65 win.48 percent, Feb. 7 at Duke--90-60 loss.49 percent, March 7 vs. Clemson--81-67 win.50 percent, Dec. 3 vs. Michigan State--79-78 win.51 percent, Jan. 5 at UNC--71-70 win.
Yes, a couple of those are squeakers, coupled with a blowout loss. Still, my point is, ND can survive getting annihilated on the glass if they usually do fine in the identity stats.

Anyway, it could be worse, friends. You could be Iowa State today.

Let's see if they can regroup against the Butler/Texas winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.