ADVERTISEMENT

Dumb shit schools- most of them

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
Transform overnight due to the portal. . Look at SC. If you can spell your name you can transfer there. Let’s face it ND closed the gap but never all the way and now pretty much will never do it. The run from 2017-2021 will be the standard from here on out.

• Haha
Reactions: 4-4-3 and goherd24
The days of any academic institution winning a national championship in CFB are long since past, and it's only gonna get worse. Sad to say, but I don't see ND ever winning a championship again. We just will never bend to the athletes needed to make that happen.

Hell, we're two games in and the season is already over. Join a damn conference, and give this generation of kids something to play for!!!

Last edited:
The days of any academic institution winning a national championship in CFB are long since past, and it's only gonna get worse. Said to say, but I don't see ND ever winning a championship again. We just will never bend to the athletes needed to make that happen.

Hell, we're two games in and the season is already over. Join a damn conference, and give this generation of kids something to play for!!!
So those players who came to Notre Dame when Notre Dame didn’t participate in post season bowl games had nothing to play for once they lost a game or two ?

How or why did Paul Hornung even dress for games.

What has happened to our will to win, our competitive drive.

Is this a by-product of participation trophies ?

i can’t win a National Championship so I’m going to take my football and go home with my tail between my legs, that’s your attitude ?

Would you change our “Fighting Irish” to the “Quitting Irish”

SAD !

Reactions: NDinNJ
So those players who came to Notre Dame when Notre Dame didn’t participate in post season bowl games had nothing to play for once they lost a game or two ?

i can’t win a National Championship so I’m going to take my football and go home with my tail between my legs, that’s your attitude ?

SAD !
Well, I don’t pay to see ND play calculus or linguistics. I pay to watch them play football.

I love the tradition but I’m over this half in and half out BS. ND went woke and should fully embrace it and take less academically gifted kids “give them an opportunity too”, isn’t that what all these Universities claim now, “give the less privileged opportunities”.

No one but some of you fakers says “Well, ND lost but their graduation rate is at the top of college football!!”

Well, I don’t pay to see ND play calculus or linguistics. I pay to watch them play football.

I love the tradition but I’m over this half in and half out BS. ND went woke and should fully embrace it and take less academically gifted kids “give them an opportunity too”, isn’t that what all these Universities claim now, “give the less privileged opportunities”.

No one but some of you fakers says “Well, ND lost but their graduation rate is at the top of college football!!”
Yes. The “Catholic Way” help the less fortunate.

• Haha
Reactions: HarlemIrish

Evidently you never went to Notre Dame.

You want to compromise ND’s standards, you want to lower the bar, you want ND to use kids, fail to educate and graduate them, then cast them adrift.

NOPE, ND has to stand above the others, ND has that rare combination of superior academics and athletics.

ND’s shortcomings have been in their hires !

You want to compromise ND’s standards, you want to lower the bar, you want ND to use kids, fail to educate and graduate them, then cast them adrift.

NOPE, ND has to stand above the others, ND has that rare combination of superior academics and athletics.

Why do they have to fail to graduate, why would ND senselessly cast them adrift?

Reactions: NDblitz

Out of curiosity, are you an ND alum?

Once upon a time the Ivies, Army, and Navy were good in football.

Even ND could not hold out, as evidenced by not winning a NC since 1988.

Sorry, this is not simply in hires.

Moreover, why do you think lowering admissions standards and remedial degrees equate to the negatives you listed?

Reactions: adrian1477
Why do they have to fail to graduate, why would ND senselessly cast them adrift?
When you lower your academic standards and take in “student-athletes” incapable of meeting the academic rigors, they’re not going to graduate, they’re not going to become gainfully employed, they’re not going to live a rewarding life after college football.

Notre Dame‘s primary mission is to educate and prepare their students for life after college.

Using academically inferior students to win football games and then setting them adrift without a degree, without a higher education, is reckless and irresponsible and contrary to ND’s mission and ND’s responsibility to those students

Out of curiosity, are you an ND alum?

Once upon a time the Ivies, Army, and Navy were good in football.

Even ND could not hold out, as evidenced by not winning a NC since 1988.

Sorry, this is not simply in hires.

Moreover, why do you think lowering admissions standards and remedial degrees equate to the negatives you listed?
Yes, I graduated from ND.

Is Notre Dame’s priority to provide a higher education for all of it’s students or to lower it’s academic standards and essentially admit academically unqualified athletes in an attempt to win a National championship ?

How low do you want to lower the bar ?

Should ND admit athletes who don’t attend class ?
Or athletes who can’t keep up ?

To what degree should ND prostitute itself in an attempt to win a National Championship ?

Is Notre Dame’s priority to provide a higher education for all of it’s students or to lower it’s academic standards and essentially admit academically unqualified athletes in an attempt to win a National championship ?

To what degree should ND prostitute itself in an attempt to win a National Championship ?

Fair enough. I know a few ND gradates. Most agree ND could do what I described without compromising the academic brand and, most importantly, achieve a social mission.

Nobody suggesting skipping classes, cheating, or empty degrees. I choose my words carefully: a remedial but progressive degree. Yes, it's tailored to the athlete who couldn't keep up in a regular degree.

I wrote on another thread how my Catholic all boy HS had tier 1, 2, and 3 (honors) classes to accommodate a range of abilities. It worked out very well, with most being accepted to college. This could be adopted so ND gets the best athletic talent...as do OSU, AL, and GA, where I think most graduate now.

Mind you, I'm fine with ND staying the way it is. I'm a Catholic subway fan with memories of the 70s and 80s. But younger fans might not stay so loyal, as winning matters. Always has. Always will.

Football helped make ND. Why not keep up such a tradition and brand? Again, I don't see any compromise chasing this as I described.

BTW: I work in hi-tech in Silicon Valley. With talented STEM folks from all kinds of universities. Including ND, the Ivies, SEC schools, community and state schools.

Do you think top software engineers from USC, AL, Wisconsin, or OR came from prostituted schools? Because of what they do in their sports programs? Really?

I hope you see my point.

Reactions: 4-4-3

ND should lower the restrictions enough to get elite athletes to attend.
Yes, athletes should attend class, but the shouldn’t have to major in physics or mechanical engineering though either.
I think ND could plenty of these kids through their business school with help from staff and tutors.

Yes, athletes should attend class, but the shouldn’t have to major in physics or mechanical engineering though either.
I think ND could plenty of these kids through their business school with help from staff and tutors.
It’s not as easy as it would seem and it’s a slippery slope.

Father Hesburgh put the brakes on that effort.years ago, clearly deemphasizing football.

Might there be a middle ground ?

Maybe, but who would manage this effort ?

Fair enough. I know a few ND gradates. Most agree ND could do what I described without compromising the academic brand and, most importantly, achieve a social mission.

Nobody suggesting skipping classes, cheating, or empty degrees. I choose my words carefully: a remedial but progressive degree. Yes, it's tailored to the athlete who couldn't keep up in a regular degree.

I wrote on another thread how my Catholic all boy HS had tier 1, 2, and 3 (honors) classes to accommodate a range of abilities. It worked out very well, with most being accepted to college. This could be adopted so ND gets the best athletic talent...as do OSU, AL, and GA, where I think most graduate now.

Mind you, I'm fine with ND staying the way it is. I'm a Catholic subway fan with memories of the 70s and 80s. But younger fans might not stay so loyal, as winning matters. Always has. Always will.

Football helped make ND. Why not keep up such a tradition and brand? Again, I don't see any compromise chasing this as I described.

BTW: I work in hi-tech in Silicon Valley. With talented STEM folks from all kinds of universities. Including ND, the Ivies, SEC schools, community and state schools.

Do you think top software engineers from USC, AL, Wisconsin, or OR came from prostituted schools? Because of what they do in their sports programs? Really?

I hope you see my point.
I do see your point.

But when it comes to football programs I believe that USC, Alabama and many other schools did prostitute themselves in pursuit of a NC and I don’t want ND to go down that road.

When I look at ND football, I see great success and great failures and what separates the two is just one factor, ………… the coaches !

SAD !
Seems you have a reading problem since you continually argue about yesteryear, of which I said worked at ND. Paul Hornung? Really? Have you seen how CFB has changed? Do you watch it at all? Most of these kids know nothing about Paul Hornung, that sad but true. A conference gives them something to play for, and win; and it doesn't change the ultimate goal of a National championship. There is no comparison between the 1970's or 60's etc. And now none.

So true. Jack pulled the trigger on freeman because players liked him, and hired a guy that should still be linebacker coach. He should have been more thorough. But Jack will never and shouldn’t compromise on academics. this is on him, not freeman

So true. Jack pulled the trigger on freeman because players liked him, and hired a guy that should still be linebacker coach. He should have been more thorough. But Jack will never and shouldn’t compromise on academics. this is on him, not freeman
Jack fell for the always fatal player’s coach card. I have yet to see a player’s coach situation end with consistent success.

Great post! Truth! It is all about helping these young men become the best versions of themselves!

Seems you have a reading problem since you continually argue about yesteryear, of which I said worked at ND. Paul Hornung? Really? Have you seen how CFB has changed? Do you watch it at all? Most of these kids know nothing about Paul Hornung, that sad but true. A conference gives them something to play for, and win; and it doesn't change the ultimate goal of a National championship. There is no comparison between the 1970's or 60's etc. And now none.
You obviously missed the point about Paul Hornung.
Have someone who understands the reference explain it to you.

The will to win, pride and having competitive DNA hasn’t changed in a century or a millennium.

You play to win every game !
You play to win every play.

You don’t give up because a NC has escaped your grasp !

Your, “oh now we have nothing to play for” is a loser’s mentality !

A warrior hates losing and strengthens his resolve to not lose again.

Your philosophy reflects a weakness of character.

How about playing for the love of the game and thriving on competition !.

Go hand out participation trophies

Jack fell for the always fatal player’s coach card. I have yet to see a player’s coach situation end with consistent success.
I tend to agree, choosing a coach based upon his popularity with players is almost always a bad decision.

Experience, credentials and prior success at the position would seem to be the preferred criteria.

Lots of good posts here and interesting perspectives. Yes, college football has changed. Back in the day, everybody prostituted themselves, even ND allowed players to pass who clearly weren't. The big turn around came at the end of the Holtz era, when ND genuinely applied the standards.

As we're discussing, I get this. But other colleges also cleaned up in their own way. Nobody at OSU, AL, and GA are graduating illiterate or even cheating. Again, they go through tailored degrees where it takes minimal time, but still teaches and improves them.

This is no different from soccer players are developed in Europe. Even in HS they get a lighter program and simply don't go to college. That won't fly here, so colleges make accommodation, achieving effectively the same thing.

I'm from Croatia. Soccer players that don't make it have received some job training along the way and are guaranteed jobs. Mitigating risk for the player and his family. If you don't do this you simply cannot compete...and helps explain why Croatia with 4M people can get to a World Cup final in 2018 and have some of the best soccer players in the world.

Guys, it's no different in college football. If ND wants the best players, it must find a way to match those of AL, GA, and OSU. Otherwise ND cannot compete at the elite level in the big moments...and clearly is challenged to even be top 15...with CBK being an outlier since Holtz here.

The most decisive indicator for me is if ND can get a top coach. I haven't seen one since Holtz. That says it all for me.

Urban Meyer dreamed of coaching at ND. He never did because he knows he won't do as well as his aspirations. Not 1 coach since Holtz has been of the Meyer caliber.

We talk a lot about data. The data speaks loudly here. ND has been left behind by an evolving college landscape. To come full circle, sure, it's commendable to stick to tradition and academic rigor...but so do the Ivies, Army, and Navy...commendable but they're not going to win titles.

Reactions: HRC08 and 4-4-3
Lots of good posts here and interesting perspectives. Yes, college football has changed. Back in the day, everybody prostituted themselves, even ND allowed players to pass who clearly weren't. The big turn around came at the end of the Holtz era, when ND genuinely applied the standards.

As we're discussing, I get this. But other colleges also cleaned up in their own way. Nobody at OSU, AL, and GA are graduating illiterate or even cheating. Again, they go through tailored degrees where it takes minimal time, but still teaches and improves them.

This is no different from soccer players are developed in Europe. Even in HS they get a lighter program and simply don't go to college. That won't fly here, so colleges make accommodation, achieving effectively the same thing.

I'm from Croatia. Soccer players that don't make it have received some job training along the way and are guaranteed jobs. Mitigating risk for the player and his family. If you don't do this you simply cannot compete...and helps explain why Croatia with 4M people can get to a World Cup final in 2018 and have some of the best soccer players in the world.

Guys, it's no different in college football. If ND wants the best players, it must find a way to match those of AL, GA, and OSU. Otherwise ND cannot compete at the elite level in the big moments...and clearly is challenged to even be top 15...with CBK being an outlier since Holtz here.

The most decisive indicator for me is if ND can get a top coach. I haven't seen one since Holtz. That says it all for me.

Urban Meyer dreamed of coaching at ND. He never did because he knows he won't do as well as his aspirations. Not 1 coach since Holtz has been of the Meyer caliber.

We talk a lot about data. The data speaks loudly here. ND has been left behind by an evolving college landscape. To come full circle, sure, it's commendable to stick to tradition and academic rigor...but so do the Ivies, Army, and Navy...commendable but they're not going to win titles.
You don’t get left behind and go undefeated and qualify for the college football playoffs.

Kelly’s record speaks for itself, undefeated seasons, 10+ wins year in and year out.

Stop trying to rewrite history.

Reactions: notredamerises23
You don’t get left behind and go undefeated and qualify for the college football playoffs.

Kelly’s record speaks for itself, undefeated seasons, 10+ wins year in and year out.

Stop trying to rewrite history.

I presented the history accurately. Did you read my entire post?

I acknowledge CBK, but note he's an outlier since Holtz...inferring we might be back to that norm.

And I often post from the perspective of ND being a NC, which CBK never came close to achieving.

All this supports that ND has fallen behind the elite teams and certainly might fall behind the good chasers often enough.

It is what it is.

You obviously missed the point about Paul Hornung.
Have someone who understands the reference explain it to you.

The will to win, pride and having competitive DNA hasn’t changed in a century or a millennium.

You play to win every game !
You play to win every play.

You don’t give up because a NC has escaped your grasp !

Your, “oh now we have nothing to play for” is a loser’s mentality !

A warrior hates losing and strengthens his resolve to not lose again.

Your philosophy reflects a weakness of character.

How about playing for the love of the game and thriving on competition !.

Go hand out participation trophies
You are soon in the past. Again are you at all paying any attention to CFB.
Kids don't even stay 4 years anymore en masse. They are paid to play. There is nothing g about CFB that remotely resembles your yesteryear. Joining a conference is NOT a lovers mentality, it's another goal to work toward. If that weren't the case there would be no conferences. Independence doesn't help ND one bit, particularly in recruiting. These kids are dumb or blind as you would think, or were, IDK. When you have one goal to play towards and it is gone already, it is human nature to let down. And don't tell me about yesteryear or Paul Hornung. I know all about him.

I think ND already does this, at least to a degree.

The point, more than anything, is that as long as we maintain the status quo with academic requirements, the game will pass us by. We either want to pump out men of high academic quality that are good at football or pump out men of high athletic quality that major in general studies. The teams winning NCs let anyone in with a pulse and now get them paid big to be there. Meanwhile, in South Bend, we’re still operating like college football is a game where you’re a student first. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that; however, it should lead us to adjust our expectations. Notre Dame will likely be destined to be more akin to Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc. than to be spoken of in the same conversation as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, etc.

I presented the history accurately. Did you read my entire post?

I acknowledge CBK, but note he's an outlier since Holtz...inferring we might be back to that norm.

And I often post from the perspective of ND being a NC, which CBK never came close to achieving.

All this supports that ND has fallen behind the elite teams and certainly might fall behind the good chasers often enough.

It is what it is.
Kelly‘s teams played in two playoffs for the National Championship, that’s about as close as you can get, so how can you say that he never came close ?

Reactions: notredamerises23
Transform overnight due to the portal. . Look at SC. If you can spell your name you can transfer there. Let’s face it ND closed the gap but never all the way and now pretty much will never do it. The run from 2017-2021 will be the standard from here on out.
This is unfair and insulting to USC. We dropped the requirement that transferees have to spell their names correctly years ago.
But, just out of curiosity, who are the poor students who transferred into USC this year?

• Haha
Reactions: sluggo69
The point, more than anything, is that as long as we maintain the status quo with academic requirements, the game will pass us by. We either want to pump out men of high academic quality that are good at football or pump out men of high athletic quality that major in general studies. The teams winning NCs let anyone in with a pulse and now get them paid big to be there. Meanwhile, in South Bend, we’re still operating like college football is a game where you’re a student first. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with that; however, it should lead us to adjust our expectations. Notre Dame will likely be destined to be more akin to Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc. than to be spoken of in the same conversation as Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, etc.
Agreed, CFB has changed dramatically over the past 20 or so years, and unless we make some changes, we will never again win a NC. My first change would be to join a conference

You are soon in the past. Again are you at all paying any attention to CFB.
Kids don't even stay 4 years anymore en masse. They are paid to play. There is nothing g about CFB that remotely resembles your yesteryear. Joining a conference is NOT a lovers mentality, it's another goal to work toward. If that weren't the case there would be no conferences. Independence doesn't help ND one bit, particularly in recruiting. These kids are dumb or blind as you would think, or were, IDK. When you have one goal to play towards and it is gone already, it is human nature to let down. And don't tell me about yesteryear or Paul Hornung. I know all about him.
You still don’t understand the reference.
Please have someone explain it to you.

Players play for the love of the game.

By your reasoning, once a team can’t win their conference championship they should give up and stop making the effort because they don’t have anything to play for.

Joining a conference doesn’t benefit ND

You still don’t understand the reference.
Please have someone explain it to you.

Players play for the love of the game.

By your reasoning, once a team can’t win their conference championship they should give up and stop making the effort because they don’t have anything to play for.

Joining a conference doesn’t benefit ND
You're a moron. How does independence help ND in the current landscape of CFB??? Go ahead, I'll wait

Reactions: adrian1477
Kelly‘s teams played in two playoffs for the National Championship, that’s about as close as you can get, so how can you say that he never came close ?

The Irish got beat pretty emphatically in all the BCS and playoff runs. That is not as close as you can get for me. Again, I've been consistent in saying CBK did a good job making ND competitive and relevant. Legitimately top 5 at times.

But there is a big gap between this and being a NC that can realistically compete with Clemson, OSU, GA, and AL when they peak. ND cannot hit that peak and certainly didn't under CBK.

One last point: did Cincinnati come close to winning the NC? To me they were marginally competitive last year in the playoffs. Same with MI, who I thought would do much better.

This is unfair and insulting to USC. We dropped the requirement that transferees have to spell their names correctly years ago.
But, just out of curiosity, who are the poor students who transferred into USC this year?
Cedric Ellis was at my dads Hogh school. He’s a dumb shit. NEVER could have gone to ND. George UKo I coached in HS. Great kid. Not the sharpest toolin the shed. 2.5-3.0 avg. ND came by once. No chance. And they wanted him BAD. SC no
Problem. Personally I yelled at him everyday. He was an 80 percenter. One of my buddies in HS. 3.0 and 1000 SAT. went to SC. Need more?

Rudy was off side.

Cedric Ellis was at my dads Hogh school. He’s a dumb shit. NEVER could have gone to ND. George UKo I coached in HS. Great kid. Not the sharpest toolin the shed. 2.5-3.0 avg. ND came by once. No chance. And they wanted him BAD. SC no
Problem. Personally I yelled at him everyday. He was an 80 percenter. One of my buddies in HS. 3.0 and 1000 SAT. went to SC. Need more?
USC Football, if you can play well, accepts anyone with a pulse.

The Irish got beat pretty emphatically in all the BCS and playoff runs. That is not as close as you can get for me. Again, I've been consistent in saying CBK did a good job making ND competitive and relevant. Legitimately top 5 at times.

But there is a big gap between this and being a NC that can realistically compete with Clemson, OSU, GA, and AL when they peak. ND cannot hit that peak and certainly didn't under CBK.

One last point: did Cincinnati come close to winning the NC? To me they were marginally competitive last year in the playoffs. Same with MI, who I thought would do much better.
EVERYBODY GOT BEAT EXCEPT THE WINNER !

there’s an inherent conflict between academics and athletics and ND isn’t going to sell its soul in pursuit of a NC

These kids transferred in this year?

A-f**king-men! NBC isn’t paying ND millions for their graduation rate or a swell fencing team. It’s football.

EVERYBODY GOT BEAT EXCEPT THE WINNER !

there’s an inherent conflict between academics and athletics and ND isn’t going to sell its soul in pursuit of a NC
It will be interesting when that football money starts drying up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT