ADVERTISEMENT

Dolphins clock management

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
Miami using the Bob Davie clock management system in the 2nd half today. Atrocious. 4th and 1 ft and couldn’t get a play off in time. How can u not go under center and QB sneak??????? If u can’t get 1 foot on a QB sneak then you deserve to lose

Clock management was embarrassingly atrocious! They used all 3 second half TOs to avoid delay of game penalties. This cannot be pro football

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: tbonesays
Miami using the Bob Davie clock management system in the 2nd half today. Atrocious. 4th and 1 ft and couldn’t get a play off in time. How can u not go under center and QB sneak??????? If u can’t get 1 foot on a QB sneak then you deserve to lose
They got what they deserved!

Can’t recall a worse example of clock mismanagement. Actually management or mismanagement are misnomers, it was really an exercise in bumbling confusion from coach to QB to offense.

Can’t recall a worse example of clock mismanagement. Actually management or mismanagement are misnomers, it was really an exercise in bumbling confusion from coach to QB to offense.
Bob Davie says hi.

A youth football coach named Jack Reed, who also graduated from West Point, and holds a Harvard MBA, wrote an entire book on football clock management. He gives examples throughout football history of teams that made obvious, and not so obvious clock management. mistakes that cost games.

To this day, the best football book, I have ever read. By reading this book, I could probably mange the clock better than half the NFL head coaches right now. And probably 70% of D 1 coaches right now.

The butchering of clock at the highest levels of football NFL and Division I football is mind boggling. Whether is knowing when, and when not to take timeouts, when and when not to stay in bounds, when and when not to speed up or slow down. Every single week you see teams run out of time or leave too much time for an opponent to score.

That was a disaster.

Second disaster was Huntley's dumb decision to try to stretch the football over the goal line in the Ravens-Bengals.

Worst call of the day had to be the roughing the passer call in the Vikings-Giants game. (Otherwise that game played out the way Vikings' playoff games always play out: 11-0 in one-score games coming in; you knew they would be 11-1 going out.

That was the worst i've seen over and over again, so bad that if I'm the GM I would get involved to ensure something like that never happens again.

Countless issues getting the play in but 4th and 1 with a clock re set and all you need is a simple qb sneak, to change personnel with less than 10 seconds is criminal

To make it worse, the coach is doubling down that he got conflicting info and thought they had a first down. NO ONE made it seem like there was a first down given, the players and all officials new it was fourth down, it was clear on tv it was fourth down. Then he says first time we've had an issue all year. Except you were having an issue all second half.

If I'm GM we're having some tough conversations with this immature coach

The Vikings last play was one I found amusing.

They had 4th and 8 and Cousins throws a 3 yard pass to the TE who is well covered. Are you kidding me ?

I could see it if maybe he was under duress and just had to throw it but that wasn't the case.

A youth football coach named Jack Reed, who also graduated from West Point, and holds a Harvard MBA, wrote an entire book on football clock management. He gives examples throughout football history of teams that made obvious, and not so obvious clock management. mistakes that cost games.

To this day, the best football book, I have ever read. By reading this book, I could probably mange the clock better than half the NFL head coaches right now. And probably 70% of D 1 coaches right now.

The butchering of clock at the highest levels of football NFL and Division I football is mind boggling. Whether is knowing when, and when not to take timeouts, when and when not to stay in bounds, when and when not to speed up or slow down. Every single week you see teams run out of time or leave too much time for an opponent to score.
It is truly remarkable how many very well paid coaches are incompetent in basic areas

The Vikings last play was one I found amusing.

They had 4th and 8 and Cousins throws a 3 yard pass to the TE who is well covered. Are you kidding me ?

I could see it if maybe he was under duress and just had to throw it but that wasn't the case.
That tight end was open the entire game, so you knew he would be covered on the last drive.

Nice post. Usually people are spouting nonsense when they claim they could do something better than a particular coach. But in the case of clock management, I really believe you. The stats are readily available on when to call time outs and when to hurry up versus slow down. It's very surprising that some coaches still try to go with their gut or however they would describe it.

Nice post. Usually people are spouting nonsense when they claim they could do something better than a particular coach. But in the case of clock management, I really believe you. The stats are readily available on when to call time outs and when to hurry up versus slow down. It's very surprising that some coaches still try to go with their gut or however they would describe it.
substitute butt for gut and you have it

• Haha
Reactions: Juniper_Run
That was a disaster.

Second disaster was Huntley's dumb decision to try to stretch the football over the goal line in the Ravens-Bengals.

Worst call of the day had to be the roughing the passer call in the Vikings-Giants game. (Otherwise that game played out the way Vikings' playoff games always play out: 11-0 in one-score games coming in; you knew they would be 11-1 going out.
Harbaugh wasted two timeouts while under two minutes remained against the Bengals. I have no idea what these guys are thinking.

It was fun watching a defensive lineman run 90-plus yards with that fumble, but I thought they were going to call a block in the back when Andrews went down.

It's amazing how amazingly inconsistent the referees are these days.

What is the name of the book?

McDaniel said the issue for Dolphins is he was communicated to that it was 1st down not 4th down and so he was not ready with the right play call. How it’s not a QB sneak is a mystery to me.

Reactions: edub72
Agreed. How hard is it to yell QB sneak to your offense and line up and get 1 foot for a first down

Mayer and Foskey are 1 in a decade type players
mmmmmm

I think the root of the problem is that the head coaches refuse to delegate the decision to someone who can focus on it. The HC is thinking about other things and trusts that he will be quick enough to make the right decision in a split second. Every week precious seconds drip off while the HC tries to remember if it's right to call timeout here.

Skipping the Hail Mary is my biggest pet peeve. I think the NFL should declare that they won't count against a QB's stats because some guys would seemingly rather lose the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT