ADVERTISEMENT

Do not write about for whom the bell tolls Doyel, it tolls for you

melstew

All Star
Feb 2, 2005
Doyel of Indy Star is a very judgy guy, often looking down upon the doers of the sports world. He once said "you suck ND" in a column and although he has softened is not overly kind to Our Lady. He does like to virtue signal whenever possible. So there is Karma in the fact that he is current public enemy #2 of the PC police. The video of him and Caitlyn Clark is awkward, maybe even cringy, but him having to go on an apology tour is absurd. He is now a pariah of the right (for prior preaching) and the left (for asking Caitlin to flip him the heart sign). It's not at all fair but can't seem to work up a ton of sympathy for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
That person is a major league weasel, I highly doubt he ever played a sport. I also can't imagine that he brings subscribers to the IndyStar. I would almost have to think any traffic he generates through his click-bait is out-weighed but the people, like me, who now just stay away.

I've never read a word this guy has written, but it reminds me of when I was young living in the Chicago area when the tone of sports columnists changed from fans to critics. Criticism can be warranted, of course, but when you start every column looking to tear down someone or something, it gets old in a hurry. Younger posters won't know who I'm referring to, but you older folks may remember columnists like Bob Verdi and Dave Conden, who were old-school sports fans. They were joined by the likes of Bernie Lincicome, who was a know-it-all. I went from enjoying reading the sports columns to eventually not reading them at all.

"The universe does not carry debts, it returns to you what you give it" [somebody smarter than me].
This guy made a living criticizing others, often without apparent concern of whether it was justified, feeding into a growing outrage machine. But now that machine has turned on him. First he justified, then he groveled and said he learned a lesson and was "really, really, really sorry." Turns out he also referred to KC as "it" and "that" so he may have to add a couple more "really's". I am still not overly outraged by any of it. But like Seymour in Little House of Horrors, if you feed a monster enough, it may grow to eat you (although I think Rick Moranis lived).

Big time weasel

Indicative of majority of writers today that have zero pride in being fair reporters…it’s all about creating the story

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT