ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Brown

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Love that Notre Dame has rescheduled the visit. Former teammate of Kofi Wardlow. Played against great competition. Nice size for a corner at 6'0, 180lbs.

Perfect fit for Notre Dame. Offers from half the Ivy League, Duke, Stanford and Vandy. Also has commitable offers from Ohio State, Clemson, Louisville, Florida, etc, etc.

This kid is a perfect example of why recruiting rankings are an excellent guideline, but don't always tell the whole story on an individual basis. Brown was selected as an Under Armour All American despite his low 3 star rating.

Do me a favour and watch the tape. In the best year at CB in some time, you won't find 5 better CB films in the 2018 class than DJ Brown's and that's saying something when you factor in his competition. Serious sleeper here. Reminds me a lot of Julian Love's receruitment in that sense.

Spend a few minutes and enjoy. I really hope ND lands him to round out their 3 man CB class.

Love that Notre Dame has rescheduled the visit. Former teammate of Kofi Wardlow. Played against great competition. Nice size for a corner at 6'0, 180lbs.

Perfect fit for Notre Dame. Offers from half the Ivy League, Duke, Stanford and Vandy. Also has commitable offers from Ohio State, Clemson, Louisville, Florida, etc, etc.

This kid is a perfect example of why recruiting rankings are an excellent guideline, but don't always tell the whole story on an individual basis. Brown was selected as an Under Armour All American despite his low 3 star rating.

Do me a favour and watch the tape. In the best year at CB in some time, you won't find 5 better CB films in the 2018 class than DJ Brown's and that's saying something when you factor in his competition. Serious sleeper here. Reminds me a lot of Julian Love's receruitment in that sense.

Spend a few minutes and enjoy. I really hope ND lands him to round out their 3 man CB class.

I read that ND dropped interest when they received a silent commit from Boykin, who obviously has since had a change of heart. Very happy to read that Brown is going to be on campus early next week, but wish he wasn’t visiting Ohio St the following weekend. At any rate IIO, agree with your comments about this kid’s film. Hope like he’ll he ends up ND, and proves to be another Love caliber player.

We really needed his visit to SB to be his last stop.
Him going to OSU right after ND, just before NSD isn’t good.
I’m guessing Urban set it up that he would be at OSU directly before signing.

You never know - maybe he cancels the trip to OSU after being at Notre Dame....let's send some positive vibes his way!!

Hopefully he loves ND so much as a high academic kid he strikes a balance and cancels his Ohio State visit and or signs with ND anyways.

The hope is that he takes academics as seriously as he appears to. This is a kid that was committed to Virginia and is choosing to visit Northwestern and Notre Dame late in the process rather than Clemson, South Carolina and Florida, who are all pursuing him.

I never discount Urban in recruiting (I'm fairly certain he moonlights with the CIA to flip the commitments of Islamic extremists behind the scenes) but here is to hoping ND's combination of academics and football, the excitement surrounding Lea at DC and a close friend in Kofi Wardlow as his host is enough to push ND over the top.

OSU is just keeping him warm depending on what others do. I will be surprised if this visit actually happens. Not a commitable offer at the moment.

The hope is that he takes academics as seriously as he appears to. This is a kid that was committed to Virginia and is choosing to visit Northwestern and Notre Dame late in the process rather than Clemson, South Carolina and Florida, who are all pursuing him.

I never discount Urban in recruiting (I'm fairly certain he moonlights with the CIA to flip the commitments of Islamic extremists behind the scenes) but here is to hoping ND's combination of academics and football, the excitement surrounding Lea at DC and a close friend in Kofi Wardlow as his host is enough to push ND over the top.

Yeah, I thought he was going to be a ND lock after his visit was over, but the OSU visit is always concerning because Urban will try to convince he OSU the Harvard of Ohio.

Urban will throw out some of his "facts" like he did when they won the NC at Florida and he went on ESPN and said they were #1 in football and #1 in graduation of football players.

I believe Urban just lost his CB coach Kerry Coombs.

I like our chances. I like his film. He knows how to play CB.

I wonder what his challenge is with UVA. Is he just kicking tires or is he really looking for a new choice? Maybe he just wants to go farther from home.

Was it Wardlow or JOK that decommited from UVA last year to commit to ND?

I wonder what his challenge is with UVA. Is he just kicking tires or is he really looking for a new choice? Maybe he just wants to go farther from home.

Maybe he just wants a night or two in a King bed and a trip to Ruth Chris?

Reactions: hoopsstar12

JOK was the Virginia commit. Wardlow was a Maryland commit from the same high school, St. John's College, as DJ Brown.

IIO: for fun, any predictions to how we close? (And I notice you've been silent on Quinn?)

IIO: for fun, any predictions to how we close? (And I notice you've been silent on Quinn?)

Not sure how I feel about Quinn. The recruiting nerd in me wanted Frye because I think he's young and would kill it on the trail, but I have a positively strange feeling that Quinn is going to do a solid job, particularly in the coaching department. Do I feel like it's a Andy Heck type home run? No. But it's another food move for continuity. Quinn already knows Long's system (he was an offensive analyst previously). I like that in many ways ND can pick up where they left off and don't need to try to replace two All Americans while teaching a new offensive line coach a new system.

Count me as cautiously optimistic about Quinn as a short term fit.

As for how I think ND closes.... I'm going to say....

Lawrence Keys III
DJ Brown
Jarrett Patterson or C'Bo Flemister

And I'm going to be positive today in suggesting that ND manages to close on one of Nick Petit-Frere or Solomon Tuliaupupu, although I don't believe they lead for either as of today.

Reactions: iwish
IIO - how about the new Safety coach?

I honestly knew very little about Terry Joseph prior to his hiring, so like most, I did some research. My general thoughts are...

1. I love his recruiting background relative to the regions he recruits. I've long believed that ND's most important region in recruiting is the Mid Atlantic, up the eastern seaboard. In paricular, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, D.C. and Pennsylvania... Then obviously the Mid West. Joseph is a Louisiana guy who has recruited those regions and along with Clark Lea, Autry Denson and Mike Elston, they could make for an impressive recruiting quartet in a region that is saturated with talent.

2. I like the fact that at Texas A&M, Nebraska and North Carolina the pass defenses improved at each in the first years that he arrived. I don't think that's coincidental, nor do I think it's a coincidence that Nick Saban also interviewed Joseph. Probably a good coach and recruiter. A home run recruiter? I don't get that impression, but if he can steal a couple kids out of the Atlantic or the South East that Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Alabama etc, etc really wanted, then great! In a perfect world, Joseph and Lyght would be able to handle the entirety of the DB recruiting for the next two years so that Elston, Polian and Lea can work on front 7 recruiting, with Kelly, Quinn, Long, Alexander and Rees working the the offensive side of things.

3. Third, I like that he'll only be coaching safeties. I think that position group needs special attention given it's talented youth and underachieving veterans. I'm hoping for a couple position changes that will essentially make it a 7 man safety group for Joseph to focus on, consisting of...

1. Nick Coleman
2. Jalen Elliott
3. Devin Studstill (on transfer watch for me)
4. Alohi Gilman
5. Isaiah Robertson
6. Derrik Allen
7. Houston Griffith

I would like to see Jordan Genmark-Heath move to Rover to replace the vacated depth by Drue Tranquill who should start at Buck beside Te'Von Coney. A rover group of Bilal, JOK, JGH and Simon would be ultra competitive. 4 awesome athletes there at different stages of development. There is also Nicco Fertitta. It comes to a point i every player's career where they simply have to understand how they can best help the team. In Nicco's case, I wouldn't even care if I got a single rep at safety as a senior. I'd be a leader in the weight room and go to Brian Polian over the winter and try to secure my spot on every special teams unit. Just be the ultimate special teams hustle guy and who knows, maybe even their captain if you take it seriously enough. Paul Moala would br the final safety in the group and he's a definite scout team redshirt, IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXNDFan88
Bilal isnt a baller. Let the young guys play.

I think he still serves a role because the rover position changes week-to-week in terms of its needs. When you playba power running team that wants to put extra tight ends on the field or a fullback in the game, Bilal probably gives you your best option in the run game if Tranquill moves to Buck. The positon basically becomes more like a standard SAM linebacker.... Of course you could always just move Tranquill back there in a game like that and insert a Jonathan or Jamir Jones into the equation. It's nice to have options.

Bilal isnt a baller. Let the young guys play.
You don’t think so eh? People never learn. How many would have said the same about coney last year? Just curious. I think Bilal could be a solid player. Early in the year he was getting time and played pretty decent. Sure it’s a small sample, and I’m not saying he’s elite, but to cast him aside entirely? Seems harsh.

Bilal isnt aggressive enough. He needs to attack more. Its an instinctive thing. Thats my opinion

well, I guess a bad case of hemorrhoids for a long enough time could also have such effect, but yes steroids.

well, I guess a bad case of hemorrhoids for a long enough time could also have such effect, but yes steroids.

Don’t sleep on Northwestern landing Brown. They were the inside favorite going into his back-to-back visits in Chicago and South Bend. Even so, ND is admittedly tough to say no to for kids like Brown.

Odds are low he ends up in Columbus.

GOUNUII

Don’t sleep on Northwestern landing Brown. They were the inside favorite going into his back-to-back visits in Chicago and South Bend. Even so, ND is admittedly tough to say no to for kids like Brown.

Odds are low he ends up in Columbus.

GOUNUII

Kid cancelled his OV to OSU, decommitted from Virginia & ND just put him on a plane with all smiles.

I think we all know what that means...

IIO... saw he wasn't even ranked top 1000 last week, now ranked like 460 something in 247 composite (my go to). Haven't watched his film cause I'm lazy. Why was he ranked so low, why the massive jump?

IIO... saw he wasn't even ranked top 1000 last week, now ranked like 460 something in 247 composite (my go to). Haven't watched his film cause I'm lazy. Why was he ranked so low, why the massive jump?

Funny thing about some sites is they put in minimal time with some recruits, especially when they verbal early to certain schools. Brown then got offers from Clemson, ND, OSU, etc & they probably went back to re-evaluate. He is definitely a top 500 guy. No way he is anywhere near a 1000. Dabo, Urban & Kelly like him. (And Fitzgerald at Northwestern). Good enough for me.

Funny thing about some sites is they put in minimal time with some recruits, especially when they verbal early to certain schools. Brown then got offers from Clemson, ND, OSU, etc & they probably went back to re-evaluate. He is definitely a top 500 guy. No way he is anywhere near a 1000. Dabo, Urban & Kelly like him. (And Fitzgerald at Northwestern). Good enough for me.
UA all American too, no? How would you grade him approximately (example top 500 or top 300)

UA all American too, no? How would you grade him approximately (example top 500 or top 300)

I actually put a lot of stock into how IIO & Coach D (ND Rivals analyst) grade out players & they both agree he is legit. I wouldn’t say top 300, but somewhere between there and 500. He has a lot of upside to him which means he could be a very good player with good coaching & development.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
I actually put a lot of stock into how IIO & Coach D (ND Rivals analyst) grade out players & they both agree he is legit. I wouldn’t say top 300, but somewhere between there and 500. He has a lot of upside to him which means he could be a very good player with good coaching & development.
Well if he could be very good with good coaching and development... thank goodness he's not a qb... lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT