ADVERTISEMENT

Did Savvy Jack Just Signal ND to the BUG 10?

There’s no way JS wants to go down in history as the AD responsible for a non-independent ND Football program. No way.
How about being the AD that killed the Irish Guard as we knew it, full independence, real grass, and real marching band music?

How about being the AD that killed the Irish Guard as we knew it, full independence, real grass, and real marching band music?
1. Can’t please everyone.
2. The ACC deal was a stroke of genius and it was best for the entire athletic program.
3. The new turf was badly needed.
4. I love the band.

I'm not totally following you.

You say the Big Ten deal is IN EXCESS OF $1 BILLION, but your DIVISION QUOTIENT of $62.5 million is based on it being $1 billion ON THE NOSE. So, how much additional upside is there as respects THAT? How much IN EXCESS of $1 Billion?

You also say that this represents "FLOOR PRICING." As you see it, how much higher as per EACH TEAM can the price go? And how exactly is that determined?

You then say that the "FLOOR PRICING" comes to $72.916 million per team? Where did the extra $10 million come from?

Seems to me your number is creeping EVER CLOSER to $87 million, is it not?

And how does ND "match" that $72.916 million REVISED Big Ten "FLOOR PRICING"? By MERE ASSERTION? if so, on what basis other than some "parity" argument which, in fact, may NOT BE RELEVANT once all the numbers are in.

Put another way -- and in connection with the 3:30 time slot which you cite as often ND's -- will ESPN actually sign up ND for roughly $75 million even as it competes with the 3:30 Big Ten game?

The Big Ten deal will have long been completed by 2025. So, why would ESPN or any network then give ND that same size deal as the Big Ten's when in fact the 3:30 slot will thereafter become one of fragmented VIEWERSHIP? And that's without even factoring in the 3:30 SEC game.

I think HALF of what the Big Ten will be getting would be MORE APPROPRIATE which would move that number closer to BucksLAN's $40 to $50 million number, correct? Assuming his $87 million number is accurate.

Please understand that I'm merely trying to FOLLOW YOUR LINE OF THOUGHT HERE. If I'm missing something(s) critical, please SET ME STRAIGHT. But as it stands, I don't get your numbers, which as I've tried to point out, also don't account for ND coming LATE TO THE PARTY.
Sorry, that you're unable to follow me.

Next time I'll type slower!

In the mean time watch and learn....ND has 7 home games vs 6.....ESPN needs a competitive 3:30PM game....& coming late to the party is often better than being the first to drive!

ND has time to make a deal and as time goes by the price will go up!

Sorry, that you're unable to follow me.

Next time I'll type slower!

In the mean time watch and learn....ND has 7 home games vs 6.....ESPN needs a competitive 3:30PM game....& coming late to the party is often better than being the first to drive!

ND has time to make a deal and as time goes by the price will go up!
ESPN would rather aire the 2nd best game of the SEC at 3:30 than they would Notre Dame. Even the tier 2 Big 10 games out performed Notre Dame across the board last year. And with Oklahoma and Texas joining the conference, they are all but guaranteed to have an excellent "2nd best" game every week that's going to draw higher ratings than what Notre dame will bring in across 7 games.

Reactions: cheech and 4-4-3
ESPN would rather aire the 2nd best game of the SEC at 3:30 than they would Notre Dame. Even the tier 2 Big 10 games out performed Notre Dame across the board last year. And with Oklahoma and Texas joining the conference, they are all but guaranteed to have an excellent "2nd best" game every week that's going to draw higher ratings than what Notre dame will bring in across 7 games.
Man this guy knows everything about Notre Dame, about ESPN, about everything.

This is so dumb

If that is the case, there is no way the Big 10 wants ND to join. Terrible TV ratings. Thanks for pointing this out.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Man this guy knows everything about Notre Dame, about ESPN, about everything.

This is so dumb
Anybody that's not a Notre dame homer could tell you that. Just look up the ratings for Notre Dame home games compared to the SEC and Big 10, then compare 13 weeks to 7 weeks, it's not that hard to figure out with a simple Google search

If that is the case, there is no way the Big 10 wants ND to join. Terrible TV ratings. Thanks for pointing this out.
That's not at all what I was saying. Notre Dame doesn't have as much value (compared to the SEC or Big 10) to a singular TV network as a standalone independent, but as a conference member they do. It's not like Notre Dame games are some massive draw, they're routinely getting beat by B tier games from those two big conferences, and that's because their home schedule (which is all they have to go on) is relatively weak and only has 7 games, thus not as valuable or worth 75mil.

If you don't believe me, look at this article about 2021 ratings and tell me how many times ND falls below the 2nd rated game from the Big 2 conferences.

Reactions: 4-4-3
That's not at all what I was saying. Notre Dame doesn't have as much value (compared to the SEC or Big 10) to a singular TV network as a standalone independent, but as a conference member they do. It's not like Notre Dame games are some massive draw, they're routinely getting beat by B tier games from those two big conferences, and that's because their home schedule (which is all they have to go on) is relatively weak and only has 7 games, thus not as valuable or worth 75mil.

If you don't believe me, look at this article about 2021 ratings and tell me how many times ND falls below the 2nd rated game from the Big 2 conferences.

ND obviously isn't good enough for the Big 10. You guys should pass.

I get it, you don't want your team in the conference, you hate it, you're happy with their deal with the sinking ship that is the ACC.

You have just made multiple posts about ND's terrible TV ratings. As stated, the Big 10 can do better. And I suggest that the Big 10 do exactly that.

You have just made multiple posts about ND's terrible TV ratings. As stated, the Big 10 can do better. And I suggest that the Big 10 do exactly that.
I never said they were terrible, clearly they aren't terrible. But they aren't any better than 2nd or 3rd in the 2 major conferences, so why would tv networks bend over backwards and pay them that much money?

I never said they were terrible, clearly they aren't terrible. But they aren't any better than 2nd or 3rd in the 2 major conferences, so why would tv networks bend over backwards and pay them that much money?
They will. Watch them.

Exactly. And why would such a poor TV draw add anything to the Big 10? ND wouldn't.

Anybody that's not a Notre dame homer could tell you that. Just look up the ratings for Notre Dame home games compared to the SEC and Big 10, then compare 13 weeks to 7 weeks, it's not that hard to figure out with a simple Google search

I get it, you don't want your team in the conference, you hate it, you're happy with their deal with the sinking ship that is the ACC.
The gift that keeps on giving.

Why don't you put on a Scarlet Gray replica Jersey and go dot an I somewhere.

4th most views in the nation according to this article.

ND will sign a 5yr $350 million dollar contract or thereabouts.

Let's not forget about big streamers like Prime, Hulu and Netflix looking to break into the game. Notre Dame already showed a willingness to be creative in contracts when they inked with UnderArmour.

If the Big10 wants ND long term I think they need a southeastern footprint (FSU, Miami, GaTech, North Carolina) for recruiting and to pitch a national schedule. Fairly good educational schools as well.

Reactions: BGI User 669

4th most views in the nation according to this article.

ND will sign a 5yr $350 million dollar contract or thereabouts.

Let's not forget about big streamers like Prime, Hulu and Netflix looking to break into the game. Notre Dame already showed a willingness to be creative in contracts when they inked with UnderArmour.

If the Big10 wants ND long term I think they need a southeastern footprint (FSU, Miami, GaTech, North Carolina) for recruiting and to pitch a national schedule. Fairly good educational schools as well.
Total viewership is not a good metric. You need to look at TV ratings on a week to week basis, then you need to take in just the Notre Dame home games as that's what NBC would be paying for.

ND isn't signing any contract worth 70mil a year, certainly not with a big network and CERTAINLY not exclusively with a streaming network.

The Big 10 will not dip their toes into the southeast. Likely Stanford would be enough of a pull for Notre Dame to join the Big 10, and the conference is already national with the addition of the LA schools. On top of that, those schools you listed have extremely large buyouts and are basically untouchable for a dozen more years.

Total viewership is not a good metric. You need to look at TV ratings on a week to week basis, then you need to take in just the Notre Dame home games as that's what NBC would be paying for.

ND isn't signing any contract worth 70mil a year, certainly not with a big network and CERTAINLY not exclusively with a streaming network.

The Big 10 will not dip their toes into the southeast. Likely Stanford would be enough of a pull for Notre Dame to join the Big 10, and the conference is already national with the addition of the LA schools. On top of that, those schools you listed have extremely large buyouts and are basically untouchable for a dozen more years.
You have no clue what we are going to sign our tv deal for.

Here you go again, you know everything about Notre Dame and tv networks. That's impressive

Says who? Besides you, that is.
Use your brain, what other team out there would join Notre Dame in coming to the Big 10? It's not that hard to figure out. It's not any of the ACC teams, they're locked in. So you have to look at the Big 12 or PAC. Is it Oregon or Washington? Probably not. Is it any of the small market Big 12 leftovers? Absolutely not. Is it Stanford, a west coast rival of Notre Dame with excellent academics and athletics in the 6th largest TV market in the country? There's your answer.

Disagree.

$75mm is a 25% discount to market pricing, which is the cost of remaining Independent, Both the SEC & Big10 should want ND to be Independent because it pressure the TV networks. More bidders for live content drives the price higher!
Exactly

Some of these posters wet their pants at the slightest threat. They couldn’t negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag

1. TV Money - They will get much more in the Big 10
2. Access to CFP - They'll have access by remaining independent or joining the Big 10. Playoffs will be harder to reach in the Big 10, but the playoff is also expanding in half a decade. There may also be certain rules created that go against Notre Dame's favor in an expanded playoff, like conference winners and the like
3. Optimal conference home for ND olympic sports - logistically that is the Big 10. Too much travel with either the ACC or the SEC
Lol at the travel point…..you use that as
a reason….with big 10 having teams in LA and in North Jersey and MD? Lol

Just stop, you are pathetic.

Lol at the travel point…..you use that as
a reason….with big 10 having teams in LA and in North Jersey and MD? Lol

Just stop, you are pathetic.
I'm talking about just Notre Dame, try to keep up. They already travel to California every year. But traveling inside the Big 10 footprint for most of your games as opposed to going up and down the east coast is a major difference, and your own AD pointed it out.

Use your brain, what other team out there would join Notre Dame in coming to the Big 10? It's not that hard to figure out. It's not any of the ACC teams, they're locked in. So you have to look at the Big 12 or PAC. Is it Oregon or Washington? Probably not. Is it any of the small market Big 12 leftovers? Absolutely not. Is it Stanford, a west coast rival of Notre Dame with excellent academics and athletics in the 6th largest TV market in the country? There's your answer.
An Ohio St. fan telling someone to use their brain.

Reactions: Golson5
Yep, that is why ND is in demand from every conf right now…lol. Get your arguments straight

Reactions: Golson5
I'm talking about just Notre Dame, try to keep up. They already travel to California every year. But traveling inside the Big 10 footprint for most of your games as opposed to going up and down the east coast is a major difference, and your own AD pointed it out.
Hey clown, quit using selective quotes from Swarbick to suit your own narrative.

And yet he scheduled Shamrock Series games that had the team fly from NY to LA …guess you believed Urbie when he said he didn’t know that girl

My answer is that ND is not joining the Big 10. Your suggestion that getting Stanford to join the conference would cause ND to come along is nonsense.

Yep, that is why ND is in demand from every conf right now…lol. Get your arguments straight
Good God you have no idea what you are talking about and it's hilarious to me. I already proved my point to you with that article and you still aren't getting it.

"We ain't come here to play school."
Exactly my point.

Just admit you're a home board Notre Dame fan that does not understand football outside of Notre Dame and has nothing interesting to say. It's believable. You're a broken record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT